Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles - 5/9/2010 7:17:32 PM   
drillerman

Hi shark7,

Not sure I can be bothered with all the legal stuff, too many real life issues to ponder. So to make it easier for me I have removed all my links for my ships and have taken down my website. Thanks for the info.

< Message edited by drillerman -- 5/9/2010 7:19:43 PM >

Huh?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 31
RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles - 5/9/2010 7:42:14 PM   
Veloxi

The main issue here that I had was that nicodede62 didn't credit the original works in his post, making it look like they were his own. Permission or not, that's just not cool.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 32
RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles - 5/10/2010 2:19:18 AM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: drillerman

Hi shark7,

Not sure I can be bothered with all the legal stuff, too many real life issues to ponder. So to make it easier for me I have removed all my links for my ships and have taken down my website. Thanks for the info.

Sorry to hear that, but I totally understand. I wouldn't release a graphics mod if I were unsure of the legal ramifications either.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to drillerman)
Post #: 33
RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles - 5/10/2010 7:52:24 PM   
Erik Rutins

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812
All Erik is saying here is that it would be appropriate and if nothing else a proper courtesy to ask cliff the GSB developer if he is alright with his artwork being used.Personally I think he'll probably be alright with it and happy at the advertising he'll get.He's getting one additional sale for the full game bundle from me later today or tomorrow and thats thanks to you posting this mod and letting me know GSB existed!

That's exactly it. I think the rest of the stuff here is largely older images that may be public domain or original artwork, but in this case it's in-game artwork from other competing games that are actively being sold. You really need to ask permission and not just credit them in this case.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Tophat1815)
Post #: 34
RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles - 5/14/2010 10:01:39 PM   
Erik Rutins

Have you asked for permission yet, Nicodede? If I don't hear back from you, I will unfortunately have to remove this.

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 35
RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles - 5/14/2010 10:13:43 PM   
drillerman

Erik,

I'll shed some light on this. I actually emailed Cliff before DW was released to ask if it was ok to use the graphics from the game. While he said there was very little he could do to stop it, because of the time, effort and money involved, he was uncomfortable with the graphics being used for another game even as a mod free of charge. He also conceded that it may very well give his game some good advertising. So he actually left the ball in my court, so to speak. I did release some ships sets from GSB with this in the back of my mind but felt slightly guilty about it so I stopped in the end and withdrew my ship sets.
Personally I think there is no harm and I feel it has probably done more for Cliffs game than not. Maybe in the near future I may contact Cliff again and see if he will reconsider.

Thanks

Huh?

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 36
RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles - 5/15/2010 1:16:54 AM   
the1sean

Gratuitous Space Battles is an AWESOME game, unfortunately it doesnt have a campaign :P

Erik, its funny, but I dont feel like GSB and DW are competing games, because they are SO different. I love both of them! GSB is for the quickfix and a chesslike game, and DW is my 4X fix. I can understand not wanting to step on another developer's toes, I just hope that I can use the great artwork in DW sometime in the future. However, I must say that I am a big fan of the DW art style and implementation, and the moddability.

If you do recontact Cliff, drillerman, let him know there are fans of his game that would love to have the art included in mods in homage. GSB has so much character!

< Message edited by the1sean -- 5/15/2010 3:40:39 AM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 37
RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles - 5/18/2010 3:47:29 PM   
nicodede62

From today, there will be more news here. All news will now on my new site in build whose address is in my signature.

All images on the game are deleted, all links are deleted on this forum.
The adventure does not stop, but I dont post more of mod here.

- Pour l'Empereur -

(in reply to the1sean)
Post #: 38
RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles - 5/18/2010 5:01:50 PM   
Veloxi

As long as you give credit to the original owners of the work you're using for the mod, nico, that's fine. Don't wanna take all the credit for yourself, of course. ;)

(in reply to nicodede62)
Post #: 39
RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles - 8/11/2010 12:55:46 AM   
nicodede62

New website: www.wix.com/nicodede62/nicodede62

Enjoy .

< Message edited by nicodede62 -- 8/11/2010 12:56:35 AM >

- Pour l'Empereur -

(in reply to Veloxi)
Post #: 40
RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles - 8/25/2010 8:52:26 AM   
Erio

I can't believe I spent all day trying to figure out how to do this for the empire ships, and after finally getting it done I find its all been done already

(in reply to nicodede62)
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding >> RE: [Mod] Gratuitous Space Battles Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI