Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 5/29/2010 12:20:48 PM   
ComradeP

Jon, what's the primary impact of the really heavy guns in a city battle? Disabling enemy artillery and lowering the effectiveness of the other ground troops through bombardment fatique?

(in reply to Neal_MLC)
Post #: 661
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 5/29/2010 6:28:12 PM   
PyleDriver

Is that a question. Yep thats a question...Please guys...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 662
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 5/30/2010 1:07:54 PM   
ComradeP

If you don't want us to ask questions, don't mention something. If you mention you're bringing heavy guns, you can expect someone to ask what their value is. As tiresome as it is for you to see questions here, it's getting kind of tiresome that we have to ask questions related to what happens in your AAR in the Q&A thread.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 663
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 5/31/2010 7:27:52 AM   
itsjustme

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

If you don't want us to ask questions, don't mention something. If you mention you're bringing heavy guns, you can expect someone to ask what their value is. As tiresome as it is for you to see questions here, it's getting kind of tiresome that we have to ask questions related to what happens in your AAR in the Q&A thread.

Finally someone said it. Totally agree.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 664
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 5/31/2010 7:59:23 AM   
PyleDriver

(DAR) Balck blasted a hole and crossed the Moskva. 2nd PzA pulled up the right very well. 4th army made there stroke NW...I still have alot in store, but it's Monday morning and Steve needs his fix...lol...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 665
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 5/31/2010 12:03:07 PM   
SNorth

There is a second Steve (me) who needed his fix too---Thanks!

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 666
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 5/31/2010 3:13:12 PM   
SGHunt

quote:

ORIGINAL: PyleDriver

2nd PzA pulled up the right very well.

Close but no coconut for 2nd Pz A (or for Hoth for that matter) - that link up was really needed to trap the last major grouping of troops S/SE of Moscow. Next week you will close it off but many of them will surely have legged it away by then?

Still, looking good though, Jon. There's nothing left in front of Hoth at present. Let's see what the Soviets can still whistle up in this, their most dire need. Are you sensing a mighty armoured counter-stroke or is he spent?

Can't wait to see Model's progress towards Hoth. From your last screen shot to the North of Moscow, it seemed as though there were fairly easy routes either North or South of the Uchinskoye V. reservoir, if you simply by-pass those last two big stacks the Russian has left.

It may be that, despite the strong warnings from Hard Sarge et al about attacking in mud, that that is what you will have to do to effect the link up, if you are left with just just one or two hexes between the two armies?

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 667
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 5/31/2010 4:18:27 PM   
PyleDriver

(AAR) Model along with 3rd PzA spanked the front and sent alot of units to the rear. A small pocket was formed...If I only had 2 more weeks of good weather...Yes Stuart I didn't get to close that gap between 4th PzA and 2nd PzA...Hum, well lets see...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 668
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 5/31/2010 5:00:32 PM   
SGHunt

So just eighty miles, one or two rivers, and a lot of routed and aircraft units in between.   Nearly there.

Is it mud next turn or do you still have one turn of good weather?

Looking at the number of routed units on all sides of Moscow, and the way your assaults are rolling out, I sense that the defence is very close to cracking (or it may already have cracked?)

Any way for Kleist (and Armin) to join the party at this key moment?

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 669
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 5/31/2010 5:27:41 PM   
PyleDriver

It's going to have to wait until the frost for this one, I never attack in mud. My railheads are in postion and I should jump off strong in November...

< Message edited by PyleDriver -- 5/31/2010 5:28:32 PM >

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 670
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/1/2010 3:35:17 PM   
PyleDriver

(AAR) Kleist is still on the move. As I said he's rolling the line north. I'm sure he's quite the pest by now. BTW the 502nd Hvy PzB just seen action, they really helped in punching this hole...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 671
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/1/2010 3:44:38 PM   
PyleDriver

Heres the level 4 overview of the action...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 672
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/1/2010 5:32:50 PM   
SGHunt

Another good pocket and the Russians seem to have little left in the locker.   I know, I know - dangerous predictions when talking about Russia, but it does seem that there is simply too much going off everywhere, even down South, for the Russians to be in any position to mass their reserves.   If they can, and they should, it must be behind Moscow, and they must be committed very soon.   Maybe we'll see Hoth's final offensive smash straight into the Russian strategic reserve somewhere East of Moscow, in a kind of icy Prokhorovka?   The 'Battle of Orekhovo Zuevo' perhaps, where the rail line crosses the Klyazma due North of Hoth's leading Pz Korps?    (My spelling is struggling with German and Russian place names, old and new names etc.)

If the weather holds, then Kleist may make the Oka next turn?  Along with another large pocket.  And freeing up more infantry to support the encirclement.   On the other hand, if the Rasputitsa arrives, you have the Russians in that sack to the NW of Ryazan as they presumably will not be able to manoeuvre themselves out.

I'm still convinced that the 3rd Pz A's mobile units, supported by an Inf Korps, should be supporting Model's push East, not trying to cut though to 4th Army.   Model's  thrust is the key to the whole campaign now, surely?  

I understand the need to maintain pressure - you could still use the remaining two infantry Korps to scrap it out (at a fairly high cost, I accept) for a link up with the 4th?  They will at least pin the Russians in place.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 673
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/1/2010 5:36:52 PM   
Neal_MLC

I wonder if Stalin has hightailed it off to the Urals yet?  Yes I realize this is a question

no matter where you go, there you are

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 674
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/1/2010 6:36:08 PM   
SGHunt

BTW is that Armin's 3rd SS Panzergrenadier-Division Totenkopf that is resting to the West of Torshok, or a new Division just in from OKH?  

(in reply to Neal_MLC)
Post #: 675
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/1/2010 8:40:52 PM   
PyleDriver

Tot SS is being recalled to Germany. I hate it but its true. Thus the red border. Next turn it hiper transports out to the west edge of the map...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 676
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/1/2010 8:52:38 PM   
janh

quote:

Tot SS is being recalled to Germany. I hate it but its true. Thus the red border. Next turn it hiper transports out to the west edge of the map...

That's exactly why I don't like the new "transfer model", having removed the fictional fronts and HQ's in West and South Europe. In the strategic situation that yourself presently find you in, not even Hitler would have withdrawn Totenkopf now! And there can probably be not even a doubt about that. This kind of is a bummer now to loose Totenkopf for no reason.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 677
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/1/2010 11:38:11 PM   
Smirfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: janh

quote:

That's exactly why I don't like the new "transfer model", having removed the fictional fronts and HQ's in West and South Europe. In the strategic situation that yourself presently find you in, not even Hitler would have withdrawn Totenkopf now! And there can probably be not even a doubt about that. This kind of is a bummer now to loose Totenkopf for no reason.

Have to agree it seems like the system is bolted on. Divisions went west to rest, refit or defend other fronts. It would be better if the player could decide which units go west for a refit. For the off map fronts i'm not sure what would work best but the Theatre boxes wernt that bad.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 678
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/2/2010 3:11:41 AM   
Naughteous Maximus

quote:

Have to agree it seems like the system is bolted on. Divisions went west to rest, refit or defend other fronts. It would be better if the player could decide which units go west for a refit. For the off map fronts i'm not sure what would work best but the Theatre boxes wernt that bad.

I have to agree with Smirfy, I can't see the logic of divisions being removed from the front historically especially since the campaign in the east won't be fought historically. Too bad there isn't a way to decide whether a unit has a 50/50% of staying or withdrawing like with a dice roll.

< Message edited by Naughteous Maximus -- 6/2/2010 3:22:37 AM >

(in reply to Smirfy)
Post #: 679
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/2/2010 8:08:19 AM   
karonagames

I think Jon would prefer this kind of discussion is held on separate threads, as he is focusing on giving you guys a top quality AAR.

Every alternate history can have fixed and variable parameters, and one of the parameters that is fixed in WITE is that all the other fronts are assumed to run historically. However the reinforcement/withdrawal schedule can be edited before the game starts. This could open a can of worms as you create a whole string of "what ifs" that have to be compensated for in other parts of the game data, such as if SS Totenkopf doesn't go to Italy/France, would Italy/France fall sooner - what would be the impact on production and logistics etc. etc.

There are more than enough variable parameters available to work with in the game mostly focused on Logistics and command and control.

< Message edited by BigAnorak -- 6/2/2010 8:11:08 AM >

It's only a Game

(in reply to Naughteous Maximus)
Post #: 680
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/2/2010 10:13:57 AM   
PyleDriver

(DAR) 4th army and 3rd PzA joined after very hard fighting. This was a must before the rain falls. This will shorten my line this winter so I can group my power...Hoth and Schmidt are poised to roll also...And of course Kleist is lurking...Oh then theres Model, stay tuned...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 681
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/2/2010 5:56:51 PM   
zbig

Please provide a ss of the rail network when you get a chance.

Thank you.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 682
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/2/2010 9:36:13 PM   
Beetle

It looks like the Germans will be having Christmas in Moscow. I hope comrade Stalin is on the train to Gorky. That would make a good song. Instead of last train to Clarkesville, it could be last train to Gorky.

(in reply to zbig)
Post #: 683
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/2/2010 9:39:50 PM   
PyleDriver

(DAR) Hoth and Schmidt opened up, losses were heavy agian, but the postion is beautifull...I have 2 large pockets now...Oh and I have rail repair over the Moskva river now...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by PyleDriver -- 6/2/2010 9:41:05 PM >

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to zbig)
Post #: 684
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/2/2010 10:06:24 PM   
ComradeP

There are still 3 rail lines that supply Moscow, it will be interesting to see whether you can cut them. As I had guessed earlier, the North-East one seems like it will be the final and thus crucial one.

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 685
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/3/2010 9:26:13 PM   
SGHunt

Jon - after those two pockets South of Moscow are reduced, will you be able to redeploy the during the Raputitisa or will this be pretty much the front line for the next 3 or 4 weeks?   If you are able to redeploy, then you are going to be in a very strong position come the frosts.

Two more enormous losses to the Russian OOB (plus Kleist's pocket), and a great position for your two Pz armies, but I remain most concerned to see Model's progress.    Loss of the Tot. must mean a shortening of the line up there (and a greater risk of a counter?)

And still there's no sign of the armour reserves!   What's your air recon. showing you to the NE of Hoth?

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 686
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/3/2010 10:03:43 PM   
PyleDriver

Stuart Im not really sure about the pockets yet. I think I'll starve them for 2 weeks then hit them. The mud makes combat so hard, but I need those units in the rear free for the attack on Moscow...I figure a 6 week attack in November/December then its time for the flex defense...However if I bust it open, I got to jump thru it...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to SGHunt)
Post #: 687
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/3/2010 11:09:55 PM   
PyleDriver

Model expanded his bridgehead lead by Vietinghoff's XXXXVI PzC. I'm just waiting for the frost now...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 688
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/5/2010 5:17:05 AM   
PyleDriver

Alot has been said about Tot SS moving west... Armin's PzC is not going anywhere. Remember his job is to guard Model's flank, and protect this rail junction...

Attachment (1)

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 689
RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR - 6/6/2010 12:20:32 PM   
SGHunt

And with an attack combat value of 13, it brings tears to yer eyes!

Overall, your lines are looking very straight, smart and orderly - although I am unclear why you are defending in front of the river line to the North East of Lake Seliger?

Any chance - now that thoughts of the defence are starting to emerge - that you could post a couple of SS's with the German Defence Values displayed?

Thanks
Stuart

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 690
Page:   <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> After Action Reports >> RE: OKH Plan 1942 - Alpha AAR Page: <<   < prev  21 22 [23] 24 25   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI