Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

TOAW III portable

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> TOAW III portable Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TOAW III portable - 2/24/2010 2:31:46 PM   
Freezer

I have a question...

Can TOAW III be run from USB key without modifying registry.

To explain: I have TOAW III installed at home, but I would like to be able to run it at work when in night shift. I'm allowed to sleep at work, but I find it hard, so I thought I could play TOAW. So I put it on my stick, but it can't run without registry modification. And that is something I need admin rights for which I don't have... :((

Is there any way to do this?
Post #: 1
RE: TOAW III portable - 2/25/2010 12:11:54 AM   
Panama

Yeah. I tried that. Only way I could run it from a stick was to install it to the stick while it was plugged into the computer I was using. So unless someone knows something different I guess you are out of luck.

(in reply to Freezer)
Post #: 2
RE: TOAW III portable - 3/1/2010 1:51:01 AM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama

Yeah. I tried that. Only way I could run it from a stick was to install it to the stick while it was plugged into the computer I was using. So unless someone knows something different I guess you are out of luck.

Unfortunately that's the copy protection sytem, you have to add in a couple of registry entries, which you can't do on a locked down system. I assume that was done to make sure that the pirates couldn't simply distribute a Zip file with everything needed. It really bites but at least it's better than the online systems that the AAA titles are using.

Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 3
RE: TOAW III portable - 3/1/2010 4:07:48 AM   
Panama

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtrick

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama

Unfortunately that's the copy protection sytem, you have to add in a couple of registry entries, which you can't do on a locked down system. I assume that was done to make sure that the pirates couldn't simply distribute a Zip file with everything needed. It really bites but at least it's better than the online systems that the AAA titles are using.

Ralph

Amen to that. Steam isn't too bad but Storm Eagle Studios are like the gestapo. Talk about over kill.

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 4
RE: TOAW III portable - 3/9/2010 10:54:36 PM   
Abnormalmind

You might be able to play via a GNU/Linux boot disk with wine and TOAW loaded. Unfortunately, I'm not smart enough to figure this out.

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> TOAW III Support >> TOAW III portable Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI