Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

TOAW or TOW

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris >> TOAW or TOW Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TOAW or TOW - 9/2/2010 11:05:19 PM   
MT Melon

Hi all.

Once again Matrix is fishing with great bait and hooked this little fish on their line. Thinking of buying tonight if I can ask one question.
Is the gameplay more like TOAW with its more indepth historical feel and the feeling you are involved in a sweeping epic battle , or is it more like TOW that IMO seems to blur the complexity and realism to offer a more "diluted" version of these same battles. I realize that TOAW is more operational as compared to TOW with its more strategic flow , but I am just wondering about the "feel" of the game , as illusive as that term may sound.
Thanks for any light you can shed on this.
Post #: 1
RE: TOAW or TOW - 9/2/2010 11:17:22 PM   
borsook79

quote:

ORIGINAL: Private Parts

Hi all.

Once again Matrix is fishing with great bait and hooked this little fish on their line. Thinking of buying tonight if I can ask one question.
Is the gameplay more like TOAW with its more indepth historical feel and the feeling you are involved in a sweeping epic battle , or is it more like TOW that IMO seems to blur the complexity and realism to offer a more "diluted" version of these same battles. I realize that TOAW is more operational as compared to TOW with its more strategic flow , but I am just wondering about the "feel" of the game , as illusive as that term may sound.

It's really hard to compare... but I'd say it's closer to TOAW if anything... but the game is rather unique, and much more streamlined than TOAW and hence easier to play.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw

(in reply to MT Melon)
Post #: 2
RE: TOAW or TOW - 9/2/2010 11:29:12 PM   
MT Melon

Thanks Borsook.

I suppose then that this is like neither of them and has cleared in own path through the forest of games. Nothing wrong with that. Thanks for the response.

(in reply to borsook79)
Post #: 3
RE: TOAW or TOW - 9/3/2010 11:00:47 AM   
borsook79

quote:

Thanks Borsook.

I suppose then that this is like neither of them and has cleared in own path through the forest of games. Nothing wrong with that. Thanks for the response.

Yes, it is an expansion on the Advanced tactics engine, so if you know this one, you should get the idea of the mechanics. I think that neither of the two games has a demo (unfortunately), but the AT predecessor - People's tactics is I think freeware so you could check that out. Just remember that the game system made great progress since that time.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw

(in reply to MT Melon)
Post #: 4
RE: TOAW or TOW - 9/3/2010 2:12:13 PM   
Josh

quote:

ORIGINAL: Borsook

quote:

Hi all.

It's really hard to compare... but I'd say it's closer to TOAW if anything... but the game is rather unique, and much more streamlined than TOAW and hence easier to play.

+1

Closer to TOAW than TOW.
I love the complexity of TOAW, but hate the UI and gameplay. (especially the complexity of moving/attacking all of your units at the same time, or get a turnburn. My mind just doesn't get to grips with it) So I was looking for a complexe game with a lot of depth and historicity, without the hassle of a cluncky UI.
WitE and WiF come to mind, but they are some time away, so this one fits perfectly.

(in reply to borsook79)
Post #: 5
RE: TOAW or TOW - 9/3/2010 4:04:44 PM   
MT Melon

Thanks for your responses guys. Josh , that is exactly my sentiments about TOAW. While I can still enjoy that game it will be refreshing to try one that is similar but with a softer center. Another fish yanked into the Matrix boat.

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 6
RE: TOAW or TOW - 9/3/2010 9:28:05 PM   
TPM

quote:

+1

Closer to TOAW than TOW.
I love the complexity of TOAW, but hate the UI and gameplay. (especially the complexity of moving/attacking all of your units at the same time, or get a turnburn. My mind just doesn't get to grips with it) So I was looking for a complexe game with a lot of depth and historicity, without the hassle of a cluncky UI.
WitE and WiF come to mind, but they are some time away, so this one fits perfectly.

Just gotta jump in and say, yeah, I could never figure out that system in TOAW...the game was so great, but that whole combat round/time system ruined it for me. It seems like a great idea, and I tried hard to understand it, but I just never got it...

(in reply to Josh)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Decisive Campaigns Series >> Decisive Campaigns: The Blitzkrieg from Warsaw to Paris >> TOAW or TOW Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI