Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ship Designer

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Ship Designer Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ship Designer - 7/3/2010 11:13:29 AM   
Hwitt9

I am confused.
Is there somewhere a description, which ship types and station types which components need?
I have there a problem with the defensebase and the resortbase in a new started game.
Both bases had by the start, with the standard default, a size from more than 650k. Because one can build, however, only maximum 600k, I have removed in both station types the cargo holds. Because I thought, they are not required with these types.
However, unfortunately, there do not function the Resortbases. Though I can build that, but passengers never come.
Does it add somewhere a help?
Post #: 1
RE: Ship Designer - 7/3/2010 12:07:35 PM   
caerr

In my experience, resort base needs passenger compartments for holding tourists in. There is no warning for omitting passenger compartments from the design though. Typically the warning screen notifies you of any critical flaws in the ship design.

I would very much like to know why the cargo bays are there, I typically remove them from all my stations (except ones that actually handle a lot of cargo, like mining stations).

Possibly commerce, medical and recreation centers are used as well. Not sure about those, but they're included in the default design and might influence tourist income. edit: (checked in-game and com and rec are considered critical for resort base, medical however is not)

Resort bases are a bit tricky beast in general, in some games I've had a single resort base bringing around 30k income (it was sieged by transport ships all the time). And in some games I've just had a few k's of resort income despite of having lots of resort bases around. I think proximity to major colonies is a big issue.

< Message edited by caerr -- 7/3/2010 12:22:03 PM >

(in reply to Hwitt9)
Post #: 2
RE: Ship Designer - 7/3/2010 2:24:59 PM   
lordxorn

Yes resort bases need to be near a scenic location that gives such bonus, ie. Black Hole., plus they have to be close enough to your colonies.
Recreation centers are like hotels, so no need to passenger modules.

(in reply to caerr)
Post #: 3
RE: Ship Designer - 7/3/2010 8:35:10 PM   
caerr

Passenger modules aren't needed? Good, I'll save a few extra credits in upkeep, possibly remove the med bay too.

(in reply to lordxorn)
Post #: 4
RE: Ship Designer - 7/4/2010 3:07:13 AM   
Falokis

quote:

ORIGINAL: caerr

Passenger modules aren't needed? Good, I'll save a few extra credits in upkeep, possibly remove the med bay too.
Hospitals are only useful to troops carrying planets or ships, if I'm not mistaken.

(in reply to caerr)
Post #: 5
RE: Ship Designer - 7/4/2010 5:02:27 AM   
Gommer

quote:

ORIGINAL: Falokis

Hospitals are only useful to troops carrying planets or ships, if I'm not mistaken.

I read that having a Hospital and Rec Center on your Port will enhance colonies, growth or happiness, something like that. Check the War & Strategy forums.

As to the OP: It's all about the Role you select for the design you're going to work on. When you select the Role the top-middle panel will list many types of Components in red, those are required to make a design able to perform the job you're designing it for.

Heck, if you are nearly done with a design and decide it needs more of XXX or YYY, and add enough modules to bump the Crew requirements past current Habitation and Lifesupport capacity, it'll add Hab Modules and LS Modules back on to the requirements list until you've got enough again. Very nice design system, pitty it doesn't save you from just plain stupid designs, just incomplete ones.

(in reply to Falokis)
Post #: 6
RE: Ship Designer - 7/4/2010 10:25:10 AM   
Canute0

Recreation, increase Population happyness, needed for Resort station
Medical, increase Population happyness, maybe heals wounded troups on planet/ships (unconfirmed).

Resort center, you can build them everywhere, but only at Scenic locations (Press F5 for Map, select scencic on the pull down) they are working. They dont need to be close to your Colonies because ANY friendly race will come.

When your design is to big on startup, don't remove just only Cargohold. A Resort station don't need weapons and only 1 shield are enough, special on startup.  Later i use Resort station as forward Monitor stations with longrange scanners.

(in reply to Gommer)
Post #: 7
RE: Ship Designer - 7/4/2010 11:57:32 AM   
caerr

Regarding med centers in resort bases, I've noticed that only races above moderately intelligent add them. I wonder why, hopefully it doesn't make me stupid for removing them.

(in reply to Canute0)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Ship Designer Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI