Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Turn 139

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> RE: Turn 139 Page: <<   < prev  14 15 16 [17] 18   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Turn 139 - 6/1/2010 1:14:57 PM   
Karri

Rivers and flooded marshes is my guess. Also it will take quite some time before the Soviets get the rail line repaired.

(in reply to parzival)
Post #: 481
RE: Turn 139 - 6/1/2010 1:38:28 PM   
Panama

quote:

ORIGINAL: Karri

Rivers and flooded marshes is my guess. Also it will take quite some time before the Soviets get the rail line repaired.

With 264 turns left is time an issue for the Soviet player?

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 482
RE: Turn 139 - 6/1/2010 3:06:56 PM   
Da_Huge_D

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama

quote:

Well, i like the way Fulkerson is motivated to play this now. "Don't let him get Berlin"
Or should he think like "I'm already lost this damn game. **** this. It's not matter where i draw my lines."
IMO Larry's new line in south, is very good choice and that caused big changes for my plans. Not good thing. I was very surprised indeed.

< Message edited by Da_Huge_D -- 6/1/2010 3:07:39 PM >

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 483
RE: Turn 139 - 6/1/2010 4:08:15 PM   
pionier

His pullback is better then last time. But i would've prefered the Donez.

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 484
RE: Turn 139 - 6/1/2010 4:26:44 PM   
Karri

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama

quote:

Think in terms of next Soviet winter offensive.

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 485
RE: Turn 139 - 6/1/2010 5:41:14 PM   
parzival

It would be interesting know that when Larry realized that he is not able to beat the Soviet Union?

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 486
RE: Turn 139 - 6/1/2010 7:24:54 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: parzival
Do u retreat as far as Dniepr? Why?

Um.....I thought I'd straighten my lines so when I do the screengrab of the picture of the front lines it's more or less a straight line from north to south. That, plus I thought I'd better retreat to better defensive positions for the winter Soviet offensive about to begin real soon now. The mud turns are over and I'm posting a picture of the front lines as of the beginning of turn 144.

quote:

It would be interesting know that when Larry realized that he is not able to beat the Soviet Union?

I thought about pulling back about turn 130 or so when I noticed that my HRS squad count was very very low. About 32K assigned. So it kinda made sense for me to pull back somewhat.

Attachment (1)

If we're all created in the image of god then why aren't we all invisible?

(in reply to parzival)
Post #: 487
RE: Turn 139 - 6/1/2010 7:42:52 PM   
Silvanski

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

This post is a movie of my moves from turns 137 through 141. I'm doing a major pull-back.

Not all the way back to Germany I hope

The TOAW Redux Dude

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 488
RE: Turn 139 - 6/2/2010 7:14:06 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Silvanski
Not all the way back to Germany I hope

Nope, not all the way back to Germany....just enough to make my front lines relatively straight from north to south. It fits better into the "front lines" pictures I build for the AARs. Plus I needed some better positions to defend from during the Soviet winter offensive. It took longer to move to the new positions than I thought. My Romanians aren't in their final staging positions YET and they have been moving the longest.

(in reply to Silvanski)
Post #: 489
RE: Turn 139 - 6/2/2010 2:34:35 PM   
parzival

Did u however believe that "Fall Blau" could beat the Soviet Union?

Any plans to try some kind of "elastic defense" i.e. letting the Soviets to attack and then to make counterattacks with mobile reserve? Maybe the only way to save the German front in the long run is to cause very heavy losses to the Soviets by well planned counterattacks against exhausted/overextended Soviet positions.

Post #: 490
RE: Turn 139 - 6/2/2010 2:57:06 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Did u however believe that "Fall Blau" could beat the Soviet Union?

No not at all. I WAS hoping that I could make a breakthrough in his front lines somewhere and create some pockets of Soviet equipment so I could destroy at least a sizable portion of his army(ies) though. When that didn't happen I thought to myself: "whoa, we're in for a long war".

quote:

Any plans to try some kind of "elastic defense" i.e. letting the Soviets to attack and then to make counterattacks with mobile reserve? Maybe the only way to save the German front in the long run is to cause very heavy losses to the Soviets by well planned counterattacks against exhausted/overextended Soviet positions.

Um.......I have about 10 or 12 foot divisions that I can sprinkle along the front lines to act as reserves and of course the Panzers will "rescue" places that get broken but yes and no to the answer to your question. I hadn't really thought about what kind of defense to stage but the elastic defense sounds like a good choice. I've had problems in the past with not having reserves present or with not having enough reserves present along many places in the front lines with the result that the Soviet dude can break my lines and I have no recourse but to retreat. Like in my game with Curt.

(in reply to parzival)
Post #: 491
Turn 145 update! - 6/3/2010 6:03:11 PM   
Da_Huge_D

Okay. I just finished turn 145. I'm advancing now to take back some territories in south, where did Larry made pull-back. Also liberating back some cities
I'm planning to start my second winter-offensive around turn 157-160. I still don't want to reveal my plans yet. But here's map showing my planned advance before starting second winter-offensive:

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 492
RE: Turn 145 update! - 6/4/2010 8:44:10 AM   
Karri

How is the rail repair going in the Soviet end? Is the automatic rail repair enough, or are you having problems extending your supply lines?

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 493
RE: Turn 145 update! - 6/4/2010 4:16:37 PM   
Da_Huge_D

quote:

How is the rail repair going in the Soviet end? Is the automatic rail repair enough, or are you having problems extending your supply lines?

It's going well so far. I don't complain.

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 494
Turn 147 - 6/5/2010 12:10:49 AM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a movie showing the Soviet movements for turns 144 through thru 147:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/3fv2qnzejm5/soviets advance.gif

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 495
RE: Turn 151 - 6/9/2010 1:15:13 PM   
larryfulkerson

Here's a small movie showing the Soviet movements for turns 148 through 151. Dave informs me that he's going to start his winter offensive about turn 156 or so. This game is going to get really interesting here in a few turns. Dave is going to go all out to try to break the German lines and he's so strong in several places that he might succeed. I'm putting small groups of troops at various places behind my lines to act as reserves but who knows....he may break through where I don't have adequate reserves and actually make a major breakthrough. We'll see.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 496
RE: Turn 151 - 6/9/2010 3:26:38 PM   
pionier

156? Then it is in the center or north...

Post #: 497
RE: Turn 151 - 6/9/2010 3:52:49 PM   
Da_Huge_D

quote:

ORIGINAL: pionier

156? Then it is in the center or north...

That's would be right bet i think

(in reply to pionier)
Post #: 498
RE: Turn 151 - 6/10/2010 2:29:38 AM   
larryfulkerson

I think so too.  The Soviet stuff moving in the south would be too tired and worn from moving to be making any serious attacks.  Unless Dave is really serious about heavy losses be damned.  On the other hand, I had just 30K HRS squads in turn 100 and now I have over 44K and climbing again.  I'm in better shape to try to survive the winter offensive in terms of defensive positions too.  I'm thinking this game will go until the middle of '43 at least.  That's approx how long it would take Dave to convince me to quit given the hopeless situation I'm in.  LOL.

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 499
RE: Turn 151 - 6/10/2010 10:34:19 AM   
Karri

What is your frontline and reserve situation like? I am currently playing Axis in another game and I am in mud turns, and I have plenty of infantry divisions in reserve as well as panzer or panzergrenadier division for every 10 hexes or so...and my frontline is longer. 

Post #: 500
RE: Turn 151 - 6/10/2010 1:08:52 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

What is your frontline and reserve situation like?

I think I'm in pretty good shape. My front line isn't as long as it used to be and I have plenty of reserve divisions sprinkled out along the front lines and of course all the Panzers are in reserve too. Bring it on Dave dude.

quote:

I am currently playing Axis in another game and I am in mud turns, and I have plenty of infantry divisions in reserve as well as panzer or panzergrenadier division for every 10 hexes or so...and my frontline is longer. 

Keep us informed as to how your game is going will you?

< Message edited by larryfulkerson -- 6/10/2010 1:09:20 PM >

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 501
RE: Turn 151 - 6/10/2010 2:38:00 PM   
Karri

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=448989&page=5
Ongoing AAR, you need to own a paradox game to read the section it is posted in though...I think.

Post #: 502
Turn 154 - 6/11/2010 8:49:35 PM   
Da_Huge_D

*Drumming* Alright. I think it's time to show some of my second winter-offensive plans. Here's plan for centre, i will launch whole offensive at turn 156.
Because lack of space, i marked only Guards and Shock armies on map. Regular armies are not marked.
So plan is to encircle Smolensk, and continue advancing over Dnepr-river, all the way to Berezina-river. I don't reveal any other details yet. But here's picture. There's also lots of artillery stacked with those guards & shock armies. (Stavka's artillery divisions and some front's artillery brigades) One thing is sure, i have hella lots of steel ready for this offensive. LOL.

< Message edited by Da_Huge_D -- 6/11/2010 8:54:51 PM >

(in reply to Karri)
Post #: 503
RE: Turn 154 - 6/12/2010 11:20:34 AM   
Ribak

Omg, the Soviet hordes stream into Europe

Good luck, fulkerson, you are going to need it.
And a word of respect for da_hughe d: solid defending in the years 41 & 42, now you harvest the fruits of your hard work.

Still loving this AAR

Greets,
Ribak

(in reply to Da_Huge_D)
Post #: 504
RE: Turn 159 - 6/14/2010 2:08:20 PM   
larryfulkerson

Well, Dave has done several turns of his Winter offensive and already, after just three turns of attacking he has rendered dozens of my divisions combat ineffectual.  He's on the verge of breaking through at several points and the worst is yet to come.  I've posted the AAR for turn 159 on my site.  http://65.101.188.183

(in reply to Ribak)
Post #: 505
RE: Turn 162 - 6/20/2010 6:04:29 PM   
larryfulkerson

Dave's Winter offensive is about half-way done and he has come close several times to makeing a really good breakthrough but so far I've been able to plug the holes and contain his push(es). This is a mini-movie showing the movements of the front lines from turns 157 throu 162. Notice the Germans giving up territory in the area around Leningrad and just to the south of there. Dave is pushing the Axis back slowly but so far nothing terribly bad has happened. Knock on wood.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 506
RE: Turn 162 - 6/20/2010 7:10:06 PM   
desert

How are you dealing with that seriously serious Soviet buildup in Finland?

"I would rather he had given me one more division"
- Rommel, when Hitler made him a Field Marshall

Post #: 507
RE: Turn 163 - 6/21/2010 1:25:33 AM   
larryfulkerson

The lakes are frozen over and there's nothing to keep Dave from outflanking me and destroying all those Finn units up there but he so far hasn't moved from the positions they are in now.  I'm not sure what Dave's plans are for Finland and the northern front but so far nothing has been happening at all up there.  I'm thinking of giving up Murmansk and retreating all those units in the north to the Baltic states for defense in the later parts of the game ( '44 or later ).  Dave is close to making a good breakthrough in a couple of places and I keep trying to rail some units north to help out but his interdiction always manages to derail most of the embarked/moving units.  I tried to rail two Panzer divisions in turn 162, for instance, and only two HQ units and one Panzer regiment arrived.  His interdiction is visious.  He's losing planes doing that but he's also building many many more than I am so he still wins in dogfights etc.  I was advised to pull the Axis air force back to safety to await the later part of the game and I haven't rejected that suggestion out of hand, I'm thinkling about it seriously.  On the other hand, letting them battle it out now instead of early '44 makes some morbid sense too.  I'll let you guys know what I decide.  I've posted the front lines for turn 163 on my site:  http://65.101.188.183

(in reply to desert)
Post #: 508
RE: Turn 163 - 6/24/2010 1:01:55 PM   
pionier

Where is your tactical advantange near the crim? Why not make use of flooeded marshes around kherson?

it even makes the frontlines shorter...

Post #: 509
RE: Turn 163 - 6/25/2010 4:40:04 AM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

Where is your tactical advantange near the crim?

I admit there isn't much of one to brag about but I wanted to use the rivers and natural blocking terrains.

quote:

Why not make use of flooeded marshes around kherson?
it even makes the frontlines shorter...

That's a good idea. I'll do it.

(in reply to pionier)
Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  14 15 16 [17] 18   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> After Action Reports >> RE: Turn 139 Page: <<   < prev  14 15 16 [17] 18   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI