Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Comprehensive Wishlist

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Comprehensive Wishlist Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/23/2010 10:42:36 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panama

How about making a wish list specifically focused on scenario design, separate from the current endlessly long wishlist? Probably not, eh?

I'm not sure how one would separate suggestions for scenario design tool improvements from suggestions for the improvement of TOAW in general. After all, what one can do in scenario design is pretty much determined by what the system is. At best, I think we get two threads splitting up what should be conversations (well...) occurring in one place.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 7/23/2010 10:43:33 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 1171
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/23/2010 10:45:52 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: ColinWright

Any way of deposing you? Having you locked away?

That's just how the Clippers feel about the Lakers.

I'd be more inclined to use the analogy of educated Russians and the last Tsar. Indeed, it all reminds me of their feelings about Rasputin. I suppose your sex life isn't as good as R-dude's -- but one does begin to get the same combination of concern for the future coupled with frustration at the sheer mindless obscurantism. Then too, there's the same uncertainty about the exact extent of your influence. It's really a rather good match.

Our leader?

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 7/23/2010 10:57:52 PM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 1172
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/23/2010 10:47:09 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: madner

This is becoming frustrating. Your logic is fallacious, where you are reading far to much into what Zetterling wrote to support a thesis that is devoid of any support in facts.

I'm not frustrated at all, since my position is iron-clad.

Lol. I just noticed this. It really is funny.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 1173
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/23/2010 10:50:50 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

At the moment, we have two different kinds of roads: improved and unimproved. As it stands, the difference between them are really rather insignificant. If the weather's inclement, unimproved roads can be worse than improved, but generally, the difference is primarily cosmetic. I can run improved or unimproved roads across the Ardennes: the German advance will progress about the same.

Also at the moment, there is a traffic factor that can make it hard to pile up units along a road without suffering penalties -- but again, this generally doesn't come into play, although there are scenarios where it works well.

So, I was thinking...

What if unimproved roads were made more susceptible to traffic effects than improved roads? Wouldn't this more effectively model the distinction? After all, the difficulty the Germans had in the Ardennes wasn't in running one vehicle across them; it was in running ten thousand vehicles across them all at once -- or trying to.

It would also help if the concern was to model the importance of securing the best road, as opposed to merely a road. After all, most places there's some meandering track that a regiment can straggle along without undue delay -- but if you want a ram a corps through, a really good road -- or network of roads -- is going to help. Such a distinction would also help to model the distinction between a road net capable of permitting a really large flow of traffic and one that is going to significantly delay the movement of large bodies of troops -- why the Ardennes were considered 'impassible.' They were a barrier -- the Germans just managed to overcome it.

If there was such a system, designers' considerations and players behavior would be more like in real life. Your choice of axis of advance would be dictated not just by other considerations, but by considerations of just how many troops could be shoved along a given road without excessive delay.

The new supply distribution method in 3.4 will start to address this. Supply ranges are in MPs not hexes. So, the mud and density penalties will accumulate supply reductions.

As to the difference between dirt and paved roads: It's not the width, it's the speed. One of my favorite "wishes" is for Motorized (or perhaps just Fast Motorized) units to pay only half a MP for each improved road traveled. This would not only affect troop movements, but supply ranges would double down improved roads. Their value over unimproved roads would be obvious.

Spectacular. The planned and proposed changes you enumerate are completely irrelevant to the concerns I raised. It's okay about your car breaking down, Curt -- I bought you a new toaster.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 1174
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/24/2010 1:30:06 AM   
Panama

quote:

quote:

How about making a wish list specifically focused on scenario design, separate from the current endlessly long wishlist? Probably not, eh?

I'm not sure how one would separate suggestions for scenario design tool improvements from suggestions for the improvement of TOAW in general. After all, what one can do in scenario design is pretty much determined by what the system is. At best, I think we get two threads splitting up what should be conversations (well...) occurring in one place.

well indeed. Keeping a thread on subject in this forum is a bit like herding cats.

(in reply to ColinWright)
Post #: 1175
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/24/2010 1:37:56 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

quote:

well indeed. Keeping a thread on subject in this forum is a bit like herding cats.

I dunno. Look at the thread title. It's supposed to be about wishes, and it's supposed to be comprehensive. Most of my posts at least express wishes. That can't be denied. What's more, they are wishes that relate to TOAW.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 1176
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/24/2010 3:16:13 AM   
rhinobones

quote:

I'd be more inclined to use the analogy of educated Russians and the last Tsar. Indeed, it all reminds me of their feelings about Rasputin. I suppose your sex life isn't as good as R-dude's -- but one does begin to get the same combination of concern for the future coupled with frustration at the sheer mindless obscurantism. Then too, there's the same uncertainty about the exact extent of your influence. It's really a rather good match.

This kind of post only proves your inability to be a decent human being.
Check out my byline for some of your earlier gems of manhood.

Regards, RhinoBones

Colin Wright:
Comprehensive Wishlist Forum #467 . . . The Norm (blessed be His name, genuflect three times and accept all values in the program as revealed truth)

Pre Combat Air Strikes # 64 . . . I need have no concern about keeping it civil

Post #: 1177
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/24/2010 3:31:40 AM   
Panama

Is obsurantism a real word? Just wondering. Perhaps you meant obfuscation? One of my favorites.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 1178
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/24/2010 3:48:54 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

quote:

quote:

Any way of deposing you? Having you locked away?

That's just how the Clippers feel about the Lakers.

That's also what the Clippers feel about the Lakers. They're really becoming whiners.

Post #: 1179
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/24/2010 3:52:35 AM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Spectacular. The planned and proposed changes you enumerate are completely irrelevant to the concerns I raised.

Why? Double the movement rate on an improved road and twice the stuff can be moved down it. It's going to make improved roads much more valuable. It would especially help the Desert War, as the coast road would focus supply on the coast.

Post #: 1180
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/24/2010 4:03:05 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

Is obsurantism a real word? Just wondering. Perhaps you meant obfuscation? One of my favorites.

'Obscurantism' most certainly is a word.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 7/24/2010 4:35:31 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 1181
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/24/2010 4:10:30 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

Spectacular. The planned and proposed changes you enumerate are completely irrelevant to the concerns I raised.

Why? Double the movement rate on an improved road and twice the stuff can be moved down it. It's going to make improved roads much more valuable. It would especially help the Desert War, as the coast road would focus supply on the coast.

Sure...but only because it'll all be moving twice as fast -- and presumably, twice as fast as would otherwise be possible.

I-5 can handle twice the traffic of US 97 -- but not because cars can average 140 mph on it instead of 70 mph. I'd say you're seeking to paper over the central issue rather than actually confronting it. A good road net will admittedly increase the maximum possible speed of a single vehicle somewhat -- but what it will really do is increase how much traffic can travel at the same speed. Where one panzer division could move along without undue delay, now three can. It's not that any one panzer division could go three times faster.

To bring the conversation back to earth, I'd look first of all at the traffic penalties and how to use them to make an improved road capable of handling significantly more traffic than an unimproved road. Second -- of course -- we actually need an actual volume-based supply system. The obstacles to getting this last might turn out to be insuperable, but that's something of an unknown. We never get that far in the discussion.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 7/24/2010 7:22:16 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 1182
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/24/2010 4:16:50 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhinobones

quote:

This kind of post only proves your inability to be a decent human being.

Ever noticed how I've never initiated a conversation with you in my life? That is to say, unless it's been a personal attack, I can't recall responding to any post you've made? It's odd, too, because to put it mildly, I'm a prolific poster.

But not when it comes to you. That's because other than pointless verbal abuse, you never have anything to say. It's really quite an achievement -- a negative one, of course, but still...

Rhinobones. The world's first poster completely without redeeming social value. Have you ever said anything that could even be construed as constructive? Well, there were some mildly dim-witted but essentially harmless remarks, I suppose. No need to exaggerate.

But go ahead...we've been down this road before. You seem to have masochistic tendencies, so have another go.

quote:

Check out my byline for some of your earlier gems of manhood.

Regards, RhinoBones

Yes, Rhino. This isn't the first time you've tried to get me to acknowledge your byline. So okay -- I hereby acknowledge your byline. The pathetic thing is that in both cases you've managed to ignore the context and misconstrue my meaning. All you're doing is advertising your own mental acuity -- or lack thereof.

But again, by all means keep the quotes. I really find them only mildly irritating. I've often stalked off fuming about Curtis -- but about you? Never.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 7/24/2010 7:19:37 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to rhinobones)
Post #: 1183
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/24/2010 4:21:07 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

But there you are. In point of fact, forces as large as a brigade operated deep in the desert -- and as far as I know, without any supply problems.

The difficulty is channeling a lot of supply out that far. That is to say, to support a force larger than a single brigade. Once again, the alternatives don't really provide satisfactory solutions -- what is needed is a true volume-based supply system.

< Message edited by ColinWright -- 7/24/2010 7:21:03 AM >

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 1184
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/24/2010 10:25:00 AM   
Panama

quote:

To bring the conversation back to earth, I'd look first of all at the traffic penalties and how to use them to make an improved road capable of handling significantly more traffic than an unimproved road. Second -- of course -- we actually need an actual volume-based supply system. The obstacles to getting this last might turn out to be insuperable, but that's something of an unknown. We never get that far in the discussion.

One of the things you would need to correct is how the game handles 'traffic'. Currenty it appears to me that it uses the old stacking method used in old board games. Traffic only counts if something is physically there during movement. Ideally, traffic would come into play during a turn even if something had been there during the turn but no longer is.

In other words, if two units had used the same number of movement points during a turn to get through a specific road hex then they would pay a traffic penalty for that hex. The problem arises when you consider this is not a rts game. You couldn't possibly make the first unit through the hex pay a penalty when you don't even know if a second unit will enter the hex at the same time. So you could only make the second unit pay a penalty even though the first unit was in the same traffic jam.

Supply would have to be handled the same way. If an improved road is used to route supply then the more supply routed down that road the less distance that supply could reach in a turn since a larger amount of traffic on a road would reduce the overall speed any suppy could achieve. Or better yet reduce the amount of supply reaching units based on how many units a road has to supply.

Post #: 1185
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/24/2010 8:04:08 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

quote:

One of the things you would need to correct is how the game handles 'traffic'. Currenty it appears to me that it uses the old stacking method used in old board games. Traffic only counts if something is physically there during movement. Ideally, traffic would come into play during a turn even if something had been there during the turn but no longer is.

In other words, if two units had used the same number of movement points during a turn to get through a specific road hex then they would pay a traffic penalty for that hex. The problem arises when you consider this is not a rts game. You couldn't possibly make the first unit through the hex pay a penalty when you don't even know if a second unit will enter the hex at the same time. So you could only make the second unit pay a penalty even though the first unit was in the same traffic jam...

Yeah. At least for now, the imperfect solution would be to just say the penalties get worse for the later units. After all, an army can always give a unit priority. 'Clear the way -- Brigade Panama has to come through.' You simulate 'Brigade Panama' having such a priority by moving it first.

What I'm visualizing at the moment is a system where the designer assigns 'capacity' for improved and unimproved roads. Like, say, 5000 unit weight points for improved roads and 2000 for unimproved. Then units can travel through the hex without penalty until 100% of the capacity has been consumed. From 100% to 200%, the hex costs an extra MP. From 200% to 300% an extra two MP's. Etc.

One could get some very realistic outcomes this way. For example, in the move across the Ardennes, infantry divisions got in the way of 5th Panzer. As a result, it was seriously delayed. So you shoved the infantry divisions down the road first -- and now 5th Panzer is paying 3 MP for every hex it enters.

Supply, now -- well, there is a more elaborate problem. However, I think it could be handled with an elaboration of the above mechanism. Players could assign 'supply priority' to various units -- or even be denied such an ability by the designer to simulate such things as the broad front 'strategy' the Allies used in 1944-45 to keep both Montgomery and the Americans happy.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 1186
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/24/2010 8:17:11 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

Sure...but only because it'll all be moving twice as fast -- and presumably, twice as fast as would otherwise be possible.

The Fast Motorized rate in TOAW is a little over 94km per day. That's over friendly-owned hexes. (That averages less than 4km/hour, by the way). Enemy-owned hexes would add the hex-conversion cost to that, dropping it to 47km per day. We know that there were advances over enemy territory in excess of 150km per day. So, halving the cost would allow 188km per day over friendly hexes and about 63km per day over enemy hexes. So, it's not unrealistic at all. Also, note that this was a feature of the SPI CFNA wargame.

quote:

I-5 can handle twice the traffic of US 97.

Because it has four lanes instead of two. In contrast, a dirt road has two lanes, just like a paved highway. The difference between them is the speed that motor vehicles can travel on them.

quote:

I'd say you're seeking to paper over the central issue rather than actually confronting it. A good road net will admittedly increase the maximum possible speed of a single vehicle somewhat -- but what it will really do is increase how much traffic can travel at the same speed. Where one panzer division could move along without undue delay, now three can. It's not that any one panzer division could go three times faster.

No. That's absurd. If it has the same number of lanes and traffic is traveling at the same speed, then the traffic flow is the same for both. Again, the difference is the speed possible. That's what makes a paved road superior to a dirt one.

Post #: 1187
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/24/2010 8:33:25 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

But there you are. In point of fact, forces as large as a brigade operated deep in the desert -- and as far as I know, without any supply problems.

Without much combat, though - in contrast to the main forces. If you sit around most of the time, supply will correctly build up in TOAW, regardless of the rate.

quote:

The difficulty is channeling a lot of supply out that far. That is to say, to support a force larger than a single brigade. Once again, the alternatives don't really provide satisfactory solutions -- what is needed is a true volume-based supply system.

All that I need is the speed advantage for the coast road. It would correctly focus supply on the coast. Well, to be certain, I would need the 5.9 wish, too - ending infinite supply lines.

Post #: 1188
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/24/2010 8:50:02 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

In other words, if two units had used the same number of movement points during a turn to get through a specific road hex then they would pay a traffic penalty for that hex. The problem arises when you consider this is not a rts game. You couldn't possibly make the first unit through the hex pay a penalty when you don't even know if a second unit will enter the hex at the same time. So you could only make the second unit pay a penalty even though the first unit was in the same traffic jam.

I think this would be very difficult to do and would be unnecessary. Maybe you can conjure up some artificial situation where a logjam doesn't cause traffic penalties, but in real games, they do. Those penalties are sufficient.

quote:

Supply would have to be handled the same way. If an improved road is used to route supply then the more supply routed down that road the less distance that supply could reach in a turn since a larger amount of traffic on a road would reduce the overall speed any suppy could achieve. Or better yet reduce the amount of supply reaching units based on how many units a road has to supply.

Again, the new version applies traffic penalties to the supply distance - where there actually are traffic penalties. Absent those penalties - like out in the middle of nowhere - there is no need to figure how many trucks passed over the hex. The capacity is so huge it needn't be a concern.

Just think about the amount of supply that can be pushed down a dirt road out in the middle-of-nowhere in a day:

94km per day, 20 trucks per km, 4.5 tons per truck = 8,460 tons per day. Rommel's Panzerarmee Africa required a little over 60,000 tons per month = a little over 2,000 tons per day. So, the "supply capacity" of a dirt road is enough to supply four armies. Now, if you take a more realistic rate of travel, say 10km/hour, it more than doubles. Take a paved road and it doubles again. And that's delivering full supply - right on the supply point. Extend a few hundred miles and the truck density drops accordingly.

So, the supply trucks themselves aren't going to be the issue. It's the traffic penalties encountered at the front lines - and those are already built in - or will be in 3.4.

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 7/24/2010 8:55:07 PM >

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 1189
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/24/2010 10:05:53 PM   
ColinWright

Sigh.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

Post #: 1190
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/24/2010 10:32:44 PM   
Panama

I see. The Axis on the East Front and the Allies on the West Front would have loved to have known these things. They would have had no problems with logistics if they had just stopped to reason things out. I guess they were pretty stupid, eh?

Post #: 1191
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/24/2010 11:06:18 PM   
ColinWright

quote:

I see. The Axis on the East Front and the Allies on the West Front would have loved to have known these things. They would have had no problems with logistics if they had just stopped to reason things out. I guess they were pretty stupid, eh?

Hey. They went through the whole North African campaign without realizing what great trenches wadis make. What can you say?

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 1192
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/25/2010 2:36:17 AM   
desert

quote:

Ever noticed how I've never initiated a conversation with you in my life? That is to say, unless it's been a personal attack, I can't recall responding to any post you've made? It's odd, too, because to put it mildly, I'm a prolific poster.

First forum I've ever seen where a little over a post a day (many of those being a sentence long) makes you a prolific poster.

I'm not insulting you, this is just a weird habit some of you seem to have: making a separate post for every point or member you address.

< Message edited by desert -- 7/25/2010 2:38:50 AM >

"I would rather he had given me one more division"
- Rommel, when Hitler made him a Field Marshall

Post #: 1193
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/25/2010 5:24:40 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: desert

quote:

First forum I've ever seen where a little over a post a day (many of those being a sentence long) makes you a prolific poster.

I'm not insulting you, this is just a weird habit some of you seem to have: making a separate post for every point or member you address.

I thought that's what everyone did. It seems that is what everyone does. Are you suggesting one post comprehensively responding to the posts of five different individuals?

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to desert)
Post #: 1194
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/25/2010 7:29:28 AM   
desert

quote:

I thought that's what everyone did. It seems that is what everyone does. Are you suggesting one post comprehensively responding to the posts of five different individuals?

I've never seen it done that way in any other forum. Double (and triple!) posting is usually frowned upon and offenders usually apologize for doing it.

I've seen single replies longer than most pages in this thread.

Hell, you replied to the same post twice earlier today. In the space of ten minutes. And you edited it over 12 hours later, so why would you feel any compunction about editing in the extra material in the first place?

< Message edited by desert -- 7/25/2010 7:30:57 AM >

Post #: 1195
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/25/2010 7:58:51 AM   
ColinWright

quote:

ORIGINAL: desert

quote:

I've never seen it done that way in any other forum. Double (and triple!) posting is usually frowned upon and offenders usually apologize for doing it.

I've seen single replies longer than most pages in this thread.

Hell, you replied to the same post twice earlier today. In the space of ten minutes. And you edited it over 12 hours later, so why would you feel any compunction about editing in the extra material in the first place?

Why two short posts are bad but one long post is good escapes me.

I must have had two different points to make. As to editing it later, if I notice an error, or feel the wording could be improved, I certainly see it as desirable to make the change.

Anyway, if you want to write page-long posts, I won't object.

I am not Charlie Hebdo

(in reply to desert)
Post #: 1196
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/25/2010 9:35:25 AM   
desert

quote:

Why two short posts are bad but one long post is good escapes me.

I must have had two different points to make. As to editing it later, if I notice an error, or feel the wording could be improved, I certainly see it as desirable to make the change.

Anyway, if you want to write page-long posts, I won't object.

I have nothing of value to say. I'd rather not waste anyone's time.

Post #: 1197
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/25/2010 9:35:49 AM   
desert

What do you think of irony?

< Message edited by desert -- 7/25/2010 9:36:00 AM >

(in reply to desert)
Post #: 1198
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/25/2010 2:00:06 PM   
Panama

For myself, I prefer coppery or silvery. Irony reminds me too much of Mars. All that red. bleh. What was this thread about again?

(in reply to desert)
Post #: 1199
RE: Comprehensive Wishlist - 7/25/2010 3:27:21 PM   
Veers

To repeat history in a game is to be predictable.
If you wish to learn more about EA, feel free to pop over to the EA forums Europe Aflame Forums.

(in reply to Panama)
Post #: 1200
Page:   <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Norm Koger's The Operational Art Of War III >> Scenario Design >> RE: Comprehensive Wishlist Page: <<   < prev  38 39 [40] 41 42   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI