Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/25/2010 1:09:56 PM   
moonraker65

Well let's hope that they're honest with themselves and call it a day. There are enough decent players waiting in the wings I expect and Italy are never short of decent players usually.

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 331
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/25/2010 1:16:38 PM   
yubari

As an English man living in Germany, I have to say that I am really not looking forward to the Quarter Final game, Germany have looked far superior in the group games (apart from when having had a player unjustly sent off) and I would give Germany more than a two-thirds chance of winning on Sunday.

As an aside, WITP got a mention on the BBC radio World Cup coverage the other day, during the Danny Baker World Cup show on Radio 5. Danny was looking at the 3 day long Wimbledon tennis game and asking for other long-running sporting matches. Graham in Buckinghamshire called in to say that he had been playing War in the Pacific for the past six and a half years against his son. The presenter seemed somewhat confused because the war only lasted 4 years. Graham seemed annoyed as his son had been hiding his carriers!
It made me laugh anyway.

Post #: 332
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/25/2010 1:52:16 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

ORIGINAL: yubari

As an aside, WITP got a mention on the BBC radio World Cup coverage the other day, during the Danny Baker World Cup show on Radio 5. Danny was looking at the 3 day long Wimbledon tennis game and asking for other long-running sporting matches. Graham in Buckinghamshire called in to say that he had been playing War in the Pacific for the past six and a half years against his son. The presenter seemed somewhat confused because the war only lasted 4 years. Graham seemed annoyed as his son had been hiding his carriers!
It made me laugh anyway.

That's classic!

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

(in reply to yubari)
Post #: 333
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/25/2010 1:55:49 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

As an English man living in Germany, I have to say that I am really not looking forward to the Quarter Final game, Germany have looked far superior in the group games (apart from when having had a player unjustly sent off) and I would give Germany more than a two-thirds chance of winning on Sunday.

It made me laugh anyway.

Is this for real?

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to yubari)
Post #: 334
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/25/2010 4:45:31 PM   
frank1970

ok, I stand corrected.

If you like what I said love me,if you dislike what I say ignore me!

"Extra Bavaria non est vita! Et sic est vita non est ita!"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 335
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/25/2010 5:05:00 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Offworlder

England vs Germany

Experience vs the need to prove oneself.

In my book they are pretty balanced with the game being decided by the team that can withstand (rather than apply) pressure, be it mental, physical or tactical.

Really I'd say Germany are the team far more likely to win, Rooney has been anonymous apart from ranting at the fans and our defence is ****-poor. Apart from Algeria we haven't been bad, but Germany are better and can grind out results even when they play badly.

The sooner we're out of this tournament the sooner the next generation will get their chance (hopefully).

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 336
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/25/2010 5:09:04 PM   
yubari

[/quote]

Is this for real?

Leo "Apollo11"
[/quote]

Yes, entirely real. You can download the program from here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/dannybaker

It is the 23rd June 2010 program and Graham starts at about 45.30

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 337
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/25/2010 6:09:01 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Is this for real?

Yes, entirely real. You can download the program from here

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/dannybaker

It is the 23rd June 2010 program and Graham starts at about 45.30

Thanks for info!

Leo "Apollo11"

(in reply to yubari)
Post #: 338
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/25/2010 6:58:33 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper

Apollo11...our tactics are secret!
Anyhow you forget the corner tactic

BTW, here is something from "THE THREAD!!!"...

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grollub

This is an old one (Euro 2004), but it's still good; Italian soccer training

Leo "Apollo11"

Post #: 339
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/25/2010 7:14:41 PM   
Blind Sniper

quote:

BTW, here is something from "THE THREAD!!!"...

Too late! See the previous page...

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 340
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/26/2010 12:59:18 AM   
patrickl

The 2nd round.

Attachment (1)

Banner designed by rogueusmc

Post #: 341
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/26/2010 1:32:00 AM   
DivePac88

Go New Zealand, Oops We're out, gone, banished. Oh well heck, Go USA then!

When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way

(in reply to patrickl)
Post #: 342
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/26/2010 4:19:53 AM   
Cribtop

Team USA has really revived our entire nation's perception worldwide - showing a lot of what is best in the USA (and I'm realistic enough to know that we have sides other than our best).

I'm very proud of them, whether they win again or not (but they better win - I cancelled a free round of country club golf to watch their match vs Ghana tomorrow).

< Message edited by Cribtop -- 6/26/2010 4:29:18 AM >

(in reply to DivePac88)
Post #: 343
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/26/2010 6:09:29 AM   
chesmart

So Blind Sniper you where in favour of having balottelli an cassano ?

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 344
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/26/2010 8:02:15 AM   
Sardaukar

USA has really good chance to go through to semi-finals. But in semis they'd probably get either Holland or Brazil, so I cannot really see them proceed to final. 

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

(in reply to chesmart)
Post #: 345
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/26/2010 8:27:20 AM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Offworlder

England vs Germany

Experience vs the need to prove oneself.

In my book they are pretty balanced with the game being decided by the team that can withstand (rather than apply) pressure, be it mental, physical or tactical.

Really I'd say Germany are the team far more likely to win, Rooney has been anonymous apart from ranting at the fans and our defence is ****-poor. Apart from Algeria we haven't been bad, but Germany are better and can grind out results even when they play badly.

The sooner we're out of this tournament the sooner the next generation will get their chance (hopefully).

would Manchester United have beaten Bayern Munich in the Champions League like everyone thought would happen I would bet on the English this time but it turned out different so my bets are on the Germans now too. Defence of Germany isn´t a wall either though. I would rate Lahm world class, Badstuber is a talent (if he even plays), Friedrich played for Berlin last season and they made it to the last place in the league with the worst defence of all and Mertesacker seems to play a poor tournament also.

< Message edited by castor troy -- 6/26/2010 8:28:56 AM >

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 346
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/26/2010 12:38:26 PM   
Miller

You have to laugh at the English media, we were no-hopers after the Algeria game and all of a sudden we are potential winners after beating the mighty Slovenia.

Looking at the draw we are going to have to beat Germany, Argentina, Spain and Brazil to win it. Absolutely no chance.

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 347
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/26/2010 1:02:46 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Miller

You have to laugh at the English media, we were no-hopers after the Algeria game and all of a sudden we are potential winners after beating the mighty Slovenia.

Looking at the draw we are going to have to beat Germany, Argentina, Spain and Brazil to win it. Absolutely no chance.

We had no realistic chance of winning before the tournament really, although any team is a potential winner.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Miller)
Post #: 348
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/26/2010 2:22:59 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

quote:

We had no realistic chance of winning before the tournament really, although any team is a potential winner.

Any team can win the Euro Cup, ok. But not all the teams are potental winners of the WC. Look the winners. No Nigerias or Austrias (I mean, unexpected winners). Why could England win it? Basically there are FOUR reasons: Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard and Capello (a very experienced coach).

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 349
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/26/2010 3:31:47 PM   
Blind Sniper

2nd Round matches that I will try to watch in TV because I believe that they will be very interesting and no just funny (every match can be funny):
GER - ING
ESP - POR

quote:

So Blind Sniper you where in favour of having balottelli an cassano ?

Yes but...they are very difficult to control, they are hot heads.
Balotelli is very good but is a kid (really), Cassano is another Baggio (a "ball artist") but sometimes is unmanageable.
I believe that only Capello is able to control them...that's a pity because it would have been a wonderful attack

quote:

USA has really good chance to go through to semi-finals. But in semis they'd probably get either Holland or Brazil, so I cannot really see them proceed to final.

I think so, anyhow it would be good anyway.
Every year they grow up.

Possible final:
personal dream: BRA - ARG (maybe the best WC match)
bet: BRA - GER

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 350
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/26/2010 5:07:20 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

quote:

Any team can win the Euro Cup, ok. But not all the teams are potental winners of the WC. Look the winners. No Nigerias or Austrias (I mean, unexpected winners). Why could England win it? Basically there are FOUR reasons: Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard and Capello (a very experienced coach).

I'd cross Lampard off that list, he's been little better than average for England of late. A lot tomorrow depends on how Rooney and Gerrard play, unless they're both on form I can't say much hope of beating Der Germans.

Germany v Argentina would be a good game though, Argentina's attack and Maradona's 'management' vs Germany's organised teamwork

Bigger boys stole my sig

Post #: 351
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/26/2010 6:41:33 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I'd cross Lampard off that list, he's been little better than average for England of late. A lot tomorrow depends on how Rooney and Gerrard play, unless they're both on form I can't say much hope of beating Der Germans.

Germany v Argentina would be a good game though, Argentina's attack and Maradona's 'management' vs Germany's organised teamwork

My "winner" before the WC was Brazil. Then I saw the first match of the Argentinians and changed my mind. But "we have to think twice", I said to myself Maradona... bigmouth unpredictable He tried 23 players or so during the qualifications

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 352
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/26/2010 10:02:04 PM   
Dixie

quote:

My "winner" before the WC was Brazil. Then I saw the first match of the Argentinians and changed my mind. But "we have to think twice", I said to myself Maradona... bigmouth unpredictable He tried 23 players or so during the qualifications

My heart says Netherlands (and England), but my head says Brazil.

Commiserations to the US, but their defence was pretty poor tonight.

Bigger boys stole my sig

Post #: 353
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/26/2010 10:08:07 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Yes, the US didn't play very well tonight. Ghana deserved the victory so well done. Looks like I underestimated them (may posts ago). They are far better than Nigeria and Cameroun.

(in reply to Dixie)
Post #: 354
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/26/2010 10:31:36 PM   
Sardaukar

Really poor finishing from US attackers was their doom..and of course great play by Ghana goalkeeper. And deciding goal was great individual effort. 

"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Post #: 355
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/27/2010 3:34:28 AM   
Mynok

Yep, we had our chances. Ghana deserves a lot of credit because they had a good plan and executed it.

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Sardaukar)
Post #: 356
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/27/2010 5:05:27 AM   
Cribtop

We lost fair and square - eventually such porous defense will get you beat, heroics in many games notwithstanding. We never overcame that critical weakness, and in the World Cup only the best survive for long. Ghana reminded me of what my fellow wingers in youth soccer and wide receivers in American football said - speed kills. That said, Uruguay seems to me to match up perfectly against Ghana - they will absorb the quick attacks and counter with quality chances for a victory, IMHO.

I'll shift allegiance to England, then Argentina (assuming England is dispatched quickly which I fear they will be).

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 357
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/27/2010 7:00:06 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Yep, we had our chances. Ghana deserves a lot of credit because they had a good plan and executed it.

Warspite1

Mixed emotions on the result. As I wrote before on this thread, I loved the USA's never say die fighting spirit, but on the other hand, I think it's good for the tournament that an African country remains in.

For the USA there were some positives to take away; Clint Dempsey being perhaps the biggest and his stock, already high for his performances at Fulham this season, went up considerably during the World Cup.

And then there were 14......

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 358
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/27/2010 12:37:44 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I don't know if you have noticed it but we are seeing a strategic shift in this WC. Holland

On my first message I said Holland should win (a reward). But something has happened. This is NOT Holland anymore. In fact, to be honest I always considered the Dutch tactics a suicide... 3 defenders against the best squads out there

Beautiful football? Indeed! But in the end they are always forced to surrender.

This happened to Brazil after 1982 WC. This was the LAST time we could see the old, legendary Brazil. On 86 WC we could witness a "European" team (and they did not change since that date): more control, discipline, watch your back. Exactly the same thing now with Holland. If this is not temporary then we have lost a squad which produced very beautiful football (just like Brazil after 1982). Time will tell.

P.S.: needless to say, since this Holland is not playing as before, I do NOT want them to win. I mean, I don't care at all In their defense: they learned the HARD way

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 6/27/2010 12:38:48 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 359
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/27/2010 2:44:19 PM   
JohnDillworth

20 minutes to go and I know how the day will end.
England losses to Germany on Penalty kicks (this is a game steeped in tradition) and that smug little as*****, Maradona, will win and act like a smug little as*****. It's nice out, 91 and sunny, I should go to the beach, I am a fool
Go England!

Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly

Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI