Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 2:51:19 PM   
castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

Apollo, I think they showed these replays yesterday and everyone in the stadiums could see them. That's why the day after FIFA says "don't show these images [again]".

yeah, that´s also what I´m thinking about. Because in the Argentina vs Mexico game, the players of both sides freaked out quite some time AFTER the goal for Argentina, when the Mexican players noticed it was wrong and the Argentinian players feared to lose their goal. Everyone (the players and the fans) knew it was wrong, only the two referees speaking to each other didn´t.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 421
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 2:52:52 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: castor troy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

quote:

quote:

quote:

So while the referees are wrong now and then, 70000 fans in the stadium and the players usually get 7 replays on the big screens in the stadium to confirm the referees were wrong.

Nope... the stadium screens never show the "suspicious" / "controversial" situations... this is carefully screened (so far I think that FIFA only once objected that one single not allowed - in other words "suspicious" / "controversial" situation was showed so far - it was Tevez's goal in Mexico - Argentina match)...

Thus people on stadiums are not seeing on the stadium screens what we see on our TVs regarding replays!

well, in the German Bundesliga they are and also in the Champions League for example.

This is FIFA and not UEFA...

BTW, I also think that they "filter" what they show on stadium big screens for "Champions League"... there would surely be riots if some "suspicious" / "controversial" situations are showed...

the Champions League games I´ve been at the Allianz Arena in Munich definetely showed slow motion replays, same goes for Bundesliga games.

I know they show it (replays and slow motion replays)... I saw it as well...

But I don't think that they show everything (i.e. when there are"suspicious" / "controversial" situations)... I think they filter that out in editing room...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to castor troy)
Post #: 422
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 2:54:34 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

quote:

Apollo, I think they showed these replays yesterday and everyone in the stadiums could see them. That's why the day after FIFA says "don't show these images [again]".

yeah, that´s also what I´m thinking about. Because in the Argentina vs Mexico game, the players of both sides freaked out quite some time AFTER the goal for Argentina, when the Mexican players noticed it was wrong and the Argentinian players feared to lose their goal. Everyone (the players and the fans) knew it was wrong, only the two referees speaking to each other didn´t.

Exactly!

It was Tevez's goal... this was one and only "suspicious" / "controversial" situation that was shown in all games so far (and FIFA objected to stadium editors for letting that replay on big screens)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Post #: 423
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 2:57:39 PM   
TulliusDetritus

They showed both Lampard's and Tevez' goals. Google it: Jermin Craig (FIFA boss or something like that) + Lampard + Tevez

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 424
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 3:01:59 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: Speedy

Hi guys,

England were a total joke. I knwo the disallowed goal was clearly a massive Official error and the principal stands that it should have been given and that Technology should now be used in Footbal. However, that shouldn't disguise the fact we were an atrocious team the whole tournament from  back to front. The only teams who performed worse vs potential was France and then Italy

I'm not any expert, but I enjoyed watching. I agree with those who say that the robbed goal might have been a psychological breaker, and that England might have played differently from a tie than haivng to take scoring chances from behind.

However, to my unpractised eyes, it looked like a simple case of conditioning and age. The England players were running on raw sausages by the end of the match, and the Germans looked fresh. The fast break scores the Germans achieved were, to me, simply because they were faster and thus scored against a goalkeeper, nobody else helping.

Bring on the cameras (I think you'd have a few votes here in the USA for them.) But the better team won.

The Moose

(in reply to Speedysteve)
Post #: 425
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 3:03:15 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

They showed both Lampard's and Tevez' goals. Google it: Jermin Craig (FIFA boss or something like that) + Lampard + Tevez

Hmmm... I only see quotes about what I already wrote that happened - the Tevez goal... nothing about showing Lamaprd's goal for 2:2...

quote:

FIFA to ban big-screen replays

FIFA has reacted to the controversy in the game between Argentina and Mexico - by censoring match action shown on giant screens inside stadiums.

On Sunday, replays of Argentina's disputed first goal against Mexico triggered arguments on the pitch as Mexico's players protested when Carlos Tevez was shown as being clearly offside.

FIFA spokesman Nicolas Maingot said replaying the incident was "a clear mistake." He continued: "This will be corrected and we will have a closer look into that. We will work on this and be a bit more, I would say, tight on this for the games to be played."

Maingot said FIFA had yet to receive feedback from match officials about the protests, or a fracas behind the dug-outs as the teams left the field at half-time.

Jermaine Craig of the South Africa Organising Committee said he had spoken to the broadcasting team about the incident. "The goal was awarded and it happened relatively quickly," he said. "In retrospect, maybe it shouldn't have been shown. It was shown and unfortunately there is nothing we can do about that."

Leo "Apollo11"

Post #: 426
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 3:06:42 PM   
castor troy

This clearly shows how stupid Fifa officials are though. Now imagine there´s a goal for one side and the replay isn´t shown! 70000 people inside the stadium immedietely would know that it was a clear offside, hands, a foul or whatever else that would not make it a goal.

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 427
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 3:20:14 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

This clearly shows how stupid Fifa officials are though. Now imagine there´s a goal for one side and the replay isn´t shown! 70000 people inside the stadium immedietely would know that it was a clear offside, hands, a foul or whatever else that would not make it a goal.

Very true... but better that then riot...

Again I am 100% sure that Lampard's goal wasn't shown for the spectators... the English supporters would have gone completely mad if they would have seen it on big screen on the stadium...

Leo "Apollo11"

Post #: 428
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 3:50:12 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Apollo, I saw Mr Craig's conference press. I mean the man himself speaking

Oh, and good for Holland (1 - 0)! Brazil vs Holland should be great too!

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 429
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 7:15:14 PM   
morganbj

What is this World Cup that y'all speak of? Anything important?

Post #: 430
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 7:39:58 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Apollo, I saw Mr Craig's conference press. I mean the man himself speaking

Link please (where he or someone says that they showed Lampard's goal on stadium in slow motion and that all spectators saw referee mistake right then and there)?

Leo "Apollo11"

Post #: 431
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 7:44:20 PM   
Houtje

Hooray, 2 and through for the Dutch!

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 432
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 8:07:46 PM   
AcePylut

Soccer will never catch on in the US.

I mean, this is Soccer's grand stage... the World Cup... and what do you see? 

1 Wussy soccer playing falling down screaming in agony because they were hit with a gust of wind.
2 Terrible refs allowing crap goals but disallowing good goals. 
3 A group winner with 1 victory in three games.
4 A large number of games in the Group Stage that end in ties. 
5 Whiney-ass players whining about their coaches, having to run laps, etc.  (France anyone???)

I never thought I'd see a sport with more vain Diva's than Basketball... but I was wrong.  It's soccer.

Compare this to the Stanley Cup Finals, just concluded.  Chicago had a player take a puck to the mouth and lose 7 teeth.  Good ole Duncan Teeth came back into the game a couple minutes later.  If he were a soccer player, he'd still be whining.

And yeah, don't tell me that "falling down from a gust of wind" is part of the game... because if it is, then that's why this sport will never catch on in the US.  US don't like wussies on their sports teams. 

(in reply to Houtje)
Post #: 433
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 8:54:13 PM   
anarchyintheuk

It's the generalization that all soccer players fall down/scream in agony that hurts the reputation here. If you watched England v. Germany you'd see that it isn't always the case. Some of the worst offenders in that regard are no longer in the tournament . . . . not mentioning any countries.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 434
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 9:24:01 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

Compare this to the Stanley Cup Finals, just concluded.  Chicago had a player take a puck to the mouth and lose 7 teeth.  Good ole Duncan Teeth came back into the game a couple minutes later.  If he were a soccer player, he'd still be whining.

Warspite1

Yep just like Graham Roberts in the 1981 FA Cup Final - although it was two teeth not seven - when he got kicked in the face by his team mate. Then there's Terry Butcher, Paul Ince and the West Brom guy I can't remember, Jeff Wylie? who played on with huge head wounds and blood all over the shop - no blood rule then!

What did they all have in common? Yep they all played on heroically....don't tar all footballers with the same brush.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 435
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 9:36:02 PM   
frank1970

There was a German goali who played in England and finished a game with a broken neck, not to speak of some German defender, playing with a broken leg.

Tell your "sport heroes" to take off their armour and play like real men, rugby or Australian football those guys are really hard!

If you like what I said love me,if you dislike what I say ignore me!

"Extra Bavaria non est vita! Et sic est vita non est ita!"

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 436
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 9:38:54 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Frank

There was a German goali who played in England and finished a game with a broken neck, not to speak of some German defender, playing with a broken leg.

Tell your "sport heroes" to take off their armour and play like real men, rugby or Australian football those guys are really hard!

Warspite1

Absolutely right - Bert Trautmann (Manchester City) in the 1956 (?) cup final. He was an ex-prisoner of war who liked England so much he stayed. A real gent by all accounts.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to frank1970)
Post #: 437
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 9:50:29 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Apollo, I am trying to find the video of Mr Craig's press conference (on youtube) but apparently no one uploaded it. I saw it this afternoon on TV. The guy was clearly saying that they should not have shown the goals (both matches).

Holland vs Brazil, YESSSS!

Pity Acepylut never played against the many butchers in football history You clearly haven't seen a lot of football...

** sirens ** ambulance ** hospital ** "anyone saw what happened...?"

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 6/28/2010 9:52:48 PM >

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 438
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 10:23:12 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Oh, do the German fans on these forums know Paul The Octopus? It "predicts World Cup match results [...] he has a 100 per cent record at the World Cup". Just in case you would like to know what will be its next prediction...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/sportvideo/footballvideo/7854435/England-v-Germany-Octopus-predicts-World-Cup-match-result.html

Post #: 439
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/28/2010 10:23:26 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Speaking of the SCFs, nobody watched them. Pitiful ratings. Sorry. (And I live in the State of Hockey--Minnesota.) I'd watch the NHL if they would play hockey and stop all the crap fighting (??) (More like dancing, usually.) I enjoy Olympic hockey a lot, because they actually, you know, PLAY HOCKEY. No other major sport tolerates the crap the NHL puts out every night, and, perhaps not coincidently, baseball, the NFL, and the NBA are all doing far better than the NHL in the competition for sports fans.

As for soccer, it's doing better in the USA. With the indulgence of the forum, here is a partial reprint of a post I saw on Usenet, which is a copy of a trade publication article (I think):

"U.S.-Ghana: Most-Watched FIFA World Cup Game

8.2 Rating, 14.9 Million Viewers for Team USA's Round of 16 Match

Saturday's United States-Ghana match on ABC - a 2-1 U.S. loss in extra
time, which eliminated the Americans from the tournament - is the
most-watched FIFA World Cup game among households and viewers. The 2.5
hour match window (2:30-5:12 p.m. ET) averaged an 8.2 rating,
9,455,000 households, and 14,863,000 viewers, based on fast nationals.

The U.S.-Ghana game ranks as the most-watched Men's World Cup game
ever, with only the 1999 Women's Final (U.S.-China) averaging more
households and viewers for a soccer game (11,307,000 households and
17,975,000 viewers). Additionally, the match ranks as the third
highest-rated Men's World Cup game on record, behind two matches in
1994 - 9.3 rating (U.S.-Brazil, Quarterfinal, 7/4/94) and 9.5 rating
(Italy-Brazil, Final, 7/17/94). The 1999 Women's World Cup Final
(U.S.-China) also delivered an 11.4 rating.

The U.S.-Ghana match represents increases of 11% in ratings (vs. 7.4)
and 13% in viewership (vs. 13,130,000) from ABC's highly-anticipated
U.S.-England World Cup game on June 12, which ended in a 1-1 draw.

The entire three-hour telecast (2-5:12 p.m.) -- including 30 minutes
of pre-match coverage - delivered a 7.5 household rating, 8,649,000
households, and 13,505,000 viewers.

San Diego was the top market for yesterday's Team USA game, delivering
a 15.4 rating. San Diego was the top market for all three previous
U.S. matches - vs. England (11.5, ABC), vs. Slovenia (8.5, ESPN) and
vs. Algeria (8.9, ESPN). Rounding out the top 10 for Saturday's match
were Washington, D.C. (13.8), San Francisco (13.3), Cincinnati (12.9),
Las Vegas (11.7), Austin (11.4), Columbus, Ohio (10.6), Norfolk, Va.
(10.6), Seattle-Tacoma (10.6) and West Palm Beach (10.5). . . .

. . . Through 50 games of the 2010 FIFA World Cup, the ESPN networks
(ESPN/ESPN2/ABC) are averaging a 1.8 U.S. rating, 2,081,000
households, and 2,781,000 viewers. The rating is up 48% from 2006
(1.2), while household impressions are up 54% (from 1,349,000) and
viewers are up 60% (from 1,740,000). (Note: Ratings and viewership
numbers are based on the specific match windows, not including
pre-match studio coverage.)"

From rec.arts.tv, not attributed on Usenet.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 6/28/2010 10:24:01 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 440
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/29/2010 8:33:18 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

Apollo, I am trying to find the video of Mr Craig's press conference (on youtube) but apparently no one uploaded it. I saw it this afternoon on TV. The guy was clearly saying that they should not have shown the goals (both matches).

Thanks for trying!

Although I still don't believe that they showed Lampard's disallowed goal on stadium... they might have shown regular 4:1 goals that were allowed (and that were not "controversial" / "suspicious")...

Leo "Apollo11"

Post #: 441
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/30/2010 12:16:29 AM   
traskott

Spain 1  - Portugal 0.

Paraguay, here we go !!!!!

[no more comments added as the poster is a bit drunk]

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 442
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/30/2010 7:48:12 AM   
Fletcher

Hi Traskott, I hope you could not give your orders in your game after the football match.... 
Paraguay should be a soft opponent than Portugal... we will see the next saturday.

WITP-AE, WITE

(in reply to traskott)
Post #: 443
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/30/2010 9:32:14 AM   
moose1999

quote:

Hi all,

quote:

Thanks for trying!

Although I still don't believe that they showed Lampard's disallowed goal on stadium... they might have shown regular 4:1 goals that were allowed (and that were not "controversial" / "suspicious")...

Leo "Apollo11"

For what it's worth, as I remember it the commentators on Danish TV also said the "goal" was being shown in slow motion on the stadium screen. And commented that it was unusual and against normal practice.

If it's true, it really was a bad move.

regards,

Briny

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 444
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/30/2010 9:36:28 AM   
traskott

Well, Turn from vanilla WitP arrived, but with wrong file, looks like I wasn't the only spaniard a bit drank yesterday....

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 445
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/30/2010 2:43:13 PM   
AcePylut

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Speaking of the SCFs, nobody watched them. Pitiful ratings. Sorry. (And I live in the State of Hockey--Minnesota.) I'd watch the NHL if they would play hockey and stop all the crap fighting (??) (More like dancing, usually.) I enjoy Olympic hockey a lot, because they actually, you know, PLAY HOCKEY. No other major sport tolerates the crap the NHL puts out every night, and, perhaps not coincidently, baseball, the NFL, and the NBA are all doing far better than the NHL in the competition for sports fans.

Perhasp you were around when fighting was made illegal in hockey, and the sport nearly failed becasue there was nothing to stop players from using their sticks as bats. Injuries skyrocketed. Sorry, but every time I hear some "hockey fan" complain about fighting in hockey, it tells me they really don't understand the sport.

SOCCER tolerates the crap that the soccer puts out. What crap referee-ing. Really, how many disputed goals were there? I wonder what the game would have looked like had England tied Germany in the 38th minute, but nope, bad ref says no, and the game is decided. No replay. Oh wait, I think another soccer player just fell down screaming in agony because an opponent touched him with his pinky finger.

It's too bad, because I like soccer. I want it to succeed in the US. I even lettered in Soccer in college. But this sport will forever be a flash-in-the-pan for the US. Seriously, go backc to '94 US World Cup. Soccer was "coming into popularity in the US" back then. It was going to be "huge in the US in a couple years" thanks to '94. Never happened. We hear this "just around the corner" every 4 years, and every 4 years, after the World Cup, it sinks back into the background.

< Message edited by AcePylut -- 6/30/2010 3:40:37 PM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 446
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/30/2010 4:08:52 PM   
Terminus

It's funny how it's always "just around the corner" with these things, no?

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to AcePylut)
Post #: 447
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/30/2010 6:45:55 PM   
Blind Sniper

Congrats to Spain

quote:

Paraguay should be a soft opponent than Portugal... we will see the next saturday.

I think so. Your team is more stronger.

quote:

Well, Turn from vanilla WitP arrived, but with wrong file, looks like I wasn't the only spaniard a bit drank yesterday....

I was in a pub watching the match...I know what you mean

WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 448
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/30/2010 8:59:16 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Well, Paul the Octopus has already predicted the next German result. According to him, Germany will defeat Argentina

(in reply to Blind Sniper)
Post #: 449
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 6/30/2010 10:48:01 PM   
AcePylut

Yeah, ok, sorry guys for ranting, I"m done ranting. 

I think I'm going to root for Argentina the rest of the way.

Post #: 450
Page:   <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa Page: <<   < prev  13 14 [15] 16 17   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI