Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/19/2010 6:49:28 PM   
SuluSea

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

*********Hanger bay, USS Hornet, 200 M East of Hilo, March 12, 1942*****

V Adm Mitcsher: <strolls briskly into the hanger bay for inspection...he stops abruptly> What are all these Goddamned biplanes doing here? What happened to my SBD's?

Great sense of humor,,LMAO, I have to start reading this.

FWIW

Good luck Cap'n!

"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 1051
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/19/2010 7:42:21 PM   
sprior

Stop whining. Here is my premier ASW aircraft:

Attachment (1)

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 1052
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/19/2010 8:04:50 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

I see. Just how much 'co-operation' are you getting between your army and navy a/c for ASW?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1053
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/19/2010 8:53:15 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: SuluSea

FWIW

Good luck Cap'n!

After a tragic hair loss incident, the design was changed so the propeller was behind the engine.

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 1054
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/19/2010 9:15:53 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

There are Wapiti still in their packing grease in Bombay. I have no sympathy for you.

BTW, I dont think we will be able to send all the P-40's set to withdraw back from Oz right away. I am transfering the pilots from the two squadrons in Perth. When the pilots are drained I will send them back. Perth will just have to go bare for a while. The squadrons at Sydney and Darwin will just have to wait. We will have to pay the fine. There are about 4 squadrons of II Fighter Command about 5-10 d out by sea.

II Fight Command HQ is about 10-14 d out from Sydney. I think you will want II Fighter in Darwin as it is already SWPAC subordinated and comes with numerous squadrons which wont have to be reassigned. VII Fighter HQ (moving by rail from Perth) might be better at Sydney or Townsville but your call.

If we want to try to get the RAF and AVG/I out of Soerabaja I think now is the time while the Jap carriers are busy. I think we can do it by getting 3-4 AK's singly in to Dem Pasar and crating them up, then heading to Oz.

There are 3 Jap divisions at Soerabaja. It does not look good. Why dont we get the Uglofortresses and the Dutch Brewsters out to Ambon? There are 18 Dutch B-25C's waiting to be used. Ambon is looking sketchy but we could build an airfield on one of the Dutch islands E/SE of Timor (Babar or Aru for eg. are buildable to 4 or 5). The Dutch air force could survive there and stiffen defences there and make a direct attack on Darwin much more dangerous. Maybe the Aussie inf at Ambon could pull back or you could find some more Pongo volunteers.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1055
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/19/2010 9:21:57 PM   
witpqs

Good thing they gave them to Mitscher and not Halsey!

Post #: 1056
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/20/2010 1:04:49 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Good thing they gave them to Mitscher and not Halsey!

Halsey hardly has any SBD's left either, but at least his were destroyed in battle.

*******Paint Shop, M&M Enterprises Aviation Support Division, Pitcarin Island, March 13, 1942**********

A workman in orange overalls with grey pinstripes works on an SBD in Navy colors. The letters "C-H-R-I-S-T-I-A-N" are stenciled on the back of his uniform. He paints over the letters "USS HORNET" stenciled on the tail of the aircraft. When he is finished there is no sign of his work.

Young man in fine silk slacks: Nice work, Fletcher! If I had a whole crew like you we could triple production. I left the serial numbers of the airframes that were destroyed in stress testing at the factory on your desk. Use those numbers please. That should keep the Truman Commission off our backs. <He turns to leave after a wave of recognition from the painter..but cups his hand and turns again as he leaves> AND SAY HELLO TO YOUR LOVELY BARE BREASTED POLYNESIAN WIFE. ANY TIME SHE WANTS TO POSE AGAIN FOR THE PAINTER WOULD BE FINE <he gives a thumbs up, which is returned, then he is gone. 200 yds away in the inlet, the engine of a beautifully painted PBY begin to turn over>

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1057
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/20/2010 1:08:32 AM   
Cap Mandrake

You know...the things kinda grow on you.

Mitcsher's "new" SBC-4's

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 6/20/2010 1:10:10 AM >

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 1058
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/20/2010 1:13:38 AM   
Chickenboy

Beautiful painting, Cap.

Post #: 1059
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/20/2010 1:22:15 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Beautiful painting, Cap.

Isn't it?

R. G. Smith

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://rgsmithart.com/images/images/Curtiss%2520SBC-4%2520Helldiver_080821120856.jpg&imgrefurl=http://rgsmithart.com/index.php%3Fgo%3D.images.image%26image_id%3D128%26showOrnithologicalDetils%3D1&h=493&w=700&sz=388&tbnid=vseRArws0fxDFM:&tbnh=99&tbnw=140&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsbc-4&hl=en&usg=__0R0_U5hC4_FU8Rk_sOJlEdd7rG4=&sa=X&ei=Il8dTLC8EoSlnQeYs-TtDQ&ved=0CBoQ9QEwBA

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1060
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/20/2010 3:44:07 AM   
BrucePowers

I think the reason you don't like Truman is because he is getting close to the M&M Corporation

Post #: 1061
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/20/2010 5:59:08 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

I think the reason you don't like Truman is because he is getting close to the M&M Corporation

No, on the contrary. By gumming up the wheels of the "military industrial complex", he is making the war last longer. That is GOOD for M&M Enterprises.

Besides, it usually the squarest, nerdy guy at work who has the kinkiest private life and the guy who wears a bow tie all the time is guaranteed to have a sound proof basement with chains all over the walls. I am pretty sure Truman can be "gotten to".

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 1062
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/20/2010 8:13:38 AM   
witpqs

A J. Edgar black bag operation?

Post #: 1063
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/20/2010 9:21:01 PM   
sprior

JJ comes ashore at Ambon with an infantry regiment, 2 Engineer Regiments and some arty. Only to find Sparrow Force, Gull Force, Pigeon Post and this guy:

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1064
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/20/2010 9:25:11 PM   
sprior

Meanwhile the Uglofortresses are move to Ambon although a 1:2 attack at Soerabaya does nothing except chip some clogs. The banshees at Ambon bet up an undefended invasion force as the CD does some quite severe damage.

The fighters are being moved to a base to the SE of Soerabaya and freighters diverted to pick them up. Let's hope it works.

JJ steps off the straigh and narrow to the north of Shwebo, I wonder if he's going to try and bounce us out of Imphal or if he wants to build a base in that dot hex to the SW thereof.

China is horrible, just horrible.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1065
Remedial course - 6/21/2010 2:08:48 AM   
Cap Mandrake

I REALLY need to get some new PBY jockeys in New Edinburgh.

Situation, March 13, 1942, New Scotland: Searches on the 12th reveal the harbor at New Ullapool to be empty. I order another night bombardment on New Ullapool. This will consist of all the available combatant vessels at New Edinburgh. The transports will be unguarded except for a few minesweepers and 2 DD's in arriving TF's.

Adm. Lake's force will consist of:

CA Chester
CA Northampton
CL Trenton
DD Reid
DD Helm
DD La Triomphant
DD Clark
DD Downes

Almost all are veterans of the run. The night starts well, there are no vessels defending New Ullapool and the gunnery accuracy is very good. 15 planes are destroyed on the ground and 75 runway hits are reported. Upon the attempted exit through the reef to the NE coast of New Scotland, however, our old friend Kirishima is standing athwart the exit again. I think Kirishima retired to the NW the previous day then made another run back at night.

In any event, the two forces encounter each other at daybreak, with a gun duel breaking out at 23,000 yds. Adm Lake is up against Kirishima, Kako, Tenryu and 4 DD's. After a spiritied duel, both sides break off. On balance, I would say it was an Allied victory.

Kako, which sustained some damage 2 days before is now burning heavily as are 2 Jap DD's. even Kirishima is smoking after the fight. Every Jap vessel is hit.

On the Allied side, Chester takes the most damage but can still make good speed. Two DD's will need some repair time but the damage is very minor. I cant believe more than one or two Jap vessels are combat worthy, although Kirishima might be able to stay if she has ammo. Sadly, however, on her way back to New Edinburgh, Chester is hit by a torpedo from RO-33. it leaves a mark (level 33 fire and soem flooding). This could be bad. I think she can make it to New Edinburgh barring another Jap sub attack.

On the ground, Jap strength on the line is now 36,000 combat troops with another 13,000 Japs at New Ullapool. 181st Inf Regt and a USMC armored Bn are coming ashore.

There are now 189+ operational aircraft at New Edinburgh including 4 squadrons of medium (2/3 strength) and 3 of heavies.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 6/21/2010 2:10:49 AM >

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 1066
Oops - 6/21/2010 5:30:09 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Madre de Dios!

I recommend we move some of the Dutch air force to Ambon for safety and the Japs land there the very next turn!

Not to worry, I think the Aussies can hold for a few days. It would indeed be ironic if all the A-24's at Ambon fell into Jap hands the day before they have to go back to Pitcarin.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 6/21/2010 5:32:44 AM >

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 1067
Commerce - 6/21/2010 5:50:23 AM   
Cap Mandrake

********M&M Enterprises, Military Publications Division, Sydney, March 13, 1942**********

A workman seals a crate. A label reads, "HOW TO SPOT SHIPS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING: A BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO TELLING SHIPS FROM WHALES AND OTHER THINGS YOU MIGHT FIND IN THE OCEAN, Capt. Yossarian, USAAF, c. 1942, M&M Enterprise, Military Publications Division, Sydney, Australia.....Number 100..Ship to USAAF VII Bomber Command HQ, XXXX New Edinburgh: Attn. Cpt. McGoo"

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 6/21/2010 5:52:55 AM >

Post #: 1068
RE: Commerce - 6/21/2010 5:51:07 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1069
RE: Commerce - 6/21/2010 7:48:25 PM   
BrucePowers

Truman was a lot less kinky than Hoover

Post #: 1070
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/21/2010 7:49:31 PM   
BrucePowers

quote:

JJ comes ashore at Ambon with an infantry regiment, 2 Engineer Regiments and some arty. Only to find Sparrow Force, Gull Force, Pigeon Post and this guy:

Yankee Doodle pigeon

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1071
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/21/2010 9:15:16 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

JJ comes ashore at Ambon with an infantry regiment, 2 Engineer Regiments and some arty. Only to find Sparrow Force, Gull Force, Pigeon Post

Johnny Jap will rue the day they took on Australian Avian Regt, I tell you. Not just ordinary ruefullness either....real rock-your-soul type ruefullness.

I suspect they are after all the guano....high in nitrogen, you know.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1072
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/21/2010 9:50:41 PM   
BrucePowers

You can use it to make explosives I suspect you know this already, after all you have 78 percent nitrogen in your BMW tires.

Post #: 1073
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/23/2010 12:45:15 PM   
sprior

Pongoes tired of Corned Dog get a pleasant surprise when the supply convoy pulls into Darwin:

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 1074
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/23/2010 12:46:41 PM   
sprior

quote:

Johnny Jap will rue the day they took on Australian Avian Regt

Stop crowing

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 1075
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/23/2010 1:17:23 PM   
Chickenboy

You got something against crowing, bud?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1076
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/23/2010 2:06:04 PM   
sprior

Avian - crowing? geddit? a punne no less.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1077
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/24/2010 5:15:58 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

Pongoes tired of Corned Dog get a pleasant surprise when the supply convoy pulls into Darwin:

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1078
RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? - 6/25/2010 2:46:52 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

I don't think I could get my dog to eat that.....the one with the really small head that already ingested a bottle of Maalox.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1079
Penalty for late withdrawal? - 6/25/2010 3:20:57 PM   
Cap Mandrake

******March 15, 1942*********

New Scotland:

Ground forces: A new Jap infantry regt. appeared on Gryme's New Dyke Line. Another US Army regt. and a Marine armored bn. are disembarking at New Edinburgh now. A second bn. of Kiwi infantry are now at New Edinburgh to oppose any possible Jap landing behind my lines. There is yet another infantry regt. on the way by sea and a Tank Destroyer Bn is moving to San diego for shipment to the New Scotland. Queen Elziabeth (the liner not the hot babe) is at San Diego waiting for the 12th Marine Regt to be ready. There are already hundreds of tanks and tankettes in the line. The Japs are evidently throwing in everything they can. I would like to unite the ground forces under I Amphib Corps command but it is too costly in points. Most of 1st Marine Raider is ashore at Tanna.

Naval Forces: Remember when I said Chester had been torpedoed...it hadn't...it was Northampton. She was hit by two more torpedoes on the way to New Edinburgh and sunk. That is the third heavy crusier lost in this campaign. Another CA came up from Auckalnd to stiffen the surface force. I have not tried another bombardment raid as a Jap BB was spotted at New Ullapool on the 14th. I am thinking of sending the 4 pre-war BB's at San Francisco for bombardment or guard duty.

Air: The airfield will be level 5 in a few days. There will soon be at least 100 fighters at New Edinburgh. I am trying sweeps over New Ullapool to gain superiority. So far, it is best a slow attrition.

Ambon: Lord Admiral Sprior opines that Johnny Jap have been surprised at the strength of Allied forces at Ambon. I quite agree. Again on the 14th, CD guns at Ambon and the surviving A-24's decimated a landing force. Thre is a heavy Jap surface force rounding the turn near western Sulawese. This is almost certainly a bombardment force. They may reach Ambon the night of 15/16. The Japs tried to shut down the airfield with Betty and Sally raids but were surprised by a tired but experienced squadron of P-40 jocks. Warspite (now at Darwin) can't intervene b/o th Jap carriers laying off 80 miles to the SW. Most of the aircraft at Ambon are supposed to be on their way to Pitcarin already. Maybe we can levy some kind of tax of the Ambonese to pay the fines.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 6/25/2010 3:25:32 PM >

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 1080
Page:   <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Biplanes? Are you ******* kidding me? Page: <<   < prev  34 35 [36] 37 38   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI