Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: THE THREAD!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD! Page: <<   < prev  771 772 [773] 774 775   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 1:59:48 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

quote:

ORIGINAL: gladiatt

Well, gentlemens, AAR is update with all my shame, and it is now late, and i should really, you know, get some sleep .

Martin, i hope you will heal quickly, and that Clare and Josh are well
Steve, how goes translation in remote USA ?
Mynok, hope french lessons are OK;
Mike, good hockey season ?

Others Threadster buddys, i didn't forget you, but i just don't know what to ask .
Hope all my friends here goes well.

Quite well. In seven days the packers come, four days later the movers. The following week we start packing the truck ,that we are moving all the stuff that we don't want the movers to get their hands on. (my wife's jewelry, my tools, my gun collection and our wine collection, plus other booze , etc, etc) . I was joking with my wife today saying that this requires as much planning as an amphibious invasion....should I do a AAR? I could call it "The invasion of Omaha (no beach) " or "The Evacuation of Washington".

As per my charge, gaijin, I will have His Majesty's Imperial Japanese first turn for you about the time of your departure. Safe travels...

Is there a stipulation that he cannot do turn 2 north of the Mason-Dixon line?

Nope. I'm starting there. And have been there for three years. I'm invading the North!

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 23161
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 2:00:55 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

Guys (anyone with a naval inclination),

Best I have been able to find, the terms larboard and starboard are etymologically decended from old English backboard and steerboard respectively, supposedly referring to the days when ships were steered by an oar on the right side of the ship. Does anyone know of different meanings? And how did "port" come about?

Also, is it true that the order to "port your helm" means turn right?

Rumor has it that they stored the booze on the left side. And port sounds much classier than "turn rum!".

Post #: 23162
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 2:14:16 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Yep. I just don't have the costume. Next time I return to the DC area I want to join the USN 1812 group aboard Constellation in Baltimore!

And congratualations with 10,000! Now , is it time to break down , buy the bloody game , and start doing PBEM'S!

I'm still gun shy. First, because of the learning curve. AE has A LOT of features vanilla did not have not to mention quite a few diametric changes from vanilla. And lets be frank here, I didnt spend too much time learning the finer points of vanilla either. And second, I'm afraid of making the commitment of time and effort to a PBEM.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 23163
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 2:16:15 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Nope. I'm starting there. And have been there for three years. I'm invading the North!

Heh. Didnt realize it went thought the northern border of MD until I looked it up just now. Should have guessed though, MD was a slave state IIRC.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 23164
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 2:16:54 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

Best I have been able to find, the terms larboard and starboard are etymologically decended from old English backboard and steerboard respectively, supposedly referring to the days when ships were steered by an oar on the right side of the ship. Does anyone know of different meanings? And how did "port" come about?

Rumor has it that they stored the booze on the left side. And port sounds much classier than "turn rum!".

You lost me.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 23165
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 2:22:23 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

Yep. I just don't have the costume. Next time I return to the DC area I want to join the USN 1812 group aboard Constellation in Baltimore!

And congratualations with 10,000! Now , is it time to break down , buy the bloody game , and start doing PBEM'S!

I'm still gun shy. First, because of the learning curve. AE has A LOT of features vanilla did not have not to mention quite a few diametric changes from vanilla. And lets be frank here, I didnt spend too much time learning the finer points of vanilla either. And second, I'm afraid of making the commitment of time and effort to a PBEM.

Committment shy? For God sakes Yuri, it's a game , not a marriage! What do you think, if you miss a turn or take a day off, your opponent is going to hunt you down and hurt you? If so , then your playing the wrong people. Did I ever come accross that way? Was I that bad when we had our turns? If so, I'm really, really sorry. I personally , am a big fan of no-pressure games, as I think most of my opponets will testify (I hope).

Post #: 23166
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 2:23:06 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

Heh. Didnt realize it went thought the northern border of MD until I looked it up just now. Should have guessed though, MD was a slave state IIRC.

So was Virginia and DC.

Post #: 23167
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 2:24:39 AM   
AW1Steve

quote:

quote:

quote:

You lost me.

1) sailors always find the booze. So you tell the helmsman , "turn to rum". Port sounds classier than rum. So you tell the helmsman "turn to port"

Post #: 23168
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 3:02:10 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

Committment shy? For God sakes Yuri, it's a game , not a marriage! What do you think, if you miss a turn or take a day off, your opponent is going to hunt you down and hurt you? If so , then your playing the wrong people. Did I ever come accross that way? Was I that bad when we had our turns? If so, I'm really, really sorry. I personally , am a big fan of no-pressure games, as I think most of my opponets will testify (I hope).

Goodness no. But I feel guilty when I come home and dont want to be bothered with a turn.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 23169
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 3:03:02 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

So was Virginia and DC.

Well VA goes without saying. But I thought DC was an "exception" in MD territory.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 23170
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 3:03:36 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

You lost me.

1) sailors always find the booze. So you tell the helmsman , "turn to rum". Port sounds classier than rum. So you tell the helmsman "turn to port"

So starboard is away from the booze?

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 23171
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 3:04:04 AM   
USSAmerica

quote:

Well, gentlemens, AAR is update with all my shame, and it is now late, and i should really, you know, get some sleep .

Others Threadster buddys, i didn't forget you, but i just don't know what to ask .

The first round of tryouts for next season went well this past weekend, but our son didn't make the cut. Next round is in 4 weeks.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to gladiatt)
Post #: 23172
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 3:08:57 AM   
USSAmerica

Good evening and good night - Tithes. 

Mike

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 23173
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 3:09:00 AM   
BrucePowers

What do you mean didn't make the cut? For crying out loud its kids hockey, not the NCAA or NHL. All should play who want to.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 23174
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 3:11:55 AM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

What do you mean didn't make the cut? For crying out loud its kids hockey, not the NCAA or NHL. All should play who want to.

Not on the AAA level travel team that will be going to tournaments in Chicago, Providence, RI, Phily, Florida, and New Jersey, plus many, many weekends spent from Atlanta to DC and everywhere in between. He was one of 10 goalies trying out for 2 spots on this team.

This is the top level peewee age team in the region. Those that don't make that team mostly move onto the AA tryouts in early June. There are two teams at that level in our area, so hopefully there will be a spot waiting for him. If not, single A tryouts are in August.

There are tons of local "house" teams for everyone who wants to play hockey. They are the equivalent of Little League baseball.

< Message edited by USS America -- 5/5/2010 3:13:06 AM >

Mike

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 23175
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 3:20:27 AM   
BrucePowers

Okay. I'll shut up now.......

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 23176
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 4:38:20 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

quote:

quote:

No, I'm going to back the commie mouse on this one. Assumption of a PBEM is akin to a proposal (and acceptance) of marriage with this game. It takes regular commitment to the relationship, the execution of the deal takes years of real time and you've got to choose your partners very very carefully, lest they bring you a virus or disappear on you. There's substantial time and effort commitment to a CG PBEM in AE, unlike any I've seen before.

That being said, gaijin, the Emilys *are* waiting for you and will make their presence known in short order. I recommend retreat to the Southern Island of New Zealand and Aukland forthwith. Furthermore, Port Stanley should be your hub du jour for any movements into *my* ocean from this point forth.

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 23177
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 5:34:41 AM   
Terminus

Another sunny but cold morning tithe...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 23178
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 7:02:38 AM   
bradfordkay

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Quite well. In seven days the packers come, four days later the movers. The following week we start packing the truck ,that we are moving all the stuff that we don't want the movers to get their hands on. (my wife's jewelry, my tools, my gun collection and our wine collection, plus other booze , etc, etc) . I was joking with my wife today saying that this requires as much planning as an amphibious invasion....should I do a AAR? I could call it "The invasion of Omaha (no beach) " or "The Evacuation of Washington".

Didnt know you were a War of 1812 reenactor.

I remember being very disappointed when I learned that the ship in Baltimore is not the "Yankee Racehorse". I first visited her when I was about nine years old and became a big fan. I used to love to play her battles in both Frigates! and Wooden Ships and Iron Men (not to mention Age of Sail on the computer - but that was after I learned the awful truth...).

Oh, and the Mason-Dixon Line is most definitely the Maryland/Pennsylvania border. Maryland was considered to be a Southern state until the late unpleasantness.

fair winds,
Brad

(in reply to AW1Steve)
Post #: 23179
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 8:03:05 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

Good morning!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to bradfordkay)
Post #: 23180
RE: THE THREAD!!! - 5/5/2010 8:05:05 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Congrats thread brother Onime!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

Post #: 23181
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 8:27:41 AM   
comte

quote:

Congrats on making it to the big leagues

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

-Machiavelli, Il Principe, Book III-

Post #: 23182
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 8:31:33 AM   
comte

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

65 years ago this evening, German forces in the Netherlands, Northwestern Germany and Denmark surrendered to Field Marshal Montgomery's 21st Army Group.

The 24 hours that followed would be more bloody than any days of the preceeding 5 years of occupation, as the Danish resistance movement, along with the Danish army-in-exile returning from Sweden, fought running battles with die-hard Nazis and traitors.

< Message edited by Aces8 -- 5/5/2010 7:05:47 PM >

But when Territories are acquired in regions where there are differences in language, customs, and laws then great good fortune and much hard work are required to hold them.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 23183
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 8:35:24 AM   
comte

Good Morning guys

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 23184
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 8:35:55 AM   
sprior

Morning men

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 23185
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 8:43:25 AM   
Grollub

Mornin' gents.

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 23186
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 10:01:58 AM   
sprior

My head hurts

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Grollub)
Post #: 23187
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 10:16:39 AM   
comte

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

My head hurts

Happy Birthday

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 23188
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 10:44:23 AM   
sprior

Thanks!

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to comte)
Post #: 23189
RE: THE THREAD! - 5/5/2010 11:04:30 AM   
USSAmerica

Ah, we have a birthday boy among us today.  

Happy Brithday, Simon! 

Mike

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 23190
Page:   <<   < prev  771 772 [773] 774 775   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> RE: THE THREAD! Page: <<   < prev  771 772 [773] 774 775   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI