Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/8/2010 8:15:52 PM   
Motomouse

Holy Cow, 11 Pound Sterling = 12,25 Euro

Downloading!!! That is a deal, thanks bloke!

< Message edited by Motomouse -- 1/9/2010 10:23:07 AM >

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 31
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/8/2010 8:33:22 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Slick Wilhelm

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barthheart
Anything special about the install? Other than do it as Admin of course.....

Yes, don't install to C:\Program Files

Instead, create a directory called C:\Games and install into that.

Of course, you could call that directory anything you'd like, so C:\Games is just an example.

Many people using Vista and Windows 7 have had problems when they installed into C:\Program Files.

Also, make sure to let the installer install the latest Direct-X and anything else it wants to install. There is a third party folder that comes with the download, and if the installer doesn't prompt you to install Direct-X and that other Microsoft C++ 2005 app, then go into that third party apps folder and make sure you install everything(as Administrator, of course).

Edit: Almost forgot...currently RoF does not support SLI or Crossfire, so if you have that enabled, it could actually lower your fps in the game. So the word on the street is that you should keep SLI and Crossfire disabled for RoF until neoqb adds support for it.

I'm using a single Radeon 4870(1GB) and it's smooth as a baby's bottom with all detail level set to high.

Also, in Nvidia control panel or ATI CCC, make sure AA and AF is set to "Application control".

I know, I make it sound like RoF is picky about everything. I can be, depending upon what OS and hardware you have. I've been spending my off time doing tech support on the RoF forum, and there are lots of folks having issues with Windows 7 and Vista 64-bit.

The neoqb devs are actually encouraging people to stay on Windows XP for now.

Cool, thanks for the tips. I never install to C:\Program Files if I can avoid it any way. Don't have Crossfire of SLI on. Should be easy....

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to SlickWilhelm)
Post #: 32
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/8/2010 10:06:08 PM   
EagleMountainDK

quote:

ORIGINAL: JudgeDredd

To post a positive to Slicks post - I have Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit installed and the game runs flawlessly. I haven't had a single crash/hang/glitch.

I haven't played online yet so can't comment on that.

I'm running Win 7 64 bit - no problems. And I tried some coop mp 2 (human) vs 2 (ai) yesterday. It worked flawlessly, can't really remember a game that could connect the first time around. Its really a nice sim.

I have some pictures posted here: http://www.twins4ever.dk/cougarscorner/index.php?/topic/2288-rise-of-flight/

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 33
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 1:11:20 AM   
Aurelian

quote:

ORIGINAL: GoodGuy

@Aurelian:

What's your first impression, though (gfx, look and feel, number of missions, general amount of content... is there a mission builder)?

Very impressed with the gfx/fm/dm. There is a mission builder, but I haven't used it. The career isn't much to write home about. And I have no desire to play online.

There is a demo you can d/l. It has a 72 hour limit. I didn't bother with it, as the 1/2 price sale was irresistible. Like JD, I went and bought it all.

I do wish it had a real padlock. That red pointer helps, but I'd rather have eyes on the plane. (No, I'm not going to buy a TIR, especially as I just dropped a good bit on money fixing the car.)

The only part I don't like is the mandatory internet. But I think that is being addressed.

(in reply to GoodGuy)
Post #: 34
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 1:14:58 AM   
htuna

Sale ends today, so anyone thinking about it.. go for it now!

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 35
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 1:06:49 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

@Aurelian:

What's your first impression, though (gfx, look and feel, number of missions, general amount of content... is there a mission builder)?

Very impressed with the gfx/fm/dm. There is a mission builder, but I haven't used it. The career isn't much to write home about. And I have no desire to play online.

There is a demo you can d/l. It has a 72 hour limit. I didn't bother with it, as the 1/2 price sale was irresistible. Like JD, I went and bought it all.

I do wish it had a real padlock. That red pointer helps, but I'd rather have eyes on the plane. (No, I'm not going to buy a TIR, especially as I just dropped a good bit on money fixing the car.)

The only part I don't like is the mandatory internet. But I think that is being addressed.

why don't you have padlock ? do you have it turned on ? I think it is one of the options you have to check, I use it, and it follows the plane where ever it is at ?

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 36
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 1:13:16 PM   
Grim.Reaper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

@Aurelian:

why don't you have padlock ? do you have it turned on ? I think it is one of the options you have to check, I use it, and it follows the plane where ever it is at ?

Hard Sarge, I hate to asks such a stupid question, but what exactly is padlock in the game? I always have it selected within the options, but not sure I noticed much with it inside the game. Do I have to do something manually within the game to actually use it? Or is this referring to the red/blue cone type objects that show you the general direction of the enemy planes?

Again, I'm sure this is such a newbie question:(

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 37
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 1:34:28 PM   
Chris Bisson

I grabbed this one after reading the thread. I haven't played around with any flight sims since Red Baron and Aces of the Pacific from Dynamix many years ago. The price was a no brainer I think. I didn't see any "extra planes" offered though. Tried it last night but for some reason the rudder would not work for me and I got frustrated with it (being tired didn't help I think) ..... Weird because it worked ok during takeoff but it didn't funtion so I could line up a shot on the road convoy in the training mission.

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 38
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 1:35:49 PM   
Hard Sarge

if you have it turned on, hit F8, and it will lock your eyes to the target (hit F8 again to change targets) you should also be able to set it to a joystick button, but I not done so yet

(if with in range)

you can use it for firing, if you line your self up, but the main idea is to follow the target

(no such thing as a Stupid or dumb question if you don't know or understand something, that is how you learn)

Post #: 39
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 1:37:29 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platoon Crusher

I grabbed this one after reading the thread. I haven't played around with any flight sims since Red Baron and Aces of the Pacific from Dynamix many years ago. The price was a no brainer I think. I didn't see any "extra planes" offered though. Tried it last night but for some reason the rudder would not work for me and I got frustrated with it (being tired didn't help I think) ..... Weird because it worked ok during takeoff but it didn't funtion so I could line up a shot on the road convoy in the training mission.

what plane ?

are you sure it was linked (should of been if it worked on take off)

(in reply to Chris Bisson)
Post #: 40
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 1:51:58 PM   
Grim.Reaper

Thanks Hard Srage. Another question. I believe you mentioned on this thread or another thread that you had the Logitech Extreme 3D controller. I'm thinking of trying another one and was curious about your impressions on this one. I have seen some reviews say its good and others where it breaks in 3 months. Specifically how is it with ROF? Also do you know if it works with Windows 7 64-bit?

Thanks!

< Message edited by Grim.Reaper -- 1/9/2010 1:53:03 PM >

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 41
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 1:52:01 PM   
SlickWilhelm

quote:

I didn't see any "extra planes" offered though.

The "Extra" planes are available for purchase via neoqb's store: http://riseofflight.com/en/store/planes

When you have selected a mission, you'll notice that all aircraft are listed, but any that you haven't purchased yet will not be highlighted...so you can't select them. Once you purchase these aircraft, they become "unlocked" and you may then select them.

What device did you set up to function as the rudder? A joystick axis, rudder pedals or keyboard? Does it work inside the controls utility? When you're in a mission, you can bring up the controls utility by right-clicking and selecting the little wrench icon.

Beta Tester - Brother Against Brother
Beta Tester - Commander: The Great War
Beta Tester - Desert War 1940-42

Post #: 42
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 1:52:11 PM   
uncc

Extra planes for RoF can be purchased through their store (available from their website).

quote:

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)

Post #: 43
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 2:03:45 PM   
htuna

Grim.. Padlock is a must (if you can't afford Track IR).... I program one key in the joystick for normal view.. one for NME padlock and one for Friendly Padlock... switching back and forth between normal view and NME Padlock, make dog fighting much more doable.. Thing that stinks is most MP servers have Padlock turned off, cause most of the flyers have that Track IR thing

(in reply to uncc)
Post #: 44
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 2:20:37 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

Thanks Hard Srage. Another question. I believe you mentioned on this thread or another thread that you had the Logitech Extreme 3D controller. I'm thinking of trying another one and was curious about your impressions on this one. I have seen some reviews say its good and others where it breaks in 3 months. Specifically how is it with ROF? Also do you know if it works with Windows 7 64-bit?

Thanks!

I have had 3 of them over the years, (one wireless) I wore the wireless one out, the other one, was more heavy handling, when not flying, then a breaking with in game (if I need another stick, I wouldn't think twice about picking up another one, so, if I needed to, I would buy another one)

Dead zone gets a little weak after a while, but most sticks do

I think it is a good decent cheaper stick (around 30 bucks or so) most that are under that, don't have the options you need and are just CHEAP sticks, as opposed to a good stick that is cheap :)

I have not tried it on my Vista system, but overall, I don't really know of any reason it wouldn't work (I don't really know of any sticks that are just win 7 or just 64 bit sticks ?)

Post #: 45
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 2:22:36 PM   
Hard Sarge

quote:

ORIGINAL: cmurphy625

Grim.. Padlock is a must (if you can't afford Track IR).... I program one key in the joystick for normal view.. one for NME padlock and one for Friendly Padlock... switching back and forth between normal view and NME Padlock, make dog fighting much more doable.. Thing that stinks is most MP servers have Padlock turned off, cause most of the flyers have that Track IR thing

hmmm, I have kind of picked that up from the forum, a bunch of elitists, if you don't have the toys I got, you shouldn't bother us

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 46
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 2:58:16 PM   
htuna

quote:

quote:

hmmm, I have kind of picked that up from the forum, a bunch of elitists, if you don't have the toys I got, you shouldn't bother us

Yep, I got into an MP game and I said why is Padlock turned off.. and they replied "This is the real thing".. I said what's real about not being able to follow a plane with your head.. and that's when they all said TRACK IR instead...

in their defense, I do think it's bad that padlock just immediately focuses on an NME plane.. they should make it so that you have to be at least looking at it before you can padlock (Is IL6 that way)? Maybe allow you to switch back and forth between padlock easily but the inital padlock, you need to be looking at the plane

Actually a guy at work lent me Track IR3, that he bought used and never used.. I'm gonna try it this weekend to see what all the fuss is about (guy got a great deal paid only 20 or 30 bucks)... not sure if the game will work with it (think IR4 and 5 are the current versions), but I'll give it a try

< Message edited by cmurphy625 -- 1/9/2010 2:59:42 PM >

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 47
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 3:36:12 PM   
Grim.Reaper

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

Thanks!

I have had 3 of them over the years, (one wireless) I wore the wireless one out, the other one, was more heavy handling, when not flying, then a breaking with in game (if I need another stick, I wouldn't think twice about picking up another one, so, if I needed to, I would buy another one)

Dead zone gets a little weak after a while, but most sticks do

I think it is a good decent cheaper stick (around 30 bucks or so) most that are under that, don't have the options you need and are just CHEAP sticks, as opposed to a good stick that is cheap :)

I have not tried it on my Vista system, but overall, I don't really know of any reason it wouldn't work (I don't really know of any sticks that are just win 7 or just 64 bit sticks ?)

Thanks again. I'm on the fence at this point. I currently have an X52 setup, but for some reason just feels very loose and not overly precise. However, not sure if the Logitech will be any better in this regard. Maybe how my X52 currently "feels" is how it is supposed to, I just don't have any experience with other controllers to really compare.

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 48
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 3:43:06 PM   
htuna

Think X52 is probably higher end than Logitech 3d ain't it?.. I was almost thinking of getting X52, but shied away cause of price..

Post #: 49
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 3:54:28 PM   
Grim.Reaper

quote:

Think X52 is probably higher end than Logitech 3d ain't it?.. I was almost thinking of getting X52, but shied away cause of price..

Yep, at least from a cost perspective:) Just wasn't sure if there was a different "feel" to a simpler joystick. I'm no flight sim guru, so I probably should have started with a cheaper stick but I found the X52 for a price that was reasonably in the neighborhood of the Logitech device (store was going out of business) :)

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 50
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 4:00:23 PM   
htuna

I'm thinking of grabbing the logitech one.. the one I have is a lil older.. rudder action did suck.. so I've been using the buttons instead.. but maybe my issue is just the dead space thing.. but was thinking if I got that one Judge pictured.. it might be better..

I'm not a guru either.. haven't really gotten into it since Fighter Ace years ago.. but this game is fun and addicting even if it is really hard!!!

I really think a few of us here should try and hook up and do some MP some night though!

Post #: 51
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 4:40:18 PM   
Halsey

So what are the system requirements on this monster?

Been waiting for a good WW! sim for a long long time.

The graphics look amazing.

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 52
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 4:56:29 PM   
hgilmer3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Halsey

So what are the system requirements on this monster?

Been waiting for a good WW! sim for a long long time.

The graphics look amazing.

Operating System Windows® XP / Vista
CPU Intel® Core™2 Duo 2.4 GHz
RAM 2 Gb
Free Hard Drive space 6 Gb
Joystick Direct X 9.0 compatible joystick
Internet Connection 256 Kb/s (required)
Graphics Card 512 Mb, GeForce 8800GT/Radeon HD3500
Sound Card DirectX 9.0c compatible

Supported Operating Systems
Windows XP / XP 64 Service Pack 2 or higher
Windows Vista / Vista 64 Service Pack 1

The thread "was on the verge" is about this game, too, so take a look at that thread for more information.

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 53
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 5:04:16 PM   
JudgeDredd

several posts back Mr Halsey

(in reply to Halsey)
Post #: 54
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 6:10:58 PM   
Hard Sarge

for buying planes, I would stay away from the DXII until you are a HARD Core player, this is a real piggy, for the "bad guys" the DIII and DIIIa and DVII are good planes to fly and learn from, the DXII and DrI will get you fustrated (I have not flown the DV yet ?)

did I mention that the DXII is a PIG :)

Attachment (3)

(in reply to JudgeDredd)
Post #: 55
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 6:14:28 PM   
Hard Sarge

oops, brif for the next mission, balloon attack and the results of the brif

(notice I crashed again, the Autopilot has crashed 4 out of 4 times, the AI has trouble flying the Pig)

Attachment (3)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 56
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 6:21:44 PM   
Hard Sarge

that last mission was odd, tried to dive on two N.17's, did a cruveing dive into them, and they turned into me !, so sort of a head to head, then a little tricky as they tried to get on my tail, then my mates came in, as they broke, I nailed both of them (a good quick snap shot on the first, then a little chase and shot off the controls on the 2nd)

then went to work on the trucks, got half way though, and then lost my veiw (the DrI was doing that to me, don't know why) this time I had to hold on to snap view forward, to be able to see forward (if I let go, my view went about 2 feet over top of my wing (think it is padlocking onto something)

had a lot of fun trying to get back home, then turn on autopilot so I could hit the bathroom, get back and watch the plane ram into the ground

(I think they better promote me into a postion where I don't hurt somebody)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 57
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 6:40:07 PM   
Barthheart

Well got the joystick this morning and instead doing work around the house, like my wife asked , I fired this up.

WOW! It's been a long time since I did any sim flying so I'm way rusty but this is great fun! Hard, but fun.

Even with lots of helper settings just keeping the things in level flight can be a challenge.

Working my way through the training mission.... good work out.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Hard Sarge)
Post #: 58
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 7:22:37 PM   
Grim.Reaper

quote:

I'm thinking of grabbing the logitech one.. the one I have is a lil older.. rudder action did suck.. so I've been using the buttons instead.. but maybe my issue is just the dead space thing.. but was thinking if I got that one Judge pictured.. it might be better..

I'm not a guru either.. haven't really gotten into it since Fighter Ace years ago.. but this game is fun and addicting even if it is really hard!!!

I really think a few of us here should try and hook up and do some MP some night though!

Although I'm not great at it, as you have already grasped by all my posts, I defintely wouldn't mind trying some MP with others. At least I will be good target practice for someone:)

(in reply to htuna)
Post #: 59
RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim - 1/9/2010 7:35:05 PM   
Motomouse

quote:

Hard Sarge
... a bunch of elitists, if you don't have the toys I got, you shouldn't bother us

Fired up my Freetrack Wimote Headtracking device (~10 Bucks and some soldering). Headtracking working fine with ROF, like my old (not so old usb version) sidewinder force feedback stick. (Will later try the Cougar)
What about your toys?

< Message edited by Motomouse -- 1/9/2010 7:37:06 PM >

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Rise of Flight WWI Flight Sim Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI