Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 7:29:30 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

quote:

ORIGINAL: Panther Bait

I've started to hear rumors that Warner Bros. is thinking about making a new Battle of Midway movie. I'm feeling a few butterflys in my stomach, but I'm not sure if those are the beginnings of fanboy excitement or nausea at how badly Hollyweird could screw this up.

My only hope for something decent is that one of the writers for The Pacific is supposedly involved.

My chief dread is that they are already boasting about it being in 3D.

Mike

P.S. Instead of retreading Midway, why couldn't they try something new, like Leyte Gulf.

Knowing Hollywood, it will probably be a story about 2 young Ensigns who were boyhood friend and both falling in love with a Japanese girl who was put into an internment camp. One night the Ensigns realized that they were more then just "friends". The movie will have 1-1/2 hours about how the Ensigns deal with their personal issues, 15 minutes explaining the significants of "Midway", and 30 minutes of things blowing up.

Warspite1

Tut Tut.. based on the rubbish that was the storyline in TFTSNBN, you've missed an important element of the new Midway plot Charbroiled. Prior to taking part in Midway, the two ensigns fought with the Royal Navy. One personally sank the Bismarck with a well aimed shot from his 40mm gun, after the shells from KGV and Rodney all hopelessly missed their target. Prior to this, his fellow volunteer took part in the same battle. He was on Ark Royal and was so enraged by the incompetence of the first wave of FAA Swordfish pilots, he commandeered a stringbag, took it aloft and singlehandedly launched the torpedo that jammed Bismarck's rudder and sent her sailing toward his buddy .

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Charbroiled)
Post #: 31
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 7:30:03 PM   
Grfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Gnome

I am cringing at the thought of Sylvester Stalone playing Fletcher, flying his P-51D off of the Nimitz to fight the japanese himself, bails out into the midst of the Japanese and procedes to singlehandedly defeat them all shirtless, with an M-60 and hand grenades.

Give him a Thompson and this will be an awesome movie.With a final showdown against a Katana wielding Nagumo and sneaky sniper Genda.

< Message edited by Gräfin Zeppelin -- 8/30/2010 7:39:43 PM >

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 32
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 7:39:50 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

sigh...

[opens drawer, extracts wakizashi. Pens elaborate script on rice paper and opens up shirt...]

Oh, Boy of the Chicken--in what is becoming a common experience to your Posts--I about spewed my Cola in laughter after reading this...

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 33
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 7:42:10 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtrapasso

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nemo121

Oh come on Windtalkers wasn't nearly as bad as The Movie That Shall Not Be Named.... We didn't get treated to scenes of WW2 US troops carrying M16s etc in WindTalkers whereas in TMTSNBN we had modern day Aegis ships being bombed by Kates and Vals * sigh*

The ONLY good thing with that movie when I saw it in the cinema was that when one of the main characters did finally die on-screen and a girl started crying the audience, rightly, mocked her and laughed. Ah, cynicism, thou warmest my cold, dead heart

Of course, in the other Midway movie, we did have Bf 109 and He 111 aircraft, and at least one angled-deck CV... not to mention other historical inaccuracies ...

My wife was in the hospital yesterday and I came upon Midway. Watched the last 45 minutes of it and just shook my head. Try watching that movie NOW after reading Shattered Sword! My wife couldn't understand why I was laughing and complaining about the 'new' version of the truth as presented in that fine book.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to rtrapasso)
Post #: 34
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 7:43:04 PM   
Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1
Tut Tut.. based on the rubbish that was the storyline in TFTSNBN, you've missed an important element of the new Midway plot Charbroiled. Prior to taking part in Midway, the two ensigns fought with the Royal Navy. One personally sank the Bismarck with a well aimed shot from his 40mm gun, after the shells from KGV and Rodney all hopelessly missed their target. Prior to this, his fellow volunteer took part in the same battle. He was on Ark Royal and was so enraged by the incompetence of the first wave of FAA Swordfish pilots, he commandeered a stringbag, took it aloft and singlehandedly launched the torpedo that jammed Bismarck's rudder and sent her sailing toward his buddy .

Oh, I can outdo that for ridiculous, outlandish implausibility! Get this...in the movie, a biplane - ha ha ha ha ha! - manages to score a crippling hit on Bismarck!

How's that for an imagination?!

"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 35
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 7:46:07 PM   
John 3rd

Obviously the Rebel in a Canoe is an Allied Fan Boy...

Reluctant Admiral Mod:

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 36
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 7:48:40 PM   
The Gnome

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Gnome

I am cringing at the thought of Sylvester Stalone playing Fletcher, flying his P-51D off of the Nimitz to fight the japanese himself, bails out into the midst of the Japanese and procedes to singlehandedly defeat them all shirtless, with an M-60 and hand grenades.

Give him a Thompson and this will be an awesome movie.With a final showdown against a Katana wielding Nagumo and sneaky sniper Genda.

That is spot-on hysterical :)

He needs some goofy catch phrase as the movie ends though, maybe floating away from the destroyed and burning IJN Fleet he mutters something like "Gotcha Sucka's".

(in reply to Grfin Zeppelin)
Post #: 37
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 7:51:56 PM   
TOMLABEL

Maybe the new Midway movie can tell the whole story of the VF8 and VB8 fiasco.

Hey, I think Alec Baldwin would be perfect in playing the role of Stanhope Ring!

TOMLABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition: Ship & Sub Art/Base Unit Art/Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 38
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 7:57:12 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Question, hypothetical, one....why has no one ever made a movie about the battles in The Slot. If I were navy I would be rightly upset that the whole narrative is about the Marines.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 39
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 7:59:26 PM   
Onime No Kyo

Tom, your avatar is laboring under some severe top-hamper.

"Mighty is the Thread! Great are its works and insane are its inhabitants!" -Brother Mynok

(in reply to Onime No Kyo)
Post #: 40
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 8:07:28 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Oh, I can outdo that for ridiculous, outlandish implausibility! Get this...in the movie, a biplane - ha ha ha ha ha! - manages to score a crippling hit on Bismarck!

How's that for an imagination?!

Warspite1

Yep - and piloted by Mr Affleck......

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 41
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 8:23:53 PM   
spence

quote:

Question, hypothetical, one....why has no one ever made a movie about the battles in The Slot. If I were navy I would be rightly upset that the whole narrative is about the Marines.

A real "Friday the 13th" movie: 1st night of the Naval Battle of Guadalcanal (or maybe even all of it). But along the lines of "Tora Tora Tora" with the actors playing real people.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 42
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 8:32:11 PM   
The Gnome

Here is the one of the greatest reenactments of the Battle of Pearl Habor; not quite as good as "Tora Tora Tora, but certainly more accurate to the film that should not be mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMqSmiC_xHg

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 43
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 8:38:11 PM   
witpqs

The battle off Samar, but including the several-days at sea ordeal and rescue of the survivors.

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 44
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 9:25:47 PM   
Panther Bait

I think the problem making one movie out of the various naval battles around Guadalcanal/the Slot is that, in general, the battles all included different ships and crews. So the cast count increases quickly, and you have problems with any sort of coherent narrative thread. The Naval side of Guadalcanal/the Solomons campaign would be better served by a HBO-style miniseries, imo.

The various parts of Leyte Gulf, though, could probably be done, although it would still be a monster cast. Even a smaller focus on just one phase of the battle (particularly Taffy 3 off Samar) would be awesome for me.

Mike

< Message edited by Panther Bait -- 8/30/2010 9:26:41 PM >

When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo.

Nathan Dogan, USS Gurnard

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 45
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 9:33:08 PM   
topeverest

Gene Hackman Robert De Niro or should play Nimitz
Tom Hanks as Spruance
Ken Watanbe as as Yamaguchi

Andy M

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 46
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 9:37:36 PM   
The Gnome

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

The battle off Samar, but including the several-days at sea ordeal and rescue of the survivors.

You could tell the story through flashbacks/delirious dreams of a shipwreck survivor as he's floating. That way the ordeal gets told without having to dedicated an entire segment of the the movie to it.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 47
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 9:49:01 PM   
british exil

quote:

Here is the one of the greatest reenactments of the Battle of Pearl Habor; not quite as good as "Tora Tora Tora, but certainly more accurate to the film that should not be mentioned.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMqSmiC_xHg

War is hell!

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 48
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 10:13:37 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

Not just by itself. I'd go for Leyte-Samar AND Surigao. It's got everything one could ask for in the plot. Easily enough for a decent movie.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 49
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 11:22:34 PM   
ckk

quote:

I've started to hear rumors that Warner Bros. is thinking about making a new Battle of Midway movie. I'm feeling a few butterflys in my stomach, but I'm not sure if those are the beginnings of fanboy excitement or nausea at how badly Hollyweird could screw this up.

My only hope for something decent is that one of the writers for The Pacific is supposedly involved.

Mike

P.S. Instead of retreading Midway, why couldn't they try something new, like Leyte Gulf.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=28781

The news article- Call Warners Bros. and McKenna and get your ideas in now

(in reply to Panther Bait)
Post #: 50
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 11:25:57 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Not just by itself. I'd go for Leyte-Samar AND Surigao. It's got everything one could ask for in the plot.

Except an audience to pay for the $400 million budget. Those kinds of movies don't get made anymore, certainly not about 70-YO events.

About 40% of the US population doesn't know who we fought in WWII. You think they know from Samar?

The Moose

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 51
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/30/2010 11:43:47 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Not just by itself. I'd go for Leyte-Samar AND Surigao. It's got everything one could ask for in the plot.

Except an audience to pay for the $400 million budget. Those kinds of movies don't get made anymore, certainly not about 70-YO events.

About 40% of the US population doesn't know who we fought in WWII. You think they know from Samar?

They don't have to know Samar. The movie, done well, would be what audiences want. They would love it.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 52
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 1:14:12 AM   
vettim89

A movie I would eally like to see remade is 30 Seconds Over Tokyo. Ted Lawson's original book is about so much more than the raid. What is often lost is that the raid was conducted by pilots from teh 17th BG who had only recently started flying the B-25. The fact that 13 of the sixteen crews made it out of China is incredible (counting the one crew aho lost a man but not the Vladivostok crew). The utter kindness and sacrifice the the CHinese people that aided the airmen is also amazing considering the risks they were taking.

Of course, after the miserable distortion of the raid in the movie that shall not be mentioned, I for one would love to see the historical events brought to the screen. Now we all know that is not going to happen

"We have met the enemy and they are ours" - Commodore O.H. Perry

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 53
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 1:31:55 AM   
Ramjet

I thought "The Great Raid" was nicely done. Showed the brutality of the Japanese, the determination of the Americans, and the courage of the Filipino Guerrillas who took significant casualties holding off the Japanese. I read up on the effort after the movie; truely an amazing feat by all whom participated.

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 54
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 1:58:56 AM   
jomni

I haven't seen The Great Raid but it wasn't a major motion picture that was released everywhere.  Too bad it lacked the publicity.

(in reply to Ramjet)
Post #: 55
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 2:12:08 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: jomni

I haven't seen The Great Raid but it wasn't a major motion picture that was released everywhere.  Too bad it lacked the publicity.

Been on the movie channels a few times now, maybe you can find it. The book of the same name (sorry forget the author) is well worth a read.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 56
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 2:24:07 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

They don't have to know Samar. The movie, done well, would be what audiences want. They would love it.

I agree, if it got made. But it won't. You're talking "Avatar" money, with no champion like Cameron to sell it to the money men. A huge cast, and all-CGI exteriors. There's no contract system to keep the extras low-paid anymore. Not to mention the cost of going on location for much of it.

Outside that, it would take too much back-story to fully bring an unschooled audience to the point they understood what was at stake. And, with no women in the cast, you lose half the audience--the half that chooses the movie (backed up by research.) The last time they did that was for "Master and Commander", where women appear in only one scene, Large Slow Target style. Despite Russel Crowe at the height of his popularity, a script that was excellent, and historical detail to please the grognards, the movie limped in and out of theaters. We here can bewail the romance in "Pearl Harbor", but it was there for very good business reasons. And movie-making is a business.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 8/31/2010 2:28:37 AM >

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 57
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 2:29:14 AM   
jomni

Good point.  My wife appreciated Pearl Harbor's love aspect.  The movie has substance for her. We watched it together.
Not like Black Hawk Down, which I kinda liked. Another war movie that we watched together. At least it had some good looking guys like Orlando Bloom.
She never accompnied me while I watched BOB and The Pacific. But she kinda appreciated the fact that The Pacific had several love scenes.

You mentioned "Avatar"... Wouldn't a WW2 movie in 3D be cool!

< Message edited by jomni -- 8/31/2010 2:35:17 AM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 58
RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie - 8/31/2010 2:35:57 AM   
AW1Steve

I'd like to see Coral Sea as a movie.

(in reply to jomni)
Post #: 59
Flagrant Violation of TOU - 8/31/2010 2:38:34 AM   
Canoerebel

Wow, back-to-back usages of the actual name of The Movie that Shall Not Be Named.

Hey, boys, there's a reason that movie shall not be named. Now you've gone and ruined the digestive systems of 98.57% of the good people that use this forum.

Repent, or you shall be forced to watch the following movies in sequence: Dances with Wolves, Cold Mountain, Patriot, and Kelly's Heroes.

P.S. If anybody feels like defending any of these movies, just hold your tongue, go get a big glass of milk, and look at yourself in the mirror tomorrow morning.

< Message edited by Canoerebel -- 8/31/2010 2:39:43 AM >

(in reply to The Gnome)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Slightly off topic - New Midway movie Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI