Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 6:45:55 PM   
Wade1000

Although, it makes me wonder how rushed the game was...even though I said this earlier:

quote:

I like to see that the developers are very active on the forum informing us of their diligent efforts to improve the game. I hope it continues in future.

(http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2417594&mpage=2&key= from: 'A preview of what we are testing internally... ")

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to jnpoint)
Post #: 31
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 6:53:45 PM   
ASHBERY76

My first tweak would be to make the A.I put a much higher value on trading planets.You can buy vital colonies from them pretty cheaply.It is a exploit.

My second would be to lower the "we covert your resources" penalty, -23 is a bit steep.

My third would be to raise the prices for tech trades,.The A.I offers them too cheap.

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 3/28/2010 6:57:12 PM >

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 32
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 6:58:16 PM   
Erik Rutins

Wade,

As I posted in another thread:

I wish we hadn't needed a quick update, but the game was not rushed. We were waiting on the final art for a while, the code was (as far as we could tell) solid.

Please don't post the same message in more than one thread, it just makes more work for me.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 33
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 7:01:15 PM   
Tycow

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wade1000

Although, it makes me wonder how rushed the game was...even though I said this earlier:

quote:

I like to see that the developers are very active on the forum informing us of their diligent efforts to improve the game. I hope it continues in future.

(http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2417594&mpage=2&key= from: 'A preview of what we are testing internally... ")

Buy the game and find out!

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 34
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 7:01:17 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76
My first tweak would be to make the A.I put a much higher value on trading planets.You can buy vital colonies from them pretty cheaply.It is a exploit.

Hm, I've only seen them really willing to part with developing colonies. If you are getting them to part with strategic and fully developed systems for a low price, then we definitely need to tweak that.

quote:

My second would be to lower the "we covert your resources" penalty, -23 is a bit steep.

Best way to get around this is to try not to encroach on them too much with your own bases and colonies. I don't think we want to reduce this just yet, let's see how things shake out over time. Alien races shouldn't be too easy to get along with.

quote:

My third would be to raise the prices for tech trades,.The A.I offers them too cheap.

I think the price depends on their relative value to your/their current tech level and progress in that tech area. For techs that are above your level, they should be fairly expensive. This may need a tweak after we see how the fixed economy balance is though.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 35
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 7:01:44 PM   
Wade1000

Alright. Thanks for your efforts. I can accept that you all saw the game as solid. I'm glad that it was fixed so fast. :)

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 36
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 7:01:56 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: RViener
Erik, Just to let you know CTD's with victory conditions resolved even with all settings checked.

Excellent, glad to have that confirmed.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to RViener)
Post #: 37
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 7:02:16 PM   
EagleMountainDK

quote:

quote:

What are you talking about Wade?

In every piece of software are bugs and errors. Don't measure a company alone on the release, but on the support and willingness to help out.

The only ugly bug for me was the zoom at the border crash, but I saved my games every 5 mins since I knew they were working on a patch. I will not call DW a rushed product. And no, I take it very easy and is still learning so were never in the red.

Do you even have the game?

Thanks for the great support Matrix and Code Force.

< Message edited by Cougar_DK -- 3/28/2010 7:03:15 PM >

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 38
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 7:06:21 PM   
Wade1000

I was only wondering because it was a major economic bug. I accept what Erik Rutins says though.

I was seeing how everything was flowing after release. I am getting the game now. heh :D

(in reply to EagleMountainDK)
Post #: 39
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 7:15:33 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

Hm, I've only seen them really willing to part with developing colonies. If you are getting them to part with strategic and fully developed systems for a low price, then we definitely need to tweak that.

But early game every colony is developing so you can basically kill their empire before they can grow.I am never happy with A.I trading planets at all because it does not understand what is a great strategic colony or not.

The A.I traded this colony for a tiny amount.8000

< Message edited by ASHBERY76 -- 3/28/2010 7:32:16 PM >

Post #: 40
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 7:32:04 PM   
Erik Rutins

Normally they should also only be willing to trade a colony that's in a "disputed" or border region. Are you able to get them to trade all their colonies away? If so, I agree that needs a look.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 41
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 7:34:01 PM   
Montesano

After a very quick check this patch seems to fix the economy issues I was having. Freighters immediately started working again and are delivering luxury goods to the colony. Haven't spent enough time with it yet to see if it helped crashes, but so far so good. 

Post #: 42
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 7:41:32 PM   
JosEPhII

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

Ash,

I've already had an AI sell me a colony and then threaten me for being in "Their" system. And a few turns later attacked the planet and declared War. It was originally an Independent of their race.

I agree about #2.

I disagree with #3. When a Tech costs over 1,000,000 that's Not too cheap. Heck even a XX,XXX value tech is high. Especially with a tight budget.

Now if after the patch my economy by the time I get 6-10 colonies starts hitting +6 figures (xxx,xxx) numbers then I might agree. But we'll have to wait on that.

Edit: to answer Erik's question, every AI colony that has been listed in the Trade offers have been fringe or former Independents that I have seen.
JosEPh

< Message edited by JosEPh_II -- 3/28/2010 7:50:47 PM >

"old and slow.....Watch out!"

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 43
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 7:48:21 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: JosEPh_II
Ash,

I've already had an AI sell me a colony and then threaten me for being in "Their" system. And a few turns later attacked the planet and declared War. It was originally an Independent of their race.

I agree about #2.

I disagree with #3. When a Tech costs over 1,000,000 that's Not too cheap. Heck even a XX,XXX value tech is high. Especially with a tight budget.

Now if after the patch my economy by the time I get 6-10 colonies starts hitting +6 figures (xxx,xxx) numbers then I might agree. But we'll have to wait on that.

JosEPh

Trading tech value needs to scale to your economy.After the patch the economy seems to get huge, so in theory you can get techs and planets for bugger all.

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 44
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 7:50:31 PM   
RonLugge

JOSEPH!  Long time no see!  :D

Anyway, thanks for the patch!  I'm kinda sad-panda about removing alt-f4 (I like my alt-f4 keyboard shortcut) but I'll live.  Thanks for the quick support!

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 45
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 7:53:01 PM   
JosEPhII

Ron!

Glad to see you aboard too!

Ash How big is Big? I just installed the patch so I havn't started playing yet with it.

JosEPh

(in reply to RonLugge)
Post #: 46
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 8:04:26 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: JosEPh_II

Ron!

Glad to see you aboard too!

Ash How big is Big? I just installed the patch so I havn't started playing yet with it.

JosEPh

The economy is so big now that the balance has been wrecked a bit.For instance Pirates are so cheap to pay off they are irelavent.You can give gifts and it does not hurt your balance at all.The economy needs to scale better.I only have 4 colonies.

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 47
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 8:15:39 PM   
JosEPhII

@ Ashbery

In all the games I started prior to the beta patch when I got up to 4 colonies my economy was running +50,000. But when I got to 6 and above is when it would tank. Last night's game I had 10 and I was -90k and losing -30k+ each month. I was to the point that I was going to have to scrap my whole fleet so the State balance sheet would get back to a + balance. I really dreaded that! But it was the only remedy I could see. And with my empire defenseless the Pirates would've had a HeyDay at mt eXpense. Not good at all.

Now I need to get playing with the patch and see how things shake out.

JosEPh

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 48
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 8:20:37 PM   
Hyfrydle

Okay I've installed the new patch and been running my save with economy issues at max speed and it appears to be improving in all areas except the actual cash available which has gone from -250,000 to -341,000. Income is +33,477 and on the empire summary state cashflow is 33,000 and private cashflow is 246,000 with a overall maintenance cost of 52,000.

All colony revenues are increasing and as far as I'm aware I haven't overbuilt. The AI colonys are now miles ahead of me as I can't afford to expand.

Is this the kind of thing I should expect? Will things improve longterm?

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 49
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 8:27:21 PM   
malkuth74

Much batter now you most certainly had a bug.

My income went from 50K to 140,000 K in a few minutes after the patch.

Thanks for the fix, my game took off and was actually fun at that point. Well until I ran into a bug where a war just ended for no reason. Just pfftt.. The sucky thing was that I had them beat. Was on way to taking over many systems when it just ended.

Dam!

Post #: 50
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 8:29:48 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hyfrydle
Is this the kind of thing I should expect? Will things improve longterm?

Yes, you're very, very deep in the economic hole, but things will improve longterm if you can stay with it. If you don't want to wait that long, starting a new game will also work.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Hyfrydle)
Post #: 51
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 8:32:47 PM   
malkuth74

Or you can use the editor to get you out of the hole. Since you might of suffered a bug, I don't consider it cheating. Just set yourself up at like 1K or something.

Post #: 52
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 8:35:39 PM   
Erik Rutins

Agreed on that, with the editor you could adjust that negative cash immediately. I think that's a great suggestion.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to malkuth74)
Post #: 53
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 10:32:37 PM   
Mad Russian

quote:

I was only wondering because it was a major economic bug. I accept what Erik Rutins says though.

I was seeing how everything was flowing after release. I am getting the game now. heh :D

BUY THE GAME! Stop speculating on what you THINK the game MIGHT be like. Get it and find out.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 54
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/28/2010 11:17:28 PM   
Marcuso

Tested patch and have had no problems with it so far. It looks like it fixed everything it was intended to fix.

MAJOR kudos to you guys for such speedy support.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 55
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/29/2010 12:03:41 AM   
magickoji

quote:

quote:

Wade, you and the "don't rushing the game mantra"... it's getting old give it a break. Because look, if the game wasn't released, I highly doubt if they would have found these other bugs. Beta testing can only find and do so much, it's once you let everyone try it out, that is when you will find these kind bugs. So your way doesn't hold any weight when it comes to software development. Now I agree that if the games doesn't even work when its release then it was rushed. But that is usually not the case, if it was. That company wouldn't last very long.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 56
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/29/2010 12:51:44 AM   
Wade1000

Anyway, yeah, I have the game now.

Nice Star Wars like music. Nice graphics.
The zoomed out galaxy seems blured/fuzzy a bit. Some ship graphics in the ship design list are blured/fuzzy a bit while others are very clear/sharp.

Now I will play around, use Galactopedia, tutorial, and manual.

(in reply to magickoji)
Post #: 57
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/29/2010 1:11:40 AM   
Erik Rutins

1.02 official is out now, I will keep this thread pinned until tomorrow, but the public beta will be going offline then in favor of the official update.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 58
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/29/2010 1:26:48 AM   
Andy Mac

Erik,

Just played a game through to me owning about half the map on a 700 star galaxy started under the hot fix patch.

A few observations.

1. With the economic fix as you said some other things need tweaking - I was now basically able to ignore money it was never a problem after I got to 3m I stopped caring and started buyting tech and planets that was with 5 monster fleets running around. I think the cost of supporting ships is probably to low now after the economic fix was processed.

2. I was able to buy lots of planets basically I ended up buying half the galaxy either with money or with tech so I think the AI needs to be a little more resistant.

These are both implications of the Beta hotfix patch so it does probably need some more tweaking.

3. Not a beta observation I found it really really hard to control my operations in the mid to end game I kept wanting to de clutter the map and suppress merchant ships, tankers, miners, automated patrol ships etc All I wanted to see was my fleets, enemy fleets and stars with a decent mouseover to tell me what was there would really help command and control if we could de sensitize the map for these things as it quickly became a war game later on

Great game btw

Post #: 59
RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available - 3/29/2010 1:30:55 AM   
Andy Mac

p.s. oh and

4. Late war when you have masses of warships being able to filter by class of warship and being able to order them to fuel, retrofit, go to base etc etc from the F7 screen would have really reduced the clicks i.e. more practical ship managment from that screen would have really helped - I had about 300 Frigates and Escorts running about and going through each one to retrofit them to latest tech was a real chore I ended up scrapping them en masse and building new ones because money was meaningless and it was less grief.

(in reply to Andy Mac)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Distant Worlds v1.0.2 Public Beta Now Available Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI