Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cargo planes in SPWAW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Cargo planes in SPWAW Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cargo planes in SPWAW - 11/14/2000 4:26:00 PM   
Steel Thunder

Hello When I played "Heroes of the Motherland" -campaign I noticed that russian cargo planes have speed of 4. I takes 9 turns to get paratroopers to their target! Then I do some research and noticed that all cargo planes in SPWAW have speed of 4. That is quite silly because infantry have speed of 10 and tanks have speed of 20-40. I think that planes have to be MUCH faster than now. Also I noticed that tanks fire to my planes with every weapon they have, not only AA-weapons. That makes me wonder that are cargo planes really planes in SPWAW or some kind of vehicles!!? Is this an OOB bug or feature in the game? Steel Thunder [This message has been edited by Steel Thunder (edited November 14, 2000).]

Post #: 1
- 11/14/2000 6:51:00 PM   
Warhorse

Huh???!!!! They are supposed to be 'plotted' like artillery, and come in on certain turns, don't see how you are manually moving them, did the class get changed in your oob somehow?? That's not how they are to be used!! Mine come in like an airstrike, and drop little parachutes in a string, like they are supposed too. ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

(in reply to Steel Thunder)
Post #: 2
- 11/14/2000 7:15:00 PM   
Steel Thunder

I also was suprised when I was able to move them. My oobs are edited but I only edited tanks not cargo planes. Think this is maybe bug in the "Heroes of the Motherland" campaign, have to do tests and check my oobs. Steel Thunder

Post #: 3
- 11/14/2000 7:38:00 PM   
David F. Wall

Ah, but you can use the cargo planes the other way, too. See Wild Bill's scenario (can't remember the title) with the Germans attacking a Norwegian airfiled. DFW

Post #: 4
- 11/14/2000 9:00:00 PM   
Charles22

I know just what he's talking about. I had a two KV1 flanking manuever around the south, and to my surprise spotted these grounded cargo planes. I decided to attack them and could actually fire on them with the main gun and mgs of one tank, while the other, for some reason or another, wouldn't fire it's main gun, though both tabks were in perfect health and hadn't fired a round before that. The planes would make a small move, and I would be able to take pot-shots at them again. Oh, how I so badly wanted to destroy them, but the enemy conceded before I could get too close, and the infantry never disembarked.

Post #: 5
- 11/14/2000 11:35:00 PM   
Ballan

If you dont pre plan the para drops and gliders in the setup phase the aircraft revert to the vehicle type units you mentioned. Use these units the way they are supposed to be used, in the set up planning stage and they provide a useful and interesting addition dimension to the game

Post #: 6
- 11/15/2000 2:42:00 AM   
Wild Bill

I just tried the scenario, Steel Thunder, and they flew fine for me. They came in on turns 2 and 4, flew across the map and dropped their paras. I did not fly them at all. That is how it should play. Which version of SPWAW do you have or had when you tried this? Again, it worked fine for me. WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 7
- 11/15/2000 2:45:00 AM   
Wild Bill

When I do use planes the other way, as David has mentioned, I change their move factor so you can move them the distance they can fly. In this particular scenario I wanted them to land so I did not set them us as paratrooper units to be dropped, but infantry units. The planes then had to land to disgorge their passengers. But in the Ruza Battle of Heroes of the Motherland, they are set up to fly, drop troops and continue off the map. And they just did that when I tested it. WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 8
- 11/15/2000 2:51:00 AM   
halstein

I have played around with the planes, and found that cargo-planes, can both be plotet for para-drops, or flown around like any other viechle. I know the Germans actually landed planes here in Norway. On Fornebu (the then airport of Oslo) they were quite suprised when they were fierd upon, as they had been told, they came to Norway to "protect" us. ------------------ Halstein

Halstein

Post #: 9
- 11/15/2000 3:02:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by halstein: I have played around with the planes, and found that cargo-planes, can both be plotet for para-drops, or flown around like any other viechle. I know the Germans actually landed planes here in Norway. On Fornebu (the then airport of Oslo) they were quite suprised when they were fierd upon, as they had been told, they came to Norway to "protect" us.
The airfield that was taken by the ME110 pilots was supposed to have be taken by a first group of paras who turned back due to bad weather. The second group who were suppose to fly in and land had to do so with the pilots and gunners of the ME110s using their rear gun as an improvised mg team to suppress the defenders. Sometimes it is surprising just how well the Germans did, the war is full of "by the skin of their teeth" battles that could have gone either way. thanks, John.

Post #: 10
- 11/15/2000 3:19:00 PM   
Steel Thunder

Wild Bill: My version is 4.4. I checked my oobs and they are allright. I played couple of battles with paratroopers and they worked as they should: planes came and paratroopers jumped near target hexes. So something odd happened when I play that scenario in Heroes campaign. I don't have saves left so I can't try again. Hope that doesn't happened again. Steel Thunder

Post #: 11
- 11/18/2000 10:01:00 AM   
Randy

I used the cargo planes like the helicopters in SP2 and 3. You have to do this in the scenario editor. I changed their movement to move farther (50), and then had them come in at turn 3 as reinforcements. Also they were pre-loaded. When they came in on turn 3,I just flew them in like cargo planes coming into an airfield.

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

Post #: 12
- 11/18/2000 10:21:00 AM   
BruceAZ

I think you forgot to set them up initially as they move like airplanes and drop the paras when you predetermine the hex during set-up.
quote:

Originally posted by Steel Thunder: Hello When I played "Heroes of the Motherland" -campaign I noticed that russian cargo planes have speed of 4. I takes 9 turns to get paratroopers to their target! Then I do some research and noticed that all cargo planes in SPWAW have speed of 4. That is quite silly because infantry have speed of 10 and tanks have speed of 20-40. I think that planes have to be MUCH faster than now. Also I noticed that tanks fire to my planes with every weapon they have, not only AA-weapons. That makes me wonder that are cargo planes really planes in SPWAW or some kind of vehicles!!? Is this an OOB bug or feature in the game? Steel Thunder [This message has been edited by Steel Thunder (edited November 14, 2000).]

Post #: 13
- 11/19/2000 8:18:00 AM   
rexmonday

I sent a few flanking units down towards the south in one of the Heroes of the Motherland campaigns, and I also ran into the planes moving at speed 4. I seem to have had much the same experience as Charles22. They were reported as being loaded.

Post #: 14
- 11/20/2000 11:25:00 AM   
Belaja smert

quote:

Originally posted by Charles22: I know just what he's talking about. I had a two KV1 flanking manuever around the south, and to my surprise spotted these grounded cargo planes. I decided to attack them and could actually fire on them with the main gun and mgs of one tank, while the other, for some reason or another, wouldn't fire it's main gun, though both tabks were in perfect health and hadn't fired a round before that. The planes would make a small move, and I would be able to take pot-shots at them again. Oh, how I so badly wanted to destroy them, but the enemy conceded before I could get too close, and the infantry never disembarked.
Same thing happened to me! Oh how much fun it would have been if my T-34s would have had enough time to beat the crap out of those grounded birds... Belaja smert

"THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YE FRET"

Post #: 15
- 11/20/2000 2:03:00 PM   
Steel Thunder

quote:

Originally posted by BruceAZ: I think you forgot to set them up initially as they move like airplanes and drop the paras when you predetermine the hex during set-up.
Yeah, I may forgotted that. But that doesn't explain that in the last battle (9 I guess) of Heroes Gerrys have cargo planes and they did the same as my planes. They moved like vehicles, four hexes per turn and never reached their dropping zones before game ends. And that happened also to my friend when he played same campaign. Steel Thunder [This message has been edited by Steel Thunder (edited November 20, 2000).]

Post #: 16
- 11/20/2000 11:52:00 PM   
BA Evans

Did you set up the cargo planes like you do for pre-bombardment artillery? During set-up you need to use the little parachute button. This is similar to the bombardment buttone (bomb button). BA Evans

Post #: 17
- 11/21/2000 2:50:00 PM   
Steel Thunder

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BA Evans: [B]Did you set up the cargo planes like you do for pre-bombardment artillery No I didn't, and I know that is why my planes did what they did. But as I said that doesn't explain why AI cargo planes acts like vehicles in the last battle of that campaign. Steel Thunder

Post #: 18
- 11/21/2000 7:51:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Okay ST. This is one I will look into. I did not encounter this problem in my play, but I will see if it happens by playing it again. WB ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder

Post #: 19
- 11/22/2000 1:36:00 PM   
Steel Thunder

WB: Except that bug Heroes is a good campaign! And not very easy if you don't buy many t-34s. My core force was mainly t-26, bt-7 and t-28 tanks. Those gerrys captured t-34s and kv-1s were really a suprise! I will go next to Utah beach. I think that I will have quite a challenge with that campaign. Steel Thunder [This message has been edited by Steel Thunder (edited November 22, 2000).]

Post #: 20
- 11/24/2000 4:51:00 AM   
rexmonday

I encountered the same weird 4/hex a turn cargo planes during one of the Watchword Freedom scenarios. It took them about 8 turns to get to their drop zone, and then they crept away again vvveeerrryyyy slowly. I was even able to shoot at them with the main gun of my tanks. Summat weird is happening here...

Post #: 21
- 11/25/2000 5:11:00 AM   
panda124c

quote:

Originally posted by rexmonday: I encountered the same weird 4/hex a turn cargo planes during one of the Watchword Freedom scenarios. It took them about 8 turns to get to their drop zone, and then they crept away again vvveeerrryyyy slowly. I was even able to shoot at them with the main gun of my tanks. Summat weird is happening here...
Playing an American invasion I purchased four C-47 and some troops to drop. The A/C showed up on the map during the setup so I loaded the troops. Then I set the drop zone. From the first turn the A/C showed up on the map with a movement, I forget what the movement value was. However I just ignored these units and sure enough on the turn that they were scheaduled to drop the troops the C-47's flew onto the map and dropped the troops then disappeared from the map. The trick appears to be to just ignore the A/C that are scheaduled to drop units. It appears that if the A/C are over land and have not reached the scheaduled drop turn you could shoot them up with any troops that found them. A bug or a limitation, more likely a limitation of the game.

Post #: 22
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Cargo planes in SPWAW Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI