Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Storm over the Pacific >> After Action Reports >> The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 3:44:02 AM   
gwgardner

or ... how Japan invited six great world Empires to join the Greater Co-Prosperity Sphere.

The US, the Commonwealth, France, the Soviet Union, the Netherlands, and China - all have been invited. Japanese 'meet and greet' delegations are enroute even now to get the ball rolling.

Japan's AXIS partners are headed in from afar too. If all goes right, everyone will meet up for a confab somewhere around ... oh, shall we make it Dehli?
Post #: 1
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 3:54:22 AM   
gwgardner

Only one house rule this time around. All the land and air forces that start the campaign in Japan, Korea, and Manchukuo will stay within the boundaries of their starting province/country, unless the same is invaded.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 2
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 5:36:42 AM   
gwgardner

Dec 7, 41

The war is not even one minute old and the Admiral Nagumo, leading the carrier force into Hawaiian waters is presented with a dilemma. Subs sent in advance have spotted a small US task force at sea. Upon rendevous with the Strike Force, still maintaining radio silence, the subs surfaced to signal the news. Nagumo risked a lone recon flight, which at long range spotted what appears to be US carriers. The whole purpose of the intended strike against Pearl Harbor is to catch the US carriers in port. So Nagumo has a choice - commit his strike to the spotted carrier(s) at sea? Or go ahead with the strike against Pearl Harbor?

[first respondent to this question gets to make the decision. Nagumo will do whatever is advised.]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 3
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 9:37:02 AM   
Josh

Strike the carriers!

(this goes against my historical feelings but so what)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 4
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 10:01:19 AM   
doomtrader

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

Only one house rule this time around. All the land and air forces that start the campaign in Japan, Korea, and Manchukuo will stay within the boundaries of their starting province/country, unless the same is invaded.

You might want to freeze them

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 5
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 12:38:20 PM   
Severian

Destroy carriers Garry :) Halsey will be in trouble :) And remember - Nippon needs you, Emperor needs you ;)

War, war never changes... but are you sure? Bitter Glory

Put an apple in your mouth, we'll play Wilhelm Tell - "Hawkeye" Pierce to Frank Burns

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 6
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 1:28:49 PM   
Henri

Catching the carriers at sea is different than surprising them in port. They will have their crews and CAP. Expect heavy damage even if you win (and you could lose a carrier batle at sea).

Save the game and try the carriers. If it doesn't work out, reload and go after Pearl.

Henri

(in reply to Severian)
Post #: 7
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 2:03:57 PM   
cpdeyoung

And if the Pearl thing is not quite right, reload and try again, or maybe the carriers again.
You can always just reload and try again.
Just like they did in the real war?

No offense, but I'd be careful of that way, it's a slippery slope.

Make your choice.  Fight it out.
In an AAR we are trying to follow actual decisions, with consequences, not a sculpted, botoxed version.

Chuck

(in reply to Henri)
Post #: 8
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 2:28:39 PM   
balto

Concur with Severian 100%.

This is your second AAR and both times you spot the carriers. So I think it is safe to assume we can all spot the Carriers if were are Japan (I am thinking of buying this).

So please hit the carriers so we can see what happens.

Heck, we may discover that the Scenario/Campaign needs to be reworked such as in the initial Carrier placement needs to be at a distant location.., very very distant or else the Japan player will nail them everytime and the game is over.

Looking forward to more AAR. Heck, I wish you would have stayed with the other and had both going at once! Thanks again.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 9
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 3:36:55 PM   
gwgardner

Nagumo has listened to his advisers, and will attack the carriers. No save and reload. He has this one shot, and will skidaddle back to either the Central Med or Home waters, depending on damage.

[I'm thinking that the 'detection probability' setting needs to be ratcheted down. I like there to be a chance that the US carrier(s) would be detected at sea before the Pearl Harbor attack, but it didn't happen historically, so personally I'd like to see it a relatively difficult proposition. Of course that is moddable, but probably should be for the default scenario setup. For that matter, detection across the board should perhaps be lessened, until a navy/air force has a higher tech level.]

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 10
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 4:07:19 PM   
gwgardner

The Admiral has given his intelligence officer 15 minutes to evaluate the recon report. There is bad news, which makes the decision to strike at the US carrier force even more problematical. It seems that the pilots actually only saw one carrier. It cannot be confirmed that there are more. Where are the others? At least three US carriers are thought to be in the Pacific at this time.

But the decision has been made. The attack will be directed at the carriers.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 11
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 4:12:58 PM   
gwgardner

I'm getting a bad feeling about this attack. The US carrier Lexington is in the target force. At full strength, until it took one hit from dive bombers launched from the Akagi. All of my carrier groups are at reduced strength. Yikes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 12
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 4:24:49 PM   
cpdeyoung

I would be careful in the "Central Med" if I were you.  The Royal Navy and Commonwealth forces are going to give you a very hard time in the Suez.

Chuck

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 13
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 4:26:20 PM   
gwgardner

After all six Japanese carriers struck the enemy task force, the action can be considered a major failure. Pilot reports indicated that 1 US CA was definitely seen going under the water, another CA was burning from at least two successful strikes. But the Lexington survived. It took six hits, but as it started out at full strength, it is obviously able to limp back to harbor for repairs. No other carrier was reported by the pilots.

I'm majorly disappointed that I didn't get any critical hits on the Lexington. Bummer.

The Lexington was able to sortie one flight in retaliation against the pilots of the Soryu, and did one SP of damage.

So we are left with a US Pacific Fleet that is barely scratched.

Adviser Josh, and his colleagues, all of whom advised this course of action, have been placed under 24 hour watch for fear of seppuku. Admiral Nagumo has assured them that he takes full responsibility for the failure.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 6/18/2010 4:51:45 PM >

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 14
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 4:31:48 PM   
gwgardner

quote:

ORIGINAL: cpdeyoung

I would be careful in the "Central Med" if I were you.  The Royal Navy and Commonwealth forces are going to give you a very hard time in the Suez.

Chuck

OOps, Central Pac. Heads will roll for this mistake.

(in reply to cpdeyoung)
Post #: 15
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 4:36:39 PM   
balto

WOW! This is hugely interesting. Thank you.

If I am reading this FORUM correctly, the US probably only has 1-2 ports that can repair CVs (Hawaii and California). So is it possible you could turn your whole attack force into a CV hunter? That may be dumb, but I was wondering.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 16
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 4:42:14 PM   
Severian

quote:

Adviser Josh, and his colleagues, all of whom advised this course of action, have been placed under 24 hour watch for fear of seppuku. Admiral Nagumo has assured them that he takes full responsibility for the failure.

So bad for us, so bad PH as Nagumo's major failure - something new in history Emperor is dissapointed

War, war never changes... but are you sure? Bitter Glory

Put an apple in your mouth, we'll play Wilhelm Tell - "Hawkeye" Pierce to Frank Burns

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 17
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 4:44:31 PM   
gwgardner

quote:

ORIGINAL: doomtrader

quote:

ORIGINAL: gwgardner

You might want to freeze them

How does one go about freezing them? You mean in the data files? Or something available in game?

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 18
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 4:47:39 PM   
gwgardner

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

WOW! This is hugely interesting. Thank you.

If I am reading this FORUM correctly, the US probably only has 1-2 ports that can repair CVs (Hawaii and California). So is it possible you could turn your whole attack force into a CV hunter? That may be dumb, but I was wondering.

Well, there is Seattle, San Fran, LA, Anchorage. I haven't tried repairing in a foreign/allied port, but that may work too.

I've thought about just hanging around in the Hawaiian zone to go ahead and strike at Pearl or the Lexington again, but I'm leery of trying it. If the AI is good enough to hit me with land-based strikes, and those other carriers, I'm in trouble.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 19
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 6:53:09 PM   
Henri

Actually when I tried it as the Japanese I actually sank the CV Lexington, but no sight of the other US carriers. As with you, the problem was the damage to my carrier fleet. They all start at not much more than 60% and after Pearl Harbor, they were down to 30% - 50% (they can also be attacked from Pearl, since surprise is lost), which means that each carrier will require 5 to 7 points of repair to build it up to full strength, and since only one point can be fixed per turn, this means a long time in the repair bays.

I hope that this one point of repair is PER PORT, otherwise it will take the rest of the war to fix the carriers...

In the real war, the Japanese carriers DID hightail it back West, so it is not unreasonable to get them fixed, at least to some extent.You might have to consider having them fight at less than full strength during your rapid expansion phase.

The Japanese player must remember that his main objective is not the US, but the resources in SE Asia, and that Pearl Harbor was at best only a delaying move. A high priority must be put upon the Philippines where IRL the incompetent Macarthur did not even have any CAP up (hope that it the same in the game).

Good luck!...

Henri

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 20
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/18/2010 7:31:02 PM   
gwgardner

Good points, Henri.

Let it be known that I had already resolved to move out of the Hawaiian Zone this turn. Which I will do. However, just as a test of the AI I decided to do a save game and then click end turn and stay around. I won't reveal in detail what the AI did to me, in order not to take away the surprise for others, but it ... no, I won't say anything beyond: try it if you dare!

(in reply to Henri)
Post #: 21
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/19/2010 2:46:02 AM   
axisandallies

Ha, good one!........they call it a trap by Elvis.

Stupid rebellion, anyhow....D. Vader

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 22
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/19/2010 6:55:32 AM   
Tomokatu

What does Elvis have under command??

For every action, there is an equal and opposite malfunction

(in reply to axisandallies)
Post #: 23
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/19/2010 1:40:42 PM   
balto

GW, you sold me and I just bought it. The suspense is killing me. Cannot wait to see what happened with your gutsy/crazy decision.

Could you post as many of those "Carrier Air Strike" screens like you did before so we can ask you some questions about some of the fields within those screens?

GREAT JOB, keep them coming. Thanks

(in reply to Tomokatu)
Post #: 24
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/19/2010 2:38:06 PM   
gwgardner

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

GW, you sold me and I just bought it. The suspense is killing me. Cannot wait to see what happened with your gutsy/crazy decision.

For sure. Right now my main carrier group is headed back to Tokyo Bay for refit.

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 25
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/19/2010 3:21:49 PM   
gwgardner

I'm auditioning for the most incompetent commander status.

I sent in a landing force to Lingayen Gulf the first turn, and thought I had left sufficient naval support to keep those units in fully beachhead supply. Comes turn two, and I realize I had goofed up, sending four CAs down to the Gulf of Thailand, where they are no longer needed since Siam has joined the Axis. My Malaya invasion force is now drawing supply from Siam.

So my force on Luzon now only has 12 supply (from 5 CA and 2 BB groups). Enough to let me inch towards the Bataan penninsula, where part of the Philippine militia has gone into fortifications. But not enough to destroy that militia. Meanwhile recon shows that Manila has apparently been declared an open city. If I had had full supply, I may have been able to march in.

Don't make these mistakes at home, guys. Very frustrating.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 26
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/19/2010 3:32:43 PM   
Richard III

Your saying here that LCU`s draw supply through Fleet Combat Units like BB`s /CA`s rather then supply ships like AK\APA`s ??

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 27
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/19/2010 3:34:23 PM   
gwgardner

Meanwhile, things are looking up in Malaya and Siam. With the cooperation of the Siamese, I can now move my air support, that was based in Indochina, onto the penninsula, much closer to the action. Then after the fall of Singapore, I can scoot them on up to support the early push into Burma. I can also release some portion of the navy to head back up to support the Philippine action. Unknown as yet - where is the Royal Navy.

Forces are even now loading into transports for a 2nd round of landings, in Borneo, Sumatra, Mindanao (Cebu was taken without a fight 1st turn.)

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 28
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/19/2010 3:40:05 PM   
gwgardner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richard III

Your saying here that LCU`s draw supply through Fleet Combat Units like BB`s /CA`s rather then supply ships like AK\APA`s ??

It's an abstraction of the AK/APA, since a Ca or a BB in this game is actually considered to be the named ship plus ancillary support craft such as supply ships, tankers, destroyers. As such they're called 'patrol groups' or 'battle groups.' The player has to see a task force in this game as sometimes a combat force, ready for engaging the enemy, and sometimes as representing all the countless other types of ships that will be present not necessarily immediately with the combat ships, but in the same sea zone. That's the way I look at it, anyway.

(in reply to Richard III)
Post #: 29
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/20/2010 9:43:50 AM   
jomni

Or you can say that the supply ships will only be willing to pass through if the necessary ships are there to protect them.

< Message edited by jomni -- 6/20/2010 9:44:08 AM >

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Storm over the Pacific >> After Action Reports >> The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI