Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Grants & 60mm Mortors

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Grants & 60mm Mortors Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Grants & 60mm Mortors - 12/1/2000 4:51:00 AM   
BlitzSS

I’m been working on some N. Africa scens maybe even eventually a Campaign. In doing such I’ve run across many things. Someone has already mentioned that the Grant tanks 75mm acts as if it is in a top turret(360 rather then a 120 degree traverse). I’ve also noticed that this same gun out ranges the 37mm (range of 30 hexes) by 5 hexes. I can try to research this again, or try to find my old tables from when I made PZ Leader counters with Grant/Lee tanks. What I found went against what my instincts told me, and that is that the 37mm (in the Grant/Lee tank only, and not the Sherman’s 75) out ranged the 75mm. This was mostly, if not entirely, due to the optics, because the fact that the 75mm gun was hurriedly fitted into this framework to race this badly needed retrofit out to N. Africa (Imagine only having Crusaders, ahh!). I’m also looking at a quirk with the Grants usage of 75mm ammo. Hopefully I can play test some more in the next few nights and that will jar my memory to some of the other quirks I’ve stumbled upon.

"Nuts"
Post #: 1
- 12/1/2000 5:19:00 AM   
BlitzSS

Reading MG34 breakdown just reminded me of one of things that I noticed at lot of other gamers are doing too: Turning off ‘Weapons break down’. I like the concept and in fact leave vehicle breakdown on, but weapons break down seems to be too harsh.

"Nuts"

(in reply to BlitzSS)
Post #: 2
- 12/2/2000 4:57:00 AM   
Colonel Klink

quote:

Originally posted by BlitzSS: I’ve also noticed that this same gun out ranges the 37mm (range of 30 hexes) by 5 hexes. I can try to research this again, or try to find my old tables from when I made PZ Leader counters with Grant/Lee tanks. What I found went against what my instincts told me, and that is that the 37mm (in the Grant/Lee tank only, and not the Sherman’s 75) out ranged the 75mm. This was mostly, if not entirely, due to the optics, because the fact that the 75mm gun was hurriedly fitted into this framework to race this badly needed retrofit out to N. Africa
hey blitz, just a confirmation that you aren't going nuts. i pulled out my old AH tobruk game and checked the ranges for the grant tank. (Desert has always been my fav theatre and not coincidently the grant and pzIIIj my favorite tanks). The 37mmM6 has a max range of 2025 meters (27 hex range at 75 metres per hex) while the 75mmM2 has a max range of 1750 metres (17 hexes). happy hunting

(in reply to BlitzSS)
Post #: 3
- 12/2/2000 4:11:00 PM   
Arralen

quote:

Originally posted by BlitzSS: ..Someone has already mentioned that the Grant tanks 75mm acts as if it is in a top turret(360 rather then a 120 degree traverse). I’ve also noticed that this same gun out ranges the 37mm (range of 30 hexes) by 5 hexes.
Are you using the British OOB? The Grant in this OOB still hasn't got the 75mm in weapon slot 4 (downmost) .. but only this slot is supposed to be "fixed forward". Ranges, accuracies etc. are still an issue with all OOBs, but I doubt we will ever get it all fixed Arralen

AMD FX-4300
Gigabyte 970A-DS3P
Kingston 24GB DDR3-1600 (PC3-12800)
Asus GTX 750 Ti OC 2GB GDDR5
Seagate Barracuda SATA III 1TB
Windows 8.1

(in reply to BlitzSS)
Post #: 4
- 12/3/2000 12:42:00 PM   
BlitzSS

Hey Klink, thanks for data; I knew I wasn’t crazy (just nuts). North Africa has always been my favorite campaign too. I also noticed that the OOBs have the 50mm PAK ranging to 50 hexes! Lining up the old guns sights, out ranges your PZ IIIj’s optics. I’ve been fine-tuning these scenarios and changing (OOBs) ranges on some key units will affect the games balance. Grants when they run out of AP lob some effective HE! I had 2 Grants breakdown in a row, while running wide open in sand, during play testing. In good terrain this must be rare, unlike weapons breakdown, because I haven’t seen that happen to any of these unit before. What is the general consensus on OOBs?

"Nuts"

(in reply to BlitzSS)
Post #: 5
- 12/3/2000 12:42:00 PM   
BlitzSS

Hey Klink, thanks for data; I knew I wasn’t crazy (just nuts). North Africa has always been my favorite campaign too. I also noticed that the OOBs have the 50mm PAK ranging to 50 hexes! Lining up the old guns sights, out ranges your PZ IIIj’s optics. I’ve been fine-tuning these scenarios and changing (OOBs) ranges on some key units will affect the games balance. Grants when they run out of AP lob some effective HE! I had 2 Grants breakdown in a row, while running wide open in sand, during play testing. In good terrain this must be rare, unlike weapons breakdown, because I haven’t seen that happen to any of these unit before. What is the general consensus on OOBs?

"Nuts"

(in reply to BlitzSS)
Post #: 6
- 12/5/2000 12:45:00 AM   
BillSeurer

My Father-in-law was a tank driver (Chafees? I think, he was in a US recon outfit) in WWII and he lost two tanks to mechanical breakdown both of them while driving on roads. One time the transmission decided to become metal filings and I don't remember the other. BTW, he never had trouble with the guns. Based on my SPWaW play the biggest danger to my own tanks is their main gun breaking down!

(in reply to BlitzSS)
Post #: 7
- 12/5/2000 3:01:00 AM   
BlitzSS

In some earlier topics I was seeing a lot of input stating that the guys turn off (at least some of the time) weapons breakdown.

"Nuts"

(in reply to BlitzSS)
Post #: 8
- 12/7/2000 5:13:00 AM   
john g

quote:

Originally posted by BillSeurer: My Father-in-law was a tank driver (Chafees? I think, he was in a US recon outfit) in WWII and he lost two tanks to mechanical breakdown both of them while driving on roads. One time the transmission decided to become metal filings and I don't remember the other. BTW, he never had trouble with the guns. Based on my SPWaW play the biggest danger to my own tanks is their main gun breaking down!
Back in my days of playing Squad Leader, what turned me off to the game was a play thru of "Paw of the Tiger", where a trio of German tanks and a 37 at gun try to hold off several dozen T34s, by the end of turn 4 as the German player I had all the tank main guns broken down, 2 of them permanently. At that point I resigned (that 37mm wasn't going to stop all the Soviet tanks) and vowed to never play SL again. Thus far I haven't yet seen where all the main guns break playing SPWaW, though I haven't seen a gun come back from the dead, the way that an immob vehicle will start up again. Even with all its guns broken down (happened quite a few times to me) a tank can still capture victory hexes, can still carry infantry, can still scout for enemy positions... Just because they can't shoot back doesn't mean that they are useless. thanks, John.

(in reply to BlitzSS)
Post #: 9
- 12/7/2000 10:13:00 AM   
Mike Rothery

Instead of weapons failures, why not have dud rounds instead. You could have a random percantage of dud rounds that fail to fire, but use up one shot. Next shot everythings OK. The other headache for tank crews was knowing what ammo to load next. You fire at a tank...the commander yells load sabot...then some enemy infantry pop up! From what I recall, doctrine is that if the enemy knows your location you just fire whatever you have loaded, as it takes significantly longer to unload the wrong shell and put in your new choice. This is probably too much detail for a game this scale though.

MikeR

(in reply to BlitzSS)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Grants & 60mm Mortors Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI