Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  727 728 [729] 730 731   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/11/2010 10:47:23 PM   
AW1Steve

Just back from Kitty Hawk NC tithe...

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 21841
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 5:15:53 AM   
Terminus

Another week is upon us tithe...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 21842
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 7:51:41 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 21843
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 7:52:46 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

It's been raining for three straight days here tithe... from around 20 degrees Centigrade and beautiful spring (sun and blue skies) we are back to gray and around 10 degrees Centigrade...

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 21844
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 8:53:12 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

The woman photographer who braves temperatures of -20 degrees Centigrade to take stunning pictures of Northern Lights

by Daily Mail UK

A photographer has captured some of the most stunning examples of the Northern Lights ever seen.

Travelling each year to Northern Manitoba in Canada to capture the Aurora Borealis, Linda Drake braves temperatures of minus 20 degrees in search of that elusive perfect shot.

Making the pilgrimage to just south of the Arctic Circle, in March each year, the 40-year-old has developed a passion for the heavenly phenomenon.

Most people travel to Churchill in Manitoba to photograph the polar bears coming out of hibernation in February and March, but I like to set up camp and wait each evening for the dancing lights and nature's most breathtaking show,' said the San Luis Obisto based photographer.

'It never ceases to amaze me how grand the shows of colour are and how each one differs so wildly from the last.

'Hopefully in these pictures I have managed to capture the beauty that has transfixed me.'

Usually catching the light shows between midnight and two in the morning, Linda uses a variety of different camera exposure times to photograph the aurora.

'Sometimes I leave the lens open for two to three seconds and on other occasions go for 30 seconds to one whole minute,' said Linda.

'The longest display of the northern lights that I have seen has lasted for up to two hours.'

Caused by photon emissions in the upper ionosphere around 50 miles up, the light shows are the result of ionised nitrogen atoms becoming excited by solar wind particles funnelling through the Earth's atmosphere.

'I have braved the coldest temperatures I have ever experienced to get these photographs,' said Linda.

'The way that the sky moves like an ocean current is mesmerising and takes my breath away.

'I have been doing this for four years now and hope to continue into the future with my northern light fascination.'

Linda Drake uses a variety of different camera exposure times to photograph the spectacular lights:

The photographer braves temperatures of minus 20c in Canada's northern Manitoba to capture the light shows:

The Northern Lights are the result of ionised nitrogen atoms becoming excited by solar wind particles funnelling through the Earth's atmosphere:

The light shows typically take place between midnight and 2am:

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 21845
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 9:04:35 AM   
Grollub

Mornin' gents.

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 21846
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 9:12:01 AM   
sprior

Morning men

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 21847
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 9:22:17 AM   
comte

Good Morning guys Nice article Leo

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 21848
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 10:28:31 AM   
Grollub

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

The woman photographer who braves temperatures of -20 degrees Centigrade to take stunning pictures of Northern Lights

by Daily Mail UK

A photographer has captured some of the most stunning examples of the Northern Lights ever seen.

Travelling each year to Northern Manitoba in Canada to capture the Aurora Borealis, Linda Drake braves temperatures of minus 20 degrees in search of that elusive perfect shot.

Making the pilgrimage to just south of the Arctic Circle, in March each year, the 40-year-old has developed a passion for the heavenly phenomenon.

Most people travel to Churchill in Manitoba to photograph the polar bears coming out of hibernation in February and March, but I like to set up camp and wait each evening for the dancing lights and nature's most breathtaking show,' said the San Luis Obisto based photographer.

'It never ceases to amaze me how grand the shows of colour are and how each one differs so wildly from the last.

'Hopefully in these pictures I have managed to capture the beauty that has transfixed me.'

Usually catching the light shows between midnight and two in the morning, Linda uses a variety of different camera exposure times to photograph the aurora.

'Sometimes I leave the lens open for two to three seconds and on other occasions go for 30 seconds to one whole minute,' said Linda.

'The longest display of the northern lights that I have seen has lasted for up to two hours.'

Caused by photon emissions in the upper ionosphere around 50 miles up, the light shows are the result of ionised nitrogen atoms becoming excited by solar wind particles funnelling through the Earth's atmosphere.

'I have braved the coldest temperatures I have ever experienced to get these photographs,' said Linda.

'The way that the sky moves like an ocean current is mesmerising and takes my breath away.

'I have been doing this for four years now and hope to continue into the future with my northern light fascination.'

Linda Drake uses a variety of different camera exposure times to photograph the spectacular lights:

The photographer braves temperatures of minus 20c in Canada's northern Manitoba to capture the light shows:

The Northern Lights are the result of ionised nitrogen atoms becoming excited by solar wind particles funnelling through the Earth's atmosphere:

Leo "Apollo11"

It's nice to at times be reminded that Northern lights is something special for other people. Coming from the northern parts of Sweden, for us this is something so common that we almost never think about it.

Nice article though, even if I (also) had some issues with the word "braves" in the headlines. -20C isn't very cold, IMHO ...

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 21849
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 11:11:35 AM   
sprior

quote:

-20C isn't very cold, IMHO ...

Oh yes it is!

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 21850
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 12:08:50 PM   
sprior

Things must have changed since my time. Sleeping on watch????????

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/12/sub_prang/

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 21851
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 12:12:31 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Morning, zonked out on Allegra, tithe.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 21852
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 12:16:07 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

Oh yes it is!

Depends what the other conditions are. from what I hear -20 can be just very still and crisp. I wouldnt recommend peeing outside, but if you are well dressed, it's hardly even uncomfortable. But if its humid and windy, its absolutely miserable.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 21853
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 12:22:40 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

by Daily Mail UK

Leo "Apollo11"

Thanks for sharing Leo! One of the things I miss most about all the time I spent in the Arctic!

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 21854
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 12:24:16 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Things must have changed since my time. Sleeping on watch????????

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/12/sub_prang/

Things have indeed changed my friend! We used to say that "this wasn't our Dad's Navy". Now we can say "It's not our Navy!".

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 21855
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 12:25:41 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

It's funny. I use Allegra because Zytec did the same thing to me. You need lots of coffee (or in your case, black tea!).

Post #: 21856
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 12:27:52 PM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh yes it is!

Depends what the other conditions are. from what I hear -20 can be just very still and crisp. I wouldnt recommend peeing outside, but if you are well dressed, it's hardly even uncomfortable. But if its humid and windy, its absolutely miserable.

Arctic conditions are usually VERY dry. But you are absolutely correct about the wind. I'd much rather face that temperature in Greenland than half that cold in Chicago!

Post #: 21857
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 12:28:37 PM   
AW1Steve

Good morning tithe...

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 21858
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 12:44:39 PM   
USSAmerica

Good Monday morning - Tithe. 

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 21859
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 1:52:41 PM   
Terminus

Sunny-but-cold-but-workday-over-in-eight-minutes-tithe...

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 21860
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 1:55:11 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Better living through chemistry, homey.

Post #: 21861
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 1:57:43 PM   
Chickenboy

Leo,

Gorgeous pictures, thanks for sharing. We got to see the Northern Lights here in the twin cities about five years ago. It was unusual for them to come so far South. Simply a stunning experience.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21862
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 1:58:05 PM   
Chickenboy

Good morning, dudes.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21863
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 2:10:35 PM   
Grollub

Dude. Same.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21864
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 2:14:20 PM   
Grollub

quote:

quote:

quote:

Oh yes it is!

Exactly. It's not unusual with temps below 30C up north. When those temps happens, it's usually very dry and no winds, which means that if you have dressed correctly it's no problem.

Post #: 21865
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 2:27:01 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

Better living through chemistry, homey.

I take Allegra every day for pet and seasonal allergies. It doesn't bother me, but when I need to add a Benedryl on really bad days, look out!

Yes, I have pet allergies and I married a veterinarian. We have 2 dogs and 4 cats currently.

Mike

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 21866
LOG! - 4/12/2010 3:03:59 PM   
Nikademus

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 21867
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 3:10:52 PM   
ChickenOfTheSea

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChickenOfTheSea

Today while researching Urumqi I learned something of vast importance. Who was General Tso of General Tso's chicken? He was a 19th century Chinese general (a contemporary of Custer) that was involved in recapturing Urumqi and Kashgar for the Chinese Empire from a local warlord.

As far as I'm concerned, he is added to my list of war criminals for crimes against chickens along with Colonel Sanders.

Do you also take offense for what the Mongolians did to cows?

No, but I do take offense at what the British do to beef.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is. - Manfred Eigen

Post #: 21868
RE: LOG! - 4/12/2010 3:30:00 PM   
Terminus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nikademus

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sawing wood, eh?

(in reply to Nikademus)
Post #: 21869
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 4/12/2010 3:58:10 PM   
USSAmerica

SLR.  

Mike

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 21870
Page:   <<   < prev  727 728 [729] 730 731   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD!!! Page: <<   < prev  727 728 [729] 730 731   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI