Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Turn Planning/Executing

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Turn Planning/Executing Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Turn Planning/Executing - 3/23/2010 9:50:00 PM   
Bondo16

I'm just wondering, on average how long do you guys take before you process a turn?? I spend quite awhile, probably 1 hour or more making sure I have done everything exactly the way I want it before I process a turn. It's taken me 5 months to play 50 days and I dont play everyday. Just curious
Post #: 1
RE: Turn Planning/Executing - 3/23/2010 9:54:43 PM   
BAR

some turns I also take an hour or so - I sometimes can't believe when I look up and what seemed like a 5 minute trip around the map has taken so long. Accounts for a lot of burnt meals lol

(in reply to Bondo16)
Post #: 2
RE: Turn Planning/Executing - 3/23/2010 10:40:32 PM   
herwin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bondo16

I'm just wondering, on average how long do you guys take before you process a turn?? I spend quite awhile, probably 1 hour or more making sure I have done everything exactly the way I want it before I process a turn. It's taken me 5 months to play 50 days and I dont play everyday. Just curious

About 3 hours per turn (pbem).

Harry Erwin
"For a number to make sense in the game, someone has to calibrate it and program code. There are too many significant numbers that behave non-linearly to expect that. It's just a game. Enjoy it." herwin@btinternet.com

(in reply to Bondo16)
Post #: 3
RE: Turn Planning/Executing - 3/24/2010 12:10:02 AM   
tocaff

Depends on what's going on.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to herwin)
Post #: 4
RE: Turn Planning/Executing - 3/24/2010 2:08:47 AM   
Mundy

In my game vs the Japanese AI, I spent a few hours on the first turn. That was the only real long one. Lots of stuff to mobilize.

For the most part, my turns are < 1/2 hour -- sometimes 10 - 15 minutes.

M-

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 5
RE: Turn Planning/Executing - 3/24/2010 2:13:55 AM   
Bondo16

quote:

ORIGINAL: tocaff

Depends on what's going on.

Ya thats why I said on average, some turns are more planning intense than others of course

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 6
RE: Turn Planning/Executing - 3/24/2010 2:15:12 AM   
Bondo16

quote:

ORIGINAL: BAR

some turns I also take an hour or so - I sometimes can't believe when I look up and what seemed like a 5 minute trip around the map has taken so long. Accounts for a lot of burnt meals lol

I know that exact feeling man.

(in reply to BAR)
Post #: 7
RE: Turn Planning/Executing - 3/24/2010 2:26:20 AM   
Bondo16

I dont know how you all play, obviously there's going to be a ton of unique strategic minds in here but personally I first rotate through all my bases assigning fleets, air ops, ground ops, supply and resource needs then skim check all my surface fleets out of port on missions and make sure everything is kosher with them such as ASW (which I use so much with those damned pesky allied subs EVERYWHERE,I've only sunk 7 subs in 2 months game time) lol, after that I check on any ground engagements and make sure the set-up is good and what I want. For me the base duties are what takes the longest because of how much there is to check on or set-up. Right now my biggest issue is supply in China which I'm still trying to sort out. I would like to know how some of you guys operate.

(in reply to Bondo16)
Post #: 8
RE: Turn Planning/Executing - 3/24/2010 9:15:04 AM   
gladiatt

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bondo16

. Right now my biggest issue is supply in China which I'm still trying to sort out. I would like to know how some of you guys operate.

China is a big concern for me.
First, my opponant use the DeathStar strategy, wich is very hard to stop.
Second, supply is a real problem. I can't see any good hint. I have some Transport Squadron flying supplies from Chungking to front line base, or from Yenen (supposed to receive the 500 supplies from Burma Road) to others base. But i am always in lack of supply.

As for the lenght of time for a turn, well, the quickest i made was 40 mn. I need to check everything (but sometime i forget some stuff). I made it area after area.

(in reply to Bondo16)
Post #: 9
RE: Turn Planning/Executing - 3/24/2010 6:11:42 PM   
tocaff

I tend to keep an eye on things, but you have a feel for a base that's building so don't need to look every turn.  A unit issued marching orders will get there if you look or not and once a TF is loaded and on it's way a quick peek will be enough to monitor it's progress. 

Planning and executing the opening moves of a large op take time, but once it's in motion just keeping an eye on it is enough. 

For my PBEM, "Battle Under: The Allies Fight Back" a shameless plug for the AAR, I keep a calendar that I enter new unit arrival & location.  I use WitpTracker to keep an eye on many things and using player defined upgrades to decide is it really worth upgrading a unit. 

Some turns are therefore longer than others so as long as you can remember what's going on it helps to speed things up.  I find it awful to cycle through everything to get back into a game that was inactive for a week or so.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 10
RE: Turn Planning/Executing - 3/25/2010 8:53:55 PM   
flaggelant

i take an hour+ per turn easily, dont want to screw up afterall

But what i experienced is that the more you play (a turn a day, or a turn a week) the quicker the turns are plannable.

i'm playing my brother, as some know. We had a couple of turns in a row when i was at his place a while ago.
when you planned your last turn, just half an hour ago you dont need to check up on every detal, we almost played a week in game time in that one afternoon, that was awesome.
now that were down to 1 or 2 turns a week it can takeup to 2 hours easily to check up on TF's/ supply levels etc etc..

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945 >> Turn Planning/Executing Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI