Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Storm over the Pacific >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/20/2010 5:43:56 PM   
gwgardner

Jan '42

Chinese partisans saw an opportunity when I moved a portion of my occupying troops to frontline positions. Constant harrassment in rear areas has required me to delay sending one armored unit forward, as it is necessary to put down rebellions in Tangshan and Qingdao.

Farther west I launched an offensive into Communist held territory, using 4 divisions of Inner Mongolian troops. The Communists counter-attacked on the Eastern flank of that offensive and wiped out one entire Mongolian division as it was negotiating a pass through the mountains north of Sinkawang.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 6/20/2010 5:48:01 PM >

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 31
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/21/2010 7:31:40 AM   
gwgardner

Jan 16

The Philippines have surrendered. Two full divisions of US troops taken into custody. Supply mismanagement nearly derailed the taking of Malaya [I haven't mastered the art of convoys, and supply through Siam suddenly got cut off. Not sure why yet], until recon showed that the British had falied to fall back upon Singapore and had left a lone garrison force in the city. A powerful infantry corps, which was intended to reinforce the penninsula troops was instead sent directly against the city, and took it.

Similar landings in Borneo, Celebes, and Java have been successful. Sumatra will follow. A tentative advance into Burma is underway, but more in the way of reconnaissance than actual invasion, until the Malaya force can be released to head north.

For the last two weeks the a small raiding force made up of the Lexington and some patrol groups, from what I can tell, has been marauding into the Polynesian islands. Island garrisons bombarded, air defenses tested (one air unit destroyed). Since the preponderance of my fleet is in the South and in repair, the Lexington has had a free hand. But now I may have caught it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 32
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/21/2010 1:12:38 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

Or you can say that the supply ships will only be willing to pass through if the necessary ships are there to protect them.

That makes sense .. being so used to WitP and AE its quite a stretch going back to a larger scale .

Thanks for the AAR gwgardner, i'm on the fence to buy this (time to play it really) ..

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 33
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/21/2010 1:20:19 PM   
oldspec4

Agree that this a very good AAR...will probably pick this up after the first patch fixes some of the noted issues. I had fun w/ ToW so seems that this would be a logical follow-up.

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 34
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/21/2010 3:51:44 PM   
gwgardner

Glad you're enjoying the AAR. Sure hope you do get the game. The more the merrier.

One turn later, the Lexington slipped the noose out of the Wake Sea Zone, but I was able to spot it again in the Phoenix Zone. So I hit it hard with land-based bombers off of Maleolop Atoll and got a critical hit!

The Lexington will not be harassing the islands again.

[This brings up the question whether the AI should have had the Lexington out there raiding like that.]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to oldspec4)
Post #: 35
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/21/2010 4:41:23 PM   
Severian

It looks better than sinking of Prince of Wales and Repulse  Congratulations Garry 

War, war never changes... but are you sure? Bitter Glory

Put an apple in your mouth, we'll play Wilhelm Tell - "Hawkeye" Pierce to Frank Burns

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 36
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/21/2010 9:08:28 PM   
uncc

I've not yet seen a response about "freezing units" that was raised earlier in this AAR? anyone? Thanks...

...We now rejoin the excellent AAR in progress....

< Message edited by uncc -- 6/21/2010 9:26:49 PM >

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once -- David Hume, Scottish philosopher (1711 - 1776)

(in reply to Severian)
Post #: 37
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/22/2010 12:10:14 AM   
gwgardner

quote:

ORIGINAL: uncc

I've not yet seen a response about "freezing units" that was raised earlier in this AAR? anyone? Thanks...

...We now rejoin the excellent AAR in progress....

Slipped throught the cracks. I think there is an entry in the data files for each unit, which can be set to 'frozen.' I personally prefer not to have frozen units, but will endeavor to stick to my house rule. By the way, that is sorely tested by the constant forays of the Chinese partisans farther south. The frequency of appearance of partisans is also a factor that can be set in the data files. A percentage chance. Right now it's really high, and difficult. Keeps the Japanese player on his toes in China, and makes it essential to do some careful long-range planning about where to concentrate troops for frontline offensives.

(in reply to uncc)
Post #: 38
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/22/2010 2:18:01 AM   
jomni

I heard that the new patch demands a restart.  Did you apply the patch already? 

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 39
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/22/2010 3:22:12 AM   
gwgardner

Not yet. I'm thinking about keeping a 1.01 version.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 40
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/22/2010 4:18:44 AM   
balto

GW, the critical hit on the Lexington. That is not in the manual.

Is the Air Stike results window saying that a 2 strength Tac took out the 7 strength CV Lexington? Wow! You sure that is working correctly?

Lastly, when you say you SPOTTED, do you mean you saw the Lexington on the map, so you hit with the TAC. Or do you mean you ordered your Tac to hit that sea zone blindly, and they SPOTTED the Lexington and sunk her?

The reason I ask is because I am confused by section 9.6 of manual, it is talking about the chance of an air unit SPOTTING "The chance of spotting an enemy fleet depends on the attacker’s air technology, air unit strength and the defender’s naval technology levels." Does that mean on a recon mission? How does that come into play in your situation with the Lexington.., did you see it on the map, or did you fly blindly into the sea zone and spotted it and sunk her?

PS - As I play with this and have trouble with seeing things on the map, I am starting to see the clarity of the map you use.., we need Agent S to get involved here.

< Message edited by balto -- 6/22/2010 4:23:46 AM >

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 41
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/22/2010 12:05:28 PM   
gwgardner

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

GW, the critical hit on the Lexington. That is not in the manual.

Is the Air Stike results window saying that a 2 strength Tac took out the 7 strength CV Lexington? Wow! You sure that is working correctly?

Lastly, when you say you SPOTTED, do you mean you saw the Lexington on the map, so you hit with the TAC. Or do you mean you ordered your Tac to hit that sea zone blindly, and they SPOTTED the Lexington and sunk her?

The reason I ask is because I am confused by section 9.6 of manual, it is talking about the chance of an air unit SPOTTING "The chance of spotting an enemy fleet depends on the attacker’s air technology, air unit strength and the defender’s naval technology levels." Does that mean on a recon mission? How does that come into play in your situation with the Lexington.., did you see it on the map, or did you fly blindly into the sea zone and spotted it and sunk her?

Generally an air strike against ships will do lesser damage, but there is the random chance for more, and even the chance for what I call a critical hit. It's historically accurate as far as the possibility of achieving such a hit, if not the percentage possibility in the game - which of course can be modded to whatever is desired.

As Severian noted above, just after the war in the Pacific started, the Royal Navy ships Repulse and Prince of Wales met just such a demise. If I recall correctly, they suffered 'critical' hits from level bombers! I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall that one of those ships took a bomb right down the smokestack.

I spotted the Lexington by doing a recon flight into the sea zone. Sometimes you have to do such a recon flight manually to find the enemy, at other times there is a random chance that passing ships will be spotted by your ships, etc.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 6/22/2010 12:08:53 PM >

(in reply to balto)
Post #: 42
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/23/2010 3:41:44 AM   
pat.casey

quote:

ORIGINAL: balto

As Severian noted above, just after the war in the Pacific started, the Royal Navy ships Repulse and Prince of Wales met just such a demise. If I recall correctly, they suffered 'critical' hits from level bombers! I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall that one of those ships took a bomb right down the smokestack.

They were attacked by a mix of level and torpedo bombers. The level bombers did scrore some hits but they did little actual damage. Major damage to both POW and Repulse was from air launched torpedoes. Repulse too 4-5, POW took 4 torps and one bomb.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 43
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/23/2010 3:58:01 AM   
jomni

I think it's Betty bombers (level bombers) armed with torpedos.

(in reply to pat.casey)
Post #: 44
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/23/2010 7:04:03 PM   
gwgardner

Here's another way to keep track of where enemy ships are: take a look at this raider report for Jan 16 turn. After reading the report, I checked Line Islands Sea Zone and Lo! The Enterprise is still there being shadowed by my sub.

Now I have to see if I can send a carrier force over to the Line Islands. Those are out of my 'sphere,' so it's more risky. And will the Enterprise still be there when I arrive? Is the AI sending out another weak carrier group for raiding? Or is this a bigger, more dangerous TF?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 6/23/2010 7:07:00 PM >

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 45
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/23/2010 7:19:09 PM   
gwgardner

In China, the partisans continue to cause havoc. So much so that I determined that I don't have enough forces in China to simultaneously carry out offensives and control the populace.

The real deciding factor was when the city of Peking rose up in revolt, thereby taking 8 PPs a turn out of my force pool. Three turns of that, and I've already lost enough PPs to build a corps. Dislodging those rebels from a city like Peking is going to require some effort.

Therefore I had to divert an entire infantry corps from their intended task in the South.

[Darn. I now see that I have positioned the corps across a river from the city! I repeat, don't do this at home, people!]

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 6/23/2010 7:20:46 PM >

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 46
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/26/2010 2:53:50 PM   
gwgardner

mid-Feb '42

I am taking losses every turn to Allied raiders, hitting my convoys. Last turn 10 STPs sank, supplying my far-flung islands.

What's your opinion if I just delete the convoys to the most vulnerable sea lanes - to such islands as Eniweetok? My garrison there can go on reduced rations for a while. Would this be considered a gamey tactic?

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 6/26/2010 5:02:06 PM >

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 47
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/26/2010 6:01:40 PM   
gwgardner

In Burma, combined Siamese and Japanese forces have had some success. Rangoon will come under siege by mid-March. Air units from the Malaya campaign have been moved north into Siam.

So far no sign of the British fleet, although if they want to take us on, the Kaga and Akagi are awaiting south of Rangoon.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 48
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/26/2010 6:05:52 PM   
gwgardner

The Imperial Army has failed disastrously in the China campaign. Every attempt to establish an offensive against the RoC has been disrupted by their partisan efforts. The rebel group in Peking has been destroyed, but at this point, without some serious reinforcements, the Army will be lucky to maintain the status quo in China. Not good. Three corps are currently being brought up to full strength after being deployed in Korea. They will soon be railroaded west to reinforce the front line.

As for the IJN, it continues to support the taking of the Dutch East Indies. That is going well, if only slowly. A hair-brained landing near Darwin has been woefully unsupported. As have garrison forces in the Caroline islands and other Pacific outposts.

Either things must be shaped up quickly, or there will be a shakeup in the high commands of both arms.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 6/26/2010 6:08:32 PM >

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 49
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/26/2010 6:17:13 PM   
gwgardner

Kuala Lamur has finally fallen, leaving only one lone straggler division of British territorial forces left to mop up in Malaya. The Malayan force will be transported over to Sumatra, or north for the drive on India.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 50
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/26/2010 6:22:48 PM   
gwgardner

Java is completely occupied, now that the Batavian defense has been crushed. Borneo is soon to be completely occupied. The Celebes is secure. With the exception of Sumatra, this leaves only Mar, on the northwestern tip of New Guinea, and Dili as the last refuge of the Dutch government. Once those two are taken, I expect the Dutch to come to accomodate to the new order of things.

< Message edited by gwgardner -- 6/26/2010 6:32:14 PM >

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 51
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/26/2010 6:34:13 PM   
gwgardner

plan for forcing the Dutch out of the war [based upon VP cities]

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 52
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 6/29/2010 4:40:58 PM   
gwgardner

Mid-March Status

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 53
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 7/4/2010 9:09:17 PM   
gwgardner

It seems that 1.02 significantly alters the behavior of the Allied AI. Unfortunately, since I started this AAR with 1.01, many of the enhanced triggers and AI options are voided. Therefore I'm left with a choice between playing on against a less-capable AI, or starting over, to fight against the best the AI has to offer.

What I may do is start over with 1.02, and play up to the general date of Mid March, and then resume the AAR from there - unless that seems totally screwy.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 54
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 7/4/2010 9:23:29 PM   
doomtrader

Or you might also want to wait for next patch.

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 55
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 7/4/2010 10:37:28 PM   
gwgardner

coming soon? And with more enhancements for the AI?

(in reply to doomtrader)
Post #: 56
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 7/9/2010 1:05:24 AM   
Chocolino

Great AAR. Thank you.

Just when I was looking forward to you taking PM...

From your experience, can Japan stay on the offensive in the South Pacific beyond the first 6 month or will the tides turn with the expiry of its initial bonus?

(in reply to gwgardner)
Post #: 57
RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR - 7/9/2010 1:25:25 PM   
gwgardner

It's the Allies that are really struggling.

against human in PBEM: I think the Allied advantage in PPs will turn the tide in '42-'43
against AI: I haven't played far enough to tell, but my impression is that the Japanese can overwhelm the AI. Wastelands is working on the AI constantly, so this should improve from the Allied standpoint.

(in reply to Chocolino)
Post #: 58
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Storm over the Pacific >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Let There Be Calm Upon the Waters AAR Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI