Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: WaW Revised Version R Available

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: WaW Revised Version R Available Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: WaW Revised Version R Available - 9/10/2009 1:15:03 AM   
HamburgerHill

Sorry if I offended anyone. I wasn't taking sides in a debate over tactics.

As far as facts go. Wheat is correct in stating that 16 million americans served in the armed forces during WW2.

To put that in contrast.
3.5 million british served and 18 million Germans.
That's a 4 to 1 ratio (American to British)

I don't think there would be any Brits who served in WW2 who would not admit to breathing a sigh of relief when they found out the Americans joined the war.

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 61
RE: WaW Revised Version R Available - 9/10/2009 3:20:17 AM   
bwheatley

btw explorer can you think of a way to simulate if japan or germany takes a hex with an HQ with a ton of supplies to get a portion? I cant think of a way to do it in events but it would be cool if we could do that. Given axis a little something to look forward too.

(in reply to HamburgerHill)
Post #: 62
RE: WaW Revised Version R Available - 9/10/2009 3:23:22 AM   
bwheatley

hell if we cant script it in via based on units themselves we can make events. say CITY level X 2000 / Random # upto 75% = Amount of supply you get
that would make germany fight for all these little cities and they can try to play fast and loose with supply because they are pushing hard to take supplies from the enemy.

Easy event to code.

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 63
RE: WaW Revised Version R Available - 9/10/2009 5:24:27 AM   
explorer2

I appreciate all the ideas and discussion here.
Also the desire of many for me to get version S out ASAP.
Unfortunately, my life is getting far more demanding than previously, so my amount of time available is not as much as before.
That doesn't mean I'm not committed to continuing, just slower.
Another factor is as the number of events and changes continues to increase, the number of interactions between them increases, and the opportunities of errors and me missing something increases a lot!
And testing these changes is quite difficult because you have to play the game out to wherever the new thing is, and my computer . . i. .s . . .s. .l . .o. . w. . .
To give an example, to change Italian entry from fall of Lille to fall of France, which I initially thought was just one little change, actually effects 5 different events. I didn't even think about those others, so when I tested I had some humdinger problems still working on correcting. I could go on....
So.... thanks for all the discussion, keep it up, I read them and consider them all, though I"m getting slower in responding than I would like.
I don't want to release a version that will have errors that have a substantial impact on the game, so I try to not just code, but code and test.
Because of this and my other non AT commitments, version S is very doubtful to be released this weekend. Sorry.

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 64
RE: WaW Revised Version R Available - 9/10/2009 5:56:09 AM   
bwheatley

Cool if you want i can help you out with the code shiz :) waw has always been a group effort.

(in reply to explorer2)
Post #: 65
RE: WaW Revised Version R Available - 9/12/2009 9:10:13 PM   
bwheatley

I've started working from the WAW S template explorer sent me.
Made these mods so far and then will play test with my friend and if all goes well will push the changes out to the site.
**BUGS**
Rule Changes Event had freexp set to 50 & 60 both in 1941. Going to make 60 free XP take effect in 1943.

**Additions**
Added Accelerate Ship production.
This will increase the random chance of you getting a hull built (Defaults before doubling are CA 13%,CV 11%,BB 9%)

Added Available Manpower to score page as well as made some modifications to make it easier to read
When each batch of US cities joins the allies another 1500 manpower will come into allied pools
Added a new card for WA in 1943 to add 800 manpower to the pool. At a cost of 500PP and a lose of 10% morale to the troops.
Added a new card for Germany in 1944 to add 800 manpower to the pool. At a cost of 500PP and a lose of 10% morale to the troops.
Dropped soviet partisans from 8 to 5 but gave them more supply to be able to function for longer periods of time.
Carriers aircarry limit changed to this (CV1-4) 2,4,6,10 from 2,7,10,14

Changes i'm working on still.
Card for winter prep. (cut readiness losses) and/or research tree for winter prep
Possibly a fleet card for the US and japan to build fleets with PP's.

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 66
RE: WaW Revised Version R Available - 9/14/2009 4:43:14 AM   
bwheatley

Ok got the new winter prep stuff done and
now the azores will become part of the allies in 1943 since historically the azores allowed allies to have a base there. Much less annoying this way imho.

Adding winter prep research (level 1,2,3 give you 25%,50%,75% reduction in winter penalties.)
Changing Azores to join western allies.

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 67
RE: WaW Revised Version R Available - 9/15/2009 3:27:46 AM   
bwheatley

Adding a cap for partisan spawning now. eventually it will be controlled by cards you can play.

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 68
RE: WaW Revised Version R Available - 9/15/2009 3:39:24 AM   
bwheatley

just finished up changes and going to play through with ara. going to mail what i have so far to explorer too now.

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 69
RE: WaW Revised Version R Available - 9/15/2009 4:47:30 AM   
bwheatley

also just tweaked to give germany inf 2, arm 2, staff 2, db2 and fighter 2. Going to play test now with ara.

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 70
RE: WaW Revised Version R Available - 9/16/2009 3:17:01 AM   
bwheatley

another thing i'm thinking of adding is cards for germany to play that will allow them to give back areas of land to become independant which should cut partisans in those areas. Also i want cards that will allow germany to befriend the population and allow them to build military units there although at a reduced rate. i'm banging that idea in my head.

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 71
RE: WaW Revised Version R Available - 9/16/2009 3:33:34 AM   
bwheatley

also i want to backport vics new weather changes into waw too.

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 72
RE: WaW Revised Version R Available - 9/16/2009 5:53:25 AM   
bwheatley

latest changes
flak 4 is nerfed compared to immobile flak 2. Increasing range to 4
flak 3 range being increased to 3 (reasoning..the way it is now nobody will bother to build flak since its more expensive and not much better then immobile flak)
flak was nerfed against carrier air and i have fixed it to fall in line with attacks again fighters

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 73
RE: WaW Revised Version R Available - 9/17/2009 3:01:35 AM   
bwheatley

Also making flak 88's cost guns 3. but they are AT 3 & flak 3 now. Before nobody used them because they were expensive but not really good long term investments

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 74
new waw weather system - 9/20/2009 7:53:34 PM   
bwheatley

working on a dynamic season based weather system have areas 1-9 done for fall only and for mud only. ill go back and do snow and other seasons when the fall season is done. here is the breakdown of zones

*WEATHER SYSEM*
Slot 9

Area 1 - England
Area 2 - Northern Parts of Europe
Area 3 - Norway and finland
Area 4 - Spain, most of italy, most of the balkins
Area 5 - Northern Soviet Union
Area 6 - Southern Soviet Union
Area 7 - China and Manchuria
Area 8 - Japan
Area 9 - Indian, Burma, Java
Area 10 - Pakistan Area
Area 11 - Africa & Middle East
Area 12 - SRA
Area 13 - Australia and south pacific islands
Area 14 - Rest of south pacific islands
Area 15 - North North America
Area 16 - South North America
Area 17 - South America

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 75
RE: new waw weather system - 9/20/2009 11:19:32 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: bwheatley

working on a dynamic season based weather system have areas 1-9 done for fall only and for mud only. ill go back and do snow and other seasons when the fall season is done. here is the breakdown of zones

*WEATHER SYSEM*
Slot 9

Area 1 - England
Area 2 - Northern Parts of Europe
Area 3 - Norway and finland
Area 4 - Spain, most of italy, most of the balkins
Area 5 - Northern Soviet Union
Area 6 - Southern Soviet Union
Area 7 - China and Manchuria
Area 8 - Japan
Area 9 - Indian, Burma, Java
Area 10 - Pakistan Area
Area 11 - Africa & Middle East
Area 12 - SRA
Area 13 - Australia and south pacific islands
Area 14 - Rest of south pacific islands
Area 15 - North North America
Area 16 - South North America
Area 17 - South America

Cool! I always wanted to do this but was too lazy...

Also want to add sea states some time....

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 76
WaW vR carrier tech - 9/21/2009 6:01:53 PM   
ernieschwitz

Hi all,

This seems like the place to post a question about version R WaW. I was wondering if it was terribly historical accurate for AXIS Europe to have carrier tech 2 at the beginning of the game. I can understand carrier tech 1, but carrier tech 2, is imho a bit too much. Germany may very well have had carrier air 2, but italy surely did not. And i just faced an italian carrier in the med, not something i think would have happened historically.

I checked the tech overview screen in a WaW vR for germany, and they do indeed have carrier tech 2, since they can upgrade to carrier tech 3. But heres the confusing part, they are not listed as knowing carrier tech 2. Very confusing. Maybe somebody already saw this problem and tried to fix it?

Anyway. If somebody can correct me, about italian aircraft carrier knowledge during the war, i will happily withdraw this, posting. I know about the graf zeppelin, but it was never built.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 77
RE: WaW vR carrier tech - 9/21/2009 6:10:33 PM   
ernieschwitz

I was just doing a quick google search and i found an excellent posting on another forum, about italian carriers during the war.

(http://www.google.dk/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=1&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ww2f.com%2Fnorth-africa-mediterranean%2F18307-italian-carriers.html&ei=cbK3SszMEIbJ-Qa7ov3tCQ&rct=j&q=carrier+italian+world+war+iI&usg=AFQjCNESiHYiM6EYgN9roMBZBfayZA8ytA)

Apparantly they had none, and tried to build two. And they had no Naval Air either. So... i am definately hoping that in version S germany, and italy only get carrier tech 1.

(in reply to ernieschwitz)
Post #: 78
RE: WaW vR carrier tech - 9/21/2009 7:32:12 PM   
ernieschwitz

Did some more research.

Until 1941 it seems the Germans where going to go with the Arado 197 (a biplane) as a naval interceptor/fighter, for the Graf Zeppelin. Seems to me this is Naval Air 1. Then in 1941 they where going for the good old messerschmidt bf 109T, as the main plane they would use on the Graf Zeppelin, and the less known Peter Strasser Carriers they where working on... this might indicate that they had Naval Air 2 in 1941...

Post #: 79
strange things - 12/5/2009 10:38:44 PM   
henri51

I gave this new R version a go. So far it is December 1941 and I have noticed a number of things that I perhaps did not understand.

1) When I went after Denmark (before the card came out - I had forgotten about that), the whole British fleet or most of it parked in Copenhagen where my artillery and air force battered it. After a few moves it was down to 2 cruisers that I finished off with my fleet. The British lost 7 batteships, 3 cruisers and a carrier, which seems like most of the British fleet. It looked promising for Operation Sealion after I took France.But the fortunes of war were about to shift the wind.

2)France took 7 months to conquer, and cost me heavy losses, due mostly to Lille being practically impregnable: when I attacked Lille with all my air force, the AF was almost annihilated, and the same thing happened to my land units, while my artillery barely could dent the defenders. Finally I bypassed Lille and beat on the defenders around Paris. They left Paris defended by only a HQ, so I moved in and won the battle of France. I played the Vichy card.

Now Italy has joined the Axis as well as the Balkan minors, but their production is very low not to say negligible. Italy has no Navy, as mentioned in an earlier post (bug), and there is little chance that they will have any significant Navy in the foreseeable future. Most of my German units are half-assed replacements due to the heavy losses in France, and I can't even upgrade most of my my tanks to level 2 because they don't have enough experience (infantry was raised to level 2 much earlier).

I created an Italian infantry unit in Albania, but for some reason i am unable to move any units from the Italian GHQ,although the supply net goes there.I have moved forward in Africa, but so far have met only a truck unit.Without an Italian Navy, chances of making hay there appear slim, although I don't know what will be the consequences of the destruction of the British fleet up North.

The Rumanians, Hungarians and Bulgarians have no units to speak of, so it looks like there is no way to take Greece and Yugoslavia before Spring (assuming my German units could get there before Spring, which looks unlikely given the slow winter movement rules). I am not even sure that I can move enough German units near the Soviet border before January to prevent a Russian declaration of war.

In other words, it looks like I am toast. Either I am a poor player or this scenario is now too difficult for the Axis.

Henri

Post #: 80
RE: strange things - 12/18/2009 7:45:33 AM   
kondor

I have a question. Playing as GE vs some friends... First a little background info-it´s June 1940, France is conquered...
My problem is-I cannot upgrade FT-s to II. I have researched it few turns ago, I have a lots of supplies and fair ammount of XP -about 50. It just say upgrade is not eligible?

I have learned from infantry upgrade that I need to have some XP to upgrade, but if I have less it says you need 40 xp for uograde, with fighters nothing. Just not eligible... Is it a date thing? And if it is, where can I read about it...
Thx!

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 81
RE: strange things - 12/18/2009 12:21:32 PM   
Barthheart

You can't upgrade fighters. It should say that in the breifing document, separate file, that comes with the scenario.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 82
RE: strange things - 12/20/2009 7:27:42 AM   
bbragnar

I have graphical issues when I try and play WaW R.  I have tried moving different folders around but no joy.  Everything else works fine.  I know it must be something simple but I don't know what.  Thanks in advance.

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 83
RE: strange things - 1/9/2010 4:54:40 PM   
tweber

I am playing version R and had a couple of comments and thoughts:

- It looks like no one can build night bombers and night fighters.  This is an interesting concept.  I think that the night bombers should do less structural damage than day bombers (now it is reversed).
- Looks like lots of discussion around the wx setup.  I am playing Britain and am enjoying a very mind winter.  I might pull the winter line south and make the sea front hexes of France and the Low country not winter. 
- I also am thinking it might be a good idea to make the urban and fortress areas not impacted by winter (call it winter quarters). 

(in reply to bbragnar)
Post #: 84
RE: strange things - 1/11/2010 12:58:42 PM   
kondor

Another question from my game.
I took France, Norway, Yugoslavia, Greece... ok, and few turns before operation Sea Lion-SU unfreezed because I had less troops on borders then SU.

My trouble now is that Rumania, Hungary and Finland did join Axis but Bulgaria did not!

Few turns have passed from then. I believe we are near 1942 now and I still have trouble transporting troops from Greece to Romania-Odesa, because Bulgaria is still neutral!? If I could I would attack it, but there is no option for that... And it is a strategic problem for Axis troops...

Is that a bug, or is there any rule about this which I am unaware of?

(in reply to tweber)
Post #: 85
RE: strange things - 1/24/2010 1:36:29 PM   
explorer2

Kondor-
Minor Axis Entry bug
Yes, unfortunately, that is a bug. Minor Axis join GE normally in all cases except when SU starts war with GE because GE did not have enough PP on SU border.
This bug has been fixed in version S. My apologies.

Tom-
Night Bombers -
You're right, night bombers have been disabled. I didn't feel that their values I had set quite worked well enough in all the various situations, so was working on adjusting and play testing when some pretty major life situations arose demanding all my energy and time. I don't think I'm going to have the time to get them "just right" and don't want to put something in that might unbalance the game in general.

British winter weather: Version S brings winter weather throughout Britain, but since they're suffering so much in 40/41 gives a 1000 supply bonus that winter only.

Winter Quarters
"- I also am thinking it might be a good idea to make the urban and fortress areas not impacted by winter (call it winter quarters)"
Very interesting idea, not too difficult to implement, and seems like it would be fairly historical.
But, wouldn't it have the consequence of
a)air combat in winter would no longer have any effect on it, and in history, air combat in winter seems to have been reduced compared to summer significantly
b) units attacking out of a city during winter would have a huge advantage? Was that historically accurate and / or how much do you think that would disturb game balance? That would seem to make attacking cities in winter virtually impossible. Very open to your input on this.

(in reply to kondor)
Post #: 86
RE: WaW vR carrier tech - 1/24/2010 1:51:00 PM   
explorer2

quote:

ORIGINAL: ernieschwitz

I was just doing a quick google search and i found an excellent posting on another forum, about italian carriers during the war.

Apparantly they had none, and tried to build two. And they had no Naval Air either. So... i am definately hoping that in version S germany, and italy only get carrier tech 1.

You make an interesting point, historically accurate. Here's the logic for this:
I did research also, and both GE and IT clearly had the technology to build even advanced aircraft carriers quite early on. They simply had not chosen to do so, though you're right, IT was in the process. With aircraft carriers, it was not so much the technology, but the perceived need, and this was one of the major issues in WWII naval combat compared to WWI.
That's why I believe, in a strategic game, as this tries to be, the GE player should have that option. It still takes quite a while to complete.
I think it is quite historically "plausible" (my goal for this scenario) for GE or IT to have completed carriers of level II abilities had they put their resources into it.

Thanks for the comments :-)

Post #: 87
RE: strange things - 1/24/2010 2:04:45 PM   
explorer2

henri51-

You are clearly playing the AI.
First, sorry about the Italian navy bug. Fixed in version S.
And since you're having trouble getting enough GE forces on SU border, warning, R also has a bug that if GE doesn't have enough forces there and SU declares war, Minor Axis never enter either. Also fixed in version S.

Balkans attack prior to summer of 1941:
In all the games I have either played or had reports of playing, this is indeed a key issue. From what I can tell, more than half the time this gambit does not pay off - it takes too long and stretches you too thin. That being said, I have seen it be successful numerous times, but those players are IMHO quite good.

Lille- Haven't had reports of that being as hard as it was for you. Maybe AI fluke (no units in Paris)? maybe random combat results bad luck? maybe something else? don't know.

You might try giving version S a go now with the 2 bugs fixed.
Do remember, AI is never as smart as human, ever, and always makes really stupid moves in WaW because it just can't handle all the multiple fronts, combined land and sea, or the strategic decisions necessary. It's only hope is numerically overwhelming you.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 88
RE: WaW Revised Version R Available - 1/24/2010 2:16:45 PM   
explorer2

quote:

ORIGINAL: bwheatley

just finished up changes and going to play through with ara. going to mail what i have so far to explorer too now.

You've done some very nice additions here. You're far more skillful than I am at this.
Unfortunately, my life has changed radically and my time for modding is negligible.
I'm trying to correct any errors in my versions now, but regrettably don't have the time any longer to continue improving WaW Revised. I'm hoping that new version S will be well balanced and error free and can then become an "approved" scenario.
After that maybe someone like you bwheatley or many others far more skillful than myself will pick up the flag and continue its development.
You've certainly indicated and implemented some good ideas here.

(in reply to bwheatley)
Post #: 89
RE: WaW Revised Version R Available - 1/28/2010 10:18:48 PM   
rjh1971

I don't know if this is a bug or a glitch, but better let you know, in vR Sevastopol was recovered by partisans, when I looked at it production it was sending it's production to AG Sud a german HQ, imo its production shouldn't be attached to any HQ much less an enemy one, I'm attaching a screenshot

Attachment (1)

GG's AWD, GG's WBTS, GG's WitE Beta Tester
Beta Tester: Panzer Corps, Time of Fury, CtGW, DC CB, DC3 Barbarossa, SC WWII WiE, SC WWII WaW, SC WWI

(in reply to explorer2)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: WaW Revised Version R Available Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI