Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/3/2010 7:57:03 PM   
chesmart

Deutschland über alles

(in reply to RHoenig)
Post #: 481
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/3/2010 9:54:14 PM   
tocaff

Tough loss for little Paraguay giving Spain the spot everyone thought they'd be in.

I've followed Uruguay since WC Qualifiers and they are good. Now they'll need luck too.

Netherlands and Germany for the finals?

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to chesmart)
Post #: 482
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/4/2010 9:00:28 AM   
moonraker65

Yes looks like a repeat of the 1974 final. But Spain will be tougher opponents for the Germans and that will hopefully see them beaten at last.

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 483
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/4/2010 9:20:07 AM   
Historiker

Don't you want to have your team in good company?

Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson

(in reply to moonraker65)
Post #: 484
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/4/2010 12:34:37 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Attachment (1)

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

(in reply to Historiker)
Post #: 485
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/4/2010 4:51:52 PM   
Cribtop

To me, it's impossible NOT to pull for the Germans in this thing. Exciting, young, no egos. They are a machine, but not a boring, mechanical machine. You sense a system at work. Personally, I think Spain needs to admit that Torres isn't 100%. Still, even though Spain has looked suspect, don't forget they have been forced to play against sides in full defensive lockdown mode. That won't be true against Germany.

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 486
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/4/2010 6:11:46 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Cribtop, even if Torres is not 100%, he can be useful. The defenders cannot pretend that he will be harmless. He could show up and do what he is supposed to do: terrorising defenders. In the last Euro Cup final vs Germany he was not great but scored the winning goal. So you never know

Germans will be losing Müller. And that is a very important loss. The current German squad is better than the one on 2008. Ozil and Müller are the main reason. Kudos to Low for bringing fresh blood: two excellent young players who have really improved the German game!

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 7/4/2010 6:19:03 PM >

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 487
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/4/2010 6:31:07 PM   
Cribtop

True enough re Torres, but he just doesn't look right. The Muller yellow was absurd. Such a shame to knock out a key player for what promises to be a classic match.

Post #: 488
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/4/2010 8:53:43 PM   
Saburo Kurusu

Go Germany, go!!!!!!!!!!!   

If someone would have told me before, that we could win that easily against England and Argentina, I would have declared him crazy/insane/lunatic/debile/mentally ill/disturbed/retarded/struck with mad cow disease/hit on the head by a pot of flowers falling down from a 20th floor balcony etc.......

(in reply to Cribtop)
Post #: 489
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/4/2010 9:04:01 PM   
vinnie71

And everyone forgets that Germany is missing Ballack...

THANK GOD!

Which is why I think they're doing fine. No prima donna expecting everyone to play for them. Isn't it funny that all the teams with big names are failing miserably??? Some would say the Dutch have big names too, but they are a cohesive team where even big names serve the team, not vice versa (applies to Uruguay too). If there is a lesson to learn from this WC it is that teamwork is the primary ingredient in football rather than reliance on self serving individuals.  

(in reply to Saburo Kurusu)
Post #: 490
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/4/2010 9:11:37 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Offworlder

........if there is a lesson to learn from this WC it is that teamwork is the primary ingredient in football rather than reliance on self serving individuals.  

Warspite1

Offworlder, if you bump into him, perhaps you can please remind Fabio Capello of that before the Euro qualifiers start?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 491
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/4/2010 9:24:12 PM   
Terminus

quote:

And everyone forgets that Germany is missing Ballack...

THANK GOD!

Which is why I think they're doing fine. No prima donna expecting everyone to play for them. Isn't it funny that all the teams with big names are failing miserably??? Some would say the Dutch have big names too, but they are a cohesive team where even big names serve the team, not vice versa (applies to Uruguay too). If there is a lesson to learn from this WC it is that teamwork is the primary ingredient in football rather than reliance on self serving individuals.  

Too bad that lesson won't be learned.

We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 492
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/4/2010 11:18:47 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I didn't know Ballack was a prima donna. But I know the guy is quite unlucky. Or should I say he is a jinx?

Check his statistics. When he has played a final (Champions League, Euro Cup, etc.) his team has ALWAYS lost... Guess why Germany does not want him

(in reply to Terminus)
Post #: 493
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/5/2010 10:44:34 AM   
vinnie71

Warspite - I should be in London next week, guess I can find him there?
Terminus - True enough. Prima donnas tend to attract undue attention and adulation. Pity that very few stand up the test of time and circumstances and tend to blame everyone else for a debacle (Cannavaro anyone????)
Tullius - actually he's both a prima donna and a jinx! With the national squad he tends to have the media attention. Many seem to equate him with a Matthaus which in my humble opinion, is really a bad comparison. The latter was a very good player, an excellent leader even if on a personal basis, many said that he was a jerk (strong personality maybe?). Ballak is none of the above, just a decent player with a powerful shot. Its not that Germany is lacking in that department anyhow (never did really).

Post #: 494
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/5/2010 2:07:11 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

OMG!

Paul the octopus choose the Spain as winner... he never choose wrongly before (in all 5 games that Germany played Paul the octopus predicted 4 German wins and 1 defeat so far = 100% accurate)...

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 495
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/5/2010 2:30:38 PM   
TulliusDetritus

If the sucker could only predict the Euromillions winning numbers I have a nice aquarium (well, I am lying, but I would buy one) so I could kidnap him...

Apollo, are you sure you haven't seen the photoshoped version? It was the Serbia vs Germany photo (but with a photoshoped Spanish flag).

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 496
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/5/2010 2:39:12 PM   
BShaftoe

One question: are the "new" german midfielders good, defensively speaking?

Post #: 497
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/5/2010 2:50:05 PM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

If the sucker could only predict the Euromillions winning numbers I have a nice aquarium (well, I am lying, but I would buy one) so I could kidnap him...

Apollo, are you sure you haven't seen the photoshoped version? It was the Serbia vs Germany photo (but with a photoshoped Spanish flag).

So it was a hoax (i.e. Paul the octopus didn't decide yet)?

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

Post #: 498
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/5/2010 3:29:00 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I think it is a hoax, Apollo

A lot of people on the interweb are saying that this was the Serbia vs Germany photo (only German defeat). I haven't found the original though.

quote:

ORIGINAL: BShaftoe

I guess that's a rhetoric question, since you have to know that these "new" players are not destroyers à la Mascherano, Makelele, etc. They are creative (and thus offensive) players.

EDITED: I found the original =>

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 7/5/2010 3:41:21 PM >

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 499
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/5/2010 3:43:43 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Attachment (1)

Post #: 500
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/5/2010 3:48:04 PM   
frank1970

quote:

ORIGINAL: BShaftoe

Samy Khedira and Sebastian Schweinsteiger(possibly the best defensive midfielder in this tournament) definitifely are . Müller is doing defence work, Podolski doesn´t like that at all (und usually doesn´t help out in defence). Ösil is a offensive player though.
All of them know how to play a pass and how to score though.

If you like what I said love me,if you dislike what I say ignore me!

"Extra Bavaria non est vita! Et sic est vita non est ita!"

(in reply to BShaftoe)
Post #: 501
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/5/2010 6:27:28 PM   
vinnie71

Germany's midfield is rather eclectic and flexible. Except for Osil, all are capable of defending or at least doubling an adversary, which is a huge advantage. Heck even Klose sometimes can be found chasing adversaries for the ball

Btw if Paul the octopus screws up, send him to Malta on 'vacation'. Here he'll meet a lot of his friends...

(in reply to frank1970)
Post #: 502
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/5/2010 6:53:44 PM   
chesmart

?

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 503
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/5/2010 9:00:41 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

Germany's midfield is rather eclectic and flexible. Except for Osil, all are capable of defending or at least doubling an adversary, which is a huge advantage. Heck even Klose sometimes can be found chasing adversaries for the ball

Btw if Paul the octopus screws up, send him to Malta on 'vacation'. Here he'll meet a lot of his friends...

Well, even a pure striker as Samuel Eto'o could defend, true... Against Barcelona (Champions League semi-final) and Bayern München (final) Mourinho made him play as a right winger But this does not mean he will be good at that "new" job. You will hardly find very good creative midfielders who are very good destructive midfielders. It's either one thing or the other. And above all, you cannot do both things at the same time. So you need a creative and destructive guy. Different guys, different (and important) tasks.

(in reply to vinnie71)
Post #: 504
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/5/2010 9:35:43 PM   
Fletcher

Nobody thinking in a Spanish victory ?? .. I know germans are an amazing team, but in the Spanish team we have Villa, Iniesta, Torres (he is not in his best momments, of course), Sergio Ramos, Pique, Xavi Alonso, Xavi, Casillas...great players with a great trayectory, they are the European Soccer Coup winners... I don´t know if anybody have faith in spanish possibilities or no spanish here to defend our team :)

Best wishes and good luck for Germany the next Wednesday :)
ramón

WITP-AE, WITE

Post #: 505
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/5/2010 9:57:12 PM   
vinnie71

quote:

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

quote:

Well, even a pure striker as Samuel Eto'o could defend, true... Against Barcelona (Champions League semi-final) and Bayern München (final) Mourinho made him play as a right winger But this does not mean he will be good at that "new" job. You will hardly find very good creative midfielders who are very good destructive midfielders. It's either one thing or the other. And above all, you cannot do both things at the same time. So you need a creative and destructive guy. Different guys, different (and important) tasks.

True enough. But never underestimate the fact that even a creative midfielder hovering at your back or doubling you, exerts that certain pressure on anyone who's with the ball. The truth is that more often than not its Schweinsteiger who recovers (and proposes) balls in the midfield. As I said, the German midfielders do seem to double back many times leaving little space for their adversaries and basically clogging the midfield.

Btw Fletcher I think that on paper the Spanish team can be superior - more experience, an ability to find a way through somehow and a coach who is ready to make tough calls when needed. I mean the guy doesn't look at the name but at the requirements of that particular game, even though he espouses a certain football mentality. It takes guts to go up in front of the press after the loss to Switzerland, say it was mostly bad luck (which it kind of was) and that he's not going to change because of that.

Post #: 506
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/5/2010 10:03:04 PM   
Dixie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fletcher

Nobody thinking in a Spanish victory ?? .. I know germans are an amazing team, but in the Spanish team we have Villa, Iniesta, Torres (he is not in his best momments, of course), Sergio Ramos, Pique, Xavi Alonso, Xavi, Casillas...great players with a great trayectory, they are the European Soccer Coup winners... I don´t know if anybody have faith in spanish possibilities or no spanish here to defend our team :)

ramón

You've got the better side on paper, but how often do the Spanish fall short at the major tournaments? I'm looking forward to the match, the Germans have been ruthless in front of goal so there might be plenty more to come.

Bigger boys stole my sig

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 507
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/5/2010 10:17:48 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fletcher

ramón

Warspite1

As a neutral I just hope its a really good, open game and may the best team win (and whoever it is then lose to Holland in the Final ).

Against my better judgement (I NEVER bet against the Germans) I actually think the Spanish will win this time. The Germans go into the semi on the back of two resounding victories against two former winners of the tournament, while Spain have yet to hit the form everyone knows they are capable of. I just have a sneaking suspicion that the Germans have peaked too soon, but we'll see.....

P.S you have probably been asked this before so apologies but I am curious. Why the name Fletcher and the liking for the Royal Navy (good choice by the way )?

Thanks.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Fletcher)
Post #: 508
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/5/2010 10:42:18 PM   
TulliusDetritus

Fletcher, 2 years ago there was a Euro Cup 2008 thread on the General Discussions of Matrix forums. I remember very well that my prediction for the final (à la Paul The Octopus) was : 60% Spain - 40% Germany. Somehow my reasoning was right.

But now, two years later the German side has really improved: the young players mentioned above (credit goes obviously to their intelligent and bold coach: Mr Löw). So now I would say 50% - 50%

Dixie, as for "but how often do the Spanish fall short at the major tournaments", I think the Spaniards have broken that barrier. How? Defeating both the Italians and Germans on 2008. I guess it's exactly like Holland right now. I don't think they will implode and they should be defeating (I hope!) Uruguay, and then either Germany or Spain (I hope again!).

I suspect Germany vs Spain will NOT be an easy ride at all... It should not be an easy ride if both squads deploy their excellent football. You do NOT know what German or Spanish squad will play on wednesday. The German squad that trashed England and Argentina or the one that lost to Serbia and struggled with Ghana? The Spanish squad which struggled with ULTRA defensive sides or the one that trashed Poland 6 - 0 one week before the WC? We don't know

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 509
RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa - 7/6/2010 12:03:15 AM   
Fletcher

quote:

P.S you have probably been asked this before so apologies but I am curious. Why the name Fletcher and the liking for the Royal Navy (good choice by the way )?

Thanks.

Hello Warspite1,
About your curiosity about my nickname, RADM. Frank J. Fletcher is one of my favourites naval leaders in the first stage of the Pacific War...For the other hands I am an Royal Navy Fanboy from many years and I like so much the Royal Navy History in the second world war that I have my favourites ships, between them HMS DEVONSHIRE ( A County Class "Washington Treaty" Heavy Cruiser ). Other choice could be HMS ARK ROYAL, but this carrier never was in the Indian Ocean (she was sunk near Gibraltar in november 1941).
In spite of my nicknames and avatar I am playing like japanese (to add more confusion if possible )... I hope I can end my game against Cantona in 1945 to begin a new campaign like Allied (my favourite side) ..but I must to wait :)

Thank you for your posting about Soccer World Champion, TulliusDetritus, I am not a football follower really, but I am very surprised with all opinion here without any support for spanish team.. They played very well, they had bad luck with Switzerland, ... all right, I am sure that the next game vs German will be very difficult and Spain can lost the match..I hope they win :)

Thanks
Ramón

WITP-AE, WITE

Post #: 510
Page:   <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT World Cup 2010 South Africa Page: <<   < prev  15 16 [17] 18 19   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI