Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Defensive minefields (or are they?)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Defensive minefields (or are they?) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Defensive minefields (or are they?) - 7/1/2002 8:59:03 PM   
Beckles

Question for the developers: If you own a beach (no airfield or port) and lay a minefield in that hex, is it defensive or offensive? I thought it would be offensive (because I thought the new rules were it was defensive in a BASE hex), but based on my in game experience (i.e., my TF's sail through it instead of around it), it looks like it's defensive.
Post #: 1
- 7/1/2002 9:12:25 PM   
Huskalator

I was under the impresssion that minefields you lay down are plotted so your own ships have a very low chance of hitting them. Is this true? I keep hitting my own mines.

SW Episode 2:Good movie, bad love story

Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.

(in reply to Beckles)
Post #: 2
- 7/1/2002 9:15:51 PM   
Beckles

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Deep Breakfast
[B]I was under the impresssion that minefields you lay down are plotted so your own ships have a very low chance of hitting them. Is this true? I keep hitting my own mines. [/B][/QUOTE]

In 1.10/1.11 it was changed so there are now two types of minefields, offensive and defensive. Only defensive are plotted, so it is unlikely you will hit them. Offensive are not plotted, however, your ships will supposedly steer clear of them.

I haven't played with it a lot, but I have laid a minefield in a beach hex, and now my ships are sailing through it. Assuming the programming to have your ships avoid offensive minefields is correct, this means it must be a defensive minefield ...

OR, is it possible that the path shown goes through the minefield, but my ships are actually sailing around them ... in other words, do ships always follow the path shown?

(in reply to Beckles)
Post #: 3
- 7/3/2002 8:00:29 PM   
Beckles

Come on, Mike Wood or someone at Matrix/2by3, I thought this was a really simple question that is not clear in the documentation. Is a minefield placed in a hex with a friendly beach (but no base) a defenisve or offensive minefield?

Thanks!

(in reply to Beckles)
Post #: 4
Response... - 7/3/2002 8:23:19 PM   
Erik Rutins

From the v1.10 readme:

27) The code for laying, entering, searching minefields has been rewritten. Minefields placed anywhere other than a friendly base, airfield, port or friendly beach are now defined as offensive mines. These are not as well mapped or maintained as well and are much more likely to damage friendly ships.

:)

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Beckles)
Post #: 5
Re: Response... - 7/3/2002 8:25:25 PM   
Beckles

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Erik Rutins
[B]From the v1.10 readme:

27) The code for laying, entering, searching minefields has been rewritten. Minefields placed anywhere other than a friendly base, airfield, port or friendly beach are now defined as offensive mines. These are not as well mapped or maintained as well and are much more likely to damage friendly ships.

:)

Regards,

- Erik [/B][/QUOTE]

So in other words, it was just me the documentation was not clear to ...

Thanks!

(in reply to Beckles)
Post #: 6
- 7/3/2002 10:26:23 PM   
FAdmiral

The red dot beaches are Japanese and the blue dot beaches
are Allies. Set your minefields accordingly.

JIM BERG, SR.

(in reply to Beckles)
Post #: 7
- 7/3/2002 11:47:03 PM   
zed

Thanks,
I was confused as well and kept getting hoist with my own petard, so I stopped mine operations altogether.

(in reply to Beckles)
Post #: 8
- 7/14/2002 9:09:51 PM   
MatrixFan

Just wondering how the hell do you lay a defencive minefield in say rabaul or truk all that happens when you click on destination the ML'S say it will more there but if you click on a actually hex number it says it will conduct mine laying ops how the hell do yah lay the mines if theres a base especially at rabaul cuz there is not a single spot in the hex that wont show rabaul if yah click on it. Have yet to lay mines by clicking on the base

(in reply to Beckles)
Post #: 9
- 7/15/2002 1:53:30 AM   
FAdmiral

I have found it to be a big waste of mine resources to lay
them at a major enemy base. The AI usually always has minesweepers at those bases to clean them up. Best to lay
them at shallow water hexes leading into those bases. Smaller
enemy bases just getting started are OK to mine.

JIM BERG, SR.

(in reply to Beckles)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Defensive minefields (or are they?) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI