Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/15/2010 4:31:59 AM   
Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Duckfang

They're waiting for the final pieces of race art, not for all the race art that we haven't seen.

How do you know that?

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Duckfang)
Post #: 181
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/15/2010 4:53:09 AM   
Duckfang

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

How do you know that?

Good Hunting.

MR

You asked what the difference was: that's the difference.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 182
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/15/2010 6:24:07 AM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wade1000

17. Sulken
I assume that Erik Rutins spelling "Sluken" is a typographical error. If it is, let's hope that someone reviews it to prevent the typo from appearing in game! :)

quote:

ORIGINAL:  Erik Rutins
Getting back on topic, here's the race I've most recently been at war with and they are tough!
Short insectoid race with thick black exoskeleton covering. Sluken have many small forearms enabling them to perform multiple actions simultaneously.
Sluken are very aggressive and intelligent. A central theme in their customs involves a macabre reverence of death.
Sluken have the bizarre and gruesome ability to incorporate into their own bodies the biological appendages and organs from other alien races. Thus some Sluken have additional limbs, eyes or other body parts.
Some other alien races allege that Sluken are in fact genetically modified creatures, designed as an ultimate warrior race. But the Sluken themselves denounce such claims as outrageous slander.
Sluken technology includes the StarBurner XX-12, a very fast and powerful engine. With these engines, Sluken star ships are able to outrun nearly any opponent.
Sluken are found in dry temperate regions of Continental and Marshy Swamp planets
Characteristics
Race Family: Insectoid
Default Reproduction Rate: 16%
Quite Intelligent (+8)
Very Aggressive (+19)
Slightly Cautious (+3)
Very Unfriendly (-18)
Very Unreliable (-20)
Warrior Class: troop maintenance -20%
Fierce Rivalry: lower war weariness -40%
Special Government: Hive Mind

Indeed, the insectoids ARE named "Sluken", not "Sulken" in the new game screen shots.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2402878
In the the race portrait art it is "Sulken". So maybe the artist made the mispelling.
Which is it and will it be corrected?

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 183
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/15/2010 10:50:14 AM   
Gargantou

Personally I like the name Sulken more than Sluken.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 184
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/15/2010 1:25:53 PM   
Deto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gargantou

Sluken sounds swedish while sulken is sulk like :D

(in reply to Gargantou)
Post #: 185
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/15/2010 1:30:13 PM   
Gargantou

quote:

ORIGINAL: Deto

quote:

Sluken sounds swedish while sulken is sulk like :D

Indeed, it's quite problematic.

I'm Swedish myself so I guess that's why I dislike the name Sluken

(in reply to Deto)
Post #: 186
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/15/2010 5:28:59 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sarissofoi

My My. Cartoonish aliens you say?
Many of alien race from sf novels or games are as you say cartoonish.
See by yourself.
Kzinti or Killrathi. Simply Lions in space

Reguls. Simply frogs in space.
Many others. Most games have them.
Space operas are full of them. Some are more wierd than others. Hard sf on the other hands dont have aliens or they are to diffrent to comunicate(and thinking about conquering them and ruling in hard sf is a blasphemy).
BTW What is a possibility that two alien race obtain in the same time faster than light drive? And then you take 3, 4 or 5? And then you take 20 race.How much is this possible? XVIII empires in space. Or even vikings in space have better propability.

But nevermind this. I hope that customisation will be easy and quick. Then anyone can do some modding for his liking.

Isn't pretty well accepted that most 'alien' races in movies and games are pretty cliche by this point?

After all, you have the almost obligatory Insectoid, Cat-people, Bear-people, Grey, etc...

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 187
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/15/2010 6:59:04 PM   
Gargantou

What we need is sharks in space to be perfectly honest!

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 188
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/15/2010 8:12:45 PM   
Shark7

quote:

What we need is sharks in space to be perfectly honest!

Get's my vote.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Gargantou)
Post #: 189
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/16/2010 6:06:43 PM   
Gertjan

Sharks? What happened to the more star trek type of aliens?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 190
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/16/2010 7:53:57 PM   
Deto

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gertjan

Sharks? What happened to the more star trek type of aliens?

You mean humans with little face features? :D I'd prefer more alien looking aliens vs humanoid aliens we've seen so far :)

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 191
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/16/2010 8:01:32 PM   
Webbco

Agreed! Not just Star Trek, but I also look at aliens in games like Mass Effect 1 and 2 and assume they are humans with face paint. Ridiculous.

(in reply to Deto)
Post #: 192
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/16/2010 9:48:08 PM   
Gargantou

Well let's face it, Star Trek basically pictures the milky way as some sort of galactic ZOO, personally I've become quite bored with science fiction movies/books with an abundance of alien species.

My fav sci-fi universes, Dune and BattleTech, both feature none/minimal interaction with alien civilizations.

Especially Star Wars and Star Trek makes me puke because they make it appear as though almost every planet we explore will have some form of intelligent alien species.

In games like this though, they serve their purpose by adding variety and fun to the exploration and interaction with other species.:)

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 193
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/17/2010 7:47:55 AM   
Wade1000

Well, are you familiar with the Drake Equation and other estimates on the number of communicating alien civilizations in our Milky Way galaxy? Would you agree with the estimates of most scientists/astronomers?

I think that each galaxy is abundant(like millions) in communicating alien civilizations. Also, I think each galaxy is teeming with lesser advanced life.

Some might ask then why we have not yet heard from others. It's partly a matter of scale/distance. If you zoom out from our point in space to a view of the full galaxy then the range traveled by our radio signals would still be a tiny dot.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2386321&mpage=6&key= (Drake Equation page of this thread)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drake_equation
http://www.pbs.org/lifebeyondearth/listening/drake.html : Drake Equation calculator
-----
Drake estimates 10,000 communicating civilizations in the Milky Way today.

from: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB_v99FSTYc : Carl Sagan Explains the Drake Equation
Carl Sagan estimated millions of communicating civilizations in the Milky Way today.

quote:

(from http://www.angelfire.com/indie/anna_jones1/drake.html )

So, depending on the value of L, N can range from about 100 to several billion. Most likely, an intermediate value is closer to the truth, so most scientists take N = 106. Thus, there may be a million or so civilizations within our own galaxy with whom we might communicate.

This number refers to the Milky Way Galaxy only. The universe contains at least as many galaxies as there are stars in the Milky Way. The reason for the restriction to the Milky Way is because intragalactic communication seems far easier than extragalactic communication. The nearest star in our galaxy would require several years for a round-trip message, while the farthest stars require tens of thousands of years. In contrast, to exchange a message with a civilization in the Andromeda galaxy would require about 4 million years, while further galaxies would require several billion years (by which time we might well be extinct). So chances for a real conversation is much better if we limit the equation to only the Milky Way galaxy.

-----

Scale of our Milky Way galaxy and the universe sites/links:

Here are some very interesting visual scales.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17jymDn0W6U (good scenery video as it zooms from earth, travels far, then returns)

http://www.nikon.com/about/feelnikon/universcale/index.htm (left and right slider with objects on grids)

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/525347 (wait for load then push play: VERY interesting fast or slow zoom in or out with slider; try zooming out at the human while trying to know your size significance as you slowly zoom all the way out.)

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/17/2010 7:52:48 AM >

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Gargantou)
Post #: 194
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/17/2010 1:01:02 PM   
Gargantou

The Drake equation has very little basis on empirical data and factual evidence, and is based mostly around conjecture and very large assumptions.

To quote this page, http://www.michaelcrichton.com/speech-alienscauseglobalwarming.html

"The problem, of course, is that none of the terms can be known, and most cannot even be estimated. The only way to work the equation is to fill in with guesses. [...] As a result, the Drake equation can have any value from "billions and billions" to zero. An expression that can mean anything means nothing. Speaking precisely, the Drake equation is literally meaningless..."

Whilst I am open to the possibility that we might encounter intelligent life in our travels, I am still very doubtful that it'll be as abundant with intelligent space-faring life as is pictured in Star Trek.

Only time will tell, and as I said, I wouldn't rely on the Drake equation for estimating how likely it is and generally the only ones who do are those who absolutely want to try to prove that there is intelligent life out there. Ironic that they try to do it with a equation that is essentially useless.

And I'm well aware of how little we've seen of the universe, and how much more there could be out there(Due to how 'short' our universe has existed it's very likely there's other galaxies out there whose light hasn't yet reached our solar system.)

< Message edited by Gargantou -- 3/17/2010 1:04:20 PM >

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 195
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/17/2010 1:14:47 PM   
Sarissofoi

Mathematic examples and reality is two difrent things.

(in reply to Gargantou)
Post #: 196
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/17/2010 1:15:14 PM   
Wade1000

Alright. I understand. That is the common argument against the Drake Equation. But, even applying very conservative figures into the calculation results in many numbers of communicating civilizations in our galaxy. But, yeah, that would mean nothing to those that don't accept the Drake Equation idea in general. Yes, it IS a sort of theory equation but based in the knowlede of science and the estimates of scientists.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/17/2010 1:56:50 PM >

(in reply to Gargantou)
Post #: 197
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/17/2010 10:18:59 PM   
Xenoform21

Wade, i am not quite sure where you get your conservative figures, but according to current NASA estimates, the average intelligent life forms that would exist in our milky way at any given time is 2.31, which sadly i can only quote off of wikipedia. And as for conservative estimates, truly conservative estimates, the value is < 0.1, which indicates for a galaxy the size of the milky way the chance of any intelligent life existing at any point in time is one in ten.

It all depends on how you interpret the last few factors of the equation.

Sadly, the field of xenobiology is only in its infancy, and these estimates may as well be sheer guesses. Once our civilization begins to travel beyond our solar system, then we might be able to hazard a more approximate guess. As of now the error in drakes equation is equivalent to the equation itself. The factors are all there and accounted for, however, nobody can say for sure what some of those factors are.

Science may argue for a good probability of a few, but the factors of number of planets with sustainable life conditions, number of those planets evolving life, number of those planets evolving intelligent life, and number of those intelligent lifeforms with the ability to communicate are just guesses.

And, bringing this thread back to where it should be.....
Any chances of us seeing some more of these fantastic races we can play with?
Or a few more screen-shots?
I'm just dying for some more content to chew on here.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 198
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/17/2010 10:21:48 PM   
Duckfang

Personally I'd love a short video showcasing the ship design and research portions of the game.

For me at least, those two sections of a 4X can really make or break a game and it looks like DW has done them quite well. That doesn't mean I'm not eager to take a peek, though!

(in reply to Xenoform21)
Post #: 199
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/17/2010 10:22:31 PM   
Sarissofoi

BTW
I am not even sure that our laws of phisics work in others part of galaxy.
End even if inteligent life exist in our galaxy comunication with them will be another thing.

BTW2
CXonservative numbers says 0.
Why? Becoze only on Earth life was created by god. Or gods. Or smething like that.

(in reply to Xenoform21)
Post #: 200
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/18/2010 12:55:01 PM   
Erik Rutins

May I introduce you to the Boskara?

Ferocious insectoid race with a tough exoskeleton skin.

Boskara are the most violent and aggressive race in the known galaxy. They excel in combat, using trickery and deceit to gain the upper-hand. They are untrustworthy allies.

Their instinctive lust for conquest and expansion is without equal. Most other races consider them to be completely without scruples, and thus steer well clear of them. However Boskara have a natural ally in the Sluken, their slightly more reasonable close relatives.

Their technology includes the deadly Shaktur FireStorm, an immensely destructive torpedo weapon. This weapon gives Boskaran star ships very powerful planetary assault capabilities, allowing them to quickly take down defending spaceports at enemy colonies.

Boskara typically inhabit the forbidding terrain of Volcanic planets. Communities may sometimes also be found in the rocky mountains of Sandy Desert planets.

Characteristics
Default Reproduction Rate: 18%
Moderately Intelligent (0)
Extremely Aggressive (+40)
Very Reckless (-28)
Quite Unfriendly (-16)
Very Unreliable (-20)
Warrior Class: troop maintenance -25%
Fierce Rivalry: lower war weariness -70%
Special Technology: Shaktur FireStorm (Torpedo Weapon)

Attachment (1)

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 201
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/18/2010 1:02:59 PM   
Sarissofoi

Comence planetary bombardment!

Seriusly they are that ugly that they should get death sentence.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 202
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/18/2010 1:19:06 PM   
Wade1000

Well, I don't think the Boskara are ugly in appearence...just different...alien. Although, yeah, they may, at times, receive an attitude adjustment via planetary bombardment from many civilizations...unless the Boskara are the ones in power and control.
The artwork quality is beautiful, like all the race portrait art.

Cool. Another race to fit my list.
http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2391696&mpage=1&key=? (wish list thread)

quote:

I always like the aliens to have a variety of body shapes other than just humanoid and at least one of each of:
-a robotic/android race
-a cyborg race(part machine, part biological)
-a parasitic assimilating(absorbs and incorporates), bio-mass using race similiar to 'Zerg' of Starcraft, 'The Flood' of Halo, 'Tyranids' of Warhammer 40,000, or others similiar. (Sluken most likely for now)
-(one or more) insectoid race similiar to ants, wasps, mantis, and roaches (Sluken and Boskara)
-a spider like race
-a crab like race (Done)
-an under water habitat race (Done)
-an ice habitat race (Done)
-a floater, gas giant planet dwelling race
-a scaled reptilian race
-a feathered avian race
-a furred mammalian race (Done)
-an amphibious race (Done)
-a tentacled race (Hakonish maybe)

-----

The Boskara have been consolidated to the top of this thread.

< Message edited by Wade1000 -- 3/20/2010 4:03:17 PM >

(in reply to Sarissofoi)
Post #: 203
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/18/2010 3:48:39 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

May I introduce you to the Boskara?

Ferocious insectoid race with a tough exoskeleton skin.

Boskara are the most violent and aggressive race in the known galaxy. They excel in combat, using trickery and deceit to gain the upper-hand. They are untrustworthy allies.

Their instinctive lust for conquest and expansion is without equal. Most other races consider them to be completely without scruples, and thus steer well clear of them. However Boskara have a natural ally in the Sluken, their slightly more reasonable close relatives.

Their technology includes the deadly Shaktur FireStorm, an immensely destructive torpedo weapon. This weapon gives Boskaran star ships very powerful planetary assault capabilities, allowing them to quickly take down defending spaceports at enemy colonies.

Boskara typically inhabit the forbidding terrain of Volcanic planets. Communities may sometimes also be found in the rocky mountains of Sandy Desert planets.

Characteristics
Default Reproduction Rate: 18%
Moderately Intelligent (0)
Extremely Aggressive (+40)
Very Reckless (-28)
Quite Unfriendly (-16)
Very Unreliable (-20)
Warrior Class: troop maintenance -25%
Fierce Rivalry: lower war weariness -70%
Special Technology: Shaktur FireStorm (Torpedo Weapon)

Seems like these may be 'the most evil and urgent threat in the galaxy'.

Time to get the bug spray.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 204
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/18/2010 5:37:09 PM   
Gertjan

I hope they are always on the other side of the galaxy of where I start. Would they be able to get into alliance with anyone, also with the more peaceful races? How does the AI consider its relative economic and military strength in diplomacy? I find this important and well done in Galciv2. A weaker AI would think twice of ever attacking you.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 205
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/18/2010 5:57:14 PM   
Stardog

Whats Up Bro's!!!

Does anyone know if there are going to be any Races like >>
(Copied from Wade1000 list )

-a Robotic/Android race

-a Cyborg race(part machine, part biological)

Also did I hear right that the Research of Tech's will not be on planets but on space stations/bases?

The Dog Star!!
WM

Diplomacy without arms is like music without instruments.

Frederick the Great

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 206
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/18/2010 6:11:21 PM   
Gertjan

Please let the Borg be in the game!

(in reply to Stardog)
Post #: 207
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/18/2010 8:20:38 PM   
Wade1000

I think I read that research can be done by:
-a planetary structures
-bases with have a research component
-ships that have a research component and are remaining stationary

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 208
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/18/2010 9:57:37 PM   
ASHBERY76

I would be happy to see a 4x game without machine races.It has been done to death and only SOTS did it right in my view.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 209
RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. - 3/18/2010 10:48:36 PM   
Sarissofoi

You mean AI rebels race?
In MoO I and II partmechanical race exist and they were done good.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 210
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds: Introduction of the alien races. Page: <<   < prev  5 6 [7] 8 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI