Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Most efficent way to take over planets

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Most efficent way to take over planets Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Most efficent way to take over planets - 8/11/2010 9:10:33 PM   
AminMaalouf

What is the most efficent way to take over planets with hostile indepant inhabitants?
Post #: 1
RE: Most efficent way to take over planets - 8/11/2010 11:10:35 PM   
adecoy95

quote:

ORIGINAL: AminMaalouf

What is the most efficent way to take over planets with hostile indepant inhabitants?

troop transports

(in reply to AminMaalouf)
Post #: 2
RE: Most efficent way to take over planets - 8/12/2010 5:17:45 AM   
AminMaalouf

Ok, I'll try the old Seabees approach.

thx

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 3
RE: Most efficent way to take over planets - 8/13/2010 2:14:25 AM   
torrenal

Very early in a game, I usually order 4 or so transports, so that when I find a planet I want (be it during a war, or just the odd independent colony I want to take over quickly) I don't need to go scrounging for a transport with troops.  The bonus to taking over a planet with troops is you get it -- cheap.  The bonus to taking over a planet with a colony ship is you can get stuff (read: tech) from it.
//Torrenal

Post #: 4
RE: Most efficent way to take over planets - 8/13/2010 7:02:13 AM   
AminMaalouf

Is there a way to increase the chance of success for colonyship to land on a planet with low probablities (red text line)? Well, you try it two or for times but that costs you a lot of cash.

< Message edited by AminMaalouf -- 8/13/2010 7:03:15 AM >

(in reply to torrenal)
Post #: 5
RE: Most efficent way to take over planets - 8/14/2010 7:49:12 PM   
torrenal

Not that I know of -- sure, having a more advanced colony module (read: more colonists) might help in theory, in practice you have what you have for a ship design and either you use that or you don't.
---
In the early game, I'll send a troop transport to one of these planets, no questions. I can't afford to waste colony ships on it.

Mid/Late game, I'll send colony ships, and if I face time pressure (Eep! Rare resource at stake, I need that planet NOW / Is that someone else's colony ship / etc), or if I just get frustrated, I may just send a troop transport.

//Torrenal

Post #: 6
RE: Most efficent way to take over planets - 8/14/2010 8:04:55 PM   
AminMaalouf

How many troop transporting ships do pack normally in a fleet to take an independant world? I have tried it with four and had not been successful. It could be that not the transport capacity but the number of transported landing forces was the problem.

< Message edited by AminMaalouf -- 8/14/2010 8:09:34 PM >

(in reply to torrenal)
Post #: 7
RE: Most efficent way to take over planets - 8/15/2010 12:00:54 AM   
WoodMan

In the early game a lot of independant worlds have only 1 troop defending them, so as long as you are a better fighting race you should be able to take it with 1 troop transport with 2 troops onboard.  Remember, races fight better on their native planet types, so keep that in mind, it might tip the balance away from you.

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

Post #: 8
RE: Most efficent way to take over planets - 8/15/2010 4:16:50 PM   
torrenal

My early-game tactic is to just take a full-load troop transport to any planet I plan to seize.  Once I take the planet, I order replacements for any lost troops + 1, rearm the transport once they finish training, and I'm set for the next planet.  Not the fastest turn-around, but 4-5 transports is all I need to work that way.
//Torrenal

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 9
RE: Most efficent way to take over planets - 8/15/2010 4:38:17 PM   
WoodMan

I would like to point out that invading independant colonies is immoral.  If they don't want to join you peacefully, leave the poor people alone, you evil gits!!! 

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to torrenal)
Post #: 10
RE: Most efficent way to take over planets - 8/16/2010 1:49:06 PM   
the1sean

Whatever, LET THE GALAXY BURN! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

When it comes to indy invasions I use the full 5 troops, rarely suffer any casualties. Afterwards I order a garrison of 3 troops, a small spaceport, wait a minute for the wounded troop to heal, and then pick the sods back up. Next please! When Indies are friendly I use colony ships; helps with reputation, and sometimes free tech or money, etc. If they shoot down one of my sacred (and expensive) colony ships, they will feel the wrath of my shock troops, NO EXCEPTIONS! If the indies look mean from the get-go, I just send in the marines, cant waste resources (or colonists) that early on, and later on, somebody else might get there first

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> Most efficent way to take over planets Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI