Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

How big is your galaxy and why do you play it?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 6:05:14 PM   
HsojVvad

I have played my longest game so far in a 400 star galaxy. and I am finding it too big LOL. I don't see what the big deal about having 1000 or 1400 stars, I find 400 stars to much right now. I am thinking of starting a new game and stick with the 100 stars like I originally planned to. Not shure if I should try 100 or 250 but thinking, since I restart all the time, I have no idea why I have restartitice, I do this in all my games I buy. I guess when you learn new things, you want to restart and try something different.

So I am just wundering, how do you guys and girls, (are there any girls here? ) is, what size galaxy you guys play in and why.
Post #: 1
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 6:07:55 PM   
ASHBERY76

1000 stars 20 Empires with very slow research.I like the the long expansion,exploration phase with large empires that you do not meet until much later.The new patch will help with some issues that hurt large galaxy playing.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 2
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 6:52:26 PM   
Athalian

Its not the size that matters, its how you use it 

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 3
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 7:36:52 PM   
HsojVvad

quote:

ORIGINAL: Athalian

Its not the size that matters, its how you use it 

LMFAO

(in reply to Athalian)
Post #: 4
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 7:47:46 PM   
freeboy

current 1000. I enjoy tghe expansion and growth phases...

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 5
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 7:56:47 PM   
Wade1000

My galaxy is huge and I play with it to release its potential.

Don't try to say that you don't play with your galaxy for a similiar reason. Everyone plays with their galaxy for similiar reasons.

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to freeboy)
Post #: 6
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 8:05:34 PM   
fabio80mi

250 stars is fine for me though too spammy.

I'd definetly play 100, however since the scale is always the same (it seems) distances on a 100 star galaxy are quite vast.
Problem with 250 on the other hand is the colonization spamming you get from the very start.. you have so many planets to colonize after a while u colonize everything. (15 years into the game= around 40-60 colonies starting with 1 and basic tech)

I cant really imagine how it is with 1000 stars

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 7
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 8:12:06 PM   
Shark7

1400...if you going to go big...go BIG!

I like the epic games for one reason they go on a long, long time. It's not about winning or losing, its about having fun. I don't even set victory conditions, I play the 1400 star galaxy in sandbox mode.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to fabio80mi)
Post #: 8
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 8:15:00 PM   
Wade1000

That's what she said.

Wish list:population centers beyond planetary(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Culture):Ships,Ring Orbitals,Sphere Orbitals,Ringworlds,Sphereworlds;ability to create & destroy planets,population centers,stars;AI competently using all advances & features.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 9
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 8:46:25 PM   
Barthheart

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

1400...if you going to go big...go BIG!

I like the epic games for one reason they go on a long, long time. It's not about winning or losing, its about having fun. I don't even set victory conditions, I play the 1400 star galaxy in sandbox mode.

Same here - Go Big or Go Home! 1400 sandbox.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 10
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 8:48:33 PM   
mightili

100 stars first playthrough, I don't want to 'live' in my game. This will be enough for a few days of play for me. MAYBE second playthrough, but I kinda doubt it. I think by the time I reach the goal I'll be already bored as hell chasing my construction ships all over the 100 star systems...

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 11
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 8:55:37 PM   
taltamir

maximum size galaxy, no victory conditions.

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to mightili)
Post #: 12
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 9:35:51 PM   
sarjen

For learning the game i tend to play with a 100 star galaxy with 4 to 5 AI races. Thats the way i play SOTS and its a fun thing to learn a lot. And its not so easy to become a major power.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 13
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 9:49:51 PM   
Korvus77

1000+ I prefer a bit of breathing room before being annoyed by other races. 

(in reply to sarjen)
Post #: 14
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 9:54:11 PM   
BigWolfChris

I will try larger maps once more patches are out that make the opponent AI abit more efficient

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to Korvus77)
Post #: 15
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 10:11:43 PM   
HsojVvad

I was having fun on 400 stars, met 3 races destroyed 1 pirate, one pirate joined me and 2 or 3 pirates left. I was finding the game a bit boring, because now that I have met races I wanted to interact with them more, by sending ships to thier systems. Problem is I couldn't find them since I didn't know where they were. I loved expanding, but got tired of being in the red, all the time.

It didn't make any sence, being in the red, then I did what I could to get out of the red, then I be like + 12000 then all of a sudden be in the red again. This is with the 1.02 patch. So I thought maybe I am expanding to fast too many ships, so I thought I would start a new game, smaller so I can see what is going on an not worry about colonizing every planet I see. That can come later.

(in reply to BigWolfChris)
Post #: 16
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 11:19:26 PM   
Interesting

I played the advanced tutorial game (dont know how many systems it had) and found it very short, after one day playing I already had explored 80% of the galaxy, and got a 2500K economy and 3000K credits and had finished research on 70% of the items. This didnt felt epic and long term enough. I like stuff that can last more than I can calculate properly even if its likelly that I will quit before finishing the game. Im one of those that like to "live" the game. I like sandbox games, regardless of genre.

When I played "Spore", I spent hundreds of hours in the same game, with the same civilization and didnt even got to see 10% of the milkway, but that game was shallow, made for 12 year old kids learning about the solar system.
In GalCiv IV, it always concerned me that the games would eventually end, besides the turn based system.

So, the galaxy I plan to start now that I think I know most of the game mechanics details and AI automation behaviors, custom designs for every ships, every automation on manual (because the AI is inferior more grievances than help, have a different "play style" than me and because leaving stuff with automation takes away my feeling of accomplishment and control) except explorers when there are no more Colonial planets to be taken and then only the explorers again.

I noticed in my first game (advanced tutorial) the research went way too fast. I HATE REACHING CAP TECH. Another thing is, even when I was the top dog on the universe with "The Way of the Ancients" government type and racial bonuses to research and a bunch of specialized research station on a BlackHole, I noticed one thing: the technological gap between me and the other civilizations wasnt very big, only really noticiable thing was "Construction" and "Habitat", one for the size of ships, the other for the types of colonies you can grab. And then, every other technology difference between me and the other factions was negligible. This made the whole research aspect of the game unappealing, besides the "upgrade" and "retrofit" one by one every 15 minutes problem.

So, for my next game, Im looking for the slowest research development.

Another thing that pisses me off a lot, is the AI considering my armed freighters, miners and passenger ships as "Military" and reducing my reputation with them everytime one of the private ships of my faction enters their territories! (God I hope they fix it, really, its not acceptable that freighters cant defend themselfs and at the same time being considered a treat, the player CANT EVEN CONTROL THEM!) This is so much of a pain that I decided to increase the hostility of the universe to the maximum, lots of Pirates/Aliens that once killed give me positive reputation (besides helping an ally in need, wich is rare and troublesome, this is the ONLY WAY to get a positive generic reputation bonus).

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 17
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 11:44:31 PM   
HsojVvad

I know what you mean about having fast reserach, I don't like it as well. I clicked on the lowest setting of research by accident. No wunder I coudln't research anything, it was soooo slow. :). I might like it in a longer game, when I have a good grasp of this game. Right now I only have a small grasp, so I want to have regular research. I can see, I will like the 400 star and slow tech game, once I know how most things work here, like how Interesting likes his games too. But not right now.

(in reply to Interesting)
Post #: 18
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 11:52:03 PM   
ASHBERY76

quote:

ORIGINAL: Interesting
Another thing that pisses me off a lot, is the AI considering my armed freighters, miners and passenger ships as "Military" and reducing my reputation with them everytime one of the private ships of my faction enters their territories! (God I hope they fix it, really, its not acceptable that freighters cant defend themselfs and at the same time being considered a treat, the player CANT EVEN CONTROL THEM!) This is so much of a pain that I decided to increase the hostility of the universe to the maximum, lots of Pirates/Aliens that once killed give me positive reputation (besides helping an ally in need, wich is rare and troublesome, this is the ONLY WAY to get a positive generic reputation bonus).

The state is ment to protect the private ships from pirates and empires,it is part of the gameplay.

(in reply to Interesting)
Post #: 19
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/5/2010 11:57:13 PM   
JosEPhII

3 400 star games and 1 700, all sandbox.

700 game is the most intense. And I finally have some MONEY to spend Where and When I want!

I think too many ppl are complaining about the Economy fix being too lenient. I totally Disagree right now. (I do reserve the right to change my mind with more play time.) I still have problems with early spending and getting stuck in the RED too often. Then it takes several years not months to get thing righted. This in turn causes me to lose ground in the race for Most colonies. And so far colony Rush is a Big Deal. Maybe it won't be after I have a month of play under my belt. But right now Colonies Are the Main ticket.

JosEPh

"old and slow.....Watch out!"

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 20
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/6/2010 12:58:27 AM   
Avenger

400 Stars, Slow research, Sandbox.

(in reply to JosEPhII)
Post #: 21
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/6/2010 1:18:27 AM   
Malevolence

Unable to complete a game thus far running 400 stars and 5 empires, no pocket empires become majors.

Despite +100 diplomacy/allies, eventually the universe runs into complete chaos, because bases and colonies become mixed inside the same systems and apparently everyone really really hates their allies who are more successful.

(in reply to Avenger)
Post #: 22
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/6/2010 2:50:18 AM   
Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

Unable to complete a game thus far running 400 stars and 5 empires, no pocket empires become majors.

Despite +100 diplomacy/allies, eventually the universe runs into complete chaos, because bases and colonies become mixed inside the same systems and apparently everyone really really hates their allies who are more successful.

I imagine that's how a full galaxy might end up where there is no alliance/union victory and each race/empire is striving for control, power, and ensured existance.

(in reply to Malevolence)
Post #: 23
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/6/2010 2:58:50 AM   
Erik Rutins

When I'm not testing, just for my own fun, I like 250-400 Stars, Scattered Alien Life, Starting Expansion, Unstable Aggression, Very Slow Research Speed, Normal Space Creatures and Pirates, Normal Home System, Starting Size, Basic Tech Level, 7-10 other races and independents allowed to form their own empires.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 24
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/6/2010 3:25:55 AM   
JonathanStrange

quote:

When I'm not testing, just for my own fun, I like 250-400 Stars, Scattered Alien Life, Starting Expansion, Unstable Aggression, Very Slow Research Speed, Normal Space Creatures and Pirates, Normal Home System, Starting Size, Basic Tech Level, 7-10 other races and independents allowed to form their own empires.

Hey, those sound like good band names! Unstable Aggression! Normal Space Creatures. Scattered Alien Life. Slow Research Speed. Not bad.

Well, back to the arguing with the Docking Master that "Yes, I have authorization to upgrade the ENTIRE fleet".

The opinions expressed by JonathanStrange are solely those of JonathanStrange and do not reflect the opinions of Matrix Games, the forum members of Matrix Games, the forum moderators, or JonathanStrange.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 25
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/6/2010 3:28:05 AM   
BigWolfChris

quote:

ORIGINAL: Wade1000

quote:

ORIGINAL: Malevolence

I imagine that's how a full galaxy might end up where there is no alliance/union victory and each race/empire is striving for control, power, and ensured existance.

Personally, I would prefer some form of "border system" so empires planets aren't mixed across random stars, but with how the travel mechanics work... I can't really think of a way too make it work

AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core @3.7GHz
2x16 GB Vengeance LPX 2666MHz RAM
MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G
SSD Drive

(in reply to Wade1000)
Post #: 26
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/6/2010 6:37:35 AM   
EisenHammer

250-400 stars, slow tech, 7-10 empires.

(in reply to BigWolfChris)
Post #: 27
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/6/2010 7:51:31 AM   
Gertjan

It seems that everyone likes the slow tech here. I agree, it makes it much easier to keep track of your ship designs (otherwise you'll have to redesign/retrofit your ships every 5 minutes).

(in reply to EisenHammer)
Post #: 28
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/11/2010 3:06:48 PM   
Anthropoid

I recently discovered that my Galaxy is 1400"! Between that and my 42" big screen TV I may never leave the house, as long as the supply of NOS, dorito chips and aloe lotion doesn't run out

The x-ray is her siren song. My ship cannot resist her long. Nearer to my deadly goal. Until the black hole. Gains control...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkIIlkyZ328&feature=autoplay&list=AL94UKMTqg-9CocLGbd6tpbuQRxyF4FGNr&playnext=3

(in reply to Gertjan)
Post #: 29
RE: How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? - 4/11/2010 3:10:58 PM   
Webbco

Gertjan, this is a great point! It's really obvious but I hadn't thought of it!

I've been struggling to keep my ship designs up-to-date with research on normal and it's been seriously annoying me having to release a new version of each class of ship every few mins.

This is an obvious solution that I'm gonna try with my next game :)

(in reply to Anthropoid)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> How big is your galaxy and why do you play it? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI