Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

1.04.5 ships get slower with more engines

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> 1.04.5 ships get slower with more engines Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
1.04.5 ships get slower with more engines - 5/10/2010 10:50:08 PM   
Arnir

I was playing around with the ship designer trying to create a very long range explorer ship. I built what I thought would be a fun "Galaxy" class explorer would be like. I overloaded it with everything and then noticed that it had an acceleration rate of 3.0. Well, that certainly wasn't good enough for my dream ship so I added more engines. The Acceleration was now 2.x. More engines (lots of them) and it was now even less.

How does adding more thrust power reduce acceleration?

I admit, I was adding ludicrous amounts of components, but it was within the max for my spaceyards. It is the base Proton Thruster ZX-3.

Should this be happening? Is there a formula for this that I am missing? I will post a save game.

Save is ArnirAccBug1

edit: After some experimentation, it looks like acceleration slows around the 15th engine added.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Arnir -- 5/10/2010 11:07:47 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: 1.04.5 ships get slower with more engines - 5/11/2010 9:25:39 AM   
exelsiar

i believe the system for this runs on diminishing returns, thus if its already very heavy, then has more engines added, after time the weight added is only just being compensated by the engines, then if more are added you'll end up having it super heavy and will just lose speed.

though at the same time if you've not got enough reactors it seems to have the same effect as you cant power all your engines ^_^ thinking on it, the second one is more likely :P

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 2
RE: 1.04.5 ships get slower with more engines - 5/11/2010 10:23:53 AM   
jam3

There is diminishing returns with adding engines for sure. But there are some messed up calculations going on as well. I posted about not being able to create an exact copy of the default constructor using "add new" and the main numbers messed up are speed, can't get the thing over like 1 2 1 in speed so there is definetly a problem.

(in reply to exelsiar)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support >> 1.04.5 ships get slower with more engines Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI