Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 4/30/2010 4:37:54 PM   
lordxorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nibelung44

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

@Nibelung44, there should be a file called, 'shipNames.txt' in the main DW directory. As far as I know, you copy that into your customization folder (Distant Worlds/customization/Star Wars). That means that the ship names are used for all civs. It's a limitation of the game at the moment that hopefully should be sorted soon. That's unless I'm wrong and someone has found a way to create race specific ship names.

@lordxorn, awesome work. Don't mean to be a nitpicker, but isn't the Death Star upside down? That's if it has a 'this side up' label somewhere.

Yeah there is nothing in the file to differentiate between races, however I never notice what the AI uses for it's ships name so it not that big a deal.

Ok, thanks ... so let me see if I get things right:

in DW, you can have specific ship names per ship class, but it is common to all races.

In SE, you have specific ship names per race, but it is common to all ship classes (of this race).

Well, I'll then utter a big **sigh**. When will the developers look at what the others devs did, and improve upon that

(in reply to Nibelung44)
Post #: 61
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 4/30/2010 9:22:17 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: lordxorn

So to answer your question since it was like a capital, DW rotates the Deathstar.

Thanks, that makes sense now. Didn't realize that! I can just imagine the emperor upon seeing his new deathstar.

'Excellent, lordxorn, you have now completed this fully armed and operational battlestat.. what the *@/$ !!!??? It's *@~/ing upside down you @&*?@ing moron!!'

Attachment (1)

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 62
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 4/30/2010 9:41:23 PM   
2guncohen

well actualy in space everything is motionless.
So the death star could be upside down!!!

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 63
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 4/30/2010 10:31:39 PM   
Igard

^^ Know-it-all.

I wonder if it might look good to use a strictly top down view of the Death Star. It might not look as recognisable though...

(in reply to 2guncohen)
Post #: 64
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/1/2010 7:13:07 AM   
lordxorn

quote:

quote:

So to answer your question since it was like a capital, DW rotates the Deathstar.

Thanks, that makes sense now. Didn't realize that! I can just imagine the emperor upon seeing his new deathstar.

'Excellent, lordxorn, you have now completed this fully armed and operational battlestat.. what the *@/$ !!!??? It's *@~/ing upside down you @&*?@ing moron!!'

ROFL

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 65
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/1/2010 5:28:02 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2guncohen

quote:

@ 2guncohen, I love Admiral Thrawn!! There can't be many pics of him that aren't cartoony out there. Your avatar image would work pretty well too.

Well im working slowly (when i have some spare time ) to build upp some Images who could fitt in the game.
Once it is done, im going to mail them upp to lordxorn With the question to add them as optional pictures

Might be interesting to add the Chiss as their own seperate race as well...you get billions of Thrawns.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to 2guncohen)
Post #: 66
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/1/2010 5:32:56 PM   
Shark7

quote:

quote:

'
Followed shortly by the sounds of 'BZZZZZZZZT!' as blue-white lightning bursts forth from his finger-tips.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 67
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/2/2010 7:47:08 PM   
Nibelung44

I just realized that many shipsets have been done for Space Empire V by modders, and some can be converted very easily in DW format. There is for example a good rebel shipset...

And also a nice photo of the Emperor, in another one:

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 68
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/3/2010 5:30:23 AM   
Tophat1815

Can you give a quick "How To" on the conversion from SE V? Numerous shipsets I'd love to grab including B5 sets.

(in reply to Nibelung44)
Post #: 69
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/3/2010 8:53:19 AM   
Nibelung44

Here is the shipset "Alliance14" in Space Empire V format ... I'll try to find sometime to convert it in some days, but if the Original Poster want to make the move, he is welcome (work keeps me so busy except in rare cases).

http://www.mediafire.com/?jiywj41qnwm

(5.3 mb)

This is very easy actually, the SE5 shipsets have a top down view called inv portrait, which is generally with a black background. All you have to do is use a magic wand in your paint program to select the ship, then you 'cut' and you are left with the ship without background. Save under a DW name, like cruiser.png and this is done!

Example, this Rebel ship is in on a pure black background. You can make it into a DW ship in 7 seconds chrono :)

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 70
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/3/2010 12:38:01 PM   
2guncohen

@Nibelung-44

The idea of using renders is very nice. *thumbs upp*
But the model u used as an example is a litle yukkie

Btw: I found a gorgeous render : http://fractalsponge.net/ISD/gallery/ortho.jpg *drools*

(in reply to Nibelung44)
Post #: 71
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/3/2010 1:04:40 PM   
drillerman

did this quick, frigate size but can be made bigger.

Attachment (1)

Huh?

(in reply to 2guncohen)
Post #: 72
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/3/2010 1:18:04 PM   
Nibelung44

Some are better than others, but the good thing is that many shipsets have been made for SE5and all have a top down version of each ship.

Here is another one, a render for a Rebel freighter. It looks really ok for me in quality. The back is pure black, it can be DWized in just a matter of seconds...

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 73
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/3/2010 2:46:55 PM   
2guncohen

Nibelung44 that looks sexier

What i think is also a good source for renders is Filefront problem is i dont know how to see it
in compatibel application.

< Message edited by 2guncohen -- 5/3/2010 2:51:30 PM >

(in reply to Nibelung44)
Post #: 74
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/4/2010 12:21:35 AM   
lordxorn

2guncohen that is a nice looking SD, I would maybe remove the shadows to make it more DW friendly, although the shadow down the center is nice.

Also the SEV Rebel ship graphic is not very appealing looking, and that seems to be problem with the rebels. Most of their ships are ugly from the top, even the side sexy looking Nebulon -B frigate. However guys I know you are clamoring for more races, I am determined to stay focused on getting at least the Rebels out, (I like the idea of the Chiss, and thought they may use a mix of Rebel and Empire as an extra star Wars race to add).

So I will try and get the rebels out this weekend if not early next week, I have been busy with work/kids/etc.

Of course the challenge is finding nicely textured top down views of Rebel stuff, which was a challenge with the Empire as 2guncohen noted about their stations. I just dug out my copy of EAW and will see If I can tease anything out of that game.

(in reply to 2guncohen)
Post #: 75
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/4/2010 12:22:48 AM   
lordxorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nibelung44

Some are better than others, but the good thing is that many shipsets have been made for SE5and all have a top down version of each ship.

Here is another one, a render for a Rebel freighter. It looks really ok for me in quality. The back is pure black, it can be DWized in just a matter of seconds...

This one looks good enough to use in game, if you guys find any more nicely textured ships post them here, and I will package them up for use in the Rebel Race release.

(in reply to Nibelung44)
Post #: 76
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/4/2010 12:28:12 AM   
lordxorn

quote:

ORIGINAL: drillerman

did this quick, frigate size but can be made bigger.

That ortho pic is actually the same SD I used in game, just with the shadows removed.

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 77
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/4/2010 12:33:17 AM   
lordxorn

Should I include Ships from the New Republic? They are nice

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 78
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/4/2010 2:30:47 AM   
Igard

quote:

That's a very tough question. I don't know anything about the new republic. It's expanded universe right? I mean it's not canon is it? That Republic SD does look good though. It looks Star Wars.

Here's a thought... Could you do the New republic as a different race? That way we could choose either Rebel Alliance or New Republic when we start a new game. Or we could choose both and have a sort of wacky, mixed timeline game.

My feeling is that I want to play the Rebel Alliance the way I know it. Perhaps if you consider the New Republic as a side project?

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 79
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/4/2010 5:04:08 AM   
lordxorn

quote:

quote:

That's a very tough question. I don't know anything about the new republic. It's expanded universe right? I mean it's not canon is it? That Republic SD does look good though. It looks Star Wars.

Here's a thought... Could you do the New republic as a different race? That way we could choose either Rebel Alliance or New Republic when we start a new game. Or we could choose both and have a sort of wacky, mixed timeline game.

My feeling is that I want to play the Rebel Alliance the way I know it. Perhaps if you consider the New Republic as a side project?

The New Republic is considered part of lore, as the books are sanctioned by George Lucas. I don't know the exact details but any book wanting to be licensed had to agree to Lucas terms, like all the major characters are to be left alone as far as any major plots, and I believe there is a time reserved just after the Battle of Endor that I believe Mr. Lucas wants to finish his Star Wars Film Sagas with.

However after these requirements there have been major developments with the rise and fall of the New Republic and the Jedi Order Luke tries to create. Center piece among these developments are the three children Han and Solo have and the ripples they cause not only in the force and the galaxy.

All very interesting stuff, and definite recommended reads.

That is a great point Igard, that some people may want to play the Rebel Alliance they way they know it from the films 4-6, and have a good idea. It will help fill out the races.

The SEV shipyard website actually provided alot of Rebel Alliance ships (Kudos to Nibelung), however they look subpar. I am going to skin them for DW and release a screen shot and let you guys tell me what you think.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 80
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/4/2010 10:34:18 AM   
2guncohen

Lordxorn, I was wondering if we could not implement the "Hutt Empire" http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hutt_Empire
This race would be ideal for a mercantile feeling.  Problem is "maybe" a lack of ships... But in the lore they had a fleet so maybe maybe we can do a work-around and Modify Some freighters to military purpose ? Change some icons on the hulls ectra... basicly i see it more like a ragtagg fleet.

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/images/features/ships06/playerships/G1-M4-C-Dunelizard_s01.jpg http://swg.stratics.com/content/gallery/images/745_hutt_fighter_light_s01_web.jpg

Furthermore, I noticed in my game as the Imperial Forces  "The private sector"  made some frigate's / Cruisers of the alternative shipset.
Maybe we should consider to add alternative shipsets ? ( I know ships sets are hard to get ) but if someone finds stuff can you add this in the mod ?

Sincere regards 2guncohen

< Message edited by 2guncohen -- 5/4/2010 10:38:17 AM >

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 81
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/4/2010 12:34:29 PM   
Webbco

quote:

The New Republic is considered part of lore, as the books are sanctioned by George Lucas.

After watching that famous review/critique of Episode I and II (www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI), I'm not sure whether to trust Lucas anymore.

However, the ships still look cool lordxorn, I'd be still interested in using them! :)

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 82
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/4/2010 1:08:29 PM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

quote:

The New Republic is considered part of lore, as the books are sanctioned by George Lucas.

After watching that famous review/critique of Episode I and II (www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI), I'm not sure whether to trust Lucas anymore.

However, the ships still look cool lordxorn, I'd be still interested in using them! :)

Couldn't agree more with you Webbco, I don't trust Lucas with anything anymore. However, he didn't write the expanded universe stuff, so it's probably way better than anything he could come up with.

I'll always be grateful to Lucas for creating Star Wars, but I wish he would take a step back and let a talented writer and director take the helm. The prequels will be with us forever, no matter how hard I try to forget them. All I can hope for is that future Star Wars features will bring back the greatness of episodes 4-6. Having said that let's try to avoid stuff like this;-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXcb7VPw59s

(in reply to Webbco)
Post #: 83
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/4/2010 6:21:35 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: 2guncohen

Lordxorn, I was wondering if we could not implement the "Hutt Empire" http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hutt_Empire
This race would be ideal for a mercantile feeling.  Problem is "maybe" a lack of ships... But in the lore they had a fleet so maybe maybe we can do a work-around and Modify Some freighters to military purpose ? Change some icons on the hulls ectra... basicly i see it more like a ragtagg fleet.

http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com/images/features/ships06/playerships/G1-M4-C-Dunelizard_s01.jpg http://swg.stratics.com/content/gallery/images/745_hutt_fighter_light_s01_web.jpg

Furthermore, I noticed in my game as the Imperial Forces  "The private sector"  made some frigate's / Cruisers of the alternative shipset.
Maybe we should consider to add alternative shipsets ? ( I know ships sets are hard to get ) but if someone finds stuff can you add this in the mod ?

Sincere regards 2guncohen

Dreadnaught, Bulk Cruiser, Galleon-class Star Frigate, IPV-1 System Patrol Craft, Quasar Fire-class Bulk Cruiser, Marauder-class Corvette, and Modular Task-Force Cruiser would all be good candidates for the alternate shipsets.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to 2guncohen)
Post #: 84
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/4/2010 6:34:56 PM   
Aurelian

You realize that this is Star Wars Day...

"May the Fourth be with you."

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 85
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/5/2010 3:21:08 PM   
evrik

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

You realize that this is Star Wars Day...

"May the Fourth be with you."

Look out for today. Revenge of the Fifth.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 86
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/6/2010 6:10:03 AM   
lordxorn

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Webbco

quote:

Couldn't agree more with you Webbco, I don't trust Lucas with anything anymore. However, he didn't write the expanded universe stuff, so it's probably way better than anything he could come up with.

I'll always be grateful to Lucas for creating Star Wars, but I wish he would take a step back and let a talented writer and director take the helm. The prequels will be with us forever, no matter how hard I try to forget them. All I can hope for is that future Star Wars features will bring back the greatness of episodes 4-6. Having said that let's try to avoid stuff like this;-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXcb7VPw59s

LOL that is golden, never knew this stuff existed. I always suspected those Rebels were spaced out versions of hippies, lol.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 87
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/6/2010 3:58:41 PM   
Igard

If anyone wants to put themselves through the agony of watching The Star Wars Holiday Special, I recommend the Rifftrax version which you can find with google. Just remember, this stuff is deeply disturbing and may emotionally scar you for life. If you love Star Wars and the prequels were bad enough, then The Star Wars Holiday Special will probably damage you forever.

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 88
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/6/2010 4:34:32 PM   
Shark7

quote:

If anyone wants to put themselves through the agony of watching The Star Wars Holiday Special, I recommend the Rifftrax version which you can find with google. Just remember, this stuff is deeply disturbing and may emotionally scar you for life. If you love Star Wars and the prequels were bad enough, then The Star Wars Holiday Special will probably damage you forever.

The prequels weren't horrible, just really, really cheesy. You definitely didn't miss anything if you skipped them. Although they could have been improved ten fold if Jar-Jar had gotten shot out of an airlock in within the first 10 minutes.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 89
RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview - 5/6/2010 4:50:12 PM   
mbar

The RedLetterMedia critique of the prequels is spot on and funny. "Proto gonist. email me if you want a pizza roll."

Lucas ruined his chance with the prequels and then went back and mucked up 4-6. I don't care what Lucas says. Han shot first!!!

< Message edited by mbar -- 5/6/2010 4:58:16 PM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 90
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [Release]Star Wars! Preview Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI