Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Resupply Ships

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Resupply Ships Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Resupply Ships - 4/19/2010 1:20:23 PM   
DiggyDad

Could someone please tell me how to deploy one of these buggers. Please?
Post #: 1
RE: Resupply Ships - 4/19/2010 1:30:59 PM   
Sliverine

u select one (i dont think selecting a group works here), then you find a gas planet that has a gaseous type that you want, then you right click on that planet (with the resup ship selected) and there will be an option to deploy on the planet.

Inherent bugs involved: If you select a planet with more then one gas type, the ship will just mine all the gas types upon deployment. And as ONLY one type of gas is used for refueling other ships, the additional space that appears in the cargohold is replaced not just by that one type of gas but also by all the other types (i.e. there are 3 gas types at the gas giant that are being mined by the ship but you only use one. Therefore, for every 3 units of that single type you use, it is replaced by one of every type, which means that the type that u need is only replaced with 1 for every 3 used). This results in the total amount of usable gas type being slowly 'deplenished' until the stage where its cargoholds will be filled with every other gas type BUT the one that you need (saturation point) at which stage the resup ship is practically rendered useless. This is a hypothetical bug that i thought might exist (since resup ships have gas miners and mining components have been shown to mine every single type of resource available). If any devs can prove me wrong or explain if there is a selective mining code already in place (which i doubt), pls do clarify here :)

< Message edited by Sliverine -- 4/19/2010 1:32:31 PM >

(in reply to DiggyDad)
Post #: 2
RE: Resupply Ships - 4/19/2010 2:35:36 PM   
Wicky

Why build resupply ships, I always design my vehicles with extra fuel tanks and this makes an already too complex game a bit more bearable, when it comes to micromanagement.

(in reply to Sliverine)
Post #: 3
RE: Resupply Ships - 4/19/2010 5:53:18 PM   
Sliverine

If you equip more fuel tanks, you sacrifice other useful components like weapons, engines, shields and stuff like that. I like my ships to have a reasonable range but sacrificing usability for range is not something that i like to do. Why gimp all your ships when you can just build one resupply ship and solve all that range problems.

Think of a resupply ship as a mobile base. You dont have to micromanage it, you can just bring it along with your fleet and deploy in whatever system that has a gas giant that holds the resource you need.

< Message edited by Sliverine -- 4/19/2010 5:55:14 PM >

(in reply to Wicky)
Post #: 4
RE: Resupply Ships - 4/19/2010 7:21:23 PM   
Wicky

Whatever, micromanaging your resupply ship is not what I like to do.
You will soon find out, that managing your empire is a lot of fun and also easy, as long as you have less than 10 systems and less than 5 enemies.
But once you have 120+ systems with multiple colonies and at least 12+ races which are at war with you, you cannot possibly ever manage your resupply ships anymore! It's best to equip all military forces with extra tanks, and let them refuel at the planet they have just captured. If they didn't manage to capture, just build new ships.

< Message edited by Wicky -- 4/19/2010 7:22:00 PM >

(in reply to Sliverine)
Post #: 5
RE: Resupply Ships - 4/20/2010 2:38:36 AM   
DiggyDad

how about gas clouds then, do they serve any useful function? 

(in reply to Wicky)
Post #: 6
RE: Resupply Ships - 4/20/2010 2:44:08 AM   
Sliverine

the only useful feature of gas clouds are that they are all 100% resource, meaning if you mine from them, u get full returns, something which is rarely (but still possible at times) found on normal gas giants.

< Message edited by Sliverine -- 4/20/2010 2:46:38 AM >

(in reply to DiggyDad)
Post #: 7
RE: Resupply Ships - 4/20/2010 6:46:11 AM   
Fishman

Although this particular usage is complained about, you can also use Resupply Ships as the toughest ridge-crest and most rigid flipper of your early fleet, as they do not have the same size limitations as regular ships, being mobile ships. While this particular usage has been moaned about as an abuse of the rules, the fact of the matter is that even the default design is suitable for this use.

In any event, by late game, it ceases to be an issue as even the "Standard" ship size becomes massively huge to the point of impractical ostentatiousness.

(in reply to Sliverine)
Post #: 8
RE: Resupply Ships - 4/20/2010 9:06:39 AM   
Okim

Play Quamenos. Their starting reactor is extremely fuel-conserving and by adding an additional single energy collector to your ships you can reduce fuel consumption by your ships even further. It uses hydrogen BTW.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 9
RE: Resupply Ships - 4/20/2010 11:37:42 AM   
siRkid

Is there a visual indication as to the type of fuel your ships need or do you have to memorize each engine type and what ships have what engine?

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to Okim)
Post #: 10
RE: Resupply Ships - 4/20/2010 12:08:07 PM   
Sliverine

out of all the races, i think the ones with either the pro starter reactor or the pro hyperdrive are worth considering

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 11
RE: Resupply Ships - 4/20/2010 12:18:59 PM   
Fishman

The Quamenos are not really such a great pick at the moment. The reactor is decent, but pretty much all of their other racial bonuses are worthless: They are pretty much entirely research-bonus centric, in both their racial attributes and special government. Unfortunately, because their research bonus is applied BEFORE the capping process, it is nearly totally worthless! They are otherwise largely mediocre to weak in all other ways, and so the reactor alone is just not quite enough to sell them. The sheer profusion of Oceanic worlds in 1.02 helps, but that is nothing that the other aquatics don't also get: The Ackdarians have the high-efficiency thruster which will help your fuel economy in the same way as the reactor, while the Wekkarus have the best economic boost in the game. All in all, the crippled uselessness of racial/govt research bonuses severely hampers the value of the research races.

On the other hand, simply changing the research bonus so that it works the same way as the ruins boosters instantly makes them awesome again, so...

(in reply to Sliverine)
Post #: 12
RE: Resupply Ships - 4/20/2010 5:57:20 PM   
Fat_Harry

When i used a resupply ship I ran into an issue similar to Sliverine's hypothical problem

I noticed that the resupply ship only mined caslon or hydrogen even if others were present when deployed. The problem however is that I rarely have fleets that require both fuels.

After prolonged use the end result was a cargo hold full of the fuel type i dont need with no way to jettison it.

(in reply to Sliverine)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Resupply Ships Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI