Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

other than large battles...is it vastly different than SB?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> other than large battles...is it vastly different than SB? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
other than large battles...is it vastly different than SB? - 9/10/2010 6:37:12 PM   
gabeeg

I have been interested in this title for some time. I am a big Tiller Fan. Watching the game play videos that are availble it looks like it plays very, very similar to HPS squad battles. I know that the interface is very different and the scale of battles can be quite a bit larger...but is the game play basically the same? TIA for any input!

Kind Regards,

Harry
Post #: 1
RE: other than large battles...is it vastly different t... - 9/11/2010 3:35:00 PM   
countblue

The scale of battle can be truly very,very large.

At the moment I am playing a selfmade scen (250 turns) where I am commandig a german panzer corps (5 Div)  vs. a russian force of equal or slightly greater strength.
One turn might take something between 30 min to 2 hours commanding time and about 20 to  40 mins on reaction time from the AI.
On a dualcore PC with 2.2 ghz and 2 gig RAM. So this scenario will take some weeks to play but I like that.

I am sure there are others in this community with even larger examples.

regards
Countlbue

(in reply to gabeeg)
Post #: 2
RE: other than large battles...is it vastly different t... - 9/12/2010 9:42:54 PM   
borsook79

quote:

ORIGINAL: gabeeg

I have been interested in this title for some time. I am a big Tiller Fan. Watching the game play videos that are availble it looks like it plays very, very similar to HPS squad battles. I know that the interface is very different and the scale of battles can be quite a bit larger...but is the game play basically the same? TIA for any input!

I know JTCS pretty well, and recently I tried SB. I was able to get right into it without reading the manual. In terms of game mechanics the games are pretty similar. The scale is different, you have dynamic (random) campaigns and the graphic are much better in JTCS. The interface is a tiny bit better in SB.

"Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - G.B. Shaw

(in reply to gabeeg)
Post #: 3
RE: other than large battles...is it vastly different t... - 9/14/2010 2:18:17 AM   
V22 Osprey

They are pretty similar, but the difference in scale is what really makes these games different. In JTCS, you can command a battalion or even division with relative ease. In squad battles, a Battalion is rather on the large side of scenarios. You can own both and still have fun. Sometimes I just don't feel like commanding and worrying about the status of every single squad, sometimes I just want to give one order to the whole platoon(as in JTCS) and be on my way.

Art by rogueusmc.

(in reply to borsook79)
Post #: 4
RE: other than large battles...is it vastly different t... - 9/14/2010 2:29:58 AM   
jomni

SB has some fun details that you can play with, more akin to X-Com and Jagged Alliance like weapons management (swapping around and picking the right ammo type for the right target).  Ordering them to take cover / crawl and rally troops.

JTCS scale is larger and more focused on larger operations.  So it depends on your preference of scale.  I have both and play both of them.  JTSC is actually simpler and more abstract than SB. It's all about moving and shooting and gaining objectives. Because of the scale, the game adds the supply element (again not too complicated).

< Message edited by jomni -- 9/14/2010 2:32:34 AM >

(in reply to V22 Osprey)
Post #: 5
RE: other than large battles...is it vastly different t... - 9/14/2010 10:46:36 AM   
MrRoadrunner

Harry,

Your description is spot on. JTCS is the next step up in the scale chain from Squad Battles.
In SB the squad/half squad objectives are buildings, crossroads, bridges, etc. In JTCS it is towns, and battle areas that include bridges, etc.

JTCS is really suited for up to Division level combat but, in my opinion, that is pushing it. Six minute turns and 250 meter hexes seem more fit for Brigade/Regiment size battles.
It is an ideal game at battalion level with about an hour or two of fighting.

If you are a gamer and already like SB you cannot go wrong with JTCS.

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

(in reply to gabeeg)
Post #: 6
RE: other than large battles...is it vastly different t... - 9/14/2010 5:49:55 PM   
gabeeg

THanks everyone for the responses. The dynamic campaign(s) and huge number of scenarios makes this title enticing to me. I love the game play and scale of SB. Sounds like jtcs has the game play and a larger scale which might be interesting...may have to pull the trigger....

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 7
RE: other than large battles...is it vastly different t... - 9/14/2010 6:34:57 PM   
andym

Go for it,you wont  be dissapointed.Also check out the OPeration Overlord scenario.If you like big games then this is the one for you,over 1500 turns!

Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!

(in reply to gabeeg)
Post #: 8
RE: other than large battles...is it vastly different t... - 9/16/2010 7:47:44 AM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: countblue

The scale of battle can be truly very,very large.

At the moment I am playing a selfmade scen (250 turns) where I am commandig a german panzer corps (5 Div)  vs. a russian force of equal or slightly greater strength.
One turn might take something between 30 min to 2 hours commanding time and about 20 to  40 mins on reaction time from the AI.
On a dualcore PC with 2.2 ghz and 2 gig RAM. So this scenario will take some weeks to play but I like that.

I am sure there are others in this community with even larger examples.

regards
Countlbue

Are you looking for a human opponent

(in reply to countblue)
Post #: 9
RE: other than large battles...is it vastly different t... - 9/16/2010 1:56:08 PM   
countblue

I have to miss out on that one sorry.
I am afraid I am a not too good player to qualify for PBEM.
Also a scen that huge played by EM vs a Human Opponent would probably take a year or so.
Though it might be quite some fun for those who have the passion and the patience.

But thanks for the invite. I take this as a compliment.

regards
CB

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 10
RE: other than large battles...is it vastly different t... - 9/18/2010 8:51:37 AM   
Zap

Not too good a player.

Nor am I.

Sometimes, those who create a scenario like to see how it plays out against humans. It sounds like a long one. Presently been in a tournament (friends from Spain) that one has been going about a year.

But good luck hope you make a good one. I know there are those who like large scenarios. Adding another possible scenario of this size would be welcomed by many.

You should be complimented on the effort.

(in reply to countblue)
Post #: 11
RE: other than large battles...is it vastly different t... - 9/18/2010 5:16:57 PM   
countblue

Ok. You got me hooked.

What I (only) did, as a matter of fact was only to enhance and experiment with an already large example of the old EF scenario standards. Wintergewitter. I think I D/L this one sometime 2004 from the Talonsoft site but I am not really sure anymore.

To me "Wintergewitter" is a icon in the EF battle history that has never played out because of the weather restrictions at the time it was set in reality.
So I redid it as "Sommergewitter" and with some differences in the OOB, nevertheless close to the original.
Not historically accurate but for fun.
First I expanded the map from 100x72 to 110 x 170 mainly to the north in order to present at least a small part of the troops inside Stalingrad pocket. (only the 44th Inf Div) The breakout force so to speak.
Then I completly redid the OOB from scratch (of course) to include some specialtites for wich I wanted to test.

I am still playtesting it against the AI but I think this one at its present stage wont work against Human Opponent, its to biased. But I could redo it adapted for VS Human player.

CB

< Message edited by countblue -- 9/18/2010 5:42:15 PM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 12
RE: other than large battles...is it vastly different t... - 10/25/2010 8:26:38 AM   
gabeeg

Well, hell...the Matrix fall sale was the final straw...I purchased JTCS. I have been playing around with it and I think I made a good choice, so far it has been a blast and I only have scratched the surface. What is really amazing is the amount of scenarios and representation of various fronts during WWII. Thanks again for the information everyone.

(in reply to gabeeg)
Post #: 13
RE: other than large battles...is it vastly different t... - 10/25/2010 3:44:59 PM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: gabeeg

Well, hell...the Matrix fall sale was the final straw...I purchased JTCS. I have been playing around with it and I think I made a good choice, so far it has been a blast and I only have scratched the surface. What is really amazing is the amount of scenarios and representation of various fronts during WWII. Thanks again for the information everyone.

And don't forget it comes with a full suite of editors.

The possibilities are endless!

Jason Petho

(in reply to gabeeg)
Post #: 14
RE: other than large battles...is it vastly different t... - 10/26/2010 2:09:52 AM   
jomni

Enjoy the game! 

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> other than large battles...is it vastly different than SB? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI