Most efficent way to take over planets (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room

AminMaalouf -> Most efficent way to take over planets (8/11/2010 9:10:33 PM)

What is the most efficent way to take over planets with hostile indepant inhabitants?

adecoy95 -> RE: Most efficent way to take over planets (8/11/2010 11:10:35 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AminMaalouf

What is the most efficent way to take over planets with hostile indepant inhabitants?

troop transports

AminMaalouf -> RE: Most efficent way to take over planets (8/12/2010 5:17:45 AM)

Ok, I'll try the old Seabees approach. [:)]

thx

torrenal -> RE: Most efficent way to take over planets (8/13/2010 2:14:25 AM)

Very early in a game, I usually order 4 or so transports, so that when I find a planet I want (be it during a war, or just the odd independent colony I want to take over quickly) I don't need to go scrounging for a transport with troops.  The bonus to taking over a planet with troops is you get it -- cheap.  The bonus to taking over a planet with a colony ship is you can get stuff (read: tech) from it.
//Torrenal

AminMaalouf -> RE: Most efficent way to take over planets (8/13/2010 7:02:13 AM)

Is there a way to increase the chance of success for colonyship to land on a planet with low probablities (red text line)? Well, you try it two or for times but that costs you a lot of cash.

torrenal -> RE: Most efficent way to take over planets (8/14/2010 7:49:12 PM)

Not that I know of -- sure, having a more advanced colony module (read: more colonists) might help in theory, in practice you have what you have for a ship design and either you use that or you don't.
---
In the early game, I'll send a troop transport to one of these planets, no questions. I can't afford to waste colony ships on it.

Mid/Late game, I'll send colony ships, and if I face time pressure (Eep! Rare resource at stake, I need that planet NOW / Is that someone else's colony ship / etc), or if I just get frustrated, I may just send a troop transport.

//Torrenal

AminMaalouf -> RE: Most efficent way to take over planets (8/14/2010 8:04:55 PM)

How many troop transporting ships do pack normally in a fleet to take an independant world? I have tried it with four and had not been successful. It could be that not the transport capacity but the number of transported landing forces was the problem.

WoodMan -> RE: Most efficent way to take over planets (8/15/2010 12:00:54 AM)

In the early game a lot of independant worlds have only 1 troop defending them, so as long as you are a better fighting race you should be able to take it with 1 troop transport with 2 troops onboard.  Remember, races fight better on their native planet types, so keep that in mind, it might tip the balance away from you.

torrenal -> RE: Most efficent way to take over planets (8/15/2010 4:16:50 PM)

My early-game tactic is to just take a full-load troop transport to any planet I plan to seize.  Once I take the planet, I order replacements for any lost troops + 1, rearm the transport once they finish training, and I'm set for the next planet.  Not the fastest turn-around, but 4-5 transports is all I need to work that way.
//Torrenal

WoodMan -> RE: Most efficent way to take over planets (8/15/2010 4:38:17 PM)

I would like to point out that invading independant colonies is immoral.  If they don't want to join you peacefully, leave the poor people alone, you evil gits!!! [:D]

the1sean -> RE: Most efficent way to take over planets (8/16/2010 1:49:06 PM)

Whatever, LET THE GALAXY BURN! MWHAHAHAHAHAHAHA [;)]

When it comes to indy invasions I use the full 5 troops, rarely suffer any casualties. Afterwards I order a garrison of 3 troops, a small spaceport, wait a minute for the wounded troop to heal, and then pick the sods back up. Next please! When Indies are friendly I use colony ships; helps with reputation, and sometimes free tech or money, etc. If they shoot down one of my sacred (and expensive) colony ships, they will feel the wrath of my shock troops, NO EXCEPTIONS! If the indies look mean from the get-go, I just send in the marines, cant waste resources (or colonists) that early on, and later on, somebody else might get there first [:'(]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI