Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A question or two

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Across the Dnepr - Second Edition >> A question or two Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A question or two - 6/8/2010 12:54:35 AM   
Zaratoughda

I picked up Korsun Pocket over the holidays... a matter of the low price and the Matrix sale and getting Ardennes Offensive with it and also the Husky and other scenarios from Run5... but I got a couple of questions.

First, in the later releases, was anything done about the 'tiny' hexes??

In KP you can use the Alt key to get a bigger hex size but this only covers a small area and you have to hold down the Alt key continuously or this will go away.

Ideally, I would think one would want a hex size like in KP to look at the overall situation but then click and go to a larger hex size (so you can see what is there better) when making your moves.

My other question... in the new Husky scenario, is it JUST the campaign game there or are smaller scenarios included as well? In the KP Husky scenario, there is a beginner scenario and then Patton's offensive and then the British offensive or you can play the entire campaign.

Thanks,

Zaratoughda
Post #: 1
RE: A question or two - 6/8/2010 10:08:11 AM   
ComradeP

There are no zoom levels, so the hexes are of the same size as in KP.

The Husky scenario covers the entire battle for Sicily.

(in reply to Zaratoughda)
Post #: 2
RE: A question or two - 6/8/2010 9:56:40 PM   
Zaratoughda

Can you at least hold down the ALT key and get the magnifying glass view or was that something that was only available in KP?

In any case, thanks for the information but, looks like there is no reason for me to go beyond KP at least for the forseable future.

Zaratoughda

P.S. For comparison, TOAW has FOUR (!) zoom levels all of which can be used to play the game at. The biggest hex display and the smallest I would rarely use but used the middle two hex sizes frequently. Of course, TOAW has other severe problems, IMO.

< Message edited by Zaratoughda -- 6/8/2010 9:57:43 PM >

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 3
RE: A question or two - 6/9/2010 2:31:44 AM   
Fred98

I was wondering, what size are you're tiny hexes.

For most players, a hex would be 7mm - 10mm wide on their screen.

-

Post #: 4
RE: A question or two - 6/10/2010 8:51:15 PM   
TargAK

The magnifying glass is in the current version of SSG's game engine.

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 5
RE: A question or two - 6/11/2010 2:25:07 AM   
Zaratoughda

My monitor is average size, I would guess. I would imagine things would look better on a larger monitor, but then of course there are the even smaller laptop monitors.

In any case, the number of pixels would remain the same.

The term 'tiny' is not mine, but what was used by another poster, maybe in the KP forums I dunno. SSG impresses me as a fine group and I guess I am really surprised they have not made a larger hex resolution available after all this time. Would make the game system appeal to a lot more players. The magnifying glass is at least something but you can't play the game with that up.

The other problem I have, is I really do not have the time anymore for large scenarios, and there is Korsun Pocket and ATD2 and then the new Husky scenario, and nothing smaller like in the Husky and Veliki Luki scenarios for KP.

Whatever.

Zaratoughda

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 6
RE: A question or two - 6/11/2010 4:46:07 AM   
jjdenver

The size of each hex is going to depend I think on 2 things:

1) Size of your monitor
2) What you set the resolution to (1024x768 or 1280x1024)

For biggest hex size use large monitor and 1024x768.

There is also the "alt" key which I use occasionally to see where a river runs or something like that.

Post #: 7
RE: A question or two - 6/11/2010 5:54:02 AM   
Fred98

Stili, if you're hexes are 10mm wide why would you want them larger?

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 8
RE: A question or two - 6/13/2010 5:01:53 AM   
Zaratoughda

Look..... to be honest your question is absurd. You are arguing with what I have as a personal preference. I have played a LOT of computer wargames and find the hex size in these games as being 'tiny'. If you are happy with it, fine, but trying to tell others that they don't know what they like... is absurd.

Really, the hex size in the original People's Tactics was about the same as the primary hex size that I use in TOAW, and IMO that is about right. But, when People's Tactics got turned into Advanced Tactics: WW2, they increased the hex size and now maybe only half the number of hexes in the display so, the opposite problem there compared to the games here.

More really.... TOAW has FOUR (count em) hex size displays all of which can be used to play the game. Of course, TOAW has OTHER SERIOUS problems with the consensus being that they will never get fixed.

But, with the Alt key in the games here, the tiny hex size is not as big a deal as it might be. I was just surprised that the guys at SSG never turned it into an alternate display for the entire map display instead of just the magnifying glass area.

The bigger problem is I do not have time right now for larger scenarios, so with the newer games essentially being just one large scenario, kinda not my cup of tea right now.

I will admit here that, the game systems in these games are kinda nice. You got the information on the right and then there is the hex display information, etc, etc. Hopefully I will get time to indeed try the Ardennes offensive game as well as Veliki Luki and the rest of the Husky scenarios that I have now.

Zaratoughda

(in reply to Fred98)
Post #: 9
RE: A question or two - 6/14/2010 7:27:32 PM   
jjdenver

FYI there are some smaller user-made scenarios: Konrad, Soltsy, Husky, Prokhorovka

Post #: 10
RE: A question or two - 7/2/2010 11:33:27 PM   
hank

Have we been locked out of the site? I notice the AtD thread does not show info for the latest posts.

??

(in reply to jjdenver)
Post #: 11
RE: A question or two - 7/2/2010 11:36:26 PM   
hank

Well OK, now that I posted the above message, I see it on the base Matrix forum list ... must have been my 'puter. Sorry

(in reply to hank)
Post #: 12
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Across the Dnepr - Second Edition >> A question or two Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI