Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Master Wishlist Thread

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Master Wishlist Thread Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/7/2010 7:36:55 PM   
caerr

I would redo the graphic with those suggestions but I'm terribly busy right now (playing the game). :D It was the first one I came up with and by no means the best.

I think the "upgrade" function would be easily put into a right-click menu. There is currently none in the colonies screen.

For example, right-click on a colony (row) in the colonies screen would give you (planet has a SSP-1 mk1 station):
 - Retrofit SSP-1 mk1 to MSP-1 mk1
 - Retrofit SSP-1 mk1 to LSP-1 mk1
 - Retrofit SSP-1 mk1 to LSP-2 mk1

etc...

Or if there's no station at all:
 - Build SSP-1 mk1
 - Build MSP-1 mk1
 - Build LSP-1 mk1
 - Build LSP-2 mk1

etc...

For ships I don't know if this would work, since you generally build more than one. You'd have to bring the context menu out over and over again. Faster to choose a planet and go to the construction tab and spam some ships.

EDIT: Just realized that there is no way to build military ships this way. Maybe adding another tab to the colony screen (i.e. Population, Cargo, Resources, Troops, Construction Yard, Spaceport, Docking Bay) would be better than filling the right click menu with dozens of ships. The spaceport screen would appear identical to the construction yard screen.

< Message edited by caerr -- 7/7/2010 7:47:42 PM >

(in reply to jalapen0)
Post #: 811
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/7/2010 7:52:12 PM   
jalapen0

Another thing I would add is the ability to have and retrofit several designs of each type. So one design named Frigate 1 and another called Frigate 2. If you upgrade them both to Mk2 then retrofit your Frigate 1's, it will retrofit them to Frigate 1 Mk2, and the Frigate 2's will retrofit to Frigate 2 Mk2. Not just the latest Frigate design. This way you can have several specialized designs.

If you obsolete your Frigate 1 Mk2, you should get a choice to retrofit your ships to another non-obsolete design.

Hopefully that makes sense and it might have been mentioned before.

(in reply to caerr)
Post #: 812
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/7/2010 8:00:43 PM   
taltamir

quote:

From this, we can see that the small-scale rebellions that occur within DW do not fit either of these definitions. The little rebellions lack an ability to take the fight beyond the planet they're fighting on, due to a lack of ships. Fleets defecting to the opponent in the Civil War would help equalise the situation, with maybe a 1/4 or a 1/3 of the original Empire's fleet defecting to the enemy in the bigger Civil Wars.

There is civil war in the game... if morale gets bad enough, social upheaval helps too (ex: switch from democracy to dictatorship). A new empire forms, with identical tech as you, and 1/3 to 1/2 your planets and ships.
The "little rebellion" where just one planet raises troops is perfectly fine as is, as it doesn't represent a massive scale revolution, but an attempted revolution that failed to spread beyond one planet. The best outcome for them is that they take over said planet and defect to another empire, joining said empire. Second best outcome for them is if they become independent because the other empire doesn't want them (any planet with negative cashflow due to quality under 50%). And I see no reason why such a crappy lone planet would be in any position to do anything but get bombarded to dust from orbit.
The worst (for them) outcome is that local troops stationed on the planet belonging to the government win the fight, and maintain control of the planet, suppressing the rebellion violently.

Anyways, the DW system for rebellion currently is perfect, it exists and it occurs, but unless you REALLY mess up public opinion (eg: get really really low reputation, try to stage a coup, etc) then it would be confined to a few civil disturbances in some planets.

So, to sum it up... stages of unrest:
0: no unrest
1: planet in "revolt", refuses to pay tax (also, doesn't build)
2: planet in "revolt", rebels raise their own troops which fight current garrison troops, if rebels win they join another empire (unless nobody would take them for being low quality planet); troops on planet help against this.
3: civil war, a new empire is formed, they take 1/3 to 1/2 your planets AND ships AND space stations AND freighters... become independent, are AT WAR with you at their inception, have identical tech as you.

Things that resist revolution:
1. not letting your reputation drop too low. (or being a race that doesn't care)
2. leaving AI control of taxes so it can lower taxes on bad years (or manually lowering taxes) to combat low morale.
3. Avoiding war weariness (via racial abilities, government type, or not being in war)
4. Not nuking planets from orbit. (related to reputation, nuking causes a big rep drop)
5. Not backstabbing your allies (causes big rep drop)
6. Not trying to stage a coup (switch government type, with a few exceptions, going to way of ancients doesn't seem to cause any issues. going to democracy causes less issue then some governments, but there is still upheaval even going to democracy... which makes sense, other generals / nobles / etc might disapprove and fight you)

< Message edited by taltamir -- 7/7/2010 8:02:26 PM >

I do not have a superman complex; for I am God, not Superman.

(in reply to Subotan)
Post #: 813
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/7/2010 8:28:46 PM   
taltamir

Request, micro design upgrades.

basically, if enabled it will create automatic "upgrade" designs which are used only to upgrade the certain "series" of ships, and such an upgrade is done automatically next time the ship goes to refuel (or immediately for a starport)
Any previous versions of each microdesign should be auto deleted as soon as there are 0 of them (but not the macro designs). The micro-upgrade should be created as obsolete if the original design was obsolete (to prevent clutter and accidental building of older ships)

So, lets say my current capital ship design is Capital Mk12. I also have obsolete designs for capital Mk1-11. I have actual ships of capital Mk3/6/9/10/11/12.
For simplicity lets say there hasn't been any improvements in hyperdrive tech for the entire duration, they just have different guns, shields, etc... thus they have not been touched by this feature yet.
Ok, so i discover a new warp drive tech; this prompts a micro-upgrade.
Capital Mk12 is marked as obsolete, a new design called Capital Mk12s2 is created (not obsolete), all capital Mk12 will auto upgrade to Capital Mk12s2 ASAP. When the last Capital Mk12 is upgraded to Mk12s2, the Mk12 design is deleted.
Capital Mk1/2/4/5/7/8 don't currently have a ship in service, their designs will be upgraded to Capital Mk1s2/2s2/4s2/5s2/7s2/8s2 which are created as obsolete designs (this bit is important). the original designs will then be deleted.
Capital Mk3/6/9/10/11/12 do have ships in service. their designs will be upgraded to they will be upgraded to Mk3s2/6s2/9s2/10s2/11s2 which are marked obsolete immediately upon creation. Those ships will then upgrade to those new designs ASAP, as soon as the last ship of a design has been micro upgraded, that older design is then deleted.

End result?
I now still have 12 designs for capital ships, labeled Mk1s2/Mk2s2/Mk3s2/Mk4s2/Mk5s2/Mk6s2/Mk7s2/Mk8s2/Mk9s2/Mk10s2/Mk11s2/12s2. All but 12s2 are obsolete.
I still have ships of the Mk3/6/9/10/11/12 series, but all of them now have an s2 at the end, and all of them have the best warp drive along with their older weapons, shields, etc. I could later order a full retrofit, but at least for now the cheap and extremely important upgrades have been implemented.

ideally it should let us chose which component TYPES we want to have auto upgrade in such a manner (via checkmarks), regardless, the list of components it is most important to do this for is (or order of importance):

1. warp-drive: there is only 1 of those per ship, they are very cheap, and they are extremely super duper important.
2. Bridge: there is only 1 of those (per ship or base), they are cheap, and the only function it seems to serve is to reduce the maintenance costs.
3. Trading module: there is only 1 of those per ship, they are cheap, and the only function it has is that it increases income.
4. Medical bay: only 1, increases morale
5. Recreational facility: only 1, increases morale
6. Manufacturing plants: Only a few per starbase so not expensive, very important (determine build speed)
7. Construction yards: only a few per starbase so not expensive, very important.

< Message edited by taltamir -- 7/7/2010 8:53:03 PM >

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 814
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/7/2010 8:29:54 PM   
Bartje

Good idea! Very useful!

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 815
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/7/2010 10:35:30 PM   
Chris21wen

I'd like the facility to see the research level of a base when you hover over it. Also be able to upgrade labs.

Just thought of something else that bugs me.

When you go to the colony screen being able to see what base are present when you select a colonywould be more that useful. Plus, adding research to the conony info would also be useful.

< Message edited by Chris H -- 7/7/2010 10:38:14 PM >

(in reply to 4xfan)
Post #: 816
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/8/2010 12:06:20 AM   
Subotan

There is civil war in the game already? Oooh, my bad... I feel like a proper twat now for going on at length about the need for something that already existed (aAlthough to be fair, it wasn't in either the Galactopedia or the Manual)

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 817
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/8/2010 1:09:06 AM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Subotan

There is civil war in the game already? Oooh, my bad... I feel like a proper twat now for going on at length about the need for something that already existed (aAlthough to be fair, it wasn't in either the Galactopedia or the Manual)

yes, it needs to be mentioned there :P
You probably didn't see it because in your playstyle you actually care for your people... many people complain they can't play the game since they keep on getting it. :P
start backstabbing your allies, nuking civilians, and then when your rep is low try to stage a coup :P

(in reply to Subotan)
Post #: 818
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/8/2010 8:31:15 AM   
Subotan

Will do 

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 819
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/8/2010 3:27:22 PM   
Igard

Could we please have some kind of option for adjusting racial bias? I've used the editor to do this, but I'd rather have something that can be saved either at a galaxy set up screen, or in a txt file.

I've now got 20 star trek races in my mod, so each time starting a new game, I need to set Klingons against Romulans, Bajorans against Cardassians etc, and it's alot of hard work to do this for all of them.

I'm not sure how this could be implemented, perhaps a drop-down menu with each selected race then set the bias for that race? Or have a txt file for race bias?

(in reply to Subotan)
Post #: 820
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/8/2010 9:00:22 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: Igard

Could we please have some kind of option for adjusting racial bias? I've used the editor to do this, but I'd rather have something that can be saved either at a galaxy set up screen, or in a txt file.

I've now got 20 star trek races in my mod, so each time starting a new game, I need to set Klingons against Romulans, Bajorans against Cardassians etc, and it's alot of hard work to do this for all of them.

I'm not sure how this could be implemented, perhaps a drop-down menu with each selected race then set the bias for that race? Or have a txt file for race bias?

I think this needs to go further. For proper modding support you need to be able to define:
1. How many races EXIST (less or more than 20)
2. Everything about each race.

Races have a variety of stats and bonuses, allow the creation of completely custom races with any combination of existing stats. (it doesn't have to be new stats, just allowing mix and match).
This would be great, hope we see it soon. But there is always work to be done, so I don't know how high on the priority list that is.

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 821
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/9/2010 1:57:52 AM   
Igard

quote:

ORIGINAL: taltamir
But there is always work to be done, so I don't know how high on the priority list that is.

Exactly why I didn't go so far.

I totally agree with you, taltamir, but I like to focus on the little things first.

< Message edited by Igard -- 7/9/2010 3:06:25 AM >

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 822
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/9/2010 4:21:08 PM   
drillerman

Not sure if this has been asked for but I'd like a volume slider for the UI sounds, you know button clicks etc. We have one for music and effects so I assume it would be easy to add one for UI sounds.
Thanks

Huh?

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 823
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/13/2010 6:26:59 PM   
WoodMan

Hi guys, list getting really long now, so sorry if this already brought up else where 

Would like pirates to be able to steal tech and territory maps from various Empires that they can then sell on to others.  e.g. "Would you like to buy the territory map of the Atuuk Council 5000 Credits etc".  Of course your own counter intelligence spies would resist them in the same way they do enemy Empire spies.

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 824
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/13/2010 7:56:15 PM   
jalapen0

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

Hi guys, list getting really long now, so sorry if this already brought up else where 

Would like pirates to be able to steal tech and territory maps from various Empires that they can then sell on to others.  e.g. "Would you like to buy the territory map of the Atuuk Council 5000 Credits etc".  Of course your own counter intelligence spies would resist them in the same way they do enemy Empire spies.

That's a cool idea

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 825
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/14/2010 4:29:25 AM   
Icesavage

I would like there to be an "Empire Spread" Option, when creating a new game.   Something which I can set which influences how close other empires are to each other.  So that starting points for AI empires are not always on top of each other. 

Something like:
Minimum distance between capital system = X sectors.

(in reply to jalapen0)
Post #: 826
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/14/2010 3:52:13 PM   
Shark7

Another request of mine:

Random Empire Events:

Events that are randomly generated for the player's empire. It helps give you a feeling that there is more going on in your empire than just war or routine trade.

The results could be good, could be bad, could require action on your part (IE pay some money to get the benefit or negate the bad impact), could cost you money or gain you money or just be fun and informational.

Anyway, keeping this short, I've started a discussion thread here: http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2522314&mpage=1&key=�

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Icesavage)
Post #: 827
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/14/2010 6:12:23 PM   
WoodMan

Agree with that Shark, but... it would have to happen to AI Empires too for it to work for me.  Gal Civ 2 had a similar thing.  I can remember one quite distinctly, my leader was Assassinated on a visit to another Empire or something, making an automatic state of war 

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 828
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/15/2010 7:51:26 PM   
caerr

A quick suggestion:

In the fleets screen, provide DISBAND FLEET button, which removes all ships from the fleet, puts them under AI control and removes the fleet from the list.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 829
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/15/2010 8:57:20 PM   
taltamir

quote:

ORIGINAL: caerr

A quick suggestion:

In the fleets screen, provide DISBAND FLEET button, which removes all ships from the fleet, puts them under AI control and removes the fleet from the list.

That would be useful.

(in reply to caerr)
Post #: 830
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/17/2010 4:17:35 PM   
WoodMan

A big wish for the supposedly upcoming modders patch.  Please can we have the ability to assign the special governments to custom races, Hive, Merch Guild and Utopia.  Thx 

(in reply to taltamir)
Post #: 831
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/17/2010 6:28:30 PM   
tjhkkr

[Could we please have some kind of option for adjusting racial bias? I've used the editor to do this, but I'd rather have something that can be saved either at a galaxy set up screen, or in a txt file. I've now got 20 star trek races in my mod, so each time starting a new game, I need to set Klingons against Romulans, Bajorans against Cardassians etc, and it's alot of hard work to do this for all of them. I'm not sure how this could be implemented, perhaps a drop-down menu with each selected race then set the bias for that race? Or have a txt file for race bias?]
I would like to see this too. Being an SW fan, I am not sure the Republic would like doing business with the Hutts or Black Sun or the Separatists
==> Hutts...

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 832
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/17/2010 7:41:18 PM   
tjhkkr

Igard
Is there an easy way for you to explain to me how you manually set two empires against each other with the editor?
I would at least like to keep the Republic and the Separatists from allying and coming after me...

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 833
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/17/2010 8:59:40 PM   
Igard

Hey tj,
Just enter the editor, at the bottom of the editor panel there is a button for 'edit empires'. This brings up a list where you can edit each empire in your current game.

You can change the relation ship each empire has with one another you'll see the list that says 'not met' or 'at war'. Next to that there is a bias setting. It's a bit laborious to say the least when you have a galaxy full of races that are supposed to hate each other, but it's worth the hassle.

(in reply to tjhkkr)
Post #: 834
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/18/2010 8:29:14 PM   
redchaostry

Wish list addition for ships being destroyed by black holes.

Would it be possible to have ships destroyed by black holes, stop and fade out through red shift?

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 835
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/19/2010 12:16:50 PM   
Igard

With Elliot and team working on new mod features for the next update, I thought it would be an opportune time to make a list prioritising what I think are the most important improvements for modding the game.

1. More ship families. This could be set extremely high or even infinite. This also includes the other race families like the pirates, Shaktur, Freedom alliance ships.

2. More modable racial stats. As much as possible about each race should be modable. This includes things like race bias, special tech (can be more that 1). Race family should also be modable (ie I can create feline race family if I so desire).

3. Modable technology. Edit the names, images and properties of each tech.

4. Ability to mod ship sizes. There is a bug which makes round, fat ships appear small and thin, stretched ships to appear larger. This needs to be fixed first, but after that, I would like to set each ship with a modifier, perhaps 3 settings, 1=small, 2=normal, 3=large. This would allow huge ships to be created for races such as the Galactic Empire or the Borg, when compared to other empires ships like the Tholians.

5. More ship types per ship role. This would activate the unused ship images MIL1A etc. What I would like to see happen though, is each new ship image can be activated once the empire reaches a certain tech level. This would create the illusion of an evolving race. It would allow the player to start a game with Captain Archer's Enterprise and then by the time they are ready to build 500 size ships, they can move on and build Captain Kirk's Enterprise.

6. More than 20 races. I'd like to add more races to the game, even if these races are minor and share a generic ship family.

7. Modable weapons. This includes the weapon images. Also would be nice to have a beam weapon that looks like a phaser array from Star Trek. I can't think of other weapons right now that would need a new weapon effect, perhaps Mass Drivers? Though I'm not sure how popular/useful they are.

8. Modable types of government. I'd like to add more governments, change stats etc.

9. Modable resources, perhaps should be higher on the list. Change images, stats.

10. Toggle for galactic history, Could be set in the start up screens, but I'd like to switch it off for certain themes.

11. Bigger galaxy map. I'd like to put this higher but I know it's a big ask. With a larger galaxy map, more space, There would be a longer expansion part of the game. I think with the improvements to the games performance with previous patches, many people's computers could handle the extra memory load.

That's all I can think of for now. I've tried to list these items in order of importance and also in order of viability.

If Erik and Elliot would like me to move this to it's own thread, we could keep the modding wishes separate from the gaming wishes.

EDIT: new thread started for this.

< Message edited by Igard -- 7/19/2010 3:13:06 PM >

(in reply to redchaostry)
Post #: 836
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/19/2010 12:46:23 PM   
WoodMan

quote:

If Erik and Elliot would like me to move this to it's own thread, we could keep the modding wishes separate from the gaming wishes.

lol, I came on here to start that very thread but you seem to have covered most of the things I need.  Start the thread dude, but only things I would like to add that you missed out is editable Galactopedia (preferably even add new pages, and don't forget we need to change some pictures perhaps too), and editable Galaxy History (the messages that appear when you first encounter independant colonies, those stories they have, and also the full screen pop-ups that come from ruins sometimes).

(in reply to Igard)
Post #: 837
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/19/2010 8:35:12 PM   
HUNMercenaries

I have some ideas for weapons. :)

About to lasers:
-Small range laser what are look like a "dot"- Its those kind of lasers what is are shooted bye fighters/bombers,corcettes,destroyers and frigates.
-Heavy long range laserbeam what is are look like a "small line" in the monitor what is are shooted bye medium sized ships.
-Nuke missile: Its those kind of weapon what is are make the planets live more easyer to kill. And only can be shooted by capitol ships. :)

I have a wish to the developers to make these kind of weapons to as in research for all specis. Sorry for my english...

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 838
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/19/2010 8:40:27 PM   
Yarasala

Moddable fuel consumption.

(in reply to HUNMercenaries)
Post #: 839
RE: Master Wishlist Thread - 7/20/2010 11:58:36 AM   
Pipewrench

couple of things,

Pirates that sometimes give you false information after getting your money.
-sending colony ships out to to find that is not really habitable or the populations mood towards you is not what was reported.
-pirates that by allying with you can increase your covert missions and link you with other pirate factions. (mafia ?)

ship design
get rid of the basic item list and just have those minimum required items already onboard your new design, or just create a minimum button.
would be nice to have a recommended button installed where the things needed would be installed in your design with one click.

(in reply to Yarasala)
Post #: 840
Page:   <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Master Wishlist Thread Page: <<   < prev  26 27 [28] 29 30   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI