Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/24/2010 10:32:42 PM   
elmo3

OK with the inclement weather I did not have much time to spend on turn 9.  We moved forward as best we could but achieved no breakthroughs or pockets this turn.  So I'll just present the screen shots without further commentary for this turn except to say that is one scary looking stack in Kiev.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 2/24/2010 10:33:18 PM >

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 241
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 1:20:05 AM   
kfmiller41

Notice the trend of axis losses slowly climbing turn after turn. That slow attrition is going to just kill the German army just like in real life

You have the ability to arouse various emotions in me: please select carefully.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 242
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 10:13:05 AM   
ComradeP

Elmo: is that scary looking stack really in Kiev? According to the map, the Kiev hex is on the east bank.

Now that the bad weather has arrived fairly early in the season, what is your strategy for the next few turns?

(in reply to kfmiller41)
Post #: 243
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 11:32:07 AM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

Elmo: is that scary looking stack really in Kiev? According to the map, the Kiev hex is on the east bank.

Now that the bad weather has arrived fairly early in the season, what is your strategy for the next few turns?

There is an urban area on the west side of the river too, but you are correct that the city hex is on the east side. The weather is still clear and I'm hoping that continues for a few more turns before mud arrives.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 244
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 11:51:08 AM   
Platypus

quote:

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

The upper left corner triangle is what we call soft factors. It toggles from off, morale, experience, supplies, fuel and attached units. The upper right trangle is movement. Black inside the white hasn't moved, white has moved and still can, no triangle theres no movement left...Enemy soft factors can be seen if the detection level rises high enough...

Hi PD -- I have scoured the forum, but cannot find any comprehensive references to the counters and their components.

Could you please elaborate on all of these graphical elements for us?

Perhaps a snapshot of the basic counter with circles and arrows detailing each distinguishing element and where they are located on the counter.

A great resource for those 'intrepid armchair-generals' amongst us.

cheers

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 245
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 2:29:26 PM   
Balou

Kiev-question 1: Am I right that the Soviet troops in the "Uzh-river / Zhitomir / Kiev triangle rely on a single rail line to stay supplied ?

Kiev-question 2: and if so, would interruption of the railway network (hex north-east of Kiev) interrupt the flow of supplies to those troops ?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 246
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 3:51:32 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balou

Kiev-question 1: Am I right that the Soviet troops in the "Uzh-river / Zhitomir / Kiev triangle rely on a single rail line to stay supplied ?

Kiev-question 2: and if so, would interruption of the railway network (hex north-east of Kiev) interrupt the flow of supplies to those troops ?

They might also draw supply from the rail line to their north. But they might get less supply depending on how far their HQ's are from that line if the other one gets cut.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 247
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 7:01:22 PM   
Capt Cliff

Perhaps this was asked before, I couldn't find it, but the Soviet units with the triangular black corner with and -R- in it on the chit denotes a routed unit?

Capt. Cliff

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 248
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 7:26:58 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capt Cliff

Perhaps this was asked before, I couldn't find it, but the Soviet units with the triangular black corner with and -R- in it on the chit denotes a routed unit?

Yup.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Capt Cliff)
Post #: 249
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 7:47:55 PM   
elmo3

Someone asked about Kiev earlier so I checked again with the units off.  The hex on the west side of the Dnepr is light urban and that is really Kiev.  The hex on the east side is a city and it is listed as E. Kiev.  So Kiev proper is on the west side.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 250
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 8:01:38 PM   
Balou

So supply of the aforementioned units depends on where their HQ is ? I don't see any, could it be in one of those stacks ? Btw, can you "have a look" at all the enemy units in one stack ?

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 251
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 8:15:35 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

Someone asked about Kiev earlier so I checked again with the units off. The hex on the west side of the Dnepr is light urban and that is really Kiev. The hex on the east side is a city and it is listed as E. Kiev. So Kiev proper is on the west side.

So the name "Kiev" is on the wrong side of the Dnieper, as the hex on the left/eastern bank isn't the main Kiev hex (which makes sense as the old part of the city is on the right/western bank)?

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 252
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 8:16:17 PM   
elmo3

A unit will draw supply via it's HQ and also directly from a railhead if it does not get enough via the HQ.  Most likely the HQ's for those units are a few hexes back from the front.  If you mouse over an enemy stack you will get some information on each unit depending on the detection level of each unit.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 253
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 8:20:09 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

So the name "Kiev" is on the wrong side of the Dnieper, as the hex on the left/eastern bank isn't the main Kiev hex (which makes sense as the old part of the city is on the right/western bank)?

I don't know about the name being on the "wrong" side but it is on the east side, probably so as not to interfere with the minor Irpen River name to the west of the city. The old part of the city would be on the right/eastern bank.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 254
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 8:27:07 PM   
elmo3

I'm going to start the review of turn 10 (week of 8/28/41) with a new screen shot.  The Finnish army is released on turn 4 but I completely forgot about moving them until this turn!  They have now invaded and hopefully will draw some Soviet defenders from the Leningrad area toward them to make life easier for the Germans advancing from the south.  Note:  There have been a couple of threads already about including Murmansk and Arkhangelsk on the map so if you have comments on that please use those threads and keep that discussion out of my AAR.  Thanks.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 255
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 8:33:10 PM   
elmo3

AGN is happy to see the Finns finally starting to pull their weight.     The 8th Pz Div and Totenkopf SS Mot Div have pushed to withing 60 miles of Leningrad.  The northern wing of 18th Army (purple) has linked up with 4th Pz Grp (pink) (last turn I think) to cover their flanks for the final push.  The Soviets are bending but have not broken yet.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 256
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 8:39:57 PM   
wiking62

You forgot to move the Finns when they became available!

Don't worry, we have all made those sort of mistakes

Keep up the great work elmo. I look forward to each of your updates.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 257
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 8:40:24 PM   
elmo3

In the center 2nd Pz Grp (light blue) is grinding closer to Vyazma while 3rd Pz Grp (light green) is expanding the wedge slightly northward and also attacking along side 2nd Pz Grp.  The 2nd Army (med blue) and 9th Army (dark green) are holding the flanks while pushing back the defenders as opportunities arise.  I should mention that all along the front I am attacking with flanking units when the odds are well in my favor.  The 4th Army (dark blue) off the bottom of the screen shot is working it's way closer to the east end of the marsh.  I'm sure they will be happy to be back on dry land soon.

Edit - One good thing about the extra time it took to take Smolensk is that it has allowed the rail repair units to catch up and help provide better supply lines for the upcoming attack on Vyazma and beyond.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 2/25/2010 8:46:50 PM >

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 258
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 8:43:09 PM   
wiking62

I don't know if anyone has already asked this question:

Are ZOC's the standard occupied hex and the surrounding six hexes as per most wargames?

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 259
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 8:45:32 PM   
elmo3

Elements of the 1st Pz Grp have reached the west bank of the Dnepr and hope to force a crossing this turn.  We also need to keep pressure on the Soviets northwest of the city to eventually pocket the defenders.  That will be tough as we don't really have the strength of AGC.  The 4th Army may need to help with closing the pocket from the north if they can clear the marsh in time.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 260
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 8:49:25 PM   
elmo3

The Rumanians and German 11th Army (purple) are doing a decent job moving the front eastward.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 261
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 8:50:34 PM   
elmo3

Losses through turn 10:

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 262
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 8:54:50 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: hart2412

I don't know if anyone has already asked this question:

Are ZOC's the standard occupied hex and the surrounding six hexes as per most wargames?

Yes, but they are not "hard" ZOC's in the sense that you can move through them if you have sufficient MP's.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to wiking62)
Post #: 263
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 9:07:37 PM   
Balou

Looking forward to see the Axis losses after their crossing of the Dnepr south of Kiev. Good luck !

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 264
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 10:01:49 PM   
Capitaine

How long do routed units stay routed, Lee? Is it a fixed time or do they have to make a roll?

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 265
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 10:22:21 PM   
B455

Thanks from the screenshot of the Finnish front. The Finnish Cavalry brigade did not operate at that area as it was part of the Group O that historically attacked northeast...which is off the game map it seems. Pity, the north edge of the map seems to be cut kind of from middle of actual Finnish main assault to Karelia. Well that's a minor thing. Where's the German 163rd Infanterie Div in the Finnish front. (Attached to Finnish command and can't find a grey unit there...?)

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 266
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 10:48:28 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capitaine

How long do routed units stay routed, Lee? Is it a fixed time or do they have to make a roll?

Each logistics phase a routed unit makes two possible checks Mark. It must pass a check related to distance from it's HQ and if it passes that the leader can attempt to rally the unit.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 267
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/25/2010 10:49:26 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: B455

Thanks from the screenshot of the Finnish front. The Finnish Cavalry brigade did not operate at that area as it was part of the Group O that historically attacked northeast...which is off the game map it seems. Pity, the north edge of the map seems to be cut kind of from middle of actual Finnish main assault to Karelia. Well that's a minor thing. Where's the German 163rd Infanterie Div in the Finnish front. (Attached to Finnish command and can't find a grey unit there...?)

One of our OOB guys will have to drop by to answer your questions.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to B455)
Post #: 268
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 12:13:36 AM   
Jim D Burns

quote:

Where's the German 163rd Infanterie Div in the Finnish front. (Attached to Finnish command and can't find a grey unit there...?)

It could be they had to give it Finnish colors to make sure the no-attack line applied to it as well as the Finnish units. If that is the case, it makes me wonder, can German units sea moved into Finland (assuming this can even be done) attack across the no-attack line?

Jim

(in reply to B455)
Post #: 269
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 2/26/2010 1:23:09 AM   
Platypus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jim D Burns

quote:

Where's the German 163rd Infanterie Div in the Finnish front. (Attached to Finnish command and can't find a grey unit there...?)

It could be they had to give it Finnish colors to make sure the no-attack line applied to it as well as the Finnish units. If that is the case, it makes me wonder, can German units sea moved into Finland (assuming this can even be done) attack across the no-attack line?

Jim

And to take this a few steps further - is it possible to;

1. Send additional GER units to FIN, and,

2. Hold them behind the front-line and utilise the FOW [Fog of War] benefit to avoid detection, and,

3. Wait until turns 8 - 12 for AGN to commence their ATKs, and,

4. Then Blitz these GER units across the FIN no-ATK Line deep into the SOV rear areas, or

5. Can a GER HQ unit be moved into FIN, so that a combined force of GER + FIN units is then able to cross the no-ATK line?

I ask because these moves could be seen as an exploit.

cheers

(in reply to Jim D Burns)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI