Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

whats your faverote race and why?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> whats your faverote race and why? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
whats your faverote race and why? - 8/4/2010 7:20:07 AM   
adecoy95

lately i have been enjoying the Gizureans alot, their extremely fast reproduction and aggressiveness combined with a wopping 35% reduction in ship maintenance makes it easy to build large fleets and even easier to conquer worlds.

they are not very smart tho, so research is slow, but i find most of my research in this game comes from other places than myself anyways.
Post #: 1
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/4/2010 6:24:06 PM   
WoodMan

I'm one of those boring types who usually plays Humans 

Don't know why, I'm always playing Humans in games, I guess its because I like experiencing contact with the other Aliens from a Human point of view.  As for the other races I have played Zeenox and Shandar for a bit.  I like the sound of Mortalen from their background, haven't tried a game with them yet though.  Hopefully sometime soon I'll have time to go ahead and play a Feudal Mortalen society

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 2
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/4/2010 6:43:26 PM   
Vanguard_DW

Humans mainly for me, nothing to do with their stats, just don't like playing a game as an alien species conquering Mankind, just doesn't feel right
No qualms about nuking a planet full of humans whilst playing humans though

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 3
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/5/2010 2:17:37 AM   
torrenal

Been playing with the Zenox. Their shields are Great Stuff for early Troop Transports, letting me confidently conqure enemy planets with a single ship. Alternatively, I can just aim a transport at some pirates and let them duke-it-out till one side or the other runs out of fuel, or some Real Warships turn up to settle the battle :)

Course, the bonuses of their special government, Technocracy can be nice for gaining a decent edge on the neighbors, especially as I don't need to waste effort in researching shields.
//Torrenal

(in reply to Vanguard_DW)
Post #: 4
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/6/2010 9:10:01 PM   
LeonTheNeon

I was primarily playing the Teekans although I've stopped because I think they're a bit unbalanced.

Why?

A - I like the idea of my leader being "His Supreme Cheesiness"

B - The combine more money with less maintenance, which when I first looked at seemed to me to be a good combination.

C - I don't like races with free tech

D - I don't like insect-like races

E - They remind me of my daughter's pet gerbil

Ok... mainly reason B, but there you go. Money, in most games, gives you options. In many games, all options can be ultimately reduced to "money". Options gives you flexibility. Flexibility is, generally speaking, key to my way of conducting warfare. For the record, in real life I'm a military officer and my current job is to be the "red team" commander so I guess at the moment this is near and dear to my way of thinking.

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 5
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/6/2010 10:17:53 PM   
Gertjan

i have played with various races, ip those that have useful bonuses. In addition, I have played quite a bit with the humans for the reasons already mentioned by others.

(in reply to LeonTheNeon)
Post #: 6
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/7/2010 12:04:21 PM   
yurtoman

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

I'm one of those boring types who usually plays Humans 

Don't know why, I'm always playing Humans in games, I guess its because I like experiencing contact with the other Aliens from a Human point of view.  As for the other races I have played Zeenox and Shandar for a bit.  I like the sound of Mortalen from their background, haven't tried a game with them yet though.  Hopefully sometime soon I'll have time to go ahead and play a Feudal Mortalen society

Certainly I am a boring player too . I've Always played the human race for the same reasons as you.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 7
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/7/2010 12:48:52 PM   
WoodMan

And the scores so far

Human = 4
Zeenox = 2
Gizurean = 1
Teekan = 1
Shandar = 1

(in reply to yurtoman)
Post #: 8
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/7/2010 3:53:30 PM   
tornnight

Humans for me. Since my first space game.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 9
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/7/2010 11:33:42 PM   
martok

The Kiadans for me. I tend to enjoy playing the research-heavy races/factions.

"Evil is easy, and has infinite forms." -- Pascal

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 10
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/8/2010 12:15:45 AM   
ASHBERY76

I tend to play the Dhayut mainly because I am a Tarantula in real life.

(in reply to martok)
Post #: 11
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/9/2010 11:28:56 AM   
Fishman

Dhayut. MUST DRIVE FASTER. Ships are never freaking where they need to be, when they need to be. Plus, they remind me of the Ur-Quan.

Every other stat they have sucks, though. The need for a slave empire...also reminds me of the Ur-Quan.

< Message edited by Fishman -- 8/9/2010 11:29:46 AM >

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 12
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/9/2010 3:50:48 PM   
Erik Rutins

I definitely recommend trying all the races. Many of them really do play quite differently. The Gizureans are a great example of a change of pace and some of the race-specific tech makes the games feel quite different (like the Zenox or Dhayut). Playing a militarily weak but financially secure race can also be a good challenge. Some races are not suited to some playstyles, but if you try all the races you should find one that's perfect for you and each of the races can give you a fresh perspective on the gameplay of DW.

When I'm just playing, I usually play Humans (typically Republic), Dhayut (typically Feudal), Gizureans (typically Hive Mind), Kiaidian and Mortalen.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Fishman)
Post #: 13
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/28/2010 9:04:32 AM   
J HG T

Kiadians for me. I'm sucker for everything high-tech. Also their morals and ways feel something I can relate to. Have also played little with Xenox. Feels like a race I will be playing more.
Haven't tested other races much yet. Gotta try at least Teekans and Haakonis and couple of those aquatic races and maybe Shandars.

Nothing is impossible, not if you can imagine it!
"And they hurled themselves into the void of space with no fear."

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 14
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/28/2010 1:19:49 PM   
AminMaalouf

Haakonish, though it's an exploit to buy lots of techs from others. :)

(in reply to J HG T)
Post #: 15
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/28/2010 2:28:37 PM   
WoodMan

Btw, if you haven't played Teekan Merch Guild before, try it!  It's totally different to playing Humans (especially if you keep ship design on auto).  Much easier to expand because of Desert and cheaper ships because of the maintenence, however their basic tech Destroyer have the same firepower as a Human Frigate and their Spaceports have no weapons at all  Also, their troops suck

"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking

(in reply to AminMaalouf)
Post #: 16
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/28/2010 3:30:47 PM   
Foraven

I prefer human, and usually play as a republic. But i started a game with militaristic humans, i'll see how it turn out.

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 17
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/28/2010 10:03:02 PM   
torrenal

I've found that government type can have as big an impact on the style of play as the race can....

FYI: Way of the Darkness, sees the World destroyer as a hammer, and everything else as a nail in search of a hammer...  (so much so that I had to decomission the thing just to get the game to auto-suggest attacks for my fleets during a war...)

//Torrenal

(in reply to Foraven)
Post #: 18
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/29/2010 3:51:51 AM   
the1sean

quote:

ORIGINAL: WoodMan
I like the sound of Mortalen from their background, haven't tried a game with them yet though.  Hopefully sometime soon I'll have time to go ahead and play a Feudal Mortalen society

That sounds like a cool game!

(in reply to WoodMan)
Post #: 19
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/29/2010 4:09:04 AM   
the1sean

quote:

ORIGINAL: torrenal
I've found that government type can have as big an impact on the style of play as the race can....

Very true!

quote:

ORIGINAL: torrenal
FYI: Way of the Darkness, sees the World destroyer as a hammer, and everything else as a nail in search of a hammer...  (so much so that I had to decomission the thing just to get the game to auto-suggest attacks for my fleets during a war...)

LOL!

In general I also play Human Republics. I had a really fun game playing a Gizurean Hive mind, though. Everyone hated me, first I conquered all the other bug races. Next my plan was to wreck shop on all the remaining "squishy races", but I won by colony count

This thread is getting me fired up about playing some crazy combos with auto ship design on (usually I am a custom ship whore, one of my favorite "classic" features of DW). It reminds me of all the custom race games of MoO2. At first I would build the uber-race. Years later I would build the crappiest race possible and try and score extra victory points for being genetically backwards losers. Fun times

(in reply to torrenal)
Post #: 20
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 8/29/2010 4:39:49 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: ASHBERY76

I tend to play the Dhayut mainly because I am a Tarantula in real life.

I step on tarantulas, is that going to be a problem?

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to ASHBERY76)
Post #: 21
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 9/2/2010 1:13:39 AM   
T_K

Your typical republican human here. Same for all space games I play.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 22
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 9/3/2010 4:37:43 AM   
Xkill

I'm probably the most confused player here, cause i play mostly with Humans, then with the Securans, but my prefered race are the Zenox, maybe cause of their advanced research speed under the Technocracy Government.

(in reply to T_K)
Post #: 23
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 9/3/2010 11:05:32 AM   
Bingeling

I have not really played that many games, but I always find that race called Random interesting

(in reply to Xkill)
Post #: 24
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 10/17/2010 5:16:59 PM   
Jeeves

Has anyone tried Boskara? I was thinking about trying them for a change of pace from always playing human in my next game. Advantages :
1) As an insect you have good relations with other insects. Once you hit heroic reputation, the non-insect races will not particularly care that you are one of the bad guys.
2) Only the Gizurean, Atuuk, and Securan races reproduce faster.
3) War weariness of -70 is the best there is...
4) Troop -25 is beaten only by Ikkuro and Naxillian.
5) Although intelligence is normal at 0, aggressiveness is the best there is, +40, great troops!

Disadvantages? Caution -28, friendliness -16, dependability -20.

If you ever played as a Boskara, please tell me how it worked out!

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 25
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 10/18/2010 2:15:52 AM   
WriterNotViking

Quameno, Mortalen, Ikkuro, Human. I'd like to play as Ketarov, but their base animations are so ugly... Same as the Xenox, I think. Just some pale yellow, low resolution starfish that's attached itself to my colony. It ruins the game for me!

(in reply to Jeeves)
Post #: 26
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 11/28/2010 7:53:50 PM   
Chennik

My favourite is the Securan race , with 23% base grow rate and the Utopian governement, they are definitely the sexiest race in the galaxy and it makes the expension realy easy.

Well im actually a noob and i play in peaceful galaxies, with Shandars as ally ^^

< Message edited by Chennik -- 11/28/2010 7:56:12 PM >

(in reply to WriterNotViking)
Post #: 27
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 11/29/2010 9:31:46 AM   
AminMaalouf

I play usually only factions that start with one planet as not all do my selection is a bit reduced. I hope after the addon all factions can be started with one planet at the beginning.

(in reply to Chennik)
Post #: 28
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 11/29/2010 10:31:43 AM   
adecoy95

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chennik

My favourite is the Securan race , with 23% base grow rate and the Utopian governement, they are definitely the sexiest race in the galaxy and it makes the expension realy easy.

Well im actually a noob and i play in peaceful galaxies, with Shandars as ally ^^

don't forget their happiness bonus, you can get max tax rate and still have 50 smileys on your worlds

(in reply to Chennik)
Post #: 29
RE: whats your faverote race and why? - 11/29/2010 11:35:48 PM   
zinki

In my recent game i found that securan + 50% tax rates leads to an interesting side effect. The result is that your empire makes a lot of passenger ships, which went for the nearby enemy colonies. At end game when i started conquering i found that in most enemy colonies securan was either the largest race on planets or the second. Also several enemy colonies had around 100-140 of my own passenger ships waiting to drop population( on the colony waiting list there were around 100-140 ships).

Lately i am trying some war orientated races as i am usually not sure what to do with passive mercantile races in late game. Actually i think i am gonna try the boskara just now :).

(in reply to adecoy95)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> whats your faverote race and why? Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI