Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/9/2010 11:14:16 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

Is there (or will there be) a Replay function that would show the entire war unfolding, without FoW?

Don't know about that. It's too soon to tell.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 541
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/9/2010 11:14:49 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: doktor

Brilliant AAR Elmo, I particularly am enjoying the travails of AGC. 

Glad you like it. It's fun for me too.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to USSLockwood)
Post #: 542
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/10/2010 10:56:08 AM   
elmo3

One reason the Soviets broke through the AGC lines was due to a complete lack of reserves on my part.  Up until now the AI has not been attacking other than counter attacks with it's reserves.  Now that Gary has added some aggressiveness to it the Axis will have to think about putting some units into reserve status behind the lines to help counter their attacks.  That and trying to cover too much ground by spreading out regiments to cover the quiet sectors is going to be much more risky.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 543
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/10/2010 12:58:07 PM   
jaw

Could you please post the current Order of Battle screen so people can see the relative Axis and Soviet strength in total? This screen will give everyone some idea of how strong the Russian winter counteroffensive will be.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 544
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/10/2010 1:23:19 PM   
elmo3

Here 'tis.  I should probably post this each turn:

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 545
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/10/2010 1:24:11 PM   
Balou

elmo,

Do you have the impression the AI pursues an attack for a couple of turns ? Would require some planning ahead and I'd like to know how much brains the AI has to do so. I just wonder about the priorities of the AI when it attacked AGC near Moscow.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 546
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/10/2010 1:26:28 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balou

elmo,

Do you have the impression the AI pursues an attack for a couple of turns ? Would require some planning ahead and I'd like to know how much brains the AI has to do so. I just wonder about the priorities of the AI when it attacked AGC near Moscow.

No idea at this point since this is new code. I know Gary does not want the AI overextending and leaving itself open to major encirclements so these attacks with probably be limited and local. But we'll see...

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 547
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/10/2010 7:11:16 PM   
elmo3

10/16/41 (turn 18)  On the AGN front Kolpino fell to our determined assault so we are almost ready to begin the attack on Leningrad.  In theory we could clear the hex east of Kolpino and then attack Pavlovo to the east of Leningrad to give ourselves three hexes for our attack on Leningrad. I'll give that some more thought. There should be time before the bad weather sets in but it may not be necessary. We're clearing some Soviets to the south to straighten our lines.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 3/10/2010 7:13:12 PM >

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 548
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/10/2010 7:11:54 PM   
The SNAFU

Elmo

I have been lurking in the WITE forum for sometime now and your wonderful AAR has convinced me to register. For me and obviously many others, this game is one of the most exciting projects in years. An Eastern Front game at this scale and of this quality is long overdue.

Thank you for investing so much of your time working on the game and sharing your test drive with all of us.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. Winston Churchill

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 549
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/10/2010 7:15:57 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: The SNAFU

Elmo

Thank you for investing so much of your time working on the game and sharing your test drive with all of us.

Welcome to the forums as a poster and glad you are liking what you see of the game.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to The SNAFU)
Post #: 550
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/10/2010 7:28:59 PM   
elmo3

10/16/41 (turn 18)  The situation for AGC is a lot less clear than AGN.  As you can see in the screen shot we have to be careful how aggressive we let the Soviet AI play.  It might turn out to be too easy to pocket troops if they push too hard.  I almost completed the encirclement of their northern thrust into my lines.  As it is they will have to withdraw through a 10 mile corridor and many of their forces won't have enough MP's to escape.

Something else I should mention is that Ice comes into play as the weather stays cold.  Right now zones 3 and 4 have an Ice level of 1.  Levels 1 through 4 slow movement.  At level 5 rivers and impassable river/lake hex sides will freeze.  At that point they have no effect on movement or combat.  So river line defenses mean nothing after level 5 is reached.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 551
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/10/2010 7:34:19 PM   
elmo3

10/16/41 (turn 18)  Things are going well for AGS.  We have reached or passed the Ingul River except for down near Nikolaev.  That should fall soon and then we'll need to decide whether to stop or press on.  I'm inclined to stop to keep a nice straight front.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 552
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/10/2010 8:12:54 PM   
elmo3

Losses through 10/16/41 (turn 18):

I'll review the situation for the start of turn 19 and see if there is anything worth posting before my moves.  Will post the OOB as a minimum.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 553
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/10/2010 8:27:07 PM   
elmo3

OOB at the start of 10/23/41 (turn 19):

Zones 1 and 2 are Clear for this week but zones 3 and 4 are Mud.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 3/10/2010 8:38:23 PM >

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 554
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/10/2010 8:32:52 PM   
elmo3

Two minor trouble spots from the Soviet part of turn 18.

In the first shot we have been pushed back to Pskov and will have to reinforce this area so as not to lose the rail line running through the city.  Hopefully this will not slow the Leningrad operation.

In the second shot you can see the Rumanians and Italians were pushed back near Kirovograd.  Not a crisis and in fact it may give us a chance for a pocket, but it's a potent of things to come regarding the Axis allies.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 3/10/2010 8:37:55 PM >

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 555
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/10/2010 10:35:56 PM   
freeboy

what are those funny symbols?

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 556
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/10/2010 11:00:04 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: freeboy

what are those funny symbols?

If you mean the tanks inside the circles they show hexes where the Soviets attacked in the previous turn so you can review battle results in your turn as the Axis. You toggle them on and off with F11.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 557
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/10/2010 11:04:39 PM   
Crocky

Great work Elmo keep it up my first task when i get to work in the mornibng is to check for updates

Mike Blair CROCKY

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 558
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/10/2010 11:11:21 PM   
freeboy

ok.. threw me on that one

(in reply to Crocky)
Post #: 559
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/11/2010 4:50:49 AM   
Captain B

Elmo,

So, have you almost completed their encirclement, or have they almost encircled you...you both have a single hex to withdraw from, so I guess the mechanics are who encircles whom first? Great job again...I have read every new posting now for the past few months and will say that I save yours for last and wait with baited breath to see the trials and tribulations of OKH.

Counter attacks are fun aren't they.

Rock of the Marne....

There is no problem too big that can't be solved with the proper use of high explosives

WITE Scenario Tester
WITW Beta Tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 560
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/11/2010 10:33:22 AM   
wodin

quote:

ORIGINAL: The SNAFU

Elmo

I have been lurking in the WITE forum for sometime now and your wonderful AAR has convinced me to register. For me and obviously many others, this game is one of the most exciting projects in years. An Eastern Front game at this scale and of this quality is long overdue.

Welcome to the forum and Matrix Games. I hope your stay will be long and rewarding.
PS pass the word around about the games here. Especially this one and the Panther Games series which is also a must buy...

(in reply to The SNAFU)
Post #: 561
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/11/2010 10:35:34 AM   
paullus99

Seeing the OOB totals - scary to think that the Russians still have almost 5 million soldiers available, even given the losses taken to date.

Never Underestimate the Power of a Small Tactical Nuclear Weapon...

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 562
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/11/2010 11:51:46 AM   
elmo3

Today is going to be a busy day for me so it's not clear when I'll be able to post a turn.

So here are two morning screen shots for your perusal.  The first is the Air Unit List from the Commanders Reports sorted on Morale (between EXP and MAX).  Note that we have a few low morale units.  What I'm going to do is send the worst of them back to the Strategic National Reserve for some R&R and training to boost their morale.

The second shot is the current list of air units in the Strategic National Reserve sorted by Ready aircraft.  I'm not going into all the deatils of how this works but air units will automatically be sent to airbases that need them (based on the commitment level that you can set) or you can assign them manually.  So I will test this to see if it works properly and send them manually (and bug report it) if it does not.

< Message edited by elmo3 -- 3/12/2010 10:37:28 PM >

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 563
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/11/2010 12:46:21 PM   
wiking62

Thanks for the latest screenshots elmo. These add even more depth to the game.

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 564
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/11/2010 1:10:53 PM   
SGHunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: paullus99

Seeing the OOB totals - scary to think that the Russians still have almost 5 million soldiers available, even given the losses taken to date.

...but the Axis have more (over 5 million in total) plus all the advantages of C&C, organisation etc. They also have just over 5000 AFVs - almost 1:1 (inc the Italians tankettes - but the Soviets have lots of small stuff too), and a 1:1.5 disadvantage in guns. Get to it, Elmo !!!

What I am surprised at is the disparity in aircraft, a 1:1.67 ratio - and this after the devastation caused to the Soviets in the first air raids. I had thought the Germans were way ahead in aircraft (and in air superiority) until late '42. Any word from you airheads on the histroical position? Elmo, is this translating into lost air battles, casualties etc or are the number of aircraft less relevant thus far than quality, experience etc?

I continue to be completely gripped by this AAR
Stuart

Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt

WitE Alpha, Beta Tester

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 565
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/11/2010 1:11:48 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: paullus99

Actually it's worse than it looks. Here are some things to bear in mind:

1) Axis forces in general and Germans in particular have more support in their units than do Soviet forces. In the long-run that's a benefit since support makes everything else work better but in the short run it means that there are fewer men with guns on the Axis side than the Soviet side or put another way, there are a lot more Russian units out there than Axis units.

2) The AFV totals are exactly that, AFVs which on the Axis side includes tank destroyers, armed halftracks and armored cars. On top of that the Italian total includes a lot of AFVs that aren't even on the Eastern front but garrisoning Yugoslavia. By contrast, although the Soviets also have armored cars in their total, most of their AFVs are tanks including by now lots of T-34s and KV-1s.

3) For all intents and purposes the Finnish totals can be ignored. Unless elmo can take Leningrad (and that's looking questionable) the Finns are now of almost no benefit, perhaps tying down at most a Russian force 10% their size.

When you consider the above points you have to think elmo's situation is at least worrisome if not as you say down right scary.

(in reply to paullus99)
Post #: 566
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/11/2010 1:23:43 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: von Jaeger

[...Elmo, is this translating into lost air battles, casualties etc or are the number of aircraft less relevant thus far than quality, experience etc?

I continue to be completely gripped by this AAR
Stuart

Well so far we have killed 5 aircraft for every one lost although a lot of those came on turn 1. We are usually winning the air battles too. The problem is the Soviets are out producing their losses and it will only get worse as the war drags on.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 567
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/11/2010 2:10:11 PM   
JJKettunen

quote:

ORIGINAL: jaw

3) For all intents and purposes the Finnish totals can be ignored. Unless elmo can take Leningrad (and that's looking questionable) the Finns are now of almost no benefit, perhaps tying down at most a Russian force 10% their size.

That doesn't sound right. Quickly glancing through my sources, there were 6 Soviet divisions against 5 Finnish divisions at Karelian Isthmus on 9th of September 1941, when the Finns dug in there, and 4 Soviet divisions and 1 brigade against 4 Finnish and 1 German divisions at Syväri on October-January. The game doesn't cover other Finnish fronts.

It is obviously a serious game design issue, if the Soviets can use only 10% of the size of the Finnish forces to tie them down...

Jyri Kettunen

The eternal privilege of those who never act themselves: to interrogate, be dissatisfied, find fault.

- A. Solzhenitsyn

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 568
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/11/2010 2:11:33 PM   
SGHunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: elmo3

In the second shot you can see the Rumanians and Italians were pushed back near Kirovograd.  Not a crisis and in fact it may give us a chance for a pocket, but it's a potent of things to come regarding the Axis allies.

OK - not a crisis, but maybe a surprise. These attacks knocked back back not just single Rumaninian or Italian units, but stacks, one of which (the most Northerly) included a German inf. division. Another included driving back back one unit, then the stack that was behind this. The Russian units don't seem that numerous, and the minor axis stacks aren't that weak, are they? Havve you seen the combat reports? Do they shed any light on this outcome - my guess is armour attacking with only weak AT defence?

S

Stuart 'von Jaeger' Hunt

WitE Alpha, Beta Tester

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 569
RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR - 3/11/2010 2:31:48 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Keke

[That doesn't sound right. Quickly glancing through my sources, there were 6 Soviet divisions against 5 Finnish divisions at Karelian Isthmus on 9th of September 1941, when the Finns dug in there, and 4 Soviet divisions and 1 brigade against 4 Finnish and 1 German divisions at Syväri on October-January. The game doesn't cover other Finnish fronts.

It is obviously a serious game design issue, if the Soviets can use only 10% of the size of the Finnish forces to tie them down...

The Finnish No Attack line allows the Russian to oppose the Finns with a minimum of force. I don't know if it is possible to solve this problem without resorting to something equally onerous but I can refer it to Gary.

(in reply to JJKettunen)
Post #: 570
Page:   <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: Operation Barbarossa - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  17 18 [19] 20 21   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI