Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Patch 3 crash

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Patch 3 crash Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/21/2010 1:36:25 AM   
Nomad

I'll try it and see what happens. It always seems to be a long time into doing orders, 20-30 minutes. I need to look around a lot in one game and I will see if it happens. These non-repeatable problems are hard to figure out.

(in reply to michaelm75au)
Post #: 31
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/21/2010 2:09:28 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

I have noticed some funny things during debugging when music is 0, but I thought that was just with debugging as no one else was having any issues.
I now always run with music set to '1' and I don't experience my problems anymore.

Maybe you might want to try that.

Thanks, I will. BTW, in case I was unclear I am using windowed mode.

Post #: 32
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/21/2010 2:19:11 AM   
Nomad

That didn't cure it. I had the game open in windowed mode, I brought up the TF list in the East Coast USA incoming hex. I was looking at one and clicked on the next one at the bottom of the window and I got the dreaded hourglass for about 15 seconds, then the window went white and the Windows error message box showed up. That was with music set to 1 instead of 0. So to me there was no change.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 33
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/21/2010 7:34:41 AM   
Runyon

My game crashed on me this evening for the first time ever. Very annoying after two hours of inputting orders and getting ready to end the turn. I have never played in windows mode, and have had the music turned down to zero. I am running patch 3. I'm using -cpu4 -multiaudio -fw, the same as I always have.

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 34
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/21/2010 9:12:16 AM   
michaelm75au

I find occasionally making a save is useful when dealing with any Window application. Just in case.

I follow this principal at work and in my gaming experience.

Michael

(in reply to Runyon)
Post #: 35
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/21/2010 3:22:01 PM   
Runyon

Yes, I normally always save. Of course, it's when I don't that something like this happens.

I posted this to confirm that something is causing a crash that I never saw before. It occurs when using the interface during the orders phase, like the OP said. At the time of the crash I was clicking through the 'air groups to withdraw' menu, if that helps.

< Message edited by Runyon -- 3/21/2010 6:20:48 PM >

Post #: 36
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/21/2010 4:01:52 PM   
Nomad

michaelm, the one thing I did notice is that I do not get the click sound when it locks up. I click on the icon and there is no sound and an hourglass shows up. Maybe that will help you.

(in reply to Runyon)
Post #: 37
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/22/2010 9:34:38 AM   
michaelm75au

Common thread seems to be the mouse click/action.
Most likely if you just let  the game run it wouldn't lock up by itself.

I think the consensus is that this happens in wide-screen, window-mode?

Michael

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 38
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/22/2010 2:11:03 PM   
Nomad

So far for me, I don't remember it happening in wide screen, full screen mode. It has happened in wide screen, windowed mode.

Post #: 39
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/22/2010 4:49:29 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelm

I think the consensus is that this happens in wide-screen, window-mode?

Yes, the crashes started after I began playing in wide-screen windowed mode.

Although since sorting out command line switches to suit my screen, I've only been playing that way. So, I'm unable to say that it wouldn't be crashing for me in wide-screen full-screen.

Post #: 40
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/22/2010 5:31:02 PM   
BigJ62

Not sure wide screen has anything to do with it so you guys who have been having problems with window mode please try agin and this time remove the px and py swithches.

Witp-AE
AeAi…AeAi …AeAi…Long live AeAi.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 41
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/22/2010 5:39:50 PM   
Runyon

I encountered the problem despite running in full screen, flat mode.  I also do not use -px -py switches.

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 42
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/22/2010 5:56:07 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: BigJ62

Not sure wide screen has anything to do with it so you guys who have been having problems with window mode please try agin and this time remove the px and py swithches.

I can't reproduce crashes.

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 43
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/22/2010 6:03:21 PM   
BigJ62

I suspect that there are two problems, one old and the other is fairly new.

I ran some tests using window mode and I am seeing the problem with long pausing normally after clicking on something but only on XP32 not Win7x64 and never saw this on Vistax64 either.

Would everyone please indicate which OS you are using and its bits(32 or 64).

Witp-AE

(in reply to Runyon)
Post #: 44
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/22/2010 6:06:28 PM   
BigJ62

Please be a little more specfic. ex you have crashes with wide screen window mode but when you remove px and py swithches it no longer crashes.

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Witp-AE

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 45
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/22/2010 6:15:43 PM   
witpqs

quote:

I ran some tests using window mode and I am seeing the problem with long pausing normally after clicking on something but only on XP32 not Win7x64 and never saw this on Vistax64 either.

I am using XP32

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 46
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/22/2010 6:16:32 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Please be a little more specfic. ex you have crashes with wide screen window mode but when you remove px and py swithches it no longer crashes.

quote:

quote:

Crashes are random. I can not reproduce them - it might be days between crashes. The most crashes I have had in one session of playing is 2.

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 47
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/22/2010 6:21:38 PM   
BigJ62

What about long pauses when you click on something?

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Crashes are random. I can not reproduce them - it might be days between crashes. The most crashes I have had in one session of playing is 2.

Witp-AE

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 48
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/22/2010 7:14:11 PM   
Nomad

I'm running on XP32, and I do not see any long pauses except when I get a one that crashes the program. All other times things run along fine.

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 49
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/22/2010 8:17:35 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Not exactly that - let me explain.

Sometimes it is almost as though AE has lost focus. (Focus in the windows sense - the application with focus, etc.) When you click on something, the click does not take for whatever you were clicking for, instead it returns focus to AE.

The reason that I say almost loses focus is that the window banner at the top of the AE window still looks like AE has focus. What I mean is that when you actually switch to another application, that window has a colored (in my case blue) banner line, while all the other applications have that color grayed out. When you switch back to an application, its grayed-out window banner becomes blue again.

But when the spontaneous seeming loss of focus occurs with AE, the window banner stays blue.

So it goes like this. You are moving along giving orders. You go to click on a button on the panel you just opened (just for example). You click, but the click does nothing within AE. Maybe there is a little flicker (I'll try to nail down that observation and report back). So you click again, and this time it works.

It's almost as though AE (or the PC) is doing something else, and the first click brings AE back to you.

When the crashes occur, its like that first click just locks up AE.

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 50
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/22/2010 8:35:42 PM   
BigJ62

Have you tried windowed mode with and without widescreen to see if any difference? If not please do.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

I'm running on XP32, and I do not see any long pauses except when I get a one that crashes the program. All other times things run along fine.

Witp-AE

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 51
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/22/2010 8:39:19 PM   
Nomad

I can try it out tonight. I will do my turn, save and then click around until something happens . . . . or not.

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 52
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/23/2010 1:53:41 AM   
Nomad

I spent over an hour doing my turn and poking about trying to click a lot of buttons of different kinds. I could not get it to crash running in windowed mode without using the px and py switches. ( sure does look ugly now )

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 53
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/23/2010 2:42:31 AM   
BigJ62

What is your native desktop res?

What is the windowed wide res you are trying to use?

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nomad

I spent over an hour doing my turn and poking about trying to click a lot of buttons of different kinds. I could not get it to crash running in windowed mode without using the px and py switches. ( sure does look ugly now )

Witp-AE

(in reply to Nomad)
Post #: 54
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/23/2010 2:53:54 AM   
Nomad

Native is 1920 x 1200 and I use 1680 x 1050 for windowed mode.

James, that test I made may not be equal to others. If I remember right, I ran the replay
at 1920 x 1200. Because it was so small, I exited WitP and resized my desktop to 1280 x 1024.

I just spent over two hours at 1920 x 1200 using a 1680 x 1050 window mode with no problem. One thing I did not do was run any turns. I wonder if the turn execution combined with the order phase is where there is a problem? I seem to remember that I have only had problems when I ran a turn replay and then went to the order phase. At times I have run the turn replay and exited the game. Later I went back and did the orders and I don't remember having a problem then.

< Message edited by Nomad -- 3/23/2010 5:11:22 AM >

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 55
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/23/2010 4:10:58 PM   
Runyon

quote:

I'm using XP32, full screen, flat. The only change I made prior to the crash was installing the new patch.

Thanks.

< Message edited by Runyon -- 3/23/2010 4:11:20 PM >

(in reply to BigJ62)
Post #: 56
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/30/2010 12:21:06 AM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

Not exactly that - let me explain.

Sometimes it is almost as though AE has lost focus. (Focus in the windows sense - the application with focus, etc.) When you click on something, the click does not take for whatever you were clicking for, instead it returns focus to AE.

The reason that I say almost loses focus is that the window banner at the top of the AE window still looks like AE has focus. What I mean is that when you actually switch to another application, that window has a colored (in my case blue) banner line, while all the other applications have that color grayed out. When you switch back to an application, its grayed-out window banner becomes blue again.

But when the spontaneous seeming loss of focus occurs with AE, the window banner stays blue.

So it goes like this. You are moving along giving orders. You go to click on a button on the panel you just opened (just for example). You click, but the click does nothing within AE. Maybe there is a little flicker (I'll try to nail down that observation and report back). So you click again, and this time it works.

It's almost as though AE (or the PC) is doing something else, and the first click brings AE back to you.

When the crashes occur, its like that first click just locks up AE.

James,

I am reasonably sure (not 100%) that what is happening is this. From time to time there is a flicker (as I described above where it seems like the AE window at least partially loses focus). If you happen to click while the flicker is actually taking place, you get a crash.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 57
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/30/2010 12:57:50 AM   
zace

Input on this.  I am running a bunch of tests with the system and have it in windows mode to do this.  My crashes in full screen were rare and always seemed to be related to ALT-TAB.

Crashes in windowed mode seem to be every hour or so. 

OPsys: XP32
2 core AMD processor
native screen 1920-1200
PXPY: 1680-1050
Visual Studio C++ running in the background (no compiles going on just checking flowcharts vs actual code)

While writing this i had to go out to get the resolutions and clicked on VSC++ window on accident and maximized it.  This was immediately met by a sound loop in the game and then a crash.  Don't know if this helps any.  I do not know what you use VSC++ for.

BTW I had to re-register VSC++ EE 2008 after installing AE and the addin help thingie....lol can't remember the name of it.  Not reproducible. 

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 58
RE: Patch 3 crash - 3/30/2010 1:16:22 AM   
zace

BTW another looking point.  Mine appear to be graphics related somehow.  I am on an old 7800 GT OC card.  I always have a graphics delay out before the crash.  IE the window is trying to update and times out somehow. 

I wonder what graphics cards everyone else is using?

New 4 core 285GTX win 7 machine should be done by friday (still waiting on a few parts from newegg) to test on.

(in reply to zace)
Post #: 59
RE: Patch 3 crash - 4/6/2010 11:57:06 PM   
witpqs

quote:

James,

I am reasonably sure (not 100%) that what is happening is this. From time to time there is a flicker (as I described above where it seems like the AE window at least partially loses focus). If you happen to click while the flicker is actually taking place, you get a crash.

I can confirm this with another observation.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> RE: Patch 3 crash Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI