Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Love the game, but two criticisms

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Love the game, but two criticisms Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Love the game, but two criticisms - 4/29/2010 4:06:15 PM   
Raengrey

As the subject says, I'm loving the game the more I discover about it, but:

I really find the UI unintuitive and that it needlessly increases the learning curve. By haunting this forum I've discovered numerous things you can do which I didn't think you could. Which actually points to another flaw: the documentation could be a lot better. For example there's no explanation (that I could find) of the colony window on the main map. Took me a while to figure out what the little notes meant, as an example.

Secondly, I'm sorry, but I really dislike the music. I find it overly dissonant and intrusive. For a space game, I want wafting background music, not music that constantly sounds like there's a battle going on.

Just an IMO. Otherwise, the game is great.
Post #: 1
RE: Love the game, but two criticisms - 4/29/2010 4:18:49 PM   
BlackAlpha

quote:

ORIGINAL: Raengrey

As the subject says, I'm loving the game the more I discover about it, but:

I really find the UI unintuitive and that it needlessly increases the learning curve. By haunting this forum I've discovered numerous things you can do which I didn't think you could. Which actually points to another flaw: the documentation could be a lot better. For example there's no explanation (that I could find) of the colony window on the main map. Took me a while to figure out what the little notes meant, as an example.

Secondly, I'm sorry, but I really dislike the music. I find it overly dissonant and intrusive. For a space game, I want wafting background music, not music that constantly sounds like there's a battle going on.

Just an IMO. Otherwise, the game is great.

I agree with the music part. It's good music but completely out of place. I used to turn the music off because in my opinion the original music totally kills the mood. Now I use my own. Anyway, maybe they first wanted to include dynamic music but later decided not to.

If you want you can use your own music. Go to the Distant Worlds main folder, then go to the customization folder. In there create a new folder with any name you want. Inside that new folder create a folder called Music. Put .mp3 files inside the music folder, it doesn't matter what name the .mp3 files got. Start up your game and launch the new mod you've just created through the main menu. During the game it will randomly pick a .mp3 file and play it.

Go to this page and download the customization guide if you need more info about creating mods.

< Message edited by BlackAlpha -- 4/29/2010 4:33:12 PM >

(in reply to Raengrey)
Post #: 2
RE: Love the game, but two criticisms - 4/29/2010 4:30:05 PM   
HsojVvad

I really like the music except for one song wich gets on my nerves LOL. Then again when it comes to music we all have different tastes. Some like Rock, some like pop, while others like Dance and some Rap, classical, Heavy Metal, Thrash, etc etc.

I think they did a great job for the music, but then again, it's all difference of opnion. I agree, I wish we had more documentation though. At least the fourms are great and we can learn from the forums.

(in reply to BlackAlpha)
Post #: 3
RE: Love the game, but two criticisms - 4/29/2010 4:32:04 PM   
Bartje

Perhaps if we assemble a nice track of free music that is allowed to be used in commercial products Erik would be willing to include it in an update?

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 4
RE: Love the game, but two criticisms - 4/29/2010 4:33:02 PM   
lordxorn

Yeah I actually liked the music, but the best thing is you can drop any mp3 file you want in your music folder and everyone can have music from their own library. Which brings me to my next point, there is a great music post in the mod section that points you to Earth Infinity and Beyond which has great user made spacey music.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 5
RE: Love the game, but two criticisms - 4/29/2010 5:22:35 PM   
HsojVvad

CodeForce made it really easy for us to put in what ever music you want. So there is really no excuse for not liking the music being played. You don't like it, remove it and put in something else you would like to hear. I forgot about the music post in the mod section. It is really good.

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 6
RE: Love the game, but two criticisms - 4/29/2010 6:16:22 PM   
Raengrey

Thanks for pointing out that music mod. I had been looking for (free) mp3s to use instead of the ones provided, but hadn't been able to find any that I really felt were appropriate. The music in that mod is very nice, though.

And yes, this forum is a very good resource to make up for any lack in the documentation.

Thanks all.

(in reply to HsojVvad)
Post #: 7
RE: Love the game, but two criticisms - 4/29/2010 6:58:59 PM   
drillerman

Just delete the crappy music that with it and add your own .

Huh?

(in reply to Raengrey)
Post #: 8
RE: Love the game, but two criticisms - 4/29/2010 8:46:53 PM   
lostsm

or you can just lower the music volume and play your music as you normally would..

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 9
RE: Love the game, but two criticisms - 4/29/2010 11:56:08 PM   
Webbco

I've never understood why so many gamers like awful, tacky dance/trance music when playing games. I realise it's a very subjective topic, it's just painful to my earholes when stumbling upon people's gameplay youtube clips with this music added over the top. 

(in reply to lostsm)
Post #: 10
RE: Love the game, but two criticisms - 4/30/2010 2:13:48 AM   
Fishman

That is because most people, by and large, have horrible taste in music.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 11
RE: Love the game, but two criticisms - 4/30/2010 3:39:39 AM   
Razz1

That;s why they watch American Idol.

They think those people can sing.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 12
RE: Love the game, but two criticisms - 4/30/2010 3:40:30 AM   
lostsm

i like to disco while i glass bugs

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 13
RE: Love the game, but two criticisms - 4/30/2010 9:39:51 AM   
Webbco

I listened to enya the whole time whilst playing Doom 3 which made for an interesting experience. Can't say I listen to enya all the time though, just to clear that up!

(in reply to lostsm)
Post #: 14
RE: Love the game, but two criticisms - 4/30/2010 11:21:15 AM   
Raengrey

Just to be clear, I wasn't advocating "awful, tacky dance/trance music" as a replacement for the game's original music. I'm not even real clear what "awful, tacky dance/trance music" is.

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 15
RE: Love the game, but two criticisms - 4/30/2010 12:41:51 PM   
dude

My music selection for my custom theme included the perfect music for any space game... the sound track to Star Wars...  (minus the Cantina track, it just doesn't fit when a space battle is raging...).  I then tossed in a couple tracks from ESB (gotta have Vader's theme in there of course...), plus the track "Battle" from Gladiator, Conan's main theme, and a few tracks from Raiders of the Lost Ark and Lord of the Rings...

“Ifs defeated the Confederates…” U.S.Grant

(in reply to Raengrey)
Post #: 16
RE: Love the game, but two criticisms - 4/30/2010 2:17:38 PM   
deanco2

4X space games: Finally, a reason for ambient music to exist.

(in reply to dude)
Post #: 17
RE: Love the game, but two criticisms - 4/30/2010 2:23:43 PM   
HsojVvad

Maybe we should have a song, when Construction ships are selected we get "BoB the builder, can he fix it? BoB the builder Yes He Can!"

Or in the diplomacy screen "I love you, You love me, lets go play with Barney!" hehe.

Oh the options are endless.

(in reply to deanco2)
Post #: 18
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Love the game, but two criticisms Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI