Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: War in the East Q&A

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/16/2010 7:59:01 PM   
wmcalpine

Question about supply sources:

In PDs AAR, Moscow is surrounded. I was wondering what the USSR supply sources are in game. Are they the Eastern map edge rail hexes, or are their on map sources as well?

Bill

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 871
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/16/2010 8:02:21 PM   
wmcalpine

Question about Moscow isolation effects:

Are there any effects due to the isolation of Moscow (or for that matter, isolation of any critical urban/supply/resource centers) in PDs AAR?

Bill

(in reply to wmcalpine)
Post #: 872
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/16/2010 9:19:38 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: wmcalpine

Question about supply sources:

In PDs AAR, Moscow is surrounded. I was wondering what the USSR supply sources are in game. Are they the Eastern map edge rail hexes, or are their on map sources as well?

Bill

There are no "on map" sources. Soviets trace along a functioning rail line to the eastern edge, Axis to the western edge.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to wmcalpine)
Post #: 873
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/16/2010 9:20:57 PM   
elmo3

quote:

Are there any effects due to the isolation of Moscow (or for that matter, isolation of any critical urban/supply/resource centers) in PDs AAR?

Bill

If you mean any "political" effects then no. The isolated units suffer all kinds of bad effects.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to wmcalpine)
Post #: 874
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/16/2010 9:27:51 PM   
wmcalpine

Elmo3,

Thank you. Does this mean that the units in Moscow from PDs AAR will start to suffer from being out of supply, for example?

Bill

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 875
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/16/2010 10:51:59 PM   
elmo3

quote:

Elmo3,

Thank you. Does this mean that the units in Moscow from PDs AAR will start to suffer from being out of supply, for example?

Bill

Yup. The Soviets can airlift supplies but that looks like a losing proposition given the number of isolated units.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to wmcalpine)
Post #: 876
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/20/2010 10:38:52 AM   
ComradeP

The production screenshots posted in Jon's AAR show several pieces of equipment being produced, with no units using them. Some of those pieces of equipment have been built in a substantial quantity. As there are no units using them, what happened to them?

The production screen also shows something discussed earlier: more pieces of equipment being produced than can be used in a unit, which means that (for example) two heavy Panzer battalions worth of Tigers are sitting in the pool as well as several halftrack heavy weapons companies/battalions.

I guess that's one of the downsides of fixed production: careful resource management can possibly lead to lots of equipment sitting in the pool with no unit to equip.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 6/20/2010 10:53:33 AM >

(in reply to elmo3)
Post #: 877
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/20/2010 6:56:06 PM   
Smirfy

quote:

ORIGINAL: ComradeP

The production screenshots posted in Jon's AAR show several pieces of equipment being produced, with no units using them. Some of those pieces of equipment have been built in a substantial quantity. As there are no units using them, what happened to them?

The production screen also shows something discussed earlier: more pieces of equipment being produced than can be used in a unit, which means that (for example) two heavy Panzer battalions worth of Tigers are sitting in the pool as well as several halftrack heavy weapons companies/battalions.

I guess that's one of the downsides of fixed production: careful resource management can possibly lead to lots of equipment sitting in the pool with no unit to equip.

I'm guessing that the production surplus gets absorbed by new units when they are created. Units not recieving equipment was a big heachache for the Werhmacht. When the Heavy bombers switched back to strategic bombing after Normandy for instance in three months over a quarter of IV's, Panthers and Tigers produced never made it to their units. One always has to be wary of German production figures equating to frontline strength. One thing that strikes me about the pool is the East-West allowance. I'm sure more than 30% of single engined fighters were allocated to theatres other than the Eastern Front

< Message edited by Smirfy -- 6/20/2010 6:57:17 PM >

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 878
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/20/2010 7:24:48 PM   
PyleDriver

Guys the entire production system is under construction. So really you can ignore alot of what you see. Pavel is on vacation and when he returns its top on his list...As far as my AAR Joel would like me to restart, however gave me the OK to play it for a couple more weeks...There has been alot of new rules added since this AAR started, so well see what happens next AAR...

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to Smirfy)
Post #: 879
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/20/2010 7:44:14 PM   
ComradeP

quote:

I'm guessing that the production surplus gets absorbed by new units when they are created. Units not recieving equipment was a big heachache for the Werhmacht. When the Heavy bombers switched back to strategic bombing after Normandy for instance in three months over a quarter of IV's, Panthers and Tigers produced never made it to their units. One always has to be wary of German production figures equating to frontline strength.

That's why I'm surprised the opposite is now the case: plenty of equipment in the pool with nowhere to go, that's a very un-Axis situation.

quote:

One thing that strikes me about the pool is the East-West allowance. I'm sure more than 30% of single engined fighters were allocated to theatres other than the Eastern Front

It could be an overall figure. Many of the air units in Germany should technically be on the map, but the answers to some of my earlier questions indicated the Luftwaffe's allocation of forces has not been finalized and neither has the moving back and forth of air units to German air defence duties/later Luftflotte Reich.

What surprises me more is that only 20% of Italian production goes to on-map units, because Yugoslavia is also included. Of course, I'm not entirely sure, but I have my doubts Africa absorbed 80% of Italian production throughout 1941-1943.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 6/20/2010 7:45:08 PM >

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 880
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/20/2010 9:18:13 PM   
PyleDriver

(DAR) Manstein was called to replace Lindemann's 18th Army command. He wasted no time to start counterattacking...Opps, wrong thread, ah enjoy it anyway...

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by PyleDriver -- 6/20/2010 10:05:39 PM >

Jon Pyle
AWD Beta tester
WBTS Alpha tester
WitE Alpha tester
WitW Alpha tester
WitE2 Alpha tester

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 881
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/24/2010 10:48:13 PM   
ComradeP

How does the game handle units with TOE's that changed very slowly, even though they were possibly reclassified when they still had their old equipment, or were downgraded? Do units automatically get the chance to gain the equipment they're eligible to get after they switch TOE or are there strings attached? What about units that were actually equipped with entirely different equipment than other units in their class, like GD and LSSAH, DR, TK and Wiking being closer to Panzer divisions than Motorised/PzG divisions even though they were called Motorised/PzG divisions before the differences between a PzG and Pz division became negligible in practice in many cases? Do they get special TOE's?

Examples: the SS Polizei division which took half a year to become a PzG formation and to be officially reclassified as such, and a formation like 13th Tank Corps which became (the second coming of) 13th Mechanised Corps out of necessity because it was badly shot up, though even the Soviet records seem to be confused as to when to stop calling it a Tank Corps.

< Message edited by ComradeP -- 6/24/2010 10:50:51 PM >

(in reply to PyleDriver)
Post #: 882
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/28/2010 11:01:18 PM   
Walloc

Now that we are at ToE questions. I understand how the withdrawl and refitting for units function changing the units ToE, at leased i pretend i do!

My question is. How are more general ToE changes done, if at all?
Specificly the channge to the 7 btn 1943 German Inf div vs the 9 Btn one. Since it doesnt seem feasible too have alot of inf divs leave the lines. Overall this should free some german inf manpower for the german side. Tho in the case of many of divs the change was more in name than game as they alrdy were severly understrength, so more a question of amalging those btns.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 883
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/29/2010 1:54:48 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: Walloc

My question is. How are more general ToE changes done, if at all?
Specificly the channge to the 7 btn 1943 German Inf div vs the 9 Btn one. Since it doesnt seem feasible too have alot of inf divs leave the lines. Overall this should free some german inf manpower for the german side. Tho in the case of many of divs the change was more in name than game as they alrdy were severly understrength, so more a question of amalging those btns.

Units do not have to leave the Eastern Front to re-organize to a new TOE. TOEs upgrade on set dates and units set to a particular TOE that upgrades will attempt to conform to the new TOE thereafter. Units do not change TOEs instantaneously so a variable number of weeks may go by before the new TOE is adopted.

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 884
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/29/2010 9:05:52 PM   
Walloc

Thx Jaws,

Rasmus

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 885
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/30/2010 10:01:24 AM   
ComradeP

jaw: any answer to my questions?

(in reply to Walloc)
Post #: 886
RE: War in the East Q&A - 6/30/2010 1:36:02 PM   
jaw

quote:

How does the game handle units with TOE's that changed very slowly, even though they were possibly reclassified when they still had their old equipment, or were downgraded? Do units automatically get the chance to gain the equipment they're eligible to get after they switch TOE or are there strings attached? What about units that were actually equipped with entirely different equipment than other units in their class, like GD and LSSAH, DR, TK and Wiking being closer to Panzer divisions than Motorised/PzG divisions even though they were called Motorised/PzG divisions before the differences between a PzG and Pz division became negligible in practice in many cases? Do they get special TOE's?

Examples: the SS Polizei division which took half a year to become a PzG formation and to be officially reclassified as such, and a formation like 13th Tank Corps which became (the second coming of) 13th Mechanised Corps out of necessity because it was badly shot up, though even the Soviet records seem to be confused as to when to stop calling it a Tank Corps.

Sorry ComradeP, I missed your question.

I'll try to clarify a bit more how the TOE process works. There is a file in the game called wrob.dat that contains the various TOEs for every unit in the game (there are several hundred of these TOEs). The TOEs are segregated by type of unit and time of the War. For example, there is a "theoretical" panzer division TOE for every year of the War including the infamous '45 Panzer division. Not only are there separate TOEs for unit types (e.g. armor versus infantry) but separate TOEs even within types. The elite SS divisions for example have at times three different TOEs running simultaneously.

The actual units in any scenario are listed in the scenario file and are "pointed" to a particular TOE in the wrob.dat file that they will follow. Although the TOE specifies how the unit is supposed to be organized, the scenario designer will modifiy this organization to reflect how the unit was actually organized at the time the scenario begins. For example, the TOE of the '41 Panzer division calls for the division to be equipped with Panzer III medium tanks but the actual historical unit could have say out-of-production Panzer 35s instead. When these Panzer 35s are lost in combat the program will try to replace them with the Panzer IIIs called for in the TOE. If there are no available Panzer IIIs, the program may substitute Panzer 38Es since they are also medium tanks. Without special exception (certain assault guns/tank destroyers), the program will never substitute one class of AFV for another. Therefore unlike WIR, you'll never see a unit composed of a disproportionate number of a particular AFV type (like 80 Panzer IVe).

If memory serves me (I'm not responsible for the scenario files just the TOEs) the SS Polizei division withdraws from the game and re-organizes "off map" into an SS Panzergrenadier division then returns as such.

As for the 13th Tank/Mechanized Corps, Russian corps (tank/mech/cavalry/rifle) are not "buildable" as unique units. You, the player, have to build them out of their component brigades/divisions. Therefore the number assigned to a mechanized corps constructed out of some of the components of a particular tank corps would simply be the next number to be assigned. In the game to have this exact re-organization occur would require that there be only 12 mechanized corps in existence at the time you broke down the 13th Tank Corps to form the 13th Mechanized Corps.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 887
RE: War in the East Q&A - 7/14/2010 12:56:27 PM   
jaw

A correction here to my comments above. Looking over the latest version of the rules I noticed that mechanized corps can only be formed from motorized or mechanized brigades. Also when you breakdown a tank corps or mechanized corps it forms three brigades of the same type that are unique to the parent corps. I doubt that these brigades can be combined with anything else as a result.

You could disband a tank corps (which I would not recommend doing given the cost in admin points and experience to create it in the first place) and form a mechanized corps to "simulate" the conversion. Unfortunately the motorized or mechanized brigades that form the mechanized corps would already have to be in existence and the only value in disbanding the tank corps (other than historical color) would be to add its components back into the pool.

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 888
RE: War in the East Q&A - 7/17/2010 10:09:15 AM   
ComradeP

Do pre-war Soviet divisions or divisions that participated in the Winter War and were not badly mauled start with higher experience?

Do German infantry divisions start with varied TOE levels, due to their Welle, but with a same general TOE they can fill up?

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 889
RE: War in the East Q&A - 7/19/2010 1:34:35 PM   
jaw

quote:

Do pre-war Soviet divisions or divisions that participated in the Winter War and were not badly mauled start with higher experience?

Do German infantry divisions start with varied TOE levels, due to their Welle, but with a same general TOE they can fill up?

The answer to your first question is that depends. There is a procedure in the game that essentially randomnizes the starting experience levels of Soviet units. This procedure results in some units being above average (by Soviet standards)and some below average with a bias to units deployed on the southern half of the map having more of the former. The result is that the "feel" of the opening German attack is very historical but there is no single Soviet division you could point to and definitively say it will always be better or worse than average in every game.

The answer to your second question is yes. The scenario designer will use to theoretical TOE as a starting point then customize it for the individual division.

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 890
RE: War in the East Q&A - 7/22/2010 10:24:07 PM   
entwood

If Soviet units get destroyed will the game have any provision for Partisans? Kind of reminds me of old SPI War in the East that had this?

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 891
RE: War in the East Q&A - 7/23/2010 10:56:48 AM   
elmo3

Yes, partisans are in the game. The Axis player needs to garrison cities he takes or partisans will really become a problem.

WitE alpha/beta tester

(in reply to entwood)
Post #: 892
RE: War in the East Q&A - 7/23/2010 12:57:49 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: entwood

If Soviet units get destroyed will the game have any provision for Partisans? Kind of reminds me of old SPI War in the East that had this?

There is not the one for one creation like there was in the SPI game but in supply units that "shatter" (unit destroyed and eliminated from the map) will provide a portion of their surviving manpower for the creation of partisan cadres. The placement of these cadres is not directly related to hex the combat unit was destroyed in as it was in the SPI game.

(in reply to entwood)
Post #: 893
RE: War in the East Q&A - 7/24/2010 1:05:10 PM   
ComradeP

Is there a smaller chance that partisan units form in the Baltic States and the Soviet-occupied part of Finland compared to other parts of the USSR (considering that Soviet partisan activity in those regions was fairly minor)?

Is there a chance pro-Axis partisan units will form in the Baltic States and Finland during a presumably late war Soviet counteroffensive that recaptures the territory?

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 894
RE: War in the East Q&A - 7/25/2010 9:19:16 AM   
ComradeP

And a third question: How does refitting work in terms of how the replacements in the refit pool are spread amongst the refitting units?

Let's say the player has 10 units in refit mode, do they all get a percentage of the replacements from the refit pool (and possibly a percentage of the replacements from the normal replacements pool after that?), or do they get replacements one by one, as in: the first unit placed in refit mode, or a randomly selected unit is filled up first, and the remaining replacements then go to the next one, and so on, until the replacements are all gone?

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 895
RE: War in the East Q&A - 7/26/2010 2:11:03 AM   
Joel Billings

quote:

And a third question: How does refitting work in terms of how the replacements in the refit pool are spread amongst the refitting units?

Let's say the player has 10 units in refit mode, do they all get a percentage of the replacements from the refit pool (and possibly a percentage of the replacements from the normal replacements pool after that?), or do they get replacements one by one, as in: the first unit placed in refit mode, or a randomly selected unit is filled up first, and the remaining replacements then go to the next one, and so on, until the replacements are all gone?

In order to avoid all the troops going to the first unit, there are several passes in both the refit and normal replacement phases (at least I'm pretty sure there are, I know there are in the normal replacement phase). So the code tries to spread out the available manpower to some extent.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 896
RE: War in the East Q&A - 7/26/2010 2:16:38 AM   
Joel Billings

quote:

Is there a smaller chance that partisan units form in the Baltic States and the Soviet-occupied part of Finland compared to other parts of the USSR (considering that Soviet partisan activity in those regions was fairly minor)?

Is there a chance pro-Axis partisan units will form in the Baltic States and Finland during a presumably late war Soviet counteroffensive that recaptures the territory?

I don't think there are any reductions in the Baltics or former Finnish areas, although I've never actually seen any partisan cadres in the Finnish front area, so Gary may have blocked this out. I have seen them in the Baltic area. There is a rule about the Baltics that partisans may not attack in the Baltic States rail area until after December 1, 1941.

There are no pro-Axis partisans.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to ComradeP)
Post #: 897
RE: War in the East Q&A - 7/28/2010 5:09:23 AM   
nicwb

quote:

Bill

If you mean any "political" effects then no. The isolated units suffer all kinds of bad effects.

Does this mean that apart from tactical considerations eg supply nets, defensive positions, destroying opponents etc (or in the case of Moscow/Berlin for the sheer prestiege of it ) there's no particular reason to capture a city ?

On a more particular question - having read the Leningrad AAR's - does the USSR get to recreate its famous ice road supply line to the city in Winter ?

(in reply to Joel Billings)
Post #: 898
RE: War in the East Q&A - 7/28/2010 1:18:18 PM   
jaw

quote:

ORIGINAL: nicwb
Does this mean that apart from tactical considerations eg supply nets, defensive positions, destroying opponents etc (or in the case of Moscow/Berlin for the sheer prestiege of it ) there's no particular reason to capture a city ?

On a more particular question - having read the Leningrad AAR's - does the USSR get to recreate its famous ice road supply line to the city in Winter ?

No, many cities (Moscow being one of them) are objective hexes that count toward victory conditions.

As long as the Soviet player holds an in-supply port on Lake Ladoga, Leningrad can be supplied regardless of weather. The "ice road" is effectively the supply path traced from the lake port to Leningrad during winter turns when the lake is iced over.

(in reply to nicwb)
Post #: 899
RE: War in the East Q&A - 7/28/2010 10:50:47 PM   
Endsieg

in recent days, weeks various AARS have been halted due BUGS and/or tester resources needed elsewhere to test for bugs...it appears to me?
I sense a crisis in this game going from alpha to beta....hopefully, i'm wrong or exaggerating?
There is an impatient niche community out here dying to whip out their credit cards and buy/play this game.
When ?

(in reply to jaw)
Post #: 900
Page:   <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> RE: War in the East Q&A Page: <<   < prev  28 29 [30] 31 32   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI