Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 5:03:24 PM   
jonreb31

USA is winner of the group and is advancing, we were hinging for that one goal for the whole 90 minutes and then it finally came.
Wooooooooooo!

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 241
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 5:30:52 PM   
terje439

quote:

ORIGINAL: JonReb

USA is winner of the group and is advancing, we were hinging for that one goal for the whole 90 minutes and then it finally came.
Wooooooooooo!

The question ofc is if winning this group is better than finishing second depending on the outcome in the Germany group, but I have to say I really enjoyed to see the US advance (well as long as it was not on behalf of England ).

Anyway congratulations USA!

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to jonreb31)
Post #: 242
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 5:37:27 PM   
V22 Osprey

England beats Slovenia 1:0

So, now it just depends on what happens tomorrow in Group D. I think Germany will beat Ghana, but this year's World cup is full of surprises so will see. All the major football powerhouses are epically failing this year.

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 243
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 5:39:14 PM   
Rob Brennan UK

quote:

(well as long as it was not on behalf of England ).

Cheeky mare . I was kind of hopeing that england would lose so the damn hysteria over here would end. Would starting a thread about hating vuvuzelas be OT .. What is it with these things and the people who blow them , they don't get louder when a goals scored ? or the tempo picks up ? they make no sense to me whatsoever .

sorry for the spelling . English is my main language , I just can't type . and i'm too lazy to edit :)

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 244
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 5:56:09 PM   
moonraker65

At least we're through (Phew !! ) As usual we made it hard for ourselves but I suppose that's the English way. Well done the US on winning the group. Looked as though you could have 5 or 6 against Algeria and Dempsey's goal shoul'd've stood.

(in reply to Rob Brennan UK)
Post #: 245
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 6:24:44 PM   
warspite1

Just as in 2002 we could regret not finishing top of the group but we should have beaten Slovenia by more to ensure we finished first. But credit where credit's due; the USA NEVER give up and frankly they DESERVE top spot (perfectly good goal against Slovenia disallowed) - well done Yanks!

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to moonraker65)
Post #: 246
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 6:26:40 PM   
V22 Osprey

quote:

ORIGINAL: moonraker

At least we're through (Phew !! ) As usual we made it hard for ourselves but I suppose that's the English way. Well done the US on winning the group. Looked as though you could have 5 or 6 against Algeria and Dempsey's goal shoul'd've stood.

Landon Donovan's last goal may have been the only that counted, but anyone who looks back at the match can't deny that it was slaughter. USA had so many shots on-target that it was only matter of time before it eventually went in. I do have to give props to the Algerian goal keeper.

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to moonraker65)
Post #: 247
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 6:37:56 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

quote:

Wooooooooooo!

The question ofc is if winning this group is better than finishing second depending on the outcome in the Germany group, but I have to say I really enjoyed to see the US advance (well as long as it was not on behalf of England ).

Anyway congratulations USA!

Terje
Warspite1

Terje - I take it you meant as long it was not at the expense of England? If so - thanks for your support

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 248
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 6:58:36 PM   
Terminus

Well, the English hopefully won't advance out of the second round, considering how much of a fluke it was that they advanced into it. Sorry, but them's the beans...

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to jonreb31)
Post #: 249
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 7:46:46 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Well, the English hopefully won't advance out of the second round, considering how much of a fluke it was that they advanced into it. Sorry, but them's the beans...

Warspite1

How ridiculous and spectacularly uninformed was that comment??

We did not play at all well against Algeria (quite the reverse in fact) but they were no closer to scoring than we were and so a point a piece was fair; we were okay against the US and did not win only thanks to a flukey goal (kudos to the Americans for playing so well though). We beat - and out played - Slovenia and so qualified for the last 16 unbeaten with five points.

The fact that we in no way played like a side that is likely to win the World Cup does NOT mean it was a fluke we got through the group - thats just complete nonsense. Please tell me in what way we were lucky.......

I think the fact you said "hopefully" shows that your pathetic comment was more to do with personal view rather than an objective view of three football games.

Maybe we wont make it past the last 16 - but that in no way makes your summary of Group C in anyway shape or form an accurate one. And the FLUKEY bit was?????

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 6/23/2010 7:56:14 PM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 250
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 8:11:13 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rob Brennan UK
RSA 2 France 0 .. almost 1/2 time. France has really imploded [...]

What happened to France is Scatological P*** and should NOT be discussed on these forums

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

Post #: 251
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 9:11:51 PM   
Dixie

England don't deserve to be in the last 16 any more or less than the other teams who make it through, including the USA who got the same points tally.  We've been terrible but still managed to achieve qualification through their own efforts.  We're not going to get much further, but that's par for the course as England goes. 

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 252
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 9:22:26 PM   
Terminus

Well, the Italians shouldn't have been in the World Cup AT ALL. It's not the Diving World Cup, after all...

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 253
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 9:34:00 PM   
warspite1

quote:

Well, the Italians shouldn't have been in the World Cup AT ALL. It's not the Diving World Cup, after all...

Warspite1

Any other nation you want to insult while treating us to your footballing wisdom?

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 254
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 9:39:37 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: aprezto

Of course I can hardly get my hopes up, but since we are there, and I am as patriotic as the next bloke, I have to add a plug for the Kiwis against Slovakia tonight. In our previous effort (at the world cup) the 'being there' was the victory. This team is a little better than that - or maybe a bit more professional. However, I can't help feeling that the best we can hope for is to score a goal and not get "Australia'd"

Warspite1

Well we need one real shock result from the first round of matches - lets hope the All Whites provide it. Unfortunately Slovakia are one half of a useful footballing nation; four major finals as Czechoslovakia - two World Cup finals and two European Championship finals (Champions in 1976).

This side beat Russia in the play-offs and are a useful team, but fingers crossed - 1-0 to the All Whites, Plymouth's Rory Fallon scores with 10 minutes to go and New Zealand hold on for a famous victory.........

Warspite1

Okay - not quite as planned but a great result for the All Whites nonetheless. Now a point against Italy and a win against Paraguay and the last 16 here we come.....simples

Warspite1

Oh yes - one to go New Zealand....Come on you All Whites, you can do it

Warspite1

Good luck to the Kiwis for tomorrow afternoon - whatever happens, you've done your country proud.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 255
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 9:42:53 PM   
Terminus

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Any other nation you want to insult while treating us to your footballing wisdom?

Touchy... Touchy...

The French, perhaps?

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 256
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 9:49:57 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

quote:

quote:

Warspite1

Touchy... Touchy...

The French, perhaps?

The French players / coach / federation / fans kill each other these days so they don't need any help. Simply do as me, throw popcorn from the cheap seats and enjoy the show...

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 257
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 10:04:51 PM   
Terminus

I'd mock my own team (Denmark), but nobody knows who they are...

Tulius, isn't that what everybody here does? Sit in the cheap seats and go on and on and on about things SHOULD be done? Every national team has one real manager and thousands of managers who know much better than him...

Either way, the only team I can claim to like in the World Cup is the United States. Not because they're particularly skilled, but because neither players nor fans have any egos. Once football takes better hold in America, they'll go the same way as all the others, but for now, they're enjoyable.

England, Franche, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, Brazil... They're all overpaid, spoiled brats who spend more time appearing in commercials and tabloids than playing. Line 'em all up against the wall.

And Warspite1? Take a pill.

Post #: 258
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 10:08:19 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Wooooooooooo!

Reminded me a lot of the 1980 Olympics' Miracle on Ice.

It's tough to win when you have to score two goals for every one that counts, but they got it done at the end. An exhausting ordeal, but nice.

The Moose

(in reply to jonreb31)
Post #: 259
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 10:09:55 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Either way, the only team I can claim to like in the World Cup is the United States. Not because they're particularly skilled, but because neither players nor fans have any egos. Once football takes better hold in America, they'll go the same way as all the others, but for now, they're enjoyable.

You are quite correct on this one. At least I see it this way too

Bullwinkle, this was not a miracle. The Americans DESERVED to be on the next round... I doubt the Ghanese will defeat them, so you should make it to the next round again. And that won't be a miracle either.

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 6/23/2010 10:12:18 PM >

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 260
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 10:12:41 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

RSA 2 France 0 .. almost 1/2 time. France has really imploded [...]

What happened to France is Scatological P*** and should NOT be discussed on these forums

You know it's good cursing when some readers can't figure out what the stars stand for.

The Moose

Post #: 261
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 10:59:58 PM   
terje439

quote:

Terje - I take it you meant as long it was not at the expense of England? If so - thanks for your support

My bad, that was ofc what I ment
Gonna be a thriller against Germany.
And support...Well I ALWAYS cheer for England, even against Norway

Terje

"Hun skal torpederes!" - Birger Eriksen

("She is to be torpedoed!")

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 262
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 11:30:43 PM   
JohnDillworth

Well England gets the bad draw against Germany. Not that Ghana is a pass, but better them than the Germans who are capable of great things. Doesn't matter, the South American teams have all been great. Just a question of which one wins it all.

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

(in reply to terje439)
Post #: 263
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/23/2010 11:33:59 PM   
Canoerebel

I know nothing about soccer, but I *assume* that it is possible for any team to beat any other team on any given day, sort of like American baseball and football.  You know, like Stanford beating Southern Cal in football a couple of years ago?

Since I know nothing about soccer, I have no clue about the relative strengths of the 16 teams remaining in the tournament.  Anybody care to rank those 16 in order from one to sixteen?  Also, which of the teams have a legit shot at winning and which have essentially no shot?

(in reply to JohnDillworth)
Post #: 264
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 12:16:10 AM   
Vincenzo_Beretta

quote:

If so, neither the N. Koreans should be in the World Cup AT ALL. It is not the Torpedoing World Cup, after all...

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 265
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 12:19:56 AM   
Vincenzo_Beretta

quote:

England, Franche, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, Brazil... They're all overpaid, spoiled brats who spend more time appearing in commercials and tabloids than playing.

...And which, amazingly enough, ocasionally win a World Cup

quote:

Line 'em all up against the wall.

As a way of evening the field? But then we would ask the same if some big American Football World Cup gets organized.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 266
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 12:47:38 AM   
aprezto

quote:

England, Franche, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Argentina, Brazil... They're all overpaid, spoiled brats who spend more time appearing in commercials and tabloids than playing. Line 'em all up against the wall.

Interesting perspective on pay-parity with the Kiwi side, that I noted in our local news. The lead striker for Paraguay gets paid 35 times more than the kiwi side (I am not sure I agree with this stat - surely Ryan Nelson gets reasonable wedge with Blackburn???)! The kiwi coach is on US$25K per annum! Gads we're a tinpot country.

However, we are still in with a chance, and it will be another late night for me (game shown at 2am local time).

Image courtesy of Divepac

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 267
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 1:00:58 AM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

quote:

(well as long as it was not on behalf of England ).

Cheeky mare . I was kind of hopeing that england would lose so the damn hysteria over here would end. Would starting a thread about hating vuvuzelas be OT .. What is it with these things and the people who blow them , they don't get louder when a goals scored ? or the tempo picks up ? they make no sense to me whatsoever .

aren't they meant to give the fans practice doing breathalizer tests after the match? we need those over here at the Oakland Raider games...

PS - stay classy, Algeria...b*tch slapping a reporter DOES NOT endear you to anyone outside of certain cultural regions...
what did she say to deserve that? "Better luck next time."?

< Message edited by Kwik E Mart -- 6/24/2010 1:17:21 AM >

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

Post #: 268
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 1:30:36 AM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
Since I know nothing about soccer, I have no clue about the relative strengths of the 16 teams remaining in the tournament.  Anybody care to rank those 16 in order from one to sixteen?  Also, which of the teams have a legit shot at winning and which have essentially no shot?

Canoerebel, it's easy to remember. The big powers are Europeans & South Americans. In fact, it's all about 4 teams. 2 Europeans and 2 South Americans: Italy, Germany, Brazil and Argentina. These are the big ones.

Then you have the wannabes (they have world-class players): England, Holland, Spain.

And basically that's it. The other teams could hardly win the WC

EDITED: this is a "historical" approach. The facts may tell you that the Italian squad is rather weak this time. The Germans were having very bad times but they came back in force again (apparently). The Brazilians, on paper they do NOT have the best players this time but it's Brazil... and and and... England and Spain have some world-class players and Holland usually implodes... so it all depends

Oh, and the French, but as I have said scatological p*** should be avoided here...

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 6/24/2010 1:37:25 AM >

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 269
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/24/2010 1:45:14 AM   
Torplexed

quote:

I'd have to concur with that. If America had been eliminated today, there would have been some disappointment among the few hard-core football fans here, but most Americans would have just shrugged, as they find the sport baffling. In the office where I work there was virtually no positive reaction and a few yawns when I informed them of the win. However, start talking up the upcoming NFL season two months away....then they get excited. Frankly, the English announcer at the match sounded more excited for our win then most fellow Americans I speak too.

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI