Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Penalty for late withdrawal?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Penalty for late withdrawal? Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Penalty for late withdrawal? - 6/25/2010 5:05:07 PM   
Alfred

Where are you planning to send the Queen Elizabeth. She is due to be withdrawn, IIRC, in April 1942, and she really needs to berth at a size 7 port otherwise she takes an aeon to disembark.

Alfred

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 1081
writing home - 6/25/2010 6:03:21 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*******Heavily fortified bunker, USAFFE HQ, Bataan Peninsula, March 16, 1942********

Dugout Dug: <knock on bunker frame> ENTER!

Green Army Guy: Sir, the Japs have put in a heavy attack with tremendous artillery support. They have overrun the last improved position of the Eastern slope of Mariveles.

Dugout Dug: Hmmm. well, send in the reserves.

Green Army Guy: We did that alredy, sir

Dugout Dug: And the supplies?

Green Army Guy: Down to about 25,000 tons, sir.

Dugout Dug: Better get Sgt. Ostrovsky in here to take an urgent message.....

(in reply to SuluSea)
Post #: 1082
RE: writing home - 6/25/2010 6:28:25 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*******Heavily fortified bunker, USAFFE HQ, Bataan Peninsula, March 16, 1942********

Dugout Doug: <dictating with pained common-man corncob pipe expression> .....now stongly advise key personnel of USAFFE be evacuated....errr..check that....redeployed to Australia to organize the planned SWPAC command. Sign it warmly, your obediant servant <snickers a bit> blah, blah, blah...blah, blah, blah....

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 6/25/2010 6:55:31 PM >

Post #: 1083
RE: Penalty for late withdrawal? - 6/25/2010 6:29:45 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alfred

Where are you planning to send the Queen Elizabeth. She is due to be withdrawn, IIRC, in April 1942, and she really needs to berth at a size 7 port otherwise she takes an aeon to disembark.

Alfred

Oh, bloody Hell! Why does this have to be so complicated?

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1084
RE: Penalty for late withdrawal? - 6/25/2010 6:48:08 PM   
Grollub

Because compricated things folce Cap. Mandlake to think out erabolate saves. We rike!

“Not mastering metaphores is like cooking pasta when the train is delayed"

Post #: 1085
Kids stay for half price! - 6/25/2010 7:20:47 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*******Admiral King's Office, Pentagon, Washington, March 16, 1942*********

I. Dunn Cheatham, Esq.: ...yes sir, as I am sure you know, the Queen Elizabeth has the twin advantages of very large troop capacity and superlative speed, greatly reducing transit time, troop fatigue and submarine attack risk. Her chief drawback is the inability to quickly disembark a large body of troops in a small port. That is where my client's innovation comes in. <He turns to an easel which is covered in cavas. He removes the canvas with dramatic flair. There is a beautiful ink and watercolor rendering of RMS Queen Elizabeth. The title reads, "Mk I, Personnel Disembarkation Enhancement System, M&M Enterpises, Naval Support Division". <A curious trough-like ramp in Type 22A camouflage extends from the after promenade deck to the waterline in a serpentine fashion. The presenter pauses for the awe to fade, then continues>

Gentlemen! I give you the Mk I PDES water slide.......

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 6/25/2010 7:23:26 PM >

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1086
RE: Kids stay for half price! - 6/25/2010 7:30:00 PM   
Grollub

I lest my case ...

Post #: 1087
RE: Kids stay for half price! - 6/25/2010 7:35:15 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

*******Admiral King's Office, Pentagon, Washington, March 16, 1942*********

I. Dunn Cheatham, Esq.: ...yes sir, as I am sure you know, the Queen Elizabeth has the twin advantages of very large troop capacity and superlative speed, greatly reducing transit time, troop fatigue and submarine attack risk. Her chief drawback is the inability to quickly disembark a large body of troops in a small port. That is where my client's innovation comes in. <He turns to an easel which is covered in cavas. He removes the canvas with dramatic flair. There is a beautiful ink and watercolor rendering of RMS Queen Elizabeth. The title reads, "Mk I, Personnel Disembarkation Enhancement System, M&M Enterpises, Naval Support Division". <A curious trough-like ramp in Type 22A camouflage extends from the after promenade deck to the waterline in a serpentine fashion. The presenter pauses for the awe to fade, then continues>

Gentlemen! I give you the Mk I PDES water slide.......

Tsk, tsk...very poor product pitch.

The Mk I should be blaze orange and clearly unsatisfactory for disembarking troops. However, for a modest premium, the Mk II (available in Type 22A camoflage) is available. This model comes with additional tear resistance (read: Olive Drab duct tape) integrated into the new and improved design.

Post #: 1088
RE: Commerce - 6/25/2010 8:03:05 PM   
Cuttlefish

quote:

********M&M Enterprises, Military Publications Division, Sydney, March 13, 1942**********

A workman seals a crate. A label reads, "HOW TO SPOT SHIPS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING: A BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO TELLING SHIPS FROM WHALES AND OTHER THINGS YOU MIGHT FIND IN THE OCEAN, Capt. Yossarian, USAAF, c. 1942, M&M Enterprise, Military Publications Division, Sydney, Australia.....Number 100..Ship to USAAF VII Bomber Command HQ, XXXX New Edinburgh: Attn. Cpt. McGoo"

Cpt. McGoo doesn't happen to be a short chap, does he? With a large nose and a perpetual squint?

Post #: 1089
RE: Commerce - 6/25/2010 9:25:51 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cuttlefish

quote:

********M&M Enterprises, Military Publications Division, Sydney, March 13, 1942**********

A workman seals a crate. A label reads, "HOW TO SPOT SHIPS WITHOUT REALLY TRYING: A BEGINNER'S GUIDE TO TELLING SHIPS FROM WHALES AND OTHER THINGS YOU MIGHT FIND IN THE OCEAN, Capt. Yossarian, USAAF, c. 1942, M&M Enterprise, Military Publications Division, Sydney, Australia.....Number 100..Ship to USAAF VII Bomber Command HQ, XXXX New Edinburgh: Attn. Cpt. McGoo"

Cpt. McGoo doesn't happen to be a short chap, does he? With a large nose and a perpetual squint?

I can't believe someone spotted that.

(in reply to Cuttlefish)
Post #: 1090
RE: Kids stay for half price! - 6/25/2010 9:26:36 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Tsk, tsk...very poor product pitch.

The Mk I should be blaze orange and clearly unsatisfactory for disembarking troops. However, for a modest premium, the Mk II (available in Type 22A camoflage) is available. This model comes with additional tear resistance (read: Olive Drab duct tape) integrated into the new and improved design.

Evidently, you haven't heard of "Cost-Plus" contracting.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1091
RE: Kids stay for half price! - 6/26/2010 3:08:51 AM   
BrucePowers

Some is making faux wiki entries

Post #: 1092
RE: writing home - 6/26/2010 3:24:48 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

Where did you dig up a goofy name like that?

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

Post #: 1093
RE: Kids stay for half price! - 6/26/2010 5:28:40 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: BrucePowers

Some is making faux wiki entries

Do you deny that is how it works? After all, you are in the industry.

The real Wiki page is just dullsville.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost-plus_contract

(in reply to BrucePowers)
Post #: 1094
RE: writing home - 6/26/2010 5:33:32 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Onime No Kyo

quote:

Where did you dig up a goofy name like that?

I surmise you mean Dougout Doug and I think you know. Ostrovsky was either an old girlfriend or a character in a John Le Carre novel, can't remember which.

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 1095
Inbreeding - 6/26/2010 6:17:31 PM   
Cap Mandrake

The Japs are ganging up on me...meanwhile it is tea and biscuit time in India I suppose it is too late to change my mind about New Scotland?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 1096
RE: Inbreeding - 6/26/2010 6:28:16 PM   
Walloc

quote:

The Japs are ganging up on me...meanwhile it is tea and biscuit time in India I suppose it is too late to change my mind about New Scotland?

Nevah!

Save fragments, if u play that kinda game. Be happy that u have him commited there, using time and his ampb bonus is soon over. Been sorta a battle of attrition which cant be a bad thing for the allied side. Lotsa jap xAK lost.

U cant win the game in march '42 and this isnt the decisive battle. Be happy in what has been accomplished. Rarely will the initiative shift alrdy in march '42.
Dont reinforce failtures. If that is ur judgement of the situasion.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Post #: 1097
RE: Inbreeding - 6/26/2010 6:52:18 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*****Pilot's Tent, VP-72, Tanna, New and Improved New Hebrides, March 17, 1942*****

Col. "Red Mike" Edson, CO, 1st Marine Raider Bn & Acting CO, Allied Forces, Tanna: <approaches a USN Lt., jg who is rubbing his forehead after striking his head on the tent pole> What is your name Lt.?

USN Lt., jg: <He turns toward the voice. He sports a red streak on his forehead and severely crossed eyes> Who said that?

Col. "Red Mike" Edson, CO, 1st Marine Raider Bn & Acting CO, Allied Forces, Tanna: I did son. It's Col. Edson. Are you injured?

USN Lt., jg: Oh, no sir, just a little bump on the head, I'm used to it, I'll be fine. It's Lt. McGoo, sir. <closes one eye and squints while saluting>

Col. "Red Mike" Edson, CO, 1st Marine Raider Bn & Acting CO, Allied Forces, Tanna: But what about your eyes?

USN Lt., jg: Oh, no sir, they were like that before.

Col. "Red Mike" Edson, CO, 1st Marine Raider Bn & Acting CO, Allied Forces, Tanna: Where is your CO, Lt.?

USN Lt., jg: I believe he is inside the tent sir. Shall I call him?

Col. "Red Mike" Edson, CO, 1st Marine Raider Bn & Acting CO, Allied Forces, Tanna: Yes, please do.

USN Lt., jg: Cmdr. McGoo? Are you in there. There is a Colonel wants to see you.

Lt. Cmdr. McGoo: <Stumbles out of tent with thick glasses, also striking his head on the tent pole> Ouch! Lt. Cmdr. McGoo reporting as ordered, sir!

Col. "Red Mike" Edson, CO, 1st Marine Raider Bn & Acting CO, Allied Forces, Tanna: <returns salute> Is everyone around here named McGoo?

Lt. Cmdr. McGoo: Well...yes, pretty much sir, all the pilots at least. We are all kin, sir. We all volunteered together when we heard about the Jap sneak attack on February 7th.

Col. "Red Mike" Edson, CO, 1st Marine Raider Bn & Acting CO, Allied Forces, Tanna: Wait, do you mean Pearl Harbor? That was in December?

Lt. Cmdr. McGoo: Ahhm, yes sir. But we didn't hear about it till February this year when a Federal Agent came up the holler to bust up Uncle Efram's still.

Col. "Red Mike" Edson, CO, 1st Marine Raider Bn & Acting CO, Allied Forces, Tanna: So you are all related, then?

Lt. Cmdr. McGoo: Yes, sir. We are all kin. Why, cousin Lemule here, his pappy is my nephew Ezekial and his momma is my great niece and grandaughter.

Col. "Red Mike" Edson, CO, 1st Marine Raider Bn & Acting CO, Allied Forces, Tanna: Oh, Good Lord!

Lt. Cmdr. McGoo: Yes sir. The Good Lord has been kind to the McGoos. We all have our health.

Post #: 1098
RE: Inbreeding - 6/26/2010 6:57:42 PM   
Grollub

Post #: 1099
RE: Inbreeding - 6/26/2010 7:25:04 PM   
sprior

quote:

meanwhile it is tea and biscuit time in India

We're training. Thank you.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 1100
RE: Penalty for late withdrawal? - 6/26/2010 8:16:47 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Partial Japanese naval losses in the New Scotland operation.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1101
RE: Inbreeding - 6/26/2010 8:17:19 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

quote:

meanwhile it is tea and biscuit time in India

We're training. Thank you.

Anything we can get you?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1102
RE: Commerce - 6/26/2010 10:12:18 PM   
USSAmerica

quote:

quote:

quote:

I can't believe you thought no one would spot it.

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 1103
RE: Commerce - 6/26/2010 10:46:07 PM   
Grollub

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

quote:

quote:

quote:

I can't believe you thought no one would spot it.

Agreed. That reference woke many fond memories of younger years.

I can understand Cap Mandrakes frustration though, if all your search plane pilots looks like this;

Attachment (1)

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 1104
RE: Inbreeding - 6/27/2010 1:13:05 AM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

quote:

Nevah!

Save fragments, if u play that kinda game. Be happy that u have him commited there, using time and his ampb bonus is soon over. Been sorta a battle of attrition which cant be a bad thing for the allied side. Lotsa jap xAK lost.

U cant win the game in march '42 and this isnt the decisive battle. Be happy in what has been accomplished. Rarely will the initiative shift alrdy in march '42.
Dont reinforce failtures. If that is ur judgement of the situasion.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

Everything you say is true. The New Scotland campaigned has kept at least 4 Jap carriers busy, 2 or 3 BB's, at least 2 1/2 divison-equivalents of infantry and lots of transport shipping.

Their transport losses have been heavy as have the number of Zeroes destroyed on the ground and the losses to carrier aircraft have not been trivial either. If Soryu was indeed sunk, then that is just icing on the cake.

My worry now is I appear to be seriously outgunned in surface strength and the Japs can refuel (if not rearm) at Koumac. If they brush aside the 3 cruisers at Noumea with surface attacks it would be bad for the transports, though there will certainly be some damaged Jap vessels that will have to deal with SBD's on the egress. If they raid with the carrier planes they will sink something for sure but will pay a price in plane losses. One of the strengths here for the Allies is I can ferry in fresh squadrons from Suva (there are another 60 or so fighters being uncrated at Samoa).

Noumea has > 60,000 supply and loads of engineers so it would be hard to shut down the airfield. In the interim, however, I dont see any way to shut down Koumac airfield again or stop them from unloading more troops. Mercifully, (Gracias a Dios!) as it stands now, the Japs dont appear to have the strength to break through at La Foa.

A Jap base at Efate could be a real threat. Maybe I can hold on to Tanna and build up there over time. If the Japs knew how weak I am at Tahiti, that would be a bad thing. Interesting situation.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 1105
RE: Inbreeding - 6/27/2010 2:12:31 AM   
Walloc

quote:

My worry now is I appear to be seriously outgunned in surface strength and the Japs can refuel (if not rearm) at Koumac. If they brush aside the 3 cruisers at Noumea with surface attacks it would be bad for the transports, though there will certainly be some damaged Jap vessels that will have to deal with SBD's on the egress. If they raid with the carrier planes they will sink something for sure but will pay a price in plane losses. One of the strengths here for the Allies is I can ferry in fresh squadrons from Suva (there are another 60 or so fighters being uncrated at Samoa).

That was the point i was trying to make about not reinforcing failtures. If the balance of forces now are at a point where it wont be dual sided attrition, but more one sides slashing of ur forces. Then run!
Save what u can, but dont go out of ur way doing so. Sure, New Scottland might very well fall and u will lose troops there, but it will still tie significant forces down and time. It will be a while before he realize u naval forces has left and ur aggression has most likely made him weary. A fleet in being( OZ/ NZ) will tie down more forces than dead ships at the buttom of the sea.
So fight for ur life, but I'd say pick the time with care where u gain nothing more than sunken ship if u face a superior naval forces.
If u still have a fleet in being he has to choose to stay or leave. If he stays great, attack else where. If he leaves u can always go back and raise havock.
Loosing New Scottland isnt the end of the world but no point in losing that and what ever naval forces trying to defend it IF its "indefensible".

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 6/27/2010 2:15:26 AM >

Post #: 1106
RE: Inbreeding - 6/27/2010 3:07:57 AM   
BrucePowers

Mandrake has never run

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 1107
RE: Inbreeding - 6/27/2010 3:10:50 AM   
Chickenboy

quote:

*****Pilot's Tent, VP-72, Tanna, New and Improved New Hebrides, March 17, 1942*****

Col. "Red Mike" Edson, CO, 1st Marine Raider Bn & Acting CO, Allied Forces, Tanna: <approaches a USN Lt., jg who is rubbing his forehead after striking his head on the tent pole> What is your name Lt.?

USN Lt., jg: <He turns toward the voice. He sports a red streak on his forehead and severely crossed eyes> Who said that?

Col. "Red Mike" Edson, CO, 1st Marine Raider Bn & Acting CO, Allied Forces, Tanna: I did son. It's Col. Edson. Are you injured?

USN Lt., jg: Oh, no sir, just a little bump on the head, I'm used to it, I'll be fine. It's Lt. McGoo, sir. <closes one eye and squints while saluting>

Col. "Red Mike" Edson, CO, 1st Marine Raider Bn & Acting CO, Allied Forces, Tanna: But what about your eyes?

USN Lt., jg: Oh, no sir, they were like that before.

Col. "Red Mike" Edson, CO, 1st Marine Raider Bn & Acting CO, Allied Forces, Tanna: Where is your CO, Lt.?

USN Lt., jg: I believe he is inside the tent sir. Shall I call him?

Col. "Red Mike" Edson, CO, 1st Marine Raider Bn & Acting CO, Allied Forces, Tanna: Yes, please do.

USN Lt., jg: Cmdr. McGoo? Are you in there. There is a Colonel wants to see you.

Lt. Cmdr. McGoo: <Stumbles out of tent with thick glasses, also striking his head on the tent pole> Ouch! Lt. Cmdr. McGoo reporting as ordered, sir!

Col. "Red Mike" Edson, CO, 1st Marine Raider Bn & Acting CO, Allied Forces, Tanna: <returns salute> Is everyone around here named McGoo?

Lt. Cmdr. McGoo: Well...yes, pretty much sir, all the pilots at least. We are all kin, sir. We all volunteered together when we heard about the Jap sneak attack on February 7th.

Col. "Red Mike" Edson, CO, 1st Marine Raider Bn & Acting CO, Allied Forces, Tanna: Wait, do you mean Pearl Harbor? That was in December?

Lt. Cmdr. McGoo: Ahhm, yes sir. But we didn't hear about it till February this year when a Federal Agent came up the holler to bust up Uncle Efram's still.

Col. "Red Mike" Edson, CO, 1st Marine Raider Bn & Acting CO, Allied Forces, Tanna: So you are all related, then?

Lt. Cmdr. McGoo: Yes, sir. We are all kin. Why, cousin Lemule here, his pappy is my nephew Ezekial and his momma is my great niece and grandaughter.

Col. "Red Mike" Edson, CO, 1st Marine Raider Bn & Acting CO, Allied Forces, Tanna: Oh, Good Lord!

Lt. Cmdr. McGoo: Yes sir. The Good Lord has been kind to the McGoos. We all have our health.

Hmmm...zis is the vurst case of Walleye vision I haf seen. A transrectal hemipupilectomy is in order. Nurse!

(Sorry to hijack, Cap, just seeing if I can plumb the depths of your reader's movie trivia base for another aviator with incredibly poor vision...)

Post #: 1108
RE: Inbreeding - 6/27/2010 3:13:15 AM   
BrucePowers

I am drawing a blank........

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 1109
RE: Penalty for late withdrawal? - 6/27/2010 3:38:15 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Ummm....Wrongway Corrigan?

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 1110
Page:   <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Penalty for late withdrawal? Page: <<   < prev  35 36 [37] 38 39   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI