Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Do Strat bombers have any other role besides strat bombing?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Do Strat bombers have any other role besides strat bombing? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Do Strat bombers have any other role besides strat bomb... - 1/22/2010 7:42:09 PM   
Harvey Birdman

The manual isn't clear if strat bombers have any role in the "air recon", "air strike" or "attack enemy fleet" action button missions.

I'd guess no. If the answer is yes, who's better at naval interdiction, air army's/divisions or strat bombers?

Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are as inexhaustible as Heaven and Earth, unending as the flow of rivers and streams; like the sun and moon, they end but to begin anew; like the four seasons, they pass away but to return once more. Sun Tzu
Post #: 1
RE: Do Strat bombers have any other role besides strat ... - 1/22/2010 9:02:26 PM   
Harbinger

Fighter Air (Air Div) can perform Air vs Air missions and Recon. They also protect against enemy Air.

Tactical Bombers (Air Army) can perform Air to Ground attacks, Sea Zone attacks and Recon.

Strategic Bombers can perform Strategic Bombing missions against enemy cites or resources, Sea Zone attacks and Recon.

To my knowledge, there is no distinction between Tac Air and Strat Air for the results in a Sea Zone attack.

Assume nothing.

(in reply to Harvey Birdman)
Post #: 2
RE: Do Strat bombers have any other role besides strat ... - 1/22/2010 10:22:59 PM   
Harvey Birdman

quote:

Fighter Air (Air Div) can perform Air vs Air missions and Recon. They also protect against enemy Air.

Tactical Bombers (Air Army) can perform Air to Ground attacks, Sea Zone attacks and Recon.

Wow, the manual, didn't make that clear either. I assumed both air divisions and air army's were a mix of fighters and tac bombers. I guess I should have assumed nothing. Thanks for answering my question Harbinger.

I wonder why they didn't call an air division a "fighter"; and an air army a "tactical bomber"?

Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are as inexhaustible as Heaven and Earth, unending as the flow of rivers and streams; like the sun and moon, they end but to begin anew; like the four seasons, they pass away but to return once more. Sun Tzu

(in reply to Harbinger)
Post #: 3
RE: Do Strat bombers have any other role besides strat ... - 1/22/2010 10:49:04 PM   
Razz1

ah.... Cost!
You loose a hit point against the Strategic Bomber and its alot more PP to replace it.

(in reply to Harvey Birdman)
Post #: 4
RE: Do Strat bombers have any other role besides strat ... - 1/23/2010 2:27:12 PM   
Harbinger

quote:

I wonder why they didn't call an air division a "fighter"; and an air army a "tactical bomber"?

I believe the name changes were made in the 1.60 patch. To my knowledge, the manual has yet to be updated with any of the changes made from the patches, but I think the information was released in a readme file along with the patch.

Assume nothing.

(in reply to Razz1)
Post #: 5
RE: Do Strat bombers have any other role besides strat ... - 1/23/2010 9:41:09 PM   
New York Jets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harbinger

Strategic Bombers can perform Strategic Bombing missions against enemy cites or resources, Sea Zone attacks and Recon.

To my knowledge, there is no distinction between Tac Air and Strat Air for the results in a Sea Zone attack.

How come, when I activate a strategic bomber unit, the "Sea Attack" option does not appear?

"There comes a time in every man's life, and I've had plenty of 'em."

- Casey Stengel -

(in reply to Harbinger)
Post #: 6
RE: Do Strat bombers have any other role besides strat ... - 1/23/2010 11:27:29 PM   
Harbinger

The Strat Bomber or Tactical Bomber must be within range (I believe 6-8 hexes) of a Sea Zone for the option to appear.

Assume nothing.

(in reply to New York Jets)
Post #: 7
RE: Do Strat bombers have any other role besides strat ... - 1/24/2010 5:18:46 AM   
New York Jets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Harbinger

The Strat Bomber or Tactical Bomber must be within range (I believe 6-8 hexes) of a Sea Zone for the option to appear.

I have 8 Strategic Bomber units placed between London and the Dover coastline, and when I activate them they do NOT get the Sea Attack option.

- Casey Stengel -

(in reply to Harbinger)
Post #: 8
RE: Do Strat bombers have any other role besides strat ... - 1/24/2010 6:07:45 AM   
Harbinger

Perhaps it is my mistake and Strat Bombers are not able to make sea Zone attacks.

Assume nothing.

Post #: 9
RE: Do Strat bombers have any other role besides strat ... - 1/24/2010 6:56:13 PM   
Maximeba

quote:

I'm not sure a strat bomber can make sea zone attacks. I have 3 Brits by Norwich and 3 American bombers on the North Sea cost in England and the sea zone attack symbol never comes up for them.

Wes
Allies Forever

(in reply to Harbinger)
Post #: 10
RE: Do Strat bombers have any other role besides strat ... - 1/24/2010 7:23:38 PM   
Harbinger

Really? I thought I had read in the manual that Strat Bombers could make Sea Zone attacks. Perhaps I am mistaken. My apologies.

Assume nothing.

(in reply to Maximeba)
Post #: 11
RE: Do Strat bombers have any other role besides strat ... - 1/24/2010 10:11:33 PM   
Bleck

Fighters:
- attack enemy air unit

Tactical bombers
- attack enemy fleet
- attack enemy land unit

Strategic bombers:
- attack enemy city
- nuclear strike

Wastelands Interactive member (Programmer)

(in reply to Harbinger)
Post #: 12
RE: Do Strat bombers have any other role besides strat ... - 1/25/2010 3:26:31 AM   
New York Jets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bleck

Fighters:
- attack enemy air unit

Tactical bombers
- attack enemy fleet
- attack enemy land unit

Strategic bombers:
- attack enemy city
- nuclear strike

Strategic Bomber units should have some level of sea attack capabilities. Lower than Tactical Bomber units, yes, but they should have the capability.

- Casey Stengel -

(in reply to Bleck)
Post #: 13
RE: Do Strat bombers have any other role besides strat ... - 3/17/2011 5:58:30 PM   
Akmatov

Not really.  Certainly in the Pacific the USAAC B-17s which were touted as being capable against ships almost never hit a moving ship.

Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> WW2: Time of Wrath >> Do Strat bombers have any other role besides strat bombing? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI