Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Real world logistics question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Real world logistics question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Real world logistics question - 1/29/2010 7:43:50 PM   
cchiang

When I play some of the scenarios of ANW, I noticed that, for example, a squadron of F-4 Phantoms only has 5 extra loads of sparrows on a base.
so, say 12 Phantoms with 4 sparrows already loaded + 5 extra loads = 68 total sparrows.

Here's the thing, I've never been in the military (in any country), but wouldn't a standard base (whether it's Japan, US, or Turkey) carry more than just 68 sparrows?

I know the logistics is created by the scenarios designer/builder and it's all up to them, but I always curious about this... shouldn't a base carry more in real life ?

Thank you

Post #: 1
RE: Real world logistics question - 1/29/2010 9:35:10 PM   
FreekS

Hi cchiang,

For some of my scens (not all) I tried to research the number of missiles purchased and based logistics on that. It was very hard to find data as you can imagine, but Sparrows and AMRAAMs ARE expensive.

For some other scens I limited ammo to balance out the two sides.

For most scens I just gave more than enough.

Freek

(in reply to cchiang)
Post #: 2
Harpoon 3 [ANW] scenarios for the PlayersDB - 1/29/2010 9:37:50 PM   
hermanhum

I think that there may be other considerations at play, too.  For example, some may have been fired in battles previous to the one for your particular scenario.  Or, those may be the weapons allocated to your squadron.  In real life, there may be other squadrons (not currently under your command) who also call upon the country's supply of missiles.  Also, the re-loads available might represent the "immediately ready weapons".  Others might be available from the ammo bunkers and take longer to prepare than the length of the scenario allows.

(in reply to cchiang)
Post #: 3
RE: Real world logistics question - 3/2/2010 11:11:45 PM   
Bucks

quote:

ORIGINAL: cchiang

When I play some of the scenarios of ANW, I noticed that, for example, a squadron of F-4 Phantoms only has 5 extra loads of sparrows on a base.
so, say 12 Phantoms with 4 sparrows already loaded + 5 extra loads = 68 total sparrows.

Here's the thing, I've never been in the military (in any country), but wouldn't a standard base (whether it's Japan, US, or Turkey) carry more than just 68 sparrows?

I know the logistics is created by the scenarios designer/builder and it's all up to them, but I always curious about this... shouldn't a base carry more in real life ?

Thank you

cchiang,

There's also another point to be considered here. Real life operational tempos. In most cases a combat aircraft will only be capable of 2 - 3 missions/sorties per day, at best.

Your example of a F-4 Phantom, carrying say 4 x AIM-7 Sparrows would mean that it could fire say 8 to 12 missiles per day maximum. Of course there's no guarantee that the aircraft concerned will fire all of those missiles. So lets go with an average of 8 missiles per day, maximum use, with maybe even a zero usage depending on mission type. If the Phantoms were tasked to air to ground "mud moving" they may find they don't use any of their air to air ordnance due to possible fighter cover taking care of the opposition.

There are many possible reasons behind the scenario designer's allocation and it may simply be that he expects you can carry out the mission(s) in his scenario with the weapons he's provided. You can always use the ammo capacity feature to simply increase the difficulty inherent in the scen.

From some reading I've done on this topic, the RAAF for example has only a few days supply of air to air missiles. The Australian government has a deal with the US Navy whereby my Govt. contributes to the US Navy weapon procurement budget and we can therefore call on stocks of the required weapons. In other words we don't store large quantities of weapons and I suppose we believe we'd always have the opportunity to ship in required replacements as required.

Cheers

Darren

Editor HUD-II/HUD3 Harpoon Databases

http://www.taitennek.com/hud3-db/hud3-index.htm

Development Team H3ANW v3.8, v3.9, v3.10 & v3.10.1

(in reply to cchiang)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Modern] >> Harpoon 3 - Advanced Naval Warfare >> Real world logistics question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI