Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Bendover Field

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Bendover Field Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Bendover Field - 7/12/2010 5:56:45 AM   
Cap Mandrake

Lord Admiral Sprior:

Regarding the unladen convoy that was about 120 mi. out from Darwin, I was concerned that the CO of the convoy had not got the memo about the Jap carriers 160 mi. away. I sent them back to the fighter cover of Darwin. If this was a brilliantly timed breakout attempt, anticipating the retreat of the carriers the, I apologize. I ddin't want to bother you during the World Cup finals. <insert 1942 simley here>

As to your notion of an offensive endeavor in Burma, if you mean a land push down the coast with enigneers to build up Akyab and Cox's Bazaar, I think it could work. I think you will run out of momentum when you hit the Jungle SE of Akyab. If you mean a much more energetic landing on the Thai coast or near Rangoon, I think it would be premature as Johnny Jap's land based air would wreak havoc.

Of course, anything you could do to atract the IJN away from the South Pacific would be nice.<insert 1942 simley here>

Warmly;

Fleet Admiral Mandrake
Former 2nd runner up, Kansas State Fair
Racing at 125 lbs./Arcero/Pink with Blue trim

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1261
RE: Bendover Field - 7/12/2010 8:44:27 AM   
sprior

If this was a brilliantly timed breakout attempt

Of course it was.

If you mean a much more energetic landing on the Thai coast or near Rangoon

I don't have enough war canoes for this. It would be overland jumping off from that base that begins with a K to the SW of Imphal. Sadly I have a total of 20 transport planes in SEAC and I'm not sure that's enough for a multi-division sortie into the jungles of Burma.

"Grown ups are what's left when skool is finished."
"History started badly and hav been geting steadily worse."
- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Cap Mandrake)
Post #: 1262
Timor Sea - 7/12/2010 7:49:38 PM   
Cap Mandrake

It would seem the LYB's aren't happy with the PI and the DEI, Burma and half of China. Mauritius is lucky to escape with one non penetrating hit. Possibly, the Jap carrier planes are now being piloted by impressionable teenagers convinced of their moral and social superiority. These don't seem the same boys who were whacking USN cruisers at the start of the war.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 7/12/2010 8:29:05 PM >

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1263
RE: Timor Sea - 7/12/2010 9:55:02 PM   
sprior

Those BBs are Mutsu and Ise. At least according to my bomber pilots.

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 1264
RE: Timor Sea - 7/12/2010 9:55:52 PM   
Mynok

Can't be teenagers. All the ones I know think they are invincible.

I think you just met the Japanese Magoo-san air unit(s).....

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

Post #: 1265
RE: Timor Sea - 7/12/2010 10:58:13 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Those BBs are Mutsu and Ise. At least according to my bomber pilots.

Ah, yes. Technically, when I said "unidentified" what I really meant was "I can't remember" I think they were the same BB's your DD's ran into near Koepang but I can't remember that either.

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1266
RE: Timor Sea - 7/12/2010 11:30:57 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mynok

Can't be teenagers. All the ones I know think they are invincible.

I think you just met the Japanese Magoo-san air unit(s).....

Probably those damn Ainu

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 1267
RE: Timor Sea - 7/13/2010 3:43:16 AM   
USSAmerica

Cap, you never disappoint.  

Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie

Post #: 1268
RE: Timor Sea - 7/15/2010 12:52:44 PM   
sprior

Nearly slipped into the Siberia that is page 2...

Meanwhile, back at the ranch:

April 5th 1941

JJ has got really PO-ed with Ambon and is landing the 6th Gurads Div there. The CD guns got a few of the buggers ebefore their feet got dry.

Then this happens:

Pre-Invasion action off Broome

4 Coastal gun shots fired in defense.

Japanese Ships
DD Tsuga
DD Hasu
xAK Osaka Maru

Japanese ground losses:
17 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

DD Tsuga firing at Broome RAN Base Force
DD Hasu firing at Broome RAN Base Force
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 5,000 yards
Defensive Guns fire at approaching troops in landing craft at 2,000 yards

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Amphibious Assault at Broome

TF 226 troops unloading over beach at Broome, 62,127

Japanese ground losses:
Guns lost 2 (2 destroyed, 0 disabled)

70mm T92 Howitzer accidentally lost during unload of Kure 2nd SNLF /2
75mm Infantry Gun damaged beyond repair during unload of Kure 2nd SNLF /4

Looks like JJ is going to try and cut Darwin off by sea. Sensible move but annoying. Fortunately Darwin is stocked up for a long siege.

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to USSAmerica)
Post #: 1269
RE: Timor Sea - 7/15/2010 4:38:17 PM   
BrucePowers

Yes but it looks like Broome is going down.......

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1270
Service Sector - 7/15/2010 6:04:39 PM   
Cap Mandrake

*******Japanese Beachead, near Broome, April 5, 1942*********

Amid a swarm of activity, several dozen Japanese artillerymen struggle fruitlessly to free two field pieces stuck in gelationous mud up to their hubs.

A western-looking man in an orange helmet stands beside a lane over the beach which which has been laid off in orange tape. He has a whistle and flags and apears to be directing the landing craft One cant be sure but it sure looks like he wears a USN uniform. A sign reads "NO GO AREA: HEAVY MUD/M&M ENTERPRISES BEACHMASTERS FOR HIRE"

Japanese Officer: Where boss? This crap! Rook at my guns!

Beachmaster for hire: Look pal. I can't help it if your guys can't read. <points to sign>

Japanese Officer: But sign in Engrish!

Beachmaster for hire: That's right, pal. It's in "Engrish" because that is what the contract specifies. There is a 20% surcharge for translation. Take it up with your boy Yamashita. He's a cheapskate. No recon. bare bones contract. This is what you get, pal! You'd best get your boys moving, the tide is going out and coverage ends at noon. <blows whistle and points flag at errant vehicle> STAY OUT OF THE MUD YOU DUMB ASS! Madre de Dios! These boys make the 32nd Div look like veterans. HEY, CHINAMAN...YEAH YOU...ROOKY HERE...DRIVEY THERE....

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 7/15/2010 6:47:45 PM >

Post #: 1271
RE: Service Sector - 7/15/2010 8:44:05 PM   
Moondawggie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

*******Japanese Beachead, near Broome, April 5, 1942*********

Amid a swarm of activity, several dozen Japanese artillerymen struggle fruitlessly to free two field pieces stuck in gelationous mud up to their hubs.

Perhaps that young Ainu Torpedo pilot could drop some his Dad's straw collection onto the mud near the immobilized guns?

Desperate times call for desperate actions!

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg

Post #: 1272
RE: Service Sector - 7/15/2010 9:57:12 PM   
Mynok

That's right, pal. It's in "Engrish" because that is what the contract specifies. There is a 20% surcharge for translation. Take it up with your boy Yamashita. He's a cheapskate. No recon. bare bones contract. This is what you get, pal! You'd best get your boys moving, the tide is going out and coverage ends at noon. <blows whistle and points flag at errant vehicle> STAY OUT OF THE MUD YOU DUMB ASS! Madre de Dios! These boys make the 32nd Div look like veterans. HEY, CHINAMAN...YEAH YOU...ROOKY HERE...DRIVEY THERE....

"Measure civilization by the ability of citizens to mock government with impunity" -- Unknown

(in reply to Moondawggie)
Post #: 1273
RE: Service Sector - 7/15/2010 10:32:04 PM   
Kwik E Mart

quote:

That's right, pal. It's in "Engrish" because that is what the contract specifies. There is a 20% surcharge for translation. Take it up with your boy Yamashita. He's a cheapskate. No recon. bare bones contract. This is what you get, pal! You'd best get your boys moving, the tide is going out and coverage ends at noon. <blows whistle and points flag at errant vehicle> STAY OUT OF THE MUD YOU DUMB ASS! Madre de Dios! These boys make the 32nd Div look like veterans. HEY, CHINAMAN...YEAH YOU...ROOKY HERE...DRIVEY THERE....

does this guy drink Dos XX's?

Kirk Lazarus: I know who I am. I'm the dude playin' the dude, disguised as another dude!
Ron Swanson: Clear alcohols are for rich women on diets.

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 1274
RE: Service Sector - 7/15/2010 10:38:27 PM   
sprior

Broome beach.

Attachment (1)

- Nigel Molesworth.

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 1275
RE: Service Sector - 7/15/2010 11:02:25 PM   
Chickenboy

Oi! If that's Broome beach, where's the crocs?

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1276
RE: Service Sector - 7/15/2010 11:58:05 PM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kwik E Mart

quote:

does this guy drink Dos XX's?

Hey, that's my hero youre talking about. Not this guy, the XX guy.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Kwik E Mart)
Post #: 1277
RE: Service Sector - 7/16/2010 12:54:39 AM   
Mynok

That's the beachmaster from "The Longest Day".

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 1278
RE: Service Sector - 7/16/2010 1:07:55 AM   
Onime No Kyo

quote:

That's the beachmaster from "The Longest Day".

I know. Had a riding crop and a bulldog too, iirc.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Mynok)
Post #: 1279
RE: Service Sector - 7/16/2010 1:20:47 AM   
witpqs

He had a hand in sinking the Bismark, too.

... and saved many lives on Titanic.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by witpqs -- 7/16/2010 1:22:15 AM >

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 1280
RE: Service Sector - 7/16/2010 8:30:17 PM   
Cap Mandrake

quote:

ORIGINAL: sprior

Broome beach.

Nice beach exits. Makes the Verville draw look like a cake walk.

Here is the actual landing site...about 2km down...past the Lesser and Medium Sunda Sea Turtle nesting area.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1281
RE: Service Sector - 7/16/2010 11:09:01 PM   
Cap Mandrake

The beach is called Cable Beach. Quite beautiful, the rare saltie or pesky hammerhead aside.

Sprior's pic is also Cable Beach...I think.

http://www.kimberleyaustralia.com/cable-beach-broome.html

Post #: 1282
RE: Service Sector - 7/17/2010 2:37:14 AM   
Reg

You are aware Cable Beach is also a 'Free' beach and the locals (mostly from the nearby tourist resorts) were quite attractive....

I'll go back there anytime....

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Post #: 1283
RE: Service Sector - 7/17/2010 2:58:59 AM   
Zacktar

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

He had a hand in sinking the Bismark, too.

Nah, it was the Blues Brothers who sank the Bismarck

Never hold discussions with the monkey when the organ grinder is in the room.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 1284
Excuse me sir - 7/18/2010 5:34:18 AM   
Cap Mandrake

So it's about 95 here today and we decide to make a break for the beach after I get done with work. We head off to Salt Creek Beach in Dana Point/Laguna. It 78 at 4:30 in the afternoon, the water is 68 (pretty warm) and the waves are medium big and fun but not bad and there is no rip. So I go out and I am just goofing around without fins diving under the breakers and doing a little backstroke...OK, OK, so I went out to take a leak, OK...are you happy?

Anyway. I am literally standing out there is chest deep water and this 19-20 year old lifeguard comes up out with his rescue float and fins and says, "Excuse me sir, we really don't want you out past chest deep without fins"

I hardly knew what to say. For Christ's sake! How old do I look? So I answer, "Isn't that why they call it swimming.'

"Even so, sir, my boss told me to tell you not to go out past chest deep."

The water recedes a bit and now we are literally waist deep. It's like a friggin kiddie pool. I felt like saying, "Look, I've been doing this for <insert some multidecadal figure here> years.' But then I realized that would actually weaken my position and he would just go in and tell his boss, "You were right, the guy is a dinosaur".

I am ashamed to say I couldn't think of anything to say. The kid looked very earnest and at least he was outwardly polite.

"Oh, OK", I answer lamely. Man....that hurt. I don't know what is worse. The epic dis or the fact that I went meekly into the slaughterhouse.

Big Jap landing at New Edinburgh...more to come.

(in reply to Zacktar)
Post #: 1285
YETIMO - 7/18/2010 3:40:12 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Sign in today is "YETIMO" which is Nepalese for "Scat of big, hairy, hominid that used to live in mountains but doesn't any more but don't tell anybody because it's good for tourism". I may be about to step in it.

*********April 7, 1942************

New Scotland: The LYB's have been assiduously bombarding New Edinburgh wih two smallish cruiser forces with a foray to New Perth every other day or so. I have detected two PC-heavy TF's approaching New Ullapool which I mistook to be ASW groups. I was wrong. They showed up at New Edinburgh with 7 Naval Guard units. CD fire was light, only one AK seriously hit. 14,000 Japs are ashore already. Madre de Dios!

AT New Edinburgh, I have one Kiwi Bn. (29th NZ) and 3rd Marine Def . Bn, plus the Free French boys and some security infantry from the USAAF. This will not be enough, of course. I have ordered all the armor down from New Perth and one Marine Regt. This will take 2-3 d. It may take the Japs that long to organize, but I am not confident. In the interim, a crusier force which has just rendezvoused off Norfolk will try to interdict the landing.

This will consist of Indianapolis, Louisville, Astoria and Achilles plus 6 DD's. My estimate is they will face Myoko, Chikuma, Furutaka (smoking a bit), Nachi, Yubari and Kinu plus an unkown number of DD's. If I am correct, these are the cruisers which have bombarded New Edinburgh and will be low on main gun ammo. None of the USN/RAN force have radar. In any event, I am not sure they will arrive before dawn. The best case scenario is they drive off the depleted Jap cruisers and get in among the transports. I would be happy if they merely force the withdrawal of the amphibious TF's without receiving too much damage. If they linger or there are cripples they will be in mortal peril from the Bettys and Kates at New Ullapool. I put about 40 P-39's and P-400's from New Perth on LRCAP. We shall see what they accomplish. I had concerns about Jap carriers in the areas but on careful examination, I believe the Kates are coming from New Ullapool.

New Perth wil go level two tomorrow if there is no damage. This would allow SBD's to operate again.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 7/18/2010 3:42:11 PM >

Post #: 1286
RE: YETIMO - 7/18/2010 3:52:51 PM   
Cap Mandrake

"BLOOME": About 1,400 Japs are ashore. The transport group is guarded by a surface group that likely includes a few CA's, but who knows? They could all be purse seiners. Lord Admiral Sprior ordered in HMS Danae, Mauritius and 3 DD's to attack vessels off New and Improved Broome. This seems an understrength force but given his track record for sinking Jap ships and my track record for getting USN ships sunk I am all for it (unless it fails, of course, then I will reserve the right to criticize ). He was apparently called away to London by the Admiralty and left things in my charge. I sent in a coy of Aussie Paras to New and Improved Broome by air transport. Maybe the Japs ashore will be teen boys and grandpas. We already know they lost two guns on Cable Beach.

Tally ho!

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 7/18/2010 3:53:38 PM >

Post #: 1287
RE: YETIMO - 7/18/2010 4:06:37 PM   
Cap Mandrake

Satisfying small engagement off Darwin too. Three Jap DD's tried to sneak in and pick off transports which I had formed up to try to escape down the Southern coast of New Guinea to Townsville.

They encounted a surface group under a Capt. Joost (the Dutch won the die roll to pick the TF CO). This consisted of Stronghold, Vampire, Witte de With and Van Ghent. Usugumo took two rounds and went crying back to momma. Annoyingly, Usugumo also took a dud torp from S-39 on the trip in. Another Jap ship took a dud near Noumea.

That is the main reason I can't watch the combat replay 99% of the time.

< Message edited by Cap Mandrake -- 7/18/2010 4:12:28 PM >

Post #: 1288
RE: YETIMO - 7/18/2010 5:10:14 PM   
sprior

Hi boys, I'm back.

- Nigel Molesworth.

Post #: 1289
RE: YETIMO - 7/18/2010 6:00:15 PM   
BrucePowers

It's about time

(in reply to sprior)
Post #: 1290
Page:   <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Bendover Field Page: <<   < prev  41 42 [43] 44 45   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI