Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Da Babes Mod

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Da Babes Mod Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/13/2010 9:19:22 PM   
drw61

Scen 027 is the Dec 8 Start.

Available at http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2373258

(in reply to Cathartes)
Post #: 361
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/13/2010 9:34:36 PM   
Gary D

Joe;

Do you think it is smart to start a new game with either of the Lite v2 versions with "replacements set to off" or should we avoid the replacement issue and start with them on? I did a quick 14 day step through with Scenario 27, replacements set to off, and the units I was testing seemed to be working fine after I manually turned replacements on with them. I do not know much about the editor and TOE's but everything was "lining up" device by device and dragging the right quantity of new equipment into the units.

Just curious how you folks see it now. Thanks.

All the best!

(in reply to drw61)
Post #: 362
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/13/2010 10:08:42 PM   
JWE

Somebody, somewhere, asked if MO was Osterhaut. Yes. He's my friend Michael Osterhaut. He calls himself MO, and we all do too.

He's gonna frikkin hate this, but life's a witch, yeah? His written English might be be choppy, but that has nothing to do with what's on his mind. I was there when he gave a presentation to Henry Samueli that had both of us at the edge of our chairs.

Not only that, but this man is probably one of the world's 4 or 5 most knowledgeable authorities on 18th century naval warfare, and Age of Sail stuff in general. He don't write books, he sails on ships. I met MO when I first sailed on R.H.Dana's reconstructed ship, Pilgrim. He was the bosun, and as God is in his heaven, MO made that crew move sweet. He was also master's mate - corporate "master" pissants couldn't find their way from "A" mark to the harbor entrance.

A very good man. A very, very good man. Just my humble opinion.

(in reply to Gary D)
Post #: 363
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/13/2010 10:24:08 PM   
Mac Linehan

Gents -

After carefully reading this thread and the thread on "Da Babes 2" I am still uncertain about which download to use and what to put where.

There is an "Art" download, and six chunks. Am I using all six chunks and the art download; or do I use certain chunks that have the "corrected" files? Do I download all into one folder and use it as a new Scn 26 (Dec 7th Start?)

I have the original release (Dec 20th) "Da Babes Lite", and love it. Thank you all in advance; it is obvious that I am not getting the whole picture.

I am most appreciative of your help.

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 364
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/13/2010 10:50:31 PM   
Gary D

Mac;

I believe if you download the 6 chunks posted now, and unzip them all into your scenario folder you are fine. The art chunk gets unzipped into your art folder.

All the best

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 365
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/13/2010 10:52:19 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary D

Mac;

I believe if you download the 6 chunks posted now, and unzip them all into your scenario folder you are fine. The art chunk gets unzipped into your art folder.

All the best

Gary D -

You, Sir, are a lifesaver! Thank You!

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Gary D)
Post #: 366
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/14/2010 12:03:20 AM   
Mac Linehan

Gary D -

Will the Da Babes 2A update a savefile (Dec 8th 1941) from the original Da Babes Lite? Am not clear on this; or is a restart necessary for full feature (such as sub torpedo tube ratios) implementation?

Also - how can I tell that the update (002A) has been sucessfully implemented?

Thank You,

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 2/14/2010 12:05:31 AM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Gary D)
Post #: 367
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/14/2010 12:35:27 AM   
Gary D

Mac;

It gave me the "yellow text" data base update choice when I loaded my Jun 42 game, however personally it did not fix the issue with CV groups for me or include the torpedo tube modification. This was with scenario 27 the December 8th start. I had a few other gremlins in replacements that the update could not fix either so I am just restarting. I really want to see the torpedo tube mod in action.

Your luck might be better though!

I do some minor editing of almost every scenario I play, that could account for my issues too I think.

All the best!

Post #: 368
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/14/2010 12:44:06 AM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

Mac;

It gave me the "yellow text" data base update choice when I loaded my Jun 42 game, however personally it did not fix the issue with CV groups for me or include the torpedo tube modification. This was with scenario 27 the December 8th start. I had a few other gremlins in replacements that the update could not fix either so I am just restarting. I really want to see the torpedo tube mod in action.

Your luck might be better though!

I do some minor editing of almost every scenario I play, that could account for my issues too I think.

All the best!

Gary D -

I will have to do some experimenting...

Thank You!

Mac

(in reply to Gary D)
Post #: 369
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/14/2010 5:51:09 AM   
oldman45

I am doing the Dec 7 version and it did not update the airgroups. I ran a turn to see if that mattered and it didn't. I am debating if I want to restart. I think I have figured out a way to work around the aircraft, just do a fit to ship but add the planes manually, perhaps that will work. I really don't want to restart.

Shame there is not a way to have the DB changes effect the current game if you are playing against the AI and a check if your playing PBEM. Oh well.

< Message edited by oldman45 -- 2/14/2010 6:47:10 AM >

Post #: 370
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/14/2010 7:28:47 AM   
Central Blue

quote:

ORIGINAL: oldman45

I am doing the Dec 7 version and it did not update the airgroups. I ran a turn to see if that mattered and it didn't. I am debating if I want to restart. I think I have figured out a way to work around the aircraft, just do a fit to ship but add the planes manually, perhaps that will work. I really don't want to restart.

Shame there is not a way to have the DB changes effect the current game if you are playing against the AI and a check if your playing PBEM. Oh well.

Well that's pretty strange. I am back at home and the existing air groups for Lex, Sara, and Enterprise all say they will change. Hard to say about the reinforcements. I did the Historical start for December 7. I guess I'll see what happens when I apply the new stuff.

One of the advantages to a bunch of restarts is that I am finally beginning to slow the pace down in my head and get a sense of where assets will be when after I send them on their way -- even with variable reinforcements. So I am finally understanding what you have said in the past about not having to obsess over every turn.

USS St. Louis firing on Guam, July 1944. The Cardinals and Browns faced each other in the World Series that year

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 371
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/14/2010 8:03:06 AM   
Central Blue

quote:

ORIGINAL: JWE

Somebody, somewhere, asked if MO was Osterhaut. Yes. He's my friend Michael Osterhaut. He calls himself MO, and we all do too.

He's gonna frikkin hate this, but life's a witch, yeah? His written English might be be choppy, but that has nothing to do with what's on his mind. I was there when he gave a presentation to Henry Samueli that had both of us at the edge of our chairs.

Not only that, but this man is probably one of the world's 4 or 5 most knowledgeable authorities on 18th century naval warfare, and Age of Sail stuff in general. He don't write books, he sails on ships. I met MO when I first sailed on R.H.Dana's reconstructed ship, Pilgrim. He was the bosun, and as God is in his heaven, MO made that crew move sweet. He was also master's mate - corporate "master" pissants couldn't find their way from "A" mark to the harbor entrance.

A very good man. A very, very good man. Just my humble opinion.

Thank you JWE. I just like to know who is who. MO was very helpful when you were in the cooler and folks were speculating about your future involvement.

USS St. Louis firing on Guam, July 1944. The Cardinals and Browns faced each other in the World Series that year

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 372
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/14/2010 10:34:22 PM   
oldman45

I decided with all the changes and corrections the best choice is a restart, but thats the last one till patch 3

(in reply to Central Blue)
Post #: 373
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/14/2010 11:38:13 PM   
JWE

quote:

I decided with all the changes and corrections the best choice is a restart, but thats the last one till patch 3

The best choice is indeed a restart. Patch-3 will be an executable only patch. Perhaps, but only perhaps, the A/G update thing might be included. But that is already in Da Babes, so if you are playing with the latest (002a) update, you will be good to go and only need to update the executable. Since Da Babes is not an "official" scenario, the patch-3 installer will not impact it in any way.

So load, play, and update. No worries.

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 374
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/15/2010 1:50:17 AM   
oldman45

You and Don take a bow!!

(in reply to JWE)
Post #: 375
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/15/2010 2:00:59 AM   
Gary D

Gents;

For your next update, the December 8th start, Scenario 27, is starting on the 7th. The setup is fine, just one calendar day early. The day of infamy was Saturday December 6th!

Thanks again for all your efforts on this project.

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 376
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/15/2010 11:40:31 PM   
treespider

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osterhaut

quote:

Gents;

For your next update, the December 8th start, Scenario 27, is starting on the 7th. The setup is fine, just one calendar day early. The day of infamy was Saturday December 6th!

Thanks again for all your efforts on this project.

oh ok. These things all comes from the official scenarios and it is hard to have every file be good. setup is fine so just turn a Nelson's eye to calendar day Lite is done now and does not have any more fixes except for a real big one. Now we are working on the Big Babes and will keep you comments in the mind.

MO

I guess if the scenario designer wanted to be less Ameri-Centric they could actually have the game start one day later... Remember the Day of Infamy was already Dec 8th in Manila/Tokyo/Singapore. So the next day would be Dec 9.

7:30am Dec 7 Pearl Harbor = 2:00am Dec 8 Manila = 3:00am Dec 8 Tokyo = 12:40am Dec 8 Singapore

Here's a link to:
Treespider's Grand Campaign of DBB

"It is not the critic who counts, .... The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena..." T. Roosevelt, Paris, 1910
Post #: 377
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/18/2010 7:48:53 PM   
oldman45

Have you all seen this site? We might not want Don to see it

http://shipbuildinghistory.com/

(in reply to treespider)
Post #: 378
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/18/2010 9:10:28 PM   
JWE

edit

< Message edited by JWE -- 2/18/2010 9:11:22 PM >

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 379
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/18/2010 10:15:42 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

Have you all seen this site? We might not want Don to see it

http://shipbuildinghistory.com/

Don has seen it. JWE showed it to me.

(in reply to oldman45)
Post #: 380
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/18/2010 10:52:05 PM   
oldman45

Did you see how many drydocks we built, where in the world did we send to. Plus I was very surprised at all the army ships and boats that were built.

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 381
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/19/2010 1:31:06 PM   
vettim89

AH, I don't know how to ask this without possibly offending some people so I will try to say this as diplomatically as possible. I hope this is taken as just a honest question and by no means an attempt to start a firstorm.

Before I drop my bomb, I would like to say what you are talking about in this mod is very interesting to me. When I get around to playing my first PBEM, I may very well go with DBB. That ssaid I am still honoring my "No PBEM until patch 3" pledge to myselrf.

So my question: what was your motivation for Da Babes mod? Is it that there were some things not included in stock that JWE and Don Bowen thought should be included? Or is it that some things came out in play testing and initial deployment that seemed wrong and this is attempt t address those issues?

I just ask because it strikes this reader as odd to see a Mod being developed so soon after release and even more odd that that mod is being created by members of the original dev team.

You can ignore this if it opens up a can of worms that should be left closed. I understand

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 382
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/19/2010 3:39:46 PM   
Don Bowen

quote:

ORIGINAL: vettim89

AH, I don't know how to ask this without possibly offending some people so I will try to say this as diplomatically as possible. I hope this is taken as just a honest question and by no means an attempt to start a firstorm.

Before I drop my bomb, I would like to say what you are talking about in this mod is very interesting to me. When I get around to playing my first PBEM, I may very well go with DBB. That ssaid I am still honoring my "No PBEM until patch 3" pledge to myselrf.

So my question: what was your motivation for Da Babes mod? Is it that there were some things not included in stock that JWE and Don Bowen thought should be included? Or is it that some things came out in play testing and initial deployment that seemed wrong and this is attempt t address those issues?

I just ask because it strikes this reader as odd to see a Mod being developed so soon after release and even more odd that that mod is being created by members of the original dev team.

You can ignore this if it opens up a can of worms that should be left closed. I understand

In developing the scenarios for the standard AE release, we had to consider a balance of historical accuracy and playability. Some folks (me! me!) want full accuracy - if's it's in the historical OOB it ought to be in the game OOB. Other people want an easier, more playable game and do not want to be bothered with handling small ships and units that have only a minor affect in the game.

The standard scenarios were developed with balance in mind. Once the game was released, we fanatics then began to create the full-on detailed mod. That's the reason the mod is named "Babes". Back in standard scenario development times, people would review my OOB requests and moan and groan about more "little baby" ships.

It is equally probable that someone will develop a less detailed mod where playability is considered over detail.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 383
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/19/2010 3:45:40 PM   
vettim89

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

quote:

In developing the scenarios for the standard AE release, we had to consider a balance of historical accuracy and playability. Some folks (me! me!) want full accuracy - if's it's in the historical OOB it ought to be in the game OOB. Other people want an easier, more playable game and do not want to be bothered with handling small ships and units that have only a minor affect in the game.

The standard scenarios were developed with balance in mind. Once the game was released, we fanatics then began to create the full-on detailed mod. That's the reason the mod is named "Babes". Back in standard scenario development times, people would review my OOB requests and moan and groan about more "little baby" ships.

It is equally probable that someone will develop a less detailed mod where playability is considered over detail.

I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw. That makes sense. I was struck by the lack of lift in Canadian WC bases. We now have even more bases and so few resources to keep them supplied. I am sure there are similar issues for the Japanese especially after the SRA is conquered. Nice to see the little extras added in. Now I want to play it even more. Will finish toying with my ASW ideas also

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to Don Bowen)
Post #: 384
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/19/2010 9:40:34 PM   
Central Blue

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

quote:

I see said the blind man as he picked up his hammer and saw. That makes sense. I was struck by the lack of lift in Canadian WC bases. We now have even more bases and so few resources to keep them supplied. I am sure there are similar issues for the Japanese especially after the SRA is conquered. Nice to see the little extras added in. Now I want to play it even more. Will finish toying with my ASW ideas also

Then you will be impressed by the amount of lift in Babe's Lite. There are all kinds of handy little vessels in Canadian waters just right for moving regiments and battalions around that region. All the big passenger ships that can't dock anyway can now be sent off to other theaters.

(in reply to vettim89)
Post #: 385
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/19/2010 10:07:02 PM   
Gary D

And all these little guys have a lot of personality.

Lose a crusier... what the heck there are always more around somewhere. Lose one of your little Teapa AKL's and I had to go sit on the porch with my scotch and cigar and mourn them for a half an hour.

(in reply to Central Blue)
Post #: 386
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/20/2010 9:06:38 AM   
comte

The More ships the better in my opinion

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to Gary D)
Post #: 387
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/20/2010 10:19:06 PM   
Gary D

Gents;

Possible data base gremlin in Scen 27, Lite v2. Ship 152, T War Emergency class, has 0 ammo for the 20mm in weapons slot 7. First of the class is Trusty that shows up on 1 Jan 42. The 44 upgrade has 18 ammo so for my purposes thats what I tossed on it.

I realize you are done with Lite but thought it might be carrying over to your next version.

All the best.

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 388
RE: Da Babes Mod - 2/20/2010 11:11:08 PM   
Herrbear

quote:

Gents;

Possible data base gremlin in Scen 27, Lite v2. Ship 152, T War Emergency class, has 0 ammo for the 20mm in weapons slot 7. First of the class is Trusty that shows up on 1 Jan 42. The 44 upgrade has 18 ammo so for my purposes thats what I tossed on it.

I realize you are done with Lite but thought it might be carrying over to your next version.

All the best.

FWIW - It is also that way in Scen 26 Lite v2.

(in reply to Gary D)
Post #: 389
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Scenario Design and Modding >> RE: Da Babes Mod Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI