Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Comparisons to Space Empires and Galatic Civ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Comparisons to Space Empires and Galatic Civ? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Comparisons to Space Empires and Galatic Civ? - 6/11/2010 6:49:13 PM   
Jorune2112

Gal Civ 2 actually did it better than the rest, I felt. You only had a limited amount of spots to put buildings. Not like Moo2 or any of the Civ games where you could buy all the buildings for each city.

But I could see with the size of your empire that it could get a bit absurd. But the ability to at least research and designate certain planets as, say, a mining planet, a shipyard building planet, a science planet, etc. Something that gives you a bonus to your empire from that planet and gives the planet some personality would be great. I know certain planets have goods on them that makes you want that planet, but I would like the opportunity to give my planets 'specialized' roles in my empire.

But I want something to do other than 'wage war'. Here's an example. In Civ 4, I chose the French (bonus to culture). I than researched tech upgrades that allowed me to get culture bonus' and built buildings in those cities to do the same. My neighbor had enough of me 'taking' his cities by cultural means (my culture border expands and any city in my border comes under my control). He waged a war I couldn't win. I got to the point that on the very next turn, he was going to take my capital city, Paris. Than the game ended and I saw the victory screen. It turned out that 3 of my cities had reached meg cultural status (I forget the correct terminology), and I won.

In gal Civ 2 I had a game where, as the humans (diplomatic bonus), I achieved a diplomatic victory by making alliances with I think it was three quarters of the galaxy, despite on the verge of losing a war with some enemy.

I just want different ways to win besides galactic domination.

And does Distant Worlds even have an espionage system?
jorune

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 31
RE: Comparisons to Space Empires and Galatic Civ? - 6/11/2010 7:24:43 PM   
WoodMan

DW is not all about war, it's a real shame they don't have a demo so you could see for yourself.  The victory conditions are quite simple, there is one where you have to own a certain % of the territory in the galaxy, one where your private sector has to constitute a certain % of the galaxy total and one where you have to control a certain % of the population.  You get to choose the % for each of those and which conditions you want enabled.  Or you can play with a time limit when at time-up the greatest Empire in Strategic Value wins (but I don't know what that means).   I play in Sandbox mode myself, no victory conditions a never-ending game.

The espionage system is pretty stadard to this kind of game, you can steal maps, incite rebellion or revolution, sabotage construction, steal technology, put in a spy for the long term to see their Empire.  Also you can secretly pay Pirates to attack your enemies but if they find out your Empires reputation takes a hit.

I know it sounds like I'm defending the game a lot, but I really think it deserves a good reputation.  From a technical point of view its not the best I've played, but it has massive scale and is very relaxing which is the kind of game I like.  It's real-time but this is more like Gal Civ (in fact slower than Gal-Civ) than it is Soase.

(in reply to Jorune2112)
Post #: 32
RE: Comparisons to Space Empires and Galatic Civ? - 6/11/2010 8:48:22 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

DW is not all about war, it's a real shame they don't have a demo so you could see for yourself.  The victory conditions are quite simple, there is one where you have to own a certain % of the territory in the galaxy, one where your private sector has to constitute a certain % of the galaxy total and one where you have to control a certain % of the population.  You get to choose the % for each of those and which conditions you want enabled.  Or you can play with a time limit when at time-up the greatest Empire in Strategic Value wins (but I don't know what that means).   I play in Sandbox mode myself, no victory conditions a never-ending game.

The espionage system is pretty stadard to this kind of game, you can steal maps, incite rebellion or revolution, sabotage construction, steal technology, put in a spy for the long term to see their Empire.  Also you can secretly pay Pirates to attack your enemies but if they find out your Empires reputation takes a hit.

I know it sounds like I'm defending the game a lot, but I really think it deserves a good reputation.  From a technical point of view its not the best I've played, but it has massive scale and is very relaxing which is the kind of game I like.  It's real-time but this is more like Gal Civ (in fact slower than Gal-Civ) than it is Soase.

Sandbox mode rocks. There is no set victory, no time limit, you play to suit yourself and you win when you decide you win. In sandbox mode you could play a never ending game doing nothing but diplomacy and espionage or fighting pirates...granted, I tend to play to a point where I can be the evil, nasty go conquer the entire galaxy tin-pot despot and consider the game won when I have made every inhabitable planet in the galaxy part of my evil empire, but that is the beauty of sandbox mode, I can do just that.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 33
RE: Comparisons to Space Empires and Galatic Civ? - 6/11/2010 10:07:33 PM   
WoodMan

lol Shark, you play the dead opposite way to me, I guess that shows the game has some versatility.

I try to keep my Empires reputation as high as possible, I don't declare war on anyone unless I have been provoked into doing so, I don't invade independent colonies that won't willingly join my Empire through colonization, I don't let ships die needlessly, especially civilian ships, and especially Colony ships, I lost one the other evening and felt that a major failure of my government, to let 10 million innocent people die Oh and those Pirates, I'll never form an Alliance with that dispicable bunch, although I may occasionally pay them protection.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 34
RE: Comparisons to Space Empires and Galatic Civ? - 6/12/2010 3:23:54 AM   
the1sean

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorune2112

But I want something to do other than 'wage war'...

I just want different ways to win besides galactic domination.

And does Distant Worlds even have an espionage system?

I find the great economic detail in DW very refreshing, and controlling vital resources is very important. As has been stated there are 3 possible victory conditions, and you can customize them however you want. The espionage system is good; it doesnt require tons of micro management to be effective, and is solid in that it influences overall balance of power but isnt so powerful that it undermines the importance of other skills like economics, politics, and war.

(in reply to Jorune2112)
Post #: 35
RE: Comparisons to Space Empires and Galatic Civ? - 6/12/2010 9:25:01 AM   
taltamir

I hate all the BS "multiple victory conditions" thing...

Victory is achieved when you crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

"ooh, I achieved "peaceful" victory... flowers and dope for everyone" just doesn't cut it with me...

Anyways... DW does allow multiple victory conditions (I turn all of them off, for me victory is when I conquer the last enemy planet). And DW does have an espionage system (although it needs some work)

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 36
RE: Comparisons to Space Empires and Galatic Civ? - 6/12/2010 3:39:55 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

lol Shark, you play the dead opposite way to me, I guess that shows the game has some versatility.

I try to keep my Empires reputation as high as possible, I don't declare war on anyone unless I have been provoked into doing so, I don't invade independent colonies that won't willingly join my Empire through colonization, I don't let ships die needlessly, especially civilian ships, and especially Colony ships, I lost one the other evening and felt that a major failure of my government, to let 10 million innocent people die Oh and those Pirates, I'll never form an Alliance with that dispicable bunch, although I may occasionally pay them protection.

Hehe, I'm nasty, but my rep is usually satisfactory. I trick the other empires into declaring war on me so they take the reputation hit, not me. So not only am I nasty and evil, I make effective use of subterfuge.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 37
RE: Comparisons to Space Empires and Galatic Civ? - 6/12/2010 3:41:29 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

Victory is achieved when you crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.

"ooh, I achieved "peaceful" victory... flowers and dope for everyone" just doesn't cut it with me...

Anyways... DW does allow multiple victory conditions (I turn all of them off, for me victory is when I conquer the last enemy planet). And DW does have an espionage system (although it needs some work)

Not into the whole 'flower power' hippie movement are we?

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 38
RE: Comparisons to Space Empires and Galatic Civ? - 6/12/2010 4:05:17 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir

Not into the whole 'flower power' hippie movement are we?

Whoa man! How did you know? You must be psychic or something! ;p

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 39
RE: Comparisons to Space Empires and Galatic Civ? - 6/12/2010 7:22:24 PM   
jam3

Galciv 2 was a great game but its main problem was its broken econ system where you were balancing taxes, research, and building maintenance all with a slider system that left you smacking your head trying to figure out what was going on. All galciv2 needed was a straight forward civ type economy and would have made it 10x a better game.

DW is a great game in alot of respects, especially in how it scales and models solar systems and the map. Combat and ship design are passable but again the tech tree could just have easily been called "engineering" because is almost completly applied science directly leading to ship components. Even within the context of the game they could have added bonuses to diplomacy, espionage, and economy(lower corruption maybe) through tech and to me thats one of the real misses on the design of the game in its current state. Adding more planetary focus, namely buildings, would be interesting.

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 40
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Comparisons to Space Empires and Galatic Civ? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI