Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Re: Simpleton Tip #24

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Re: Simpleton Tip #24 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Re: Simpleton Tip #24 - 5/6/2002 5:04:23 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Goblin
[B]To guarantee the arrival of your Special Ops troops, place their infiltration hexes nowhere near where you will actually need them. If you put them where you need them (i.e. in a dangerous spot), your troops will not show up.

Goblin- A Goblin keeps checking his watch [/B][/QUOTE]

[I]Note: To hasten the arrival of your spec-ops troops, place their infiltration hex on either a pub or any beach hex that also contains pretty girls. If your spec-ops troops fail to show up at their other, more dangerous locations, check the pubs and beaches first.[/I]

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 61
Spoiler - 5/6/2002 6:32:36 AM   
Lars

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mogami
[B]The first line should be composed of cheap units like scouts inf AT teams and MG's placed 2-3 hexes behind a screen of mines (you should always spend 5-10% of your total points on mines when conducting defense. 1-3% on meeting engagements deployed around A0 and rear Victory hexes to discourage infiltrators).[/B]
[/QUOTE]

Hi
I just feel I have to make a comment on this subject, no offense Mogami, your tips are very good otherwise.

I think that you [U]never[/U] should buy mines in a meeting, advance or assault scenario in PBEM games, if you didn't agree on this with your opponent. The standard is not allowing mines in offensive actions apart from those mines laid by engineers.

/Lars

:D Plays for fun! :cool:

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b2.jpg [/img]
[img]http://www.redzoneforums.com/images/avatars/gia

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 62
Simpleton Tip #25 - 5/6/2002 11:25:05 PM   
Goblin

For the French-

Watch your flank!

Goblin- A Goblin likes fries

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 63
Re: Spoiler - 5/6/2002 11:31:34 PM   
Goblin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lars
[B]

Hi
I just feel I have to make a comment on this subject, no offense Mogami, your tips are very good otherwise.

I think that you [U]never[/U] should buy mines in a meeting, advance or assault scenario in PBEM games, if you didn't agree on this with your opponent. The standard is not allowing mines in offensive actions apart from those mines laid by engineers.

/Lars [/B][/QUOTE]

Lars,

I've now played several of the guys on the forum, and the use of mines on all missions seems to be generally accepted. I believe its ok unless your opponent specifically requests that you NOT use them, and you agree. Otherwise it seems that the standard is mines are allowed. Especially in an assault scenario! Remember, in actual battle, you don't ask permission from the enemy for mine use.

Goblin- A Goblin hates assaults:mad:

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 64
- 5/7/2002 12:53:06 AM   
Grenadier

When do you guys find the time to actually PLAY?:)

Brent Grenadier Richards

[url=http://

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 65
- 5/7/2002 12:58:45 AM   
Goblin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brent
[B]When do you guys find the time to actually PLAY?:) [/B][/QUOTE]

We skip sleeping, eating, and other non-essentials, just like you.;)

Goblin- A Goblin misses the Mrs

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 66
Re: Re: Spoiler - 5/7/2002 3:05:05 AM   
Bernie

[B]

Lars,

I've now played several of the guys on the forum, and the use of mines on all missions seems to be generally accepted. I believe its ok unless your opponent specifically requests that you NOT use them, and you agree. Otherwise it seems that the standard is mines are allowed. Especially in an assault scenario! Remember, in actual battle, you don't ask permission from the enemy for mine use.

Goblin- A Goblin hates assaults:mad: [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually, there's a preferences setting for mines, just like limited ammo, historic ratings, etc. If a player wants no mines, just set it that way during the initial game setup.

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 67
Mines or No mines - 5/7/2002 4:49:55 AM   
Lars

To Goblin and Bernie

Well I've played this game both solitaire and as PBEM since it was released about two years ago, so I'm not unfamiliar with it. ;)

The question about the use of mines has been discussed on the forum before, and as far as I remember the conclusion was that the use of mines in offensive actions wasn't only unhistorical, but also on the rim of cheating.
Also the aspect of mines in your home VH area was discussed and the got the same verdict.
If however, there is a new standard moving in, the matters maybe should be brought back up again for discussion?

I'm definitely not here to tell you what you should or should not do, but for newcomers I wouldn't give such a tip cause it could lead to some unpleasant problems when you're trying to find good playing partners.

All in good will :) :)
/Lars

[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b2.jpg [/img]

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 68
Re: Mines or No mines - 5/7/2002 5:38:42 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Lars
[B]To Goblin and Bernie

Well I've played this game both solitaire and as PBEM since it was released about two years ago, so I'm not unfamiliar with it. ;)

The question about the use of mines has been discussed on the forum before, and as far as I remember the conclusion was that the use of mines in offensive actions wasn't only unhistorical, but also on the rim of cheating.
Also the aspect of mines in your home VH area was discussed and the got the same verdict.
If however, there is a new standard moving in, the matters maybe should be brought back up again for discussion?

I'm definitely not here to tell you what you should or should not do, but for newcomers I wouldn't give such a tip cause it could lead to some unpleasant problems when you're trying to find good playing partners.

All in good will :) :)
/Lars [/B][/QUOTE]

Okay, two things here:

1st) As you might have guessed from the thread title, this is a humorous thread, not to really be taken seriously.

2nd) If two players don't communicate between themselves before playing the game, or fail to use the settings provided in the game, there's no way in hell you're blaming it on me. :)

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 69
Re: Re: Mines or No mines - 5/7/2002 5:45:43 AM   
Goblin

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie
[B]

Okay, two things here:

1st) As you might have guessed from the thread title, this is a humorous thread, not to really be taken seriously.

2nd) If two players don't communicate between themselves before playing the game, or fail to use the settings provided in the game, there's no way in hell you're blaming it on me. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Ditto!;) (I do understand what you are saying Lars. Communication is the key!) What Bernie said!

Goblin- A Goblin violates Bernie's copyright

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 70
Re: Re: Mines or No mines - 5/7/2002 6:19:26 AM   
Lars

[B]

Okay, two things here:

2nd) If two players don't communicate between themselves before playing the game, or fail to use the settings provided in the game, there's no way in hell you're blaming it on me. :) [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry Guy's
But I feel there is some importance in this...

1a) Yes, I like your and Goblin's humorous style of chat on the forum, and I recognized it. ;)
1b) The post that I replied on was a serious post AFAIK, and I think Mogami intended it as such.

2) Don't worry Bernie I won't blame you... :)

It is however important to be fair and square to those who is new to SPWaW. There are a lot of unwritten rules in this game and it isn't always easy as a newcomer to be so communicative.
To help and support new players is a part of this excellent community, and I think both you and Goblin tributes to this in a grand way.

I just tried to make a clarification on a subject that I thought was wrong and could mean trouble to those using it. If this subject is questionable, then it maybe should be brought up in another part of this forum.

Regards
/Lars

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 71
- 5/7/2002 6:48:47 AM   
Goblin

Disclaimer:

If you are new and/or playing with a human opponent, make sure you discuss what is to be fair in your game. There is a lot of good advice on this forum, and you should use it all, just be clear your opponent agrees. Otherwise, its no fun, and thats what this is all about.:)

Goblin- A Goblin consulted the legal department:)

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 72
Simpleton Tip # 26 - 5/7/2002 6:51:02 AM   
Goblin

Do NOT pi$$ off a Swede!

Goblin- A Goblin avoids angry mountain men

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 73
Re: Simpleton Tip # 26 - 5/7/2002 7:24:43 AM   
Bernie

[B]Do NOT pi$$ off a Swede!

Goblin- A Goblin avoids angry mountain men [/B][/QUOTE]

[I]Note: They don't like it very much when you pi$$ [B]on[/B] them either, best just to hold it until you get to Germany.[/I]

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 74
- 5/7/2002 7:38:04 AM   
Bernie

[B]Disclaimer:

If you are new and/or playing with a human opponent, make sure you discuss what is to be fair in your game. There is a lot of good advice on this forum, and you should use it all, just be clear your opponent agrees. Otherwise, its no fun, and thats what this is all about.:)

Goblin- A Goblin consulted the legal department:) [/B][/QUOTE]

[I]Addendum: Your mileage may vary, taxes, title and license fees not included, batteries not included except in the case where they are included, some models may show optional equipment which is standard on some other models, see store for details, also see store for ge-tails, ke-tails, and all other strange animal tails, Bill Gates gets to keep your firstborn, Steve Jobs gets your second born, the Surgeon general has determined that generally, surgery is risky, unless you have a really good staff, initial APR 26 rnds, use them wisely but forget that force junk Luke, all entries become property of the editors and all editors become property of the publisher who is busy clearing his house in case the prize patrol shows up, all winners must submit an affidavit of eligibility no later than 14 years prior to birth, if born prior to submitting the affidavit of eligibility than prize will be awarded to anyone who runs up. No Deposit, No Return.[/I]

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 75
- 5/7/2002 7:49:34 AM   
Supervisor

Two in the same day, I must be ill.:)

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 76
- 5/7/2002 8:07:35 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gmenfan
[B]Two in the same day, I must be ill.:) [/B][/QUOTE]

You're two-timing us, MLM? ;)

Goblin will be honored...:)

What, me worry?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 77
- 5/7/2002 8:36:07 AM   
Goblin

Good lord! Two in one day! Plus a 50/50 with Mogami! gmenfan for President!

I gotta say I [I]am [/I] honored. Since this thread had everyone participating, we are ALL in the Hall!:D

Goblin- A Goblin is stunned

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 78
- 5/7/2002 7:30:37 PM   
Goblin

[B]

[I]Addendum: Your mileage may vary, taxes, title and license fees not included, batteries not included except in the case where they are included, some models may show optional equipment which is standard on some other models, see store for details, also see store for ge-tails, ke-tails, and all other strange animal tails, Bill Gates gets to keep your firstborn, Steve Jobs gets your second born, the Surgeon general has determined that generally, surgery is risky, unless you have a really good staff, initial APR 26 rnds, use them wisely but forget that force junk Luke, all entries become property of the editors and all editors become property of the publisher who is busy clearing his house in case the prize patrol shows up, all winners must submit an affidavit of eligibility no later than 14 years prior to birth, if born prior to submitting the affidavit of eligibility than prize will be awarded to anyone who runs up. No Deposit, No Return.[/I] [/B][/QUOTE]

I just thought that needed repeating for you slower guys. It also reflects on the ZAP he recieved fixing his monitor!

Goblin- A Goblin says "Huh?";)

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 79
Simpleton Tip #27 - 5/7/2002 7:33:48 PM   
Goblin

If you forget which end is which on your Bazooka, you are going to quickly lose friends, giving you twice as many enemies. Business end at bad guys!

Goblin- A Goblin checks the owners manual

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 80
Proper amount of mines - 5/8/2002 10:18:09 AM   
mogami

Count all the hex on your side of the map, Now divide by 5 multiply by 10 and you arrive at the amount of points you need for mines.:eek:

Sorry about the confusion I meant you should spend 10 percent when you are defending. The people I play against don't limit what we are allowed to buy, we just moan about it once the game starts "dirty b&^%^& spent 4k on Wurfermen and ammo dumps") So for meeting engagements I do buy around 3percent mines. I do this as a means of shortening my front to concentrate.
Since to me a meeting engagement is going to occur some where near the front it seems logical that there might be mines on the front (I don't know perhaps they are left overs from WW1)
If there are no mines in a meeting engagement what are the engineers going to do? and just what would be wrong with mining your own victory hexes (I don't actually mine the VH just the approaches to them) If they are so important you'd think a commander would actually deploy something to protect them. (and prevent the enemy from moving to them) I consider all hexes on the enemy starting side to be mined untill one (or more) of my units has checked them. (I also consider every hex to contain an enemy unit untill one (or more) of my units has checked them

Grognard means grumbler

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 81
Re: Simpleton Tip #27 - 5/8/2002 7:32:46 PM   
panda124c

[B]If you forget which end is which on your Bazooka, you are going to quickly lose friends, giving you twice as many enemies. Business end at bad guys!

Goblin- A Goblin checks the owners manual [/B][/QUOTE]

Hey aren't they marked TETE (This End Toward Enemy).

Tip #2 do not stand behind the Recoiless Rifle. :D

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 82
Simpleton Tip #29 - 5/8/2002 8:58:28 PM   
Goblin

Burning trees are bad for your soldiers morale if they are in them! Move them out of burning hexes to improve thier mood.

Goblin- A Goblin loves Arbor Day

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 83
Simpleton Tip #30 - 5/10/2002 2:58:22 AM   
Goblin

If you want to win a tank duel, try to have bigger, meaner tanks, with bigger, meaner guns [SIZE=1](like a Big Cat)[/SIZE]. If your goal is to be turned into ashes, then the choice for you is wimpy little tanks, with wimpy little guns [SIZE=1](like a Sherman)[/SIZE] .

Goblin- A Goblin is defiant:)

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 84
- 6/21/2002 11:23:52 PM   
challenge

Just because something costs more doesn't mean it's necessarily better.

Challenge

War is unhealthy for die-stamped cardboard and other paper products.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 85
- 7/10/2002 11:36:17 AM   
G_X

While Panther's are related to Tigers, never settle for second best!

If attempting an amphibious or River Crossing type assault, be sure that your mean are properly prepared, Tanks don't tend to float and most soldiers don't like to swim ashore ;)

If you can read this, you're at the end of my post.
SPWaW Record: W:0 / L:0 / D:0

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 86
- 7/20/2002 4:29:47 AM   
Kaakao

Don't kill your troops on your turn, that's the job of the enemy.

Lonely squad = dead squad

Lonely tank = dead tank

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 87
Mines - 7/20/2002 11:18:28 PM   
El Vito

I have polled the Priests of the Temple of Syrinx and they all agree that prelaid mines should not be used in a meeting engagement. This is a fluid battle where both sides are advancing. Mines layed DURING an engagement would be acceptable. Mines should primarily used in Assault/Defences But of course whatever 2 players agree to beforehand........ You should listen to what I say because I'm very self-important.

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 88
Re: Simpleton Tip # 26 - 7/22/2002 3:10:06 AM   
Belisarius

[B]Do NOT pi$$ off a Swede!

Goblin- A Goblin avoids angry mountain men [/B][/QUOTE]

Not that there are alot of mountains around to be a man in. :rolleyes: Did you mistake us for Swiss, G? They got them Alpes all over the place. :p ;)

ANYHOO, it IS a good tip, and should be taken seriously. muahahaha

Got StuG?

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 89
A well know tip: - 7/22/2002 2:54:40 PM   
Curieus

Famous is: Friendly Fire Isn't but did you know its corrolary (sp?) Incoming Fire Has The Right Of Way Ignore it at your own risk, you might cause an accident ;)

(in reply to Goblin)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SPWaW Thread Hall of Fame >> Re: Simpleton Tip #24 Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI