Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Corruption

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Corruption Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Corruption - 3/3/2010 2:41:24 PM   
Sarus

What are the ways to reduce corruption? The development of certain technologies? New forms of government? Release of distant colonies? Or something else?

And one more question: can happen coup d'état or revolution in the empire?

I'm sorry for my bad English. I'm a big fan of the Game, so I will try to improve my English:)
Post #: 1
RE: Corruption - 3/3/2010 3:05:49 PM   
Sarus

+ my humble opinion.
I think the elections, the factional struggle, random political events could be a good feature of potential Expansion Pack. Imagine how this can diversify and deepen the gameplay.

< Message edited by Sarus -- 3/3/2010 3:06:56 PM >

(in reply to Sarus)
Post #: 2
RE: Corruption - 3/3/2010 9:35:41 PM   
Gertjan

I would be in favour of more politics!

(in reply to Sarus)
Post #: 3
RE: Corruption - 3/3/2010 9:59:13 PM   
Webbco

I play computer games to escape things like politics for a while...

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 4
RE: Corruption - 3/3/2010 10:10:24 PM   
elliotg

The factors that affect corruption and the resulting loss of tax revenue are government type and some racial characteristics. IIRC there's some bonus ruins that affect this too.

Revolutions and civil wars sometimes happen - especially when your reputation is poor. In this case part of your empire will split off and form a new empire.

Are there any other types of political events that you were thinking of? Not promising we can put them all in, but it's good to get ideas on the table.

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 5
RE: Corruption - 3/3/2010 10:43:42 PM   
Sarus

I'll try to disclose my wishes about domestic politics.

It seems elections, factions and lobbying group within the empires require serious improvement of the game concept, therefore it's rather a dream than my real wish.

The easiest and best way is the realization of the level of autonomy of the colonies.
Rich and distant colonies or conquered, ex-alien(?) colonies will require greater autonomy and lower taxes. In the future, before the player will have a choice:
1) to give the independence of the colony
2) to try to create some federation(or confederation) model of coexistence, in other words - to raise the level of autonomy of the colony
3) to intensify administrative pressure of the central government on the colony.

I'm sorry for my bad English:)

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 6
RE: Corruption - 3/3/2010 10:57:14 PM   
Sarus

quote:

The factors that affect corruption and the resulting loss of tax revenue are government type and some racial characteristics. IIRC there's some bonus ruins that affect this too.

Can the huge empire (100-200 systems, e.g.) has a chance to reduce corruption and not to collapse over time?

I'm sorry for my bad English:)

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 7
RE: Corruption - 3/3/2010 11:13:59 PM   
elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarus
quote:

Can the huge empire (100-200 systems, e.g.) has a chance to reduce corruption and not to collapse over time?

Corruption won't directly cause your empire to collapse. It simply reduces the tax revenue you receive - some is lost to corruption. So to compensate you can be tempted to hike tax rates, which can lead to unhappiness.

But you can find other ways of making money instead - free trade agreements with other empires, tourism, change your government type, etc. Or you can reduce your expenses - less ships, bases, troops, etc. Or you can improve your colonies more by properly defending your trade routes. There's lots of options.

(in reply to Sarus)
Post #: 8
RE: Corruption - 3/4/2010 9:22:22 AM   
Gertjan

How important is trade and tourism compared to the normal sources of income like taxes?

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 9
RE: Corruption - 3/4/2010 9:29:19 AM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: elliotg

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarus
quote:

Corruption won't directly cause your empire to collapse. It simply reduces the tax revenue you receive - some is lost to corruption. So to compensate you can be tempted to hike tax rates, which can lead to unhappiness.

But you can find other ways of making money instead - free trade agreements with other empires, tourism, change your government type, etc. Or you can reduce your expenses - less ships, bases, troops, etc. Or you can improve your colonies more by properly defending your trade routes. There's lots of options.

What sorts of researched advances such as structures and policies are there to reduce corruption?

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/4/2010 9:30:30 AM >

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to elliotg)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Corruption Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI