Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Understanding Japanese pilot training costs

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Understanding Japanese pilot training costs Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Understanding Japanese pilot training costs - 2/26/2010 2:06:18 AM   
Mark Weston

It's Jan 1st 1942 and I got a bit of a shock today. I was expecting my first monthly payout for pilot training, and the figure bandied around here was 20k HI per month. WitP Tracker seemed to be randomly predicting somewhere between 17k and 21k depending on which day I looked at it.

In fact my HI pool dropped by 36,302. My usual daily HI surplus runs at around 1,500, and there were no other factory expansions or other one-off HI expenses that I can think of. So a total pilot training cost of approx 37,800 HI.

Can any other Japanese players share what their pilot training is costing? I'm a bit startled that the forum consensus was 20k, and I'm wondering where that came from. I'm also wondering if anyone knows how the training cost is actually calculated?

Tracker, in the graphical industry chart, shows an entry for pilot training of "4151 Plts" and multiplies it by 5 to get an estimate of 20,755 HI. Oops. That 4151 number looks like the total no. of pilots in my replacement pools (I say looks like; the number in game is slightly lower but I'm fairly certain I pulled some pilots into a squadron after loading the turn into Tracker).

Clearly Tracker is multiplying the wrong number by five. Are training costs actually based on the total number of pilots in training at the first of the month (which would make sense; in my game that would come close to 8,000, which seems approximately right)? Enquiring minds would like to know (before their economy crashes...)

P.S. Anyone know what happens if you don't have enough HI to pay for pilot training when the first of the month comes round?
Post #: 1
RE: Understanding Japanese pilot training costs - 2/26/2010 2:53:43 AM   
Mike Solli

Seems odd. On 1 Jan 42 my HI dropped about 18k. My normal increase was about 2k per day, so that would make ~20k loss for the pilots.

No, I haven't a clue as to what happens if you don't have enough HI to pay for pilots.

Created by the amazing Dixie

(in reply to Mark Weston)
Post #: 2
RE: Understanding Japanese pilot training costs - 2/26/2010 10:44:04 AM   
Mark Weston

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

Seems odd. On 1 Jan 42 my HI dropped about 18k. My normal increase was about 2k per day, so that would make ~20k loss for the pilots.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 3
RE: Understanding Japanese pilot training costs - 2/26/2010 1:20:58 PM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Weston

It's Jan 1st 1942 and I got a bit of a shock today. I was expecting my first monthly payout for pilot training, and the figure bandied around here was 20k HI per month. WitP Tracker seemed to be randomly predicting somewhere between 17k and 21k depending on which day I looked at it.

In fact my HI pool dropped by 36,302. My usual daily HI surplus runs at around 1,500, and there were no other factory expansions or other one-off HI expenses that I can think of. So a total pilot training cost of approx 37,800 HI.

Can any other Japanese players share what their pilot training is costing? I'm a bit startled that the forum consensus was 20k, and I'm wondering where that came from. I'm also wondering if anyone knows how the training cost is actually calculated?

Tracker, in the graphical industry chart, shows an entry for pilot training of "4151 Plts" and multiplies it by 5 to get an estimate of 20,755 HI. Oops. That 4151 number looks like the total no. of pilots in my replacement pools (I say looks like; the number in game is slightly lower but I'm fairly certain I pulled some pilots into a squadron after loading the turn into Tracker).

Clearly Tracker is multiplying the wrong number by five. Are training costs actually based on the total number of pilots in training at the first of the month (which would make sense; in my game that would come close to 8,000, which seems approximately right)? Enquiring minds would like to know (before their economy crashes...)

Mark, I'm a Tracker dev and I'm looking into this before ver 1.5 -- any chance I can have a look at the save ? MichealM gave me the low down on the requirement, but something still isn't quite right ... but to be 20 K off seems ridiculous. And yes it is the total no of plts training * 5.
quote:

P.S. Anyone know what happens if you don't have enough HI to pay for pilot training when the first of the month comes round?

Some plts don't get their exp. changed AFAIK.

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 2/26/2010 1:33:40 PM >

Post #: 4
RE: Understanding Japanese pilot training costs - 2/26/2010 2:16:10 PM   
Mark Weston

OK, well I have 7,517 total pilots in training (IJN+IJA) which multiplied by 5 is 37,585 HI, which looks pretty close to the HI drop in my game. On the Tracker industry diagram the number shown is 4151 pilots, which as I said looks like the number of trained pilots in the replacement pools. That may be the source of the error, but I'm happy to send a savefile if it will help. PM with what you need and where to send it.

Also, I'd dearly love to know how Mike Solli got away with paying 20k HI. Was there some change to pilot training costs between patch 1 and patch 2?

(in reply to n01487477)
Post #: 5
RE: Understanding Japanese pilot training costs - 2/26/2010 2:36:50 PM   
Mike Solli

Mark you have an awful lot of pilots in training for 1 Jan 42.  I was showing ~4150.  Are you playing Scenario 2?  Scenario 1 for me.

Post #: 6
RE: Understanding Japanese pilot training costs - 2/26/2010 2:36:51 PM   
Mike Solli

Mark you have an awful lot of pilots in training for 1 Jan 42.  I was showing ~4150.  Are you playing Scenario 2?  Scenario 1 for me.

Post #: 7
RE: Understanding Japanese pilot training costs - 2/26/2010 3:11:46 PM   
Mark Weston

quote:

Doh! Major case of missing the obvious. Yes I'm playing scen 2 and should have stated that in the first post.

I'm wondering if this scenario 2 "bonus" of enlarged training schools might hurt the Japanese more than it helps. I'm only building slightly under 6000 planes per year, and I guess I won't be expanding by much more after this.

(in reply to Mike Solli)
Post #: 8
RE: Understanding Japanese pilot training costs - 2/26/2010 9:27:36 PM   
findmeifyoucan

What is the difference in number of pilots in training for the Japanese from Scen 1 to Scen 2. Is there a very big difference in numbers?

Post #: 9
RE: Understanding Japanese pilot training costs - 2/26/2010 11:04:46 PM   
n01487477

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mark Weston

quote:

Mark you have an awful lot of pilots in training for 1 Jan 42. I was showing ~4150. Are you playing Scenario 2? Scenario 1 for me.

Doh! Major case of missing the obvious. Yes I'm playing scen 2 and should have stated that in the first post.

I'm wondering if this scenario 2 "bonus" of enlarged training schools might hurt the Japanese more than it helps. I'm only building slightly under 6000 planes per year, and I guess I won't be expanding by much more after this.

Mike and I plus others discussed this here
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=2379735

Yes it is a big concern, and is something that scenario 2 players, plus modders need to be aware of ... & in fact if I were a beginner I wouldn't play scenario 2, without changing the pilot numbers because as is stands it is harder to maintain a balance (if you don't know what you're doing)
Mark, I'll PM my email ... thx
quote:

ORIGINAL: findmeifyoucan

What is the difference in number of pilots in training for the Japanese from Scen 1 to Scen 2. Is there a very big difference in numbers?

See above thread, I say the numbers there ...

< Message edited by n01487477 -- 2/26/2010 11:09:06 PM >

(in reply to findmeifyoucan)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Understanding Japanese pilot training costs Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI