Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Orkney Lesser Billed Grebe

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Orkney Lesser Billed Grebe Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Orkney Lesser Billed Grebe - 6/7/2010 2:33:02 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

You 2 seem very interested in the subject.

Yes, I love entomology.

By the way, your fake English accent sounds WAAAAY better than mine.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 961
RE: Orkney Lesser Billed Grebe - 6/7/2010 2:35:18 PM   
sprior

quote:

By the way, your fake English accent sounds WAAAAY better than mine

I've been practising longer

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 962
HOA - 6/7/2010 5:20:15 PM   
Cap Mandrake

So the neighbors are still fighting this battle to keep the property up the street from being subdivided into 8 new homes (a 50% increase for the street). We have pretty much taken it in the shorts with everything we tried. We complained that the intersection at the end of the street was unsufe do to line of sight issues and therefore they couldnt put more homes in. The HOA hired a traffic engineer who agreed with us.....so they made it a right turn only and went ahead with the subdivision plan.

One guy up the street hired two attorneys who went to the BOD meeting for the HOA. Our attorneys complained Roberts Rules of Order weren't being followed for the vote (the chairman made the motion) . Their attorney told our attorneys they didn't need to follow Roberts so just "shut the **** up". Out attorneys called their attorney a "poopy head"....yada yada yada....we lost the vote.

So my neighbor, who is sort of leading the charge and is quite the pit bull, complains they can't put more homes in because the curve at the bottom of the street (the HOA owns the street) is too narrow and isn't up to fire code. The HOA hires the same traffic engineer who agrees the street is not up to code.......so the next day they come out while everybody is at work and paint the curbs this God-awful red color with big letters that read "NO PARKING FIRE LANE"....and they paint right up to his driveway and mine. I haven't the slightest doubt it is retribution because they painted right up to his driveway even though he isn't on the narrow part.

We are marked men and women, all of us. If they find out one of the native oaks fell over in my back yard I will be doing hard time in Leavenworth.

Post #: 963
THCA/A-24/M&M - 6/7/2010 5:48:01 PM   
Cap Mandrake

************ABDA HQ, Soerabaja, Java, March 5, 1942************

Air Boss: Are you absolutely sure we can't keep the A-24's? They are the best anti-shipping platform we have.

Aide: No sir, apparently it comes all the way from the top. They have to be out of here by March 15 or there is a fine of $1000 a day for each aiframe. We even got a nasty letter from some attorneys.

Air Boss: Well, where the Hell are they headed? After all, we are at the center of the action. Where is this vulnerable area to whcih they are to be redeployed?

Aide: <looks at notes> Ummm, look like it says Pitcarin? Pitcarin Island.....

Post #: 964
RE: THCA/A-24/M&M - 6/7/2010 5:54:22 PM   
Cap Mandrake

***********M&M Enterprises, Aviation Services Division, March 6, 1942, Pitcarin Island***********

A small cargo vessel lowers a large wooden crate onto the dock. Stenciled on the side is: "THCA/A-24/M&M #12...Tail Hook Conversion Assemby/A-24..Product of Ecuador, M&M Enterprises, Aircraft Parts Aftermarket Division"

Post #: 965
New Caledo....errr....New Scotland - 6/7/2010 6:58:14 PM   
Cap Mandrake

****************New Scotland, March 5, 1942******************

Naval Sitrep: The Jap carriers disappeared. A half dozen subs patrol the approaches to New Ullapool. Surface combatants at New Edinburgh include only 3 USN DD's. The combined USN/RAN crusier force from Sydney is 2 or 3 days out. There are 15-20 transports and AK's unloading at Noumea.

New Ullapool: 5 x AK's were spotted unloading at New Ullapool. A planned sweep if P-39's and P-400's over New Ullappol was partly successful, even though the P-39's and P-400's became separated. They met an amazing 33 Zeroes in the air. Given the apparent absence of the carriers, they are clearly operating from New Ullapool. It seems as soon as I break some the Japs bring in more (probably from Lunga). Stated losses are at least 2:1 in favor of the Japs but the intel report shows substantially higher zero losses. Of course, these are the same people who told me Akagi was sunk.

An SBD raid wrecks 4 or the 5 Ak's unloading at New Ullapool, but with cumulative losses of 9 SBD's. The USN F4F and SBD squadrons are now at 20-25% strength and will have to be retired for a bit. 2 new squadrons of P-40E's jsut arrived at New Edinburgh. If New Scotland holds, it will have been the USN aircraft that saved the day early on.
The airfield is level four buidling to 5 with 330 air support points and an air HQ.

The Japs are buidling up at La Foa, now about 22,000 combat troops and they have begun to bombard, which means they have supply. I have two US Army Regts at sea about 7-10 days out and another USMC Regt appearing in San Diego in 10 d or so.

Post #: 966
RE: HOA - 6/8/2010 12:43:31 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

So the neighbors are still fighting this battle to keep the property up the street from being subdivided into 8 new homes (a 50% increase for the street). We have pretty much taken it in the shorts with everything we tried. We complained that the intersection at the end of the street was unsufe do to line of sight issues and therefore they couldnt put more homes in. The HOA hired a traffic engineer who agreed with us.....so they made it a right turn only and went ahead with the subdivision plan.

One guy up the street hired two attorneys who went to the BOD meeting for the HOA. Our attorneys complained Roberts Rules of Order weren't being followed for the vote (the chairman made the motion) . Their attorney told our attorneys they didn't need to follow Roberts so just "shut the **** up". Out attorneys called their attorney a "poopy head"....yada yada yada....we lost the vote.

So my neighbor, who is sort of leading the charge and is quite the pit bull, complains they can't put more homes in because the curve at the bottom of the street (the HOA owns the street) is too narrow and isn't up to fire code. The HOA hires the same traffic engineer who agrees the street is not up to code.......so the next day they come out while everybody is at work and paint the curbs this God-awful red color with big letters that read "NO PARKING FIRE LANE"....and they paint right up to his driveway and mine. I haven't the slightest doubt it is retribution because they painted right up to his driveway even though he isn't on the narrow part.

We are marked men and women, all of us. If they find out one of the native oaks fell over in my back yard I will be doing hard time in Leavenworth.

I say its time to lynch all the liberals......or lawyers.....or contractors.....or developers.....whichever turns up first.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 967
RE: THCA/A-24/M&M - 6/8/2010 12:45:38 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

***********M&M Enterprises, Aviation Services Division, March 6, 1942, Pitcarin Island***********

A small cargo vessel lowers a large wooden crate onto the dock. Stenciled on the side is: "THCA/A-24/M&M #12...Tail Hook Conversion Assemby/A-24..Product of Ecuador, M&M Enterprises, Aircraft Parts Aftermarket Division"

Hope blue paint isnt on backorder.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 968
RE: New Caledo....errr....New Scotland - 6/8/2010 12:49:02 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

The Japs are buidling up at La Foa

AHEM!!!!!

Post #: 969
RE: New Caledo....errr....New Scotland - 6/8/2010 1:41:15 AM   
witpqs

Only one possible (legal) course of action remains:

Mandrake for HOA President!

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 970
RE: New Caledo....errr....New Scotland - 6/8/2010 5:52:49 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

The Japs are buidling up at La Foa

AHEM!!!!!

Doh!

Post #: 971
Bolt ons - 6/8/2010 6:11:57 PM   
Cap Mandrake

So Stalker Girl throws this surprise birthday party for me this weekend and my hot neighbor comes over...the one either now divorced or going through it. She is at least part Native American. Why is that germane, you ask? Because she comes over in this flimsy top that makes Disney's Pocahontas look like an amateur. I think we were having a low gravity night because there did seem an unnatural degree of endogenous support if you know what I mean. This is the same neighbor who, a couple of months back, was out getting something out of her Benz dressed as a commando if you get my drift.

Anyway, at the end of the party I am standing there with my brother and brother in law and their wives and my brother asks, "Who is your neighbor?" I was a bit concerned where this was heading but he is a very social guy so I thought it might be harmless.

So I say, "Oh, she's XXXXXXXX. She's getting a divorce."

And my brother in law says, "Oh, those were bolt-ons".

And my brother says, "You think so?"

"Yeah, too high up. Bad job." And they start to discuss the techincal aspects like it was a custom muffler instalation. Meanwhile my sister and sister-in-law are just standing there. And I am thinking to myself, "Holy crap! Are you two retards? Now I know why the keg is empty."

I finally had to just break in and say, "Well, thanks for coming." <fake yawn> Sometimes yeast excrement is dangerous.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 6/8/2010 6:12:37 PM >

Post #: 972
Coordination - 6/8/2010 6:35:28 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Lord High Admiral SPrior VD, Scab, Scar and Bar
Government House
Columbo
Ceylon

My Dearest Spri;

I wanted to apprise of progress in regard to movement of resources for the future SWPAC command. As per your request, USAAF II Fighter Command HQ, which will be attached to SWPAC, has been directed to Sydney. In addition, 4 squadrons of P-40E's and P-39's attached to II Fighter Command are already in transit. A number of engineer and AA units are also in transit.

For your information, our intel folks are now "unable to substantiate" that Akagi was sunk.

On another note, I wonder what your thoughts are in regard to the salvation of Dutch air forces with the eventual fall of southern Java. Your strong position at Ambon would be a good position as would be a built-up Lautem. These would be valuable assets when more capable airframes (like the B-25) are avaialable. We might also be able to establish a small field in the Lesser Sundas to aid evacuation of the shorter legged aircraft.

Warmly;

Mega-Admiral Mandrake
BPOE, PBUH
CIC Green Army Men

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 6/8/2010 6:41:38 PM >

Post #: 973
RE: Bolt ons - 6/8/2010 10:20:46 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

So Stalker Girl throws this surprise birthday party for me this weekend and my hot neighbor comes over...the one either now divorced or going through it. She is at least part Native American. Why is that germane, you ask? Because she comes over in this flimsy top that makes Disney's Pocahontas look like an amateur. I think we were having a low gravity night because there did seem an unnatural degree of endogenous support if you know what I mean. This is the same neighbor who, a couple of months back, was out getting something out of her Benz dressed as a commando if you get my drift.

Anyway, at the end of the party I am standing there with my brother and brother in law and their wives and my brother asks, "Who is your neighbor?" I was a bit concerned where this was heading but he is a very social guy so I thought it might be harmless.

So I say, "Oh, she's XXXXXXXX. She's getting a divorce."

And my brother in law says, "Oh, those were bolt-ons".

And my brother says, "You think so?"

"Yeah, too high up. Bad job." And they start to discuss the techincal aspects like it was a custom muffler instalation. Meanwhile my sister and sister-in-law are just standing there. And I am thinking to myself, "Holy crap! Are you two retards? Now I know why the keg is empty."

I finally had to just break in and say, "Well, thanks for coming." <fake yawn> Sometimes yeast excrement is dangerous.

Yeah. Some people just dont know when to shut up and enjoy the view.

Post #: 974
New Ullapool? - 6/9/2010 3:36:08 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Maybe the clever Allied code scheme has fooled the LYB's...or maybe there really IS a New Ullapool? Or maybe I am confused....nah.

Koumac seems like it ought to be in the second hex down the SW side of New Scotland (at least 35 miles form the NW tip) with no reef (to account for the reef breaks). The reef to the North and NW of the Island looks unbroken for 40-50 miles.

Attachment (1)

Post #: 975
RE: New Caledo....errr....New Scotland - 6/9/2010 3:43:12 AM   
Moondawggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Only one possible (legal) course of action remains:

Mandrake for HOA President!

Don't do it, Cap! Been there, done that. You're much better off simply enjoying the nicely painted red curb, rather than getting elected and then having to sand red paint-ball splatters off the Tuscan Beige-CC&R-approved-colored stucco of your garage while the HOA Architecture and Review Committee critiques the adequacy of your effort.

Instead, I'd just add a simple mixture of fructose and glucose to the fuel inlet of the luxury vehicle driven by the clown who authorized the street modifications and is in favor of subdividing...That usually gets the message across.

Of course, placing the head of a thoroughbred into the bed of one's adversary has also been reported as an effective means of resolving disputes in some Southern California locales---- I think I saw that in a movie once with a guy whose name was similar to a certain Colonel I've read about in your AARs.

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 976
RE: New Ullapool? - 6/9/2010 3:45:13 AM   
Mynok

So with a 60nm hex (about 70 miles), which of those cities do you choose to represent the entire northwestern tip of New Ullapool?

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

Post #: 977
RE: New Caledo....errr....New Scotland - 6/9/2010 5:19:17 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

Don't do it, Cap! Been there, done that. You're much better off simply enjoying the nicely painted red curb, rather than getting elected and then having to sand red paint-ball splatters off the Tuscan Beige-CC&R-approved-colored stucco of your garage while the HOA Architecture and Review Committee critiques the adequacy of your effort.

Agreed. Who wants to be hated....or even taken out? If Hugo Chavez with Imadinnerjacket as VP led a recall effort for the HOA, I would vote for them.

They came out in the middle of the day again today, trampled some of my rosemary and put in an ugly 8 ft tall yellow right turn sign on my side yard.

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 978
RE: New Ullapool? - 6/9/2010 5:19:49 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

So with a 60nm hex (about 70 miles), which of those cities do you choose to represent the entire northwestern tip of New Ullapool?

That was WITP. It is smaller in AE, no?

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 979
RE: New Caledo....errr....New Scotland - 6/9/2010 9:35:01 PM   
witpqs

quote:

They came out in the middle of the day again today, trampled some of my rosemary and put in an ugly 8 ft tall yellow right turn sign on my side yard.

It sounds like you need to have somebody flying CAP, Cap.

Post #: 980
RE: New Ullapool? - 6/10/2010 2:43:46 AM   
Mynok

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

That was WITP. It is smaller in AE, no?

Ah yes....but it's still 40nm.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

Post #: 981
RE: New Ullapool? - 6/10/2010 9:30:07 AM   
sprior

6th March

IJA 5th Division comes ashore at lautem. No pre-invasion bombardment, no recon. I don't think they're expecting to find a bunch of brown-kneed pongoes there. I have no idea how good (or otherwise) the 5th Div is.

They'be all been banyaning recently, must remember to order them back into their fortifications.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 982
RE: New Ullapool? - 6/10/2010 2:33:03 PM   
Mynok

The 5th is probably the best or possibly second to the Imp Guard in the Japanese invasion forces.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 983
RE: New Ullapool? - 6/10/2010 2:39:02 PM   
sprior

Now I feel better.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 984
RE: New Ullapool? - 6/10/2010 6:16:04 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

6th March

IJA 5th Division comes ashore at lautem. No pre-invasion bombardment, no recon. I don't think they're expecting to find a bunch of brown-kneed pongoes there. I have no idea how good (or otherwise) the 5th Div is.

They'be all been banyaning recently, must remember to order them back into their fortifications.

Uggh. 5th Division. With extra rations of Emperor Brand Kool-Aide no doubt.

Cool verb "banyaning". I am guessing that means to loll about in the shade of a big fig tree in a state of blissful torpor....or do you literally intend the botanical meaning of putting down roots which would be true if they were unwisely impregnating local females with pongo genes.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 985
RE: New Ullapool? - 6/10/2010 6:24:44 PM   
sprior

Banyan: An old Naval name for a picnic party, especially nowadays by bus. The word "Banyan" originates from the time when, as an economy, meat was not issued on Mondays, Wednesdays or Fridays: these days were called "Banyan Days" after a religious sect in the East which believed it wicked to eat meat. It became the custom for men to save up portions of their rations to tide them over these meatless days, and also to be sent ashore on those days to gather fruit. Meatless days were discontinued in 1884.

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 986
RE: New Ullapool? - 6/10/2010 6:26:20 PM   
sprior

"unwisely impregnating local females with pongo genes"

What's the downside for the pongo?

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 987
RE: New Ullapool? - 6/10/2010 6:57:37 PM   
Mynok

Angry native husbands?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 988
RE: New Ullapool? - 6/10/2010 6:58:30 PM   
Mynok

quote:

Now I feel better.

You should! It means the fall will be painful but short.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 989
The Formerly Portuguese Timor - 6/10/2010 7:47:30 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

Lord High Admiral Sprior

My Dearest Spri;

As you have doubtless learned, the alarmingly enthusiastic IJA 5th div. are (is..for the Americans) landing at Lautem. I will instruct the A-24's at Ambon to fly at extreme range which means they can just reach the unloading ships at Lautem. Unfortunately, they are beyond escort range for the F4F's we have at Ambon. Accordingly I will instruct a squadron of USAAF fighters to operate from Lautem in the escort/CAP role. With luck, this will offer some protection to incoming bombers. All the B-17's at Darwin will go over to ground attack on Jap 5th Div. The 17's can handle the fighters better and will soak up some of the CAP from the Jap carriers.

In regard to a surface attack, feel free to take any USN DD's as escorts for Warspite if you plan such. I fear intitially Warspite will be overmatched by the two Jap BB's at Lautem. Perhaps she can refuel at sea from some of the many AP or AK's at Darwin and be ready for a night run on the night of 8/9? In the interim, perhaps the A-24's or the subs can nick the Jap BB's. In addition to the surface risk there are the Jap carriers. If Warspite does not make it back under Darwin air cover she will be doomed. Consequently, she will need a good fuel load and as much time as possible. An alternative to running back to Darwin would be to set her home port to Ambon where she could be guarded by the F4F's. Then she could perhaps make it back to Darwin the subsequent day. There might well be fuel issues with this option.

Kill some Japs;

Mega-Admiral Mandrake

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 6/10/2010 7:48:33 PM >

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 990
Page:   <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Orkney Lesser Billed Grebe Page: <<   < prev  31 32 [33] 34 35   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI